Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

On another note, I don't expect us to sign any big name player, but I expect us to get a couple of players in before 2 September. I feel we're going over old ground a lot on the thread at the moment. There is virtually nothing to talk about except the friendly on Tuesday, Van Gaal's first match at OT. Are any of you going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Arsenal fans must feel like their club is coming out of a recession.

They have finally started spending money again and the future looks bright for them. It wouldn't shock me if they won the league this year. They were flying last year till the injuries wrecked them.

Thats why I'm not putting any money on us being league winners this year as I think there are 3 very good teams in this league that have their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

sigmundv wrote: »
    On another note, I don't expect us to sign any big name player, but I expect us to get a couple of players in before 2 September. I feel we're going over old ground a lot on the thread at the moment. There is virtually nothing to talk about except the friendly on Tuesday, Van Gaal's first match at OT. Are any of you going?

There's an awful whiff of changing the subject off that post :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

sigmundv wrote: »
    Of course it's a joke with a picture of Welbz with dreads drawn on him.

Ah, the old double bluff...your one went over everyone's head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

10,000 posts :eek:
    Suppose I better say something interesting.
    I'm actually a Liverpool fan, I've been trolling the sh*t out of you all for years. Ha ha in your face losers, enjoy the race for the Europa League again.
    YNWA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

10,000 posts :eek:
    Suppose I better say something interesting.
    I'm actually a Liverpool fan, I've been trolling the sh*t out of you all for years. Ha ha in your face losers, enjoy the race for the Europa League again.
    YNWA.

Tempted to do you for admitting to trolling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tempted to do you for admitting to trolling :P

Wait for the uproar when you admit to it in 10 posts time! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

There's an awful whiff of changing the subject off that post :P
    Well, there wasn't really any subject. Just trying to find something to chat about... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Too early for a final PL league position prediction debate? Should we wait for Vidal to sign? :pac:

irishfeen wrote: »
    Too early for a final PL league position prediction debate? Should we wait for Vidal to sign? :pac:

Should be waiting till the window closes before we make final predictions. Could say something now, and then sign 11 world class players tomorrow and look quite foolish....

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Should be waiting till the window closes before we make final predictions. Could say something now, and then sign 11 world class players tomorrow and look quite foolish....
    Ha we'll probably look stupid anyway... I think with our current squad we will finish 5th behind Chelsea, City, The Pool and Arsenal... I think we would be very close to top 4 but the strength and depth of the other would pull through if we got a few injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think the LVG factor will be a big plus for us this season... Having a manager with method, a system and who the players respect and who will take no **** off will make all the difference.

Having said that other teams have strengthend considerably in the off season and out performed us in the transfer market with some shrewd signings. Even if we make a couple of additions in the window... Who I'd expect to be the likes of Daley Blind rather then a marquee squad changing signing I don't think we will complete for the title.

I think we can get fourth I'm backing us to finish ahead of Liverpool they have thrown a lot of cash around trying to cover the crack that is basically the loss of the Suarez factor but he was so much of that Liverpool team I think they will struggle ..so I'm saying Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, United in that order.

Strumms wrote: »
    I think the LVG factor will be a big plus for us this season... Having a manager with method, a system and who the players respect and who will take no **** off will make all the difference.

Having said that other teams have strengthend considerably in the off season and out performed us in the transfer market with some shrewd signings. Even if we make a couple of additions in the window... Who I'd expect to be the likes of Daley Blind rather then a marquee squad changing signing I don't think we will complete for the title.

I think we can easily of fourth I'm backing us to finish ahead of Liverpool they have thrown a lot of cash around trying to cover the crack that is basically the loss of the Suarez factor ..so I'm saying Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, United in that order.
    Yeah I think it will be 4th or 5th - Chelsea, City and Arsenal are substantially ahead of us and you could argue Liverpool are to an extent too. No CL this year will probably be worth 5 or more points to us and it all depends how the rest cope with the busy schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

From Sunday Mirror
    Borussia Dortmund make Man United target Mats Hummels club captain as Bundesliga side look to hold on to stars

Borussia-Dortmund-v-Borussia-Moenchengladbach-Bundesliga.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

No Sign on Vidal, Limerick fail to win in croker and Copper soaked to the skin.

A bad day all round

A bad day all round
    Don't worry we'll take care of them Cats on the 1st Sunday of September and Vidal will sign by Friday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard look copper.

Next year;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I think we can get fourth I'm backing us to finish ahead of Liverpool they have thrown a lot of cash around trying to cover the crack that is basically the loss of the Suarez factor but he was so much of that Liverpool team I think they will struggle ..so I'm saying Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, United in that order.

I realise it was a friendly, something I don't put too much thought into but did you see Liverpool today by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

A bad day all round

horrible day. Should have won we were the better side and as you said Vidal got lost on his way to old Trafford. Ah well hopefully we wil win next Saturday against swansea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

On the phone and can't link but good to hear Blind sounding positive about a move to United in the Times, holds more weight than the mirror or other sunday tabloids.Also,his father was involved with Van Gaal in the Dutch set up ,wasn't aware of that.Only downside is that Barca are supposedly sniffing round also. Hopefully the vermalhan deal will put an end to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I realise it was a friendly, something I don't put too much thought into but did you see Liverpool today by any chance?

saw us beat them 3-1 in a friendly (and beat Real Madrid), so i'm not going to get blown over by any of their own results.

On the phone and can't link but good to hear Blind sounding positive about a move to United in the Times, holds more weight than the mirror or other sunday tabloids.Also,his father was involved with Van Gaal in the Dutch set up ,wasn't aware of that.Only downside is that Barca are supposedly sniffing round also. Hopefully the vermalhan deal will put an end to that.
    for me, Blind could still only be one of 3 signings needed - minimum. Him, a centre back and a central midfielder.

No, I am aware of the good result in their home friendly vs Dortmund this afternoon alright and what was supposed to be a very good performance but you alluded to it yourself... Nothing to put much focus on. United also looked very good right throughout pre-season and while that's never a bad thing you need a certain and varied armoury to do well in the PL and I just feel United have a little more going for them if they get in a couple more defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United beat Liverpool and it's a meaningless nothing friendly with absolutely no significance whatsoever, Liverpool beat a second string Dortmund and they're going to win the league the champions league and the eurovision

United beat Liverpool and it's a meaningless nothing friendly with absolutely no significance whatsoever, Liverpool beat a second string Dortmund and they're going to win the league the champions league and the eurovision

Did you intentionally miss the point I made about not buying into friendly results? Anything for a "thanks" with you isn't it, you must be a hoot on Facebook swimming in likes I bet.

Did you intentionally miss the point I made about not buying into friendly results? Anything for a "thanks" with you isn't it, you must be a hoot on Facebook swimming in likes I bet.

If your point was you can't read anything in to their result, why bring it up at all?

No, I am aware of the good result in their home friendly vs Dortmund this afternoon alright and what was supposed to be a very good performance but you alluded to it yourself... Nothing to put much focus on. United also looked very good right throughout pre-season and while that's never a bad thing you need a certain and varied armoury to do well in the PL and I just feel United have a little more going for them if they get in a couple more defenders.

I'll talk to you, you seem to speak sense unlike young Rayne there.

The point I was going to make was how different Liverpool look with Sturridge up front as opposed to Lambert, obviously losing Suarez is huge but I think the signing of Lovren aswell as strengthening the squad as a whole will be enough to secure top 4 again this season.

If your point was you can't read anything in to their result, why bring it up at all?

See the post below your one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I still think its a ****ing joke that Barca are allowed to sign players at all. Like a soft parent, FIFA set a punishment and when the kid whinged they said "Ahh go on, sign a few players then but thats it! No more being bold."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I suspect today is only the beginning of a great week.
    Kilkenny have won - the Manchester United of Hurling.
    Manchester United with two matches this week...and I expect signings this week, maybe after the Valencia game.
    Vidal to recover from injury and to be signed, along with a defender.

for me, Blind could still only be one of 3 signings needed - minimum. Him, a centre back and a central midfielder.

He would be a good signing and LVG would know how to get the best out of him. Good on the ball and can play in a variety of positions. Many have compared his potential signing to us having a new John O'Shea type utility player but I'd rate him a bit higher then that to be honest and could see him being very competitive in terms of challenging for a regular starting position.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I still think its a ****ing joke that Barca are allowed to sign players at all. Like a soft parent, FIFA set a punishment and when the kid whinged they said "Ahh go on, sign a few players then but thats it! No more being bold."

thats not what happened.

They were punished by FIFA. They they lodged an appeal with CAS, and the punishment couldn't remain in place while the appeal was pending. Nowt FIFA could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Happy Birthday Roy.

xKeanoHarland.jpg

He would be a good signing and LVG would know how to get the best out of him. Good on the ball and can play in a variety of positions. Many have compared his potential signing to us having a new John O'Shea type utility player but I'd rate him a bit higher then that to be honest and could see him being very competitive in terms of challenging for a regular starting position.

i think he would be a good signing, i'm not disputing that - but I don't think he is good enough to solve the defensive issue on his own (so we'd need another centre back) nor would I see him as the answer to our midfield issues on his own (so we'd need another CM).

He could, imo, nail down a CB or CM place if he was signed, but I'd argue that would be down to the poorness of our options rather than superb attributes.

Hed be a great squad/rotation option in a number of positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

thats not what happened.

They were punished by FIFA. They they lodged an appeal with CAS, and the punishment couldn't remain in place while the appeal was pending. Nowt FIFA could do about it.

They should ban them from making signings for two seasons when the appeal fails.

• Advertisement

See the post below your one.

You should have made that point originally, and explained your reason for bringing it up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

twam2008 wrote: »
    They should ban them from making signings for two seasons when the appeal fails.

Speaking of bans, they do have Suarez so they might get use to that word.
    To think Neymar at one stage was linked with United, given the financial arrangement for signing him, not surprised he wasn't on the agenda of real interest for United.

You should have made that point originally, and explained your reason for bringing it up in the first place.

I asked that person if he had seen the match and therefore the performance of the team with Sturridge in it. He didn't, I explained my point. Is that OK with you? Anything to add to the conversation at all?

i think he would be a good signing, i'm not disputing that - but I don't think he is good enough to solve the defensive issue on his own (so we'd need another centre back) nor would I see him as the answer to our midfield issues on his own (so we'd need another CM).

He could, imo, nail down a CB or CM place if he was signed, but I'd argue that would be down to the poorness of our options rather than superb attributes.

Hed be a great squad/rotation option in a number of positions.

Perhaps, our center back issue is two fold as I see it. Firstly we don't have enough of them in terms of cover in case of injury and also we need competition for places. I don't like the idea that Jones, Smalling and Evans would think they are nailed on starters each week. Secondly is the lack of experience back there. Which is why I'd back the signing of Blind plus another more experienced defender.

It's unthinkable that LVG won't get another couple of defenders in before the window shuts. With the aforementioned three we currently have being so injury prone we seriously need cover and if that isn't addressed that as I see it is the biggest threat to us not improving on what we did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RobertKK wrote: »

Not true. Most of us actually like Man Utd :pac:

• Advertisement

very worried about the remainder of the summer from a transfer perspective - Vermaelen and Hummels are off the table now - the only two CBs we have really been linked with. We need two, and we seem to be scratching our heads on it. Vidal is the only CM really linked, and its been months of that and nothing has happened. Caurado linked, but Barca want him to replace Alves, so I can't see us getting that done either.

Can't see it being anything better than a few Fellaini-esque last minute scrambles.

Anyone see things turning out differently?

I have to say I am honestly surprised at how inactive United have been in the market - considering the shambles of last season and the bold statements from Woodward. If we don't return to top 4 this season, we are fuked, imo. We needed to go big this summer, and we have failed to do so. We have simply shown ourselves to be the also rans of football transfers - confirming the reputation we needed to shed.

Woodward has boasted how we will compete for the best - but it will end up being Ron Vlaar and De Jong. Cementing an improvement to 5th place.

The point I was going to make was how different Liverpool look with Sturridge up front as opposed to Lambert, obviously losing Suarez is huge but I think the signing of Lovren aswell as strengthening the squad as a whole will be enough to secure top 4 again this season.

Sturridge is quality no denying that. However the jury is out on Lambert in terms of how effective he might be in that team or otherwise. I don't think a player like him with his best assists and considering his limitations actually suit top level PL teams as liverpool play a lot differently to Southampton I genuinely doubt how many goals he will get and how long he will stay in the team. Liverpool with develop their quick passing game around Sturridge, I'm not sure how Lambert will work in that team and I think Liverpools Achilles heal this year just might be the lack of options in attack which is where United stand strongest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

been great year for Celtic winning Eurovision and getting back into Europe

Sturridge is quality no denying that. However the jury is out on Lambert in terms of how effective he might be in that team or otherwise. I don't think a player like him with his best assists and considering his limitations actually suit top level PL teams as liverpool play a lot differently to Southampton I genuinely doubt how many goals he will get and how long he will stay in the team. Liverpool with develop their quick passing game around Sturridge, I'm not sure how Lambert will work in that team and I think Liverpools Achilles heal this year just might be the lack of options in attack which is where United stand strongest.

I see your point re: attack but I could just as easily say the same about the defences.

I don't see Lambert starting many games, he'll be a different option from the bench to break down teams. With Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho you have 3 of the best young attackers in England and if those 3 can stay fit and on form then 4th place will be the lowest a Liverpool fan will expect, especially if Lovren plays as I expect him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

very worried about the remainder of the summer from a transfer perspective - Vermaelen and Hummels are off the table now - the only two CBs we have really been linked with. We need two, and we seem to be scratching our heads on it. Vidal is the only CM really linked, and its been months of that and nothing has happened. Caurado linked, but Barca want him to replace Alves, so I can't see us getting that done either.

Can't see it being anything better than a few Fellaini-esque last minute scrambles.

I have to say I am honestly surprised at how inactive United have been in the market - considering the shambles of last season and the bold statements from Woodward. If we don't return to top 4 this season, we are fuked, imo. We needed to go big this summer, and we have failed to do so. We have simply shown ourselves to be the also rans of football transfers - confirming the reputation we needed to shed.

Woodward has boasted how we will compete for the best - but it will end up being Ron Vlaar and De Jong. Cementing an improvement to 5th place.

I think we only need one central defender and will get one, I have faith in our current options to come good with game time.

I think we will sign Vidal assuming his knee is okay if not we should have a fallback in place unless LVG has seen something in Fellaini.

Not too bothered about Caudrado at this stage.

If we dont add another midfielder I would be worried about making the top 4.

I find it hard to disagree. We have been ineffective and outplayed on the pitch last year and on into the summer it has been the same for us in the transfer market. Why I don't know. We are led to believe the funds are there and the club themselves have said they will not shy away from marquee signings if they think it will improve the team. By virtue of spending big on Shaw and Hererra I'd tend to say this is true but what have we being doing in the meantime ?

I understand the complexities of missing out on Vermalaen due to Arsenal not wanting to see us rip another player off them after RVP and it's not a signing I'm that sorry to miss out on however.... We are not getting our business done for some reason... All of the other top 10 clubs in Europe don't seem to have an issue, 5 of those clubs in our own league....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I thought Blind made a statement last week that included a line about how he was worried about the physicality of the PL and how he would be more suited to a slower 'football playing' league?

Surprised to still hear people linking him after that, if thats his attitude even at this point I wouldn't want him anywhere near the side.

I thought Blind made a statement last week that included a line about how he was worried about the physicality of the PL and how he would be more suited to a slower 'football playing' league?

Surprised to still hear people linking him after that, if thats his attitude even at this point I wouldn't want him anywhere near the side.

I only saw it on here and never saw a source for it, so presumed it was fake tbh. Sounded it, and there wasn't much discussion.

Anyone have decent sources for the comments?

RobertKK wrote: »
    Manchester United with two matches this week...and I expect signings this week, maybe after the Valencia game.
    Vidal to recover from injury and to be signed, along with a defender.
    We're waiting in the long grass Robert ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Whatever way you want to dress it up, you're still using today's pre-season friendly to big up Liverpool.
    I wouldn't really care but you were one of the most vocal on how the United v Liverpool game was absolutely meaningless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement