Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You'll know the answer to that when you see the first few teamsheets.

And performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Signing 2 first team players is the least any fan expected.

in all honesty signing Shaw and Herrera alone is not something to praise ED on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Can't work out those wing back positions. Raf seemingly unwanted, possibly not fit - so maybe Valencia there. Shaw or Young at LWB.

Is this just based on the Daily Mail article or have you heard this elsewhere????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,880 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was acknowledged by most people that considering the departures and how far we are behind in terms of the quality of the squad that we needed about 6 new players. We have signed two. Quite underwhelming. This needs to be a big week in the market for us or else the best we can hope for is a shoot out for 4th and hope we don't get many injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Call me mad but I think if Moyes was still in charge we would have a lot more signings by now. He seemed to be putting in ridiculous groundwork on a number of players, a lot of which was thrown out the window when he was sacked, Shaw and Herrera aside obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,880 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thelad95 wrote: »
    Call me mad but I think if Moyes was still in charge we would have a lot more signings by now. He seemed to be putting in ridiculous groundwork on a number of players, a lot of which was thrown out the window when he was sacked, Shaw and Herrera aside obviously.

It's a good point. In theory LVG hasn't signed anyone yet as he only gave those two his blessing as they were deals agreed under Moyes originally. Which leads me to think having assessed the squad, advised those who he is getting rid of ... We might now see a flurry of transfers into the club. At least I hope so because the numbers we have especially at the back and in midfield do not add up for a squad that can be challenging on any front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just for the record, I still would be glad to see Ashley Young sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Your mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nani and Hernandez may be on the way if the right offers come, but I don't think Raf would be sold, or is even on the **** list really, wouldn't believe that at all.

I would like to think Kagawa is safe as he is the perfect player to rotate and cover for Mata. Nani as a striker is not needed, or ideal, and he won't be much use as a wing back, or happy. I'd let him go despite being a big fan of his. Hernandez I would also let go, he is a hero, we all love him, but he is very replaceable and if he isn't happy to be on the bench most of the time he may as well leave and bring a bit of money into the club while he is still at a good age. I would be fine with Welbeck and Wilson as back ups to RVP and Rooney, with Januzaj Zaha and maybe even Mata or Young as other options should all else fail. No European distractions this year so not so much need for the big squad, certainly not 4 first team strikers anyway.

Midfield is still a concern but again, the midfield we have, if the players stay fit should be enough for most of the teams in the division. Quality needs to be added though before you can even think about a league challenge. Defence is surely the are that will be strengthened before the window closes for sure, even if nothing else happens. For pure numbers alone it would be irresponsible and a huge gamble to try to play through the season using a 3 centre back system with the players we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Moyes leaving and Van Gaal joining was better than any signings though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think a lot of focus has been put on the 3-5-2 thats been used. I really dont think it will be exclusively used and so there will likely be the need for both natural full backs and wingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think a lot of focus has been put on the 3-5-2 thats been used. I really dont think it will be exclusively used and so there will likely be the need for both natural full backs and wingers

He has publicly said we don't have the quality in the wings, and since there has been no signings to suggest he is looking to change that the 532 seems to be the way forward initially anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

United only have 3 centrebacks, isn't it a little stupid to play them all in the same game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Liam O wrote: »
    I just don't trust Young at all to maintain his preseason form. That's my major problem right now and means that a left and right back is needed. I'm theoretically happy with CB bar the numbers and wouldn't be too disappointed if LVG went for youth over buying established players. Would be a big change from Fergie and Moyes and may motivate the players in the academy to make the step up. I see the other arguments about buying quality but I want a sustainable model built in these 3 seasons because god knows what will happen if LVG leaves after then with regards the management of the club.

He has played well going forward but cannot defend for his life. Hes not a wing back at all. Hes a winger pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oranage2 wrote: »
    United only have 3 centrebacks, isn't it a little stupid to play them all in the same game?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

football-international-friendly-daley-blind-holland-netherlands_3160006.jpg?20140618132248

From Sky Sports - Daley Blind open to Man United move

9:00 - Here's more on the future of Daley Blind, with Ajax coach Frank de Boer hoping the reported Manchester United target spends another season with the Dutch champions.
    I am convinced he will make the right choice. If he goes to a big club then he has definitely deserved it. But I think it would be better if he stays one year. Last year was a good year for him but I think he can improve a lot with us.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9416554/transfer-news-daley-blind-open-to-joining-manchester-united-from-ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Spotted in Manchester Piccadilly this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Headshot wrote: »
    I'd be quite surprised if we got in anybody at this stage. I don't see it happening. I don't blame Woodward. The club has been liked that for years now. They just can't entice these big international players like Vidal etc. Veron the last noticeable big name from abroad to join us.

Agreed – to the extent that for years they can’t entice big international names from abroad to join us. This has been the case since Ronaldinhio decided Manchester wasn’t hip enough in 2003 (ok with a little help from Kenyon making a b*lls of it). Hummels, Vidal, Kroos – was never going to happen.

BUT…..Woodward is at fault if we start the season without replacing the 2 centre backs whose departure has been know about since January. For not adddressing the calamatous decision last summer to not fix the middle of the field. In fairness he has fixed 2 of 5 issues with Shaw and Herrara but arguably these were priorities 4 & 5 of the 5 players he needed. There are plenty of quality options outside of Spain, Germany and Italy who could streghten United. Varmaelen was one but that’s gone. De Vrij was another. Blind or Vlaar would be others.

Woodward only has himself to blame for his stupid remarks during the summer about United competing for the top players when quite clearly they’re not. But if we can’t get a Hummels we should certiainly be hoovering up the rest.

I can see this window ending just like the last, instead of Fellani replace Vlaar being sold to us for €25M while Hummels moves to Munich or Spain next summer for the same amount. To top it off we’ll sell Hernandez to another PL club and sit back and watch how that comes back to bite us also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Haven't looked in, in a few days, due to various engagements, a break from the thread would do you the world of good....reminds me of when I used to find out about our transfer activities in the Sunday World or 'Match' (always preferred Match to Shoot...)!

We are going to sign a few players, aren't we??????

Did everyone go mental over Vermaelen?? Who's fault was that? Ed I assume!!!!!

Just out of left field there lads, Carrick as one of a back 3, doesn't LVG like that hybrid centre back/centre midfield player? Could be why we don't appear to be going all out for a centre back at the minute*

*I do believe lots of work is going on behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

after van gaals comments yesterday regarding wingers I can see united (don't ask me why) signing a big player right on transfer deadline day in the same way Ozil signed for arsenal last season and di maria is the standout candidate right now. he wont be getting much game time at Madrid and they more than likely want to sell but are asking for too much so utd will try push through a deal at the last minute at a cheaper price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Ive taken the view that I would judge the success of the clubs transfer dealings on deadline day but I will say that we've been underwhelming so far. The issue now is that we will be trying to cram signings in during the last two weeks of the window, a time when other clubs will be reluctant to do business as they will struggle to find adequate replacements themselves. This is far from ideal, even from a purely financial perspective, clubs will charge a premium because they know we are desperate.

Real pity LVG couldn't have started a few weeks earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

5 more days till the Swansea game. Can't wait. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

bangkok wrote: »
    after van gaals comments yesterday regarding wingers I can see united (don't ask me why) signing a big player right on transfer deadline day in the same way Ozil signed for arsenal last season and di maria is the standout candidate right now. he wont be getting much game time at Madrid and they more than likely want to sell but are asking for too much so utd will try push through a deal at the last minute at a cheaper price

I can see us buying a sub par quality winger. Id take Di Maria but I fear we wont get him.

I still think he will get game time for Madrid if he stays with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You're all going to look pretty silly when we sign Sneijder on deadline day.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I can see us buying a sub par quality winger. Id take Di Maria but I fear we wont get him.

I still think he will get game time for Madrid if he stays with them.

id say he has been told he is not needed already, they just signed kroos and james and they already have Ronaldo and bale in his position add to that jese is due back and he is an excellent footballer and a Madrid favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Ok chaps and lassies,

See my sig for the FF deets.

We have 11 in the paid league so would love to double that. It's a tenner a head with 10% going to charity.

If we get to 22 players, I'll fork out to double the charity donation.

Can't wait for Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

15,000th post, huh?

Saw an article on Reddit a few days back, which showed pictures of how Old Trafford has evolved over the last 100 years. I love those sort of time-lapse stories. So figured I'd share the pictures (Website linked at bottom).

Old%20Trafford%20-%201926.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201938.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201959.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201966.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201973.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201978.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201979.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201983.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201990.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201994.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%201996.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%202002.jpg

Old%20Trafford%20-%202013-2.jpg

Source: http://thefootballstadiums.com/how-old-trafford-changed-over-time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

yermandan wrote: »
    Ok chaps and lassies,

See my sig for the FF deets.

We have 11 in the paid league so would love to double that. It's a tenner a head with 10% going to charity.

If we get to 22 players, I'll fork out to double the charity donation.

Can't wait for Saturday
    I'd say just post the details every evening Dan lad as most will never cop the first post and are working during the day... Can't wait for PL KO either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lord TSC wrote: »
    15,000th post, huh?

Saw an article on Reddit a few days back, which showed pictures of how Old Trafford has evolved over the last 100 years. I love those sort of time-lapse stories. So figured I'd share the pictures (Website linked at bottom).

Source: http://thefootballstadiums.com/how-old-trafford-changed-over-time

Cheers for the website link, its interesting to see how the grounds develop in the area throughout the decades. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    Just out of left field there lads, Carrick as one of a back 3, doesn't LVG like that hybrid centre back/centre midfield player? Could be why we don't appear to be going all out for a centre back at the minute*

If one of Jones, Evans or Smalling gets injured in the first game who will be stepping in? Carrick is injured so will it be Blackett? Keane?

I know its highly unlikely that Jones or Smalling will ever get injured but just hypothetically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Nice post Lord.... The stadium looks brilliant but hopefully expansion isn't too far away either, we have to keep up with our Spanish counterparts.

If one of Jones, Evans or Smalling gets injured in the first game who will be stepping in? Carrick is injured so will it be Blackett? Keane?

I know its highly unlikely that Jones or Smalling will ever get injured but just hypothetically speaking.

no, more than likely it will be 4-4-2, so say for eg smalling gets injured

de gea

Valencia
    jones
    evans
    shaw

Young
    fletcher
    Herrera----Welbeck

Mata

wazza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

de gea

Valencia
    jones
    evans
    shaw

Young
    fletcher
    Herrera----Welbeck

Mata

wazza

LVG has said numerous times that he'll play 4-3-3 if he wants a switch from 3-4-1-2. We don't have the quality on the wings, or enough depth in CM to play 4-4-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Blackett or Keane obviously..... I'm just postulating man, as to why we haven't signed a centre back when there seems to be a glaring gap....I'm not proposing it as a preferable outcome in my own opinion as you seem to be inferring in your post. Peace and Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

de gea

Valencia
    jones
    evans
    shaw

Young
    fletcher
    Herrera----Welbeck

Mata

wazza

we're almost certainly not going to see 4-4-2 this season imo

• Advertisement

Those pics of Old Trafford are brilliant. Is there any plans to redevelop the final "small" stand?

LVG has said numerous times that he'll play 4-3-3 if he wants a switch from 3-4-1-2. We don't have the quality on the wings, or enough depth in CM to play 4-4-2.

yes but as it stands it will be more than likey those players starting be it 442 or 433, but that could all change in the next couple of weeks depending on who we sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

ericzeking wrote: »
    Blackett or Keane obviously..... I'm just postulating man, as to why we haven't signed a centre back when there seems to be a glaring gap....I'm not proposing it as a preferable outcome in my own opinion as you seem to be inferring in your post. Peace and Love

Van Gaal is on record as saying Blackett and Keane aren’t there yet in terms of standard so not sure why he would be relying on them to stand in for the 3 amigos is one gets injured / turns out can’t defend to save his life.

Just as well Varmaelen wasn’t upto our standards…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

de gea

Valencia
    jones
    evans
    shaw

Young
    fletcher
    Herrera----Welbeck

Mata

wazza

What a line-up!

Those pics of Old Trafford are brilliant. Is there any plans to redevelop the final "small" stand?

south stand.... at the moment no as it would cost around 100m to expand to a 95000 seater stadium, but plans have been made so id say sometime in the future they might push ahead and do it maybe when the clubs debt is down. if they were to expand they would need to build over the railway track and would also need to buy around 55 houses in the area.

building higher also reduces the amount of natural light coming onto the pitch which doesn't help either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

As far as I'm aware it won't be done anytime soon due to the railway line close to it. I'm not a 100% on the facts but a quick Google give you more detail on it.

What a line-up!

It makes the baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

As far as I'm aware it won't be done anytime soon due to the railway line close to it. I'm not a 100% on the facts but a quick Google give you more detail on it.

yeah i remember fergie saying something like that a few times before. he really wanted it to be developed but there would be major issues trying to get planning permission

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Somebody mentioned that we've signed two first teamers..great, except we've lost three (Rio, Nemanja and Patrice).

If we get the Vidal deal done this week, pick up a centre half and pick up Blind, we'll be in good shape.

The Di Maria stuff is bonkers...yet again we'd be buying a flat screen tv when the roof's leaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Call me sentimental or whatever, but I like the 1994 image the best.
    Old%20Trafford%20-%201994.jpg
    I like the symmetry of the thing, the fact it's all the same height. Suppose it's also what it looked like when I visited first.

I'd love to see the stadium developed further to see the South stand and the two quadrants built up to meet the rest of it. But my understanding is that the cost is hugely prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yet again we'd be buying a flat screen tv when the roof's leaking.

and this in one sentence sums up the transfer approach of Manchester United FC over the past 5 years.

i think its going to be the summer of 2015 before we start seeing it done properly - even if 3 players come in now its only making up for lost time and it could take players months to settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Somebody mentioned that we've signed two first teamers..great, except we've lost three (Rio, Nemanja and Patrice).

If we get the Vidal deal done this week, pick up a centre half and pick up Blind, we'll be in good shape.

The Di Maria stuff is bonkers...yet again we'd be buying a flat screen tv when the roof's leaking.

You've been convinced of Vidal for weeks yet theres still no sign of it happening. Give it up man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Spurs need to trim a few players from their squad this week, have like 6 too many or something.

Dembele was someone that always impressed me, was a bit out of favour last year. Would he still generate an interest?

Just take the ban like a man, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

TheDoc wrote: »
    Spurs need to trim a few players from their squad this week, have like 6 too many or something.

Dembele was someone that always impressed me, was a bit out of favour last year. Would he still generate an interest?
    Was only thinking that from doing my FF team this morning:

IG7vgNE.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement