Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

hogandrew wrote: »
    At Rafael's age zabaleta was an average player with an average team, debuchy is average and azpilicueta is solid but couldn't play the same position. Rafael offers far more going forward than the other 3 and is way younger than 2 of them. Having a winger stuck in front of him last year without the skill to play a one two and a manager without the balls to let him run past the halfway line didn't help his cause. Rafael is class and IMO will be a serious asset at rwb

I'm going to bookmark this post and we will judge how big an impact he has made in May. I'd wager he won't even play half the league games anyway but we'll agree to disagree and evaluate at the season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

2 things that have been pissing me off all Summer:

1. People quoting stupid sources like the papers or some random from twitter

2. People on here thinking they know who United are in for and who we have made no contact over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not bothered if Rafael leaves. I've grown tired of his injury problems, headless chicken defending and petulance.

lol

That is ****ing shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

If Rafael is leaving would Coleman not be a better option for RB / RWB rather than Cuardado

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

2 things that have been pissing me off all Summer:

1. People quoting stupid sources like the papers or some random from twitter

2. People on here thinking they know who United are in for and who we have made no contact over

Why is that only annoying you over the summer?

Those things happen all year round :p

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Why is that only annoying you over the summer?

Those things happen all year round :p

Theres actual footie on so its easier to ignore the muppetry plus the window isnt open so its more easily ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread, the clue is in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Snide comments like this bother me very little, because the fact is we heard plenty of them all last summer when we were pointing out how ****ed things were.

I bet you'll find a lot of the same posters wanted Fergie out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

it does look like we are struggling to land our main targets (the Vidal saga is anybodys guess) and now are looking elsewhere.

you'd imagine based on whats being said, that we are after at least 3 players - a CB, a winger and a midfielder. surely we will get at least 2 of them, but this was the summer that was supported to top all summers and so far with 6 days until our first game, its been poor.

we really need to get a player in this week before saturday to ease the worry that has set in - it should never have come to this stage at all.

I agree here.

I really thought we would learn from last season, I really freaking did.

Now, for all I know we could have deals wrapped up or being close, but I cant be confident now, with week to go and I cant forget the pain of last summer.

I have went from ultra confident to on the edge in space of 2 weeks.

I will be pished off if nobody is signed before Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

its a lot more difficult when you don't actually go for them, yeah.

Mangala... no interest from United.
    Fabregas... no interest from United.
    Fernando... no interest from United.
    Sanchez... no interest from United.
    Kross... pulled out of the deal for him, apparently.

Centre backs moved for: Vermaelen and.... no one? Hummels maybe but I can't see what we have actually done here other than be linked.
    Central midfielders moved for: Vidal, maybe unless you actually believe the club.

how do you know we had no interest in any of them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I agree here.

I really thought we would learn from last season, I really freaking did.

Now, for all I know we could have deals wrapped up or being close, but I cant be confident now, with week to go and I cant forget the pain of last summer.

I have went from ultra confident to on the edge in space of 2 weeks.

I will be pished off if nobody is signed before Saturday.
    Ah fcuk it we'll get pished either way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    how do you know we had no interest in any of them??

1. no press reports.
    2. no 'insider' reports from people I trust.

United's transfer dealings aren't some impenetrable mystery that no one knows about. Who the club WANT maybe, who they have actually approached will leak because it suits the agents and clubs for such things to leak.

EDIT: Actually - I believe United were interested in Mangala, scouted him a lot last season - but I dont believe it was followed up at all.

1. no press reports.

United's transfer dealings aren't some impenetrable mystery that no one knows about. Who the club WANT maybe, who they have actually approached will leak because it suits the agents and clubs for such things to leak.

I might be mistaken, but were you one of the guys who was praising Man Utd for closing leaks when we signed Herrera out of the blue? We only knew about him when it leaked from the Spanish end...

Reedsie wrote: »
    I might be mistaken, but were you one of the guys who was praising Man Utd for closing leaks when we signed Herrera out of the blue? We only knew about him when it leaked from the Spanish end...

They leaked from the spanish end. As I said, United can keep as stum as they like, but leaks will occur on the other end.

They leaked from the spanish end. As I said, United can keep as stum as they like, but leaks will occur on the other end.

They 'leaked' when the deal was done! How long do you want them to keep quiet about it? We have to find out at some stage. It would be a giveaway when he lines out for us in preseason friendlies...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Montroseee wrote: »
    I'm going to bookmark this post and we will judge how big an impact he has made in May. I'd wager he won't even play half the league games anyway but we'll agree to disagree and evaluate at the season's end.

Deal!

1. no press reports.

EDIT: Actually - I believe United were interested in Mangala, scouted him a lot last season - but I dont believe it was followed up at all.

we were in for both fernando and mangala but it was hard to a deal for either as fernando had 3rd party ownership so porto would receive not much of the transfer fee, so city decided to pay only 12m for fernando even though he was worth 25m but would pay porto 32-35m for mangala so they would receive all of the money, they were very complicated deals

we were in for both fernando and mangala but it was hard to a deal for either as fernando had 3rd party ownership so porto would receive not much of the transfer fee, so city decided to pay only 12m for fernando even though he was worth 25m but would pay porto 32-35m for mangala so they would receive all of the money, they were very complicated deals

very complicated, but City got them done.

and as you would agree we are no city..... they are an oil rich club that have no regard for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

City haven't signed Mangala?

Did Van Gaal want those players?

City haven't signed Mangala?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28476691

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Where are you pulling this from?

Fernando had, at best, one year left on his contract. Some were reporting his contract was up this summer. He was close to signing a new deal around January but never did, probably once he got wind of City's interest.

Mangala has a complicated ownership structure. From what I have read, 33.3% owned by one party and 10% owned by another party. Porto possibly own the remaining, I can't say for sure.

I would love to see where your version of events are reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

If Utd go and sell all the players mentioned, we surely must sign at least three players, LVG or not this season could go very wrong if Utd don't. I still can't believe we are here again a week before the season starts, especially after all of woodwards talk when Herrera and Shaw were signed. It seems that the big name players can't be attracted because of no CL, so if we miss out again, there's isn't a chance in hell next summer surely!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Shít will hit the fan if we don't get 3 points at Swansea and we haven't signed any players by then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why does it feel like people are ignoring we signed two first team players already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Why does it feel like people are ignoring we signed two first team players already :(

Because I think we all realise we needed more than 2 first team players and we need some world class talent as well as the potential we've signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Because they have nothing better to complain about :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Montroseee wrote: »
    That is only something a UTD. fan would say.

Just for clarification, anyone who says it, but is not a United fan, is really a closet United fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Because there hasn't been a real discernible net increase in the quality of the squad yet.

• Advertisement

The team vs Swansea is likely to be:

De Gea
    --Smalling--Jones--Evans
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Herrera-Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney-Welbeck

Can't work out those wing back positions. Raf seemingly unwanted, possibly not fit - so maybe Valencia there. Shaw or Young at LWB.

No signing we make now is going to be ready to play in that game, a really poor situation LVG and Woodward have put us in, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Based on pre-season, Shaw and Young will likely fill those wing back positions, maybe Val and Shaw. Can't see how that would be a doubt right now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think we're going to hammer Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Based on pre-season, Shaw and Young will likely fill those wing back positions, maybe Val and Shaw. Can't see how that would be a doubt right now....

Lord TSC
    One more post for 15,000
    Make it a good one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ha come KO I'll have myself convinced of that too - no matter who we're playing I'm always the same.

LVG ticking Shaw off for lack of fitness, resting him for the second game (coming on second half), only a second half appearance in the third because James was injured, again a second half sub in fourth game and... a sub in the fifth game and coming on early because he Valencia got injured.

Based on the fact Shaw only started one game so far, and got a ticking off, I don't see how it is certain he is going to start vs Swansea.

I'd be surprised if Young doesn't start. So Raf, Valencia or Shaw of the other spot, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think we could nearly be out of sight by the time we play Chelsea at the end of October. The fixture list is so kind to us this year which is why I've been predicting all summer that we will walk the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Kagawa wrote: »
    If Utd go and sell all the players mentioned, we surely must sign at least three players, LVG or not this season could go very wrong if Utd don't. I still can't believe we are here again a week before the season starts, especially after all of woodwards talk when Herrera and Shaw were signed. It seems that the big name players can't be attracted because of no CL, so if we miss out again, there's isn't a chance in hell next summer surely!!

The thing is, we won't even sell 3 of those players, let alone the whole lot. So no need to worry.

They have been poor in pre-season themselves. We should beat them, imo, regardless of the problems we have - but it won't show that the people that are complaining are wrong.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think we could nearly be out of sight by the time we play Chelsea at the end of October. The fixture list is so kind to us this year which is why I've been predicting all summer that we will walk the league.

Read that back to yourself

In fact, the whole thing. Wow

• Advertisement

Maybe its because they were not the Veron, Van Persie, Holy **** type signings people were hoping for? Those hopes were stoked by Woodwards talk tbf.

That 2 is not, based on last season or Van Gaals own words, enough. Its not when we look at defence.

3 weeks remain to get another couple of players in so I am not worried myself.

If United had gone out and got a Hummels for example they would probably more patient even if it was only two signings.

I don't think easing fans minds is really the right reason to go and get business done.

Van Gaal coming in has changed a lot and is bigger than any signing on the field. Always felt this summer would be about improving options to fit Van Gaals needs more than bringing in established big names when Champions League is not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Kinda alluded to it in the above post but I really think everyone would be just a tad more relaxed had Woodward not ran his mouth a few weeks ago, I'll never see the benefit of what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I just don't trust Young at all to maintain his preseason form. That's my major problem right now and means that a left and right back is needed. I'm theoretically happy with CB bar the numbers and wouldn't be too disappointed if LVG went for youth over buying established players. Would be a big change from Fergie and Moyes and may motivate the players in the academy to make the step up. I see the other arguments about buying quality but I want a sustainable model built in these 3 seasons because god knows what will happen if LVG leaves after then with regards the management of the club.

Liam O wrote: »
    I just don't trust Young at all to maintain his preseason form. That's my major problem right now and means that a left and right back is needed. I'm theoretically happy with CB bar the numbers and wouldn't be too disappointed if LVG went for youth over buying established players. Would be a big change from Fergie and Moyes and may motivate the players in the academy to make the step up. I see the other arguments about buying quality but I want a sustainable model built in these 3 seasons because god knows what will happen if LVG leaves after then with regards the management of the club.

I'm all for giving youth a chance - I like Keane, but big steps needed. Blacket I don't think is anywhere near good enough right now, despite preseason showings. Janko/Varela are rated but I've seen little to show they are ready for any first team involvement.

Wilson is the only player in the youth sides I think is close enough - so I think we have to buy because the youths simply aren't at the standard needed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

thelad95 wrote: »

Oh come on, that's bordering on delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Kinda alluded to it in the above post but I really think everyone would be just a tad more relaxed had Woodward not ran his mouth a few weeks ago, I'll never see the benefit of what he said.

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

What did he say?

keep-calm-and-watch-this-space-5.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Lads, this time last month nearly everyone in this thread wanted Ashley Young shipped out, whereas now I'm sure most of us would want to keep him. We all wanted a massive clear out and to spunk upwards of £150m on new signings within a day of the transfer window opening. What with van Gaal being involved in the business end of the World Cup and the US tour that was never going to happen. It's a good thing we've got a manager who wants to meticulously suss out his players. I don't doubt there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes right now. Before the window shuts we'll see the deadwood leave and we'll land our targets. Keep calm and trust the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'd be quite surprised if we got in anybody at this stage. I don't see it happening. I don't blame Woodward. The club has been liked that for years now. They just can't entice these big international players like Vidal etc. Veron the last noticeable big name from abroad to join us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You'll know the answer to that when you see the first few teamsheets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement