Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not necessarily us, but hopefully...

does Blind solve our Center Back shortage? No he doesnt.
    is he good enough to be a first choice center midfielder? i dont think he is.
    will he solve the shortage of wingers that our manager says we have? no he wont.

signing Blind doesnt really make sense after spending £30m on Shaw, so why would you be hopeful of signing him, when he doesnt answer our problems?

id be ok with signing him, BUT it really isnt a signing that we need, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Didn't Blind state that he doesn't think the Premiership would suit him and he'd prefer a move to La Liga?

I'd be very surprised if we signed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

will he solve the shortage of wingers that our manager says we have? no he wont.

signing Blind doesnt really make sense after spending £30m on Shaw, so why would you be hopeful of signing him, when he doesnt answer our problems?

Blind would help our CB shortage (he can play there)

Blind would help out in CM if needed (he can play there)

Blind would be cover for Shaw in LB or LWB (he can play there)

Pretty good signing if you ask me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think he would improve many problems. Not fix any, but definitely aid in repairing our squad. As a backup LB (which we need), CB (which we need) and CM (and probably first team CM given options), and as a signing made in conjunction with other signings, I would quite like to have him at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Reedsie wrote: »
    Didn't Blind state that he doesn't think the Premiership would suit him and he'd prefer a move to La Liga?

I'd be very surprised if we signed him.

Ya, I think some were wondering where the quotes came from. They came from an interview with goal.com
    "I am still developing as a player. I am only 24-years-old, so I hope that there's still room for improvement," Blind explained.

"La Liga would suit my style of play. Perhaps England as well, but that's a very physical competition and that's not my biggest strength. I have made steps forward physically, but fighting out personal duels is not my thing. I am not like Jan Vertonghen, who is very powerful.

"The most important thing for me at a new club is that they play proper football. I would be more open to a club that plays proper football than to a club that only hits long balls."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Frank De Boer says hes struggling to keep hold Blind - from SkySports transfer centre

Sam @MaroucheSam
    Follow
    Ajax coach confirms Daley Blind is set to leave Ajax, the manager said ' he's moving to a big club '

If we do get Blind, I presume he'll be the last player coming in this summer.

Well if he said 'big club' pretty much rules out Liverpool!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well if he said 'big club' pretty much rules out Liverpool!!!!!

oh-hell-no-o.gif

Duck and cover everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheTownie wrote: »
    Ya, I think some were wondering where the quotes came from. They came from an interview with goal.com

Thanks for the link. As I said previously, anybody with this mentality:
    but that's a very physical competition and that's not my biggest strength. I have made steps forward physically, but fighting out personal duels is not my thing.
    shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Have you watched Blind much?

I haven't myself but I understand he is a no 6 these days at Ajax so Shaws arrival wouldn't really be a problem if that is where Van Gall wants him to play.

Van Gaal is known for fitting players into a position in his structure, if Van Gaal bought him to play at no 6 he would indeed answer some of our problems for 14/15 season.

Even if he was bought for left back, Left Wing Back he would solve the problem of what happens when Shaw is injured/unavailable/out of form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Since bangkok seems to be avoiding having to explain his 'story', I had a look around for info on Fernando and found this;

Bq_yoZ0CIAAuuVe.jpg

Compare that to the announcement of Mangala;

Given the above, I think its fair to assume Fernando was wholly owned by Porto and thus rendering bangkok full of shít on this occasion.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/280151.html

I hope that keeps you happy....

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    I hope that keeps you happy....

I doubt it will. That article does claim that both players had 3rd party ownership, but says absolutely nothing regarding your claim that the deal for Fernando affected the deal for Mangela in terms of paying less for one to offset paying more for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

BBC North West reporter Richard Askam has said that Cuadrado's representatives are apparently in Manchester to discuss his move to MUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I doubt it will. That article does claim that both players had 3rd party ownership, but says absolutely nothing regarding your claim that the deal for Fernando affected the deal for Mangela in terms of paying less for one to offset paying more for the other.

Bangkok needs to concede defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The appeal for Blind, from my understanding, is that he is a discplined Central midfielder who has a good nack for the defensive and interceptive work and has neat distribution. Someone described to him me ( he is a frequent Erdvise viewer) as nearly a nippier Carrick.

However is versatile, playing in Van Gaals Holland team at Centre Back, left back and left wing back. He also has done stints with his club in the defensive line.

the only issue I see in this possability, is that Mata has no.10 nailed, with Kagawa providing cover. Herrera no doubt will be a prefered CM starter, and then you have one spot left between (all fit) Cleverly, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini.

And generally there is a call for one more CM to be added to the squad. I can only assume that the position left for jostling is that position Fletcher was occupying in pre-season, that seems to have a heavy tendancy for the defensive minded.

glued wrote: »
    BBC North West reporter Richard Askam has said that Cuadrado's representatives are apparently in Manchester to discuss his move to MUFC.

This thread

Jackson on twitter = :mad:

The one above = :D

250px-Demon_Roller_Coaster.jpg

Thank you. You have shown us you put 2 + 2 together and got 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

DM-ICE wrote: »
    This thread

Jackson on twitter = :mad:

The one above = :D

250px-Demon_Roller_Coaster.jpg

Jackson would of asked the club directly. They've denied interest in everyone this summer including Herrera.

the OP said Fernando was owned 100% by porto in which he was not, both deals were linked in together I remember at the time they were both extremely complicated

Thank you. You have shown us you put 2 + 2 together and got 5.

no it proves Fernando was not 100% owned by porto

I think what is worth remembering is that titles are not won by beating title rivals, but avoiding slipups. I always say this, I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but I always feel like the league is won by the team with the least slipups, or who can secure a win after a rival makes a slipup. Last season seemed to REALLY put that thought process into perspective. The main battles between City, Chelsea and Liverpool really didn't mean much imo, when you saw the slipups they had to teams lower.

We've won titles not by beating rivals, but by avoiding slipups, or when they looked to happen, grind out a result.

A midfield of Herrera, Fellaini, Fletcher, Carrick and Cleverly might not be the sort of CM you'd put your money on beating Chelsea, or City, but you'd be confident it has enough quality to get past a Hull, or an Aston Villa.

Last season was an absolute drain of confidence with the team shot. But previously, we had won titles with poor midfields, and weakness' in our squad. SAF obviously made players operate beyond their means at time with an air of arrogance, that was ZAPPED last year. If Van Gaal can rebuild that, give this squad belief, it's not beyond the realms of possibility in terms of having a title challenge.

I'm not concerned going into this season facing City or Chelsea or Liverpool. While as fans we big these up as massive games, as does the media, and "title deciders" the real title decider are that tricky midweek game over Christmas away during the hectic winter period, or the home game in the run in, against a relegation team throwing caution to the wind.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Jackson would of asked the club directly. They've denied interest in everyone this summer including Herrera.

Jackson has had more accurate rumour and foresight on transfers with City then he has had with United this summer. Very telling imo.

He also had a freakdown on Twitter last month, and I think he will be vearing away from rumours for a while after the **** he got. Seems to be either confirming **** that is concrete, or playing the " no news" card.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think what is worth remembering is that titles are not won by beating title rivals, but avoiding slipups. I always say this, I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but I always feel like the league is won by the team with the least slipups, or who can secure a win after a rival makes a slipup. Last season seemed to REALLY put that thought process into perspective. The main battles between City, Chelsea and Liverpool really didn't mean much imo, when you saw the slipups they had to teams lower.

We've won titles not by beating rivals, but by avoiding slipups, or when they looked to happen, grind out a result.

Why do I get the feeling you were talking about something specific?

gerrard-trophy.gif

You have a point about slip ups Doc, maybe not always resulting in a league win but certainly staying competitive. (Edit as above slip ups against direct rivals can be bad news)

At home United messed up against, West Brom (3), Southampton (2), Newcastle (3), Everton (3), Fulham (2), Spurs (3) before March. Thats 16 points.

That was 4th place :eek:

(64 points plus 16 is 80 points, 4th place was 79 points)

Fernando also just signed a contract with porto in feb until 2017 with a buyout clause of 25m

no it proves Fernando was not 100% owned by porto

No, you gave a link to an article that says so. Thats not proof but at least you showed where you got the notion from.

Now if you could address your main notion that the Fernando deal was linked to the Mangala deal that would be great.

Fernando also just signed a contract with porto in feb until 2017 with a buyout clause of 25m

Try again.
    Porto President Pinto da Costa has threatened to sideline Fernando for the rest of the season after he broke the agreed renewal.

EDIT: I'll take that one back. He did after that confrontation sign a new contract which clears up the confusion around some previously reporting he would be a free agent this summer.

but again this is a distraction from the main point of contention which is the link to the Mangala deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Premier League clubs are to start using the database belonging to the computer game Football Manager to help identify and recruit new signings.

Sports Interactive, the creator of the best-selling game, will begin feeding its extensive information into Prozone Recruiter, an online analysis platform which many of the top clubs use to scout new talent.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/11/football-manager-computer-game-premier-league-clubs-buy-players?CMP=twt_gu

Once again, the UTD thread on boards was ahead of the curve.

I had James Ward-Prowse in my Champion's League winning side in FM12. At the time he hadn't even made an appearance for a Southampton side who were still in the Championship. Last year he made 34 PL appearances in a team that finished just behind Manchester United.

They can predict the future. Just sayin'.

Try again.

EDIT: I'll take that one back. He did after that confrontation sign a new contract which clears up the confusion around some previously reporting he would be a free agent this summer.

but again this is a distraction from the main point of contention which is the link to the Mangala deal.

ok, then why can you tell me, when he just signed a new contract with a buyout clause of 25m until 2017, just sign for city for 12m??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

So much Entertainment in this thread.. I just sit in work and press F5 all day :D

ok, then why can you tell me, when he just signed a new contract with a buyout clause of 25m until 2017, just sign for city for 12m??

Why don't you back up the claim you made instead of trying to shift the burden of proof onto somebody who made no claim at all?

I can't find a source for Fernando's ownership structure (other than the Porto statement which doesn't give an indication that they partially own him like they did with the Mangala statement) so I don't see the point in putting forth a theory on what happened.

What I wanted to know is did you know something I didn't and it seems you don't, and you just formed an opinion based on a general article about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Why don't you back up the claim you made instead of trying to shift the burden of proof onto somebody who made no claim at all?

bfd.gif

Lads - lets move it on - there are valuable arguements to be had about who we're not signing:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Would like to see us sign Sandro from Spurs, they seem to be looking to offload midfielders and he could probably be got for about £20 million.

Him and a centre back to make up the numbers and I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I had James Ward-Prowse in my Champion's League winning side in FM12. At the time he hadn't even made an appearance for a Southampton side who were still in the Championship. Last year he made 34 PL appearances in a team that finished just behind Manchester United.

They can predict the future. Just sayin'.

I posted months ago about how good their database is and that a couple of clubs had deals with them to access the data. Everton were know to have a deal with them and Real Madrid were rumored to also have one.

I put out a feeler about getting a UTD thread FM or FIFA league going as they both have good player stats ad updtes, no one bit but it goes to show the money getting pumped into games these days. Production costs are in the millions and they are out selling music and movie.

I dream of the day when I can turn on FM 2055 and walk into my virtual football world....

...picture the scene, you are manager of Accrington and Stanley and losing two nil away to Burton and Albion at half time. Your wet-through, knackered and the home fans having been giving you dogs abuse all match and your on your way to the dressing room to deliver your "inspirational half time team talk" to the players who are other boardsies logged into the game in player career mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Would like to see us sign Sandro from Spurs, they seem to be looking to offload midfielders and he could probably be got for about £20 million.

Not a chance we'd get him from Levy for 20m. Not to forget his injury problems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

He'd be like Hargreaves 2.0

Tablets banned from Old Trafford.
    Rebecca Stephenson @1rebs · 53m
    #mufc have added iPads and other tablets to list of OT banned items...Just in case you fancied watching a film at half time or something!!

What about Phablets? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

NeVeR wrote: »
    So much Entertainment in this thread.. I just sit in work and press F5 all day :D

Alt Gr and Down arrow is the only way to go!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why are ipads etc banned from OT, whats the reasoning there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Leroy42 wrote: »

Moyes and his team used them, bitter reminders of that dark season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I do love me some football manager...my other half not so much. I haven't a clue what she's talking about when I'm playing, gaff could be on fire for all I'd know.

She just doesn't understand that I'm busy setting up my newgen with personal training , a mentor and looking to see how his stats have improved over the past 6 month's.

I'm concerned that despite his obvious talent , he isn't ready for first team exposure just yet and unsure to give him a season on loan or throw him into the mix and see how he gets on , I don't want to burn him out too quickly, too soon.......

'****ing hell woman!! yes chicken is grand for dinner now piss off i'm working':p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

TheDoc wrote: »
    The appeal for Blind, from my understanding, is that he is a discplined Central midfielder who has a good nack for the defensive and interceptive work and has neat distribution. Someone described to him me ( he is a frequent Erdvise viewer) as nearly a nippier Carrick.

A glacier is nippier than Carrick.

I can't find a source for Fernando's ownership structure (other than the Porto statement which doesn't give an indication that they partially own him like they did with the Mangala statement) so I don't see the point in putting forth a theory on what happened.

What I wanted to know is did you know something I didn't and it seems you don't, and you just formed an opinion based on a general article about the situation.

well I have proven you wrong on both occasions,

1. Fernando was not 100% owned by Porto
    2. Fernando signed a new contract with Porto in Feb of this year.

the deal that brought both Mangala and Fernando was extremely complex and if I remember correctly it was on a sports channel they were discussing how the 2 deals were linked in and the major issues there was involved in both and saying how city would end up paying a small fee for Fernando but paying a much bigger fee for mangala. total of the deal was circa 45m but Porto and city were trying to come to a deal in which would see Porto FC receive most of the transfer fee. Not going into this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Leroy42 wrote: »

they dont want people taking videos of matches not even sure they want people taking pictures but you might be ok with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SportMediaset reporting that Man United are ready to offer Arturo Vidal a four-year contract worth €8m/season. Juventus are asking for € 50m to sell him.

Sky Italia reckon the bid will be coming in the next few hours.

BBC reporter Richard Askam is saying he understand Cuadardo's agent is in Manchester.

David Anderson of the Mirror are reporting we aren't in for him or DiMaria though.

well I have proven you wrong on both occasions,

1. Fernando was not 100% owned by Porto
    2. Fernando signed a new contract with Porto in Feb of this year.

the deal that brought both Mangala and Fernando was extremely complex and if I remember correctly it was on a sports channel they were discussing how the 2 deals were linked in and the major issues there was involved in both and saying how city would end up paying a small fee for Fernando but paying a much bigger fee for mangala. total of the deal was circa 45m but Porto and city were trying to come to a deal in which would see Porto FC receive most of the transfer fee. Not going into this any more

So a sports channel had the inside scoop, that no one else had, and the sports channel thought it wasn't worthy of an online article.

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Lord TSC wrote: »
    SportMediaset reporting that Man United are ready to offer Arturo Vidal a four-year contract worth €8m/season. Juventus are asking for € 50m to sell him.

Sky Italia reckon the bid will be coming in the next few hours.

BBC reporter Richard Askam is saying he understand Cuadardo's agent is in Manchester.

David Anderson of the Mirror are reporting we aren't in for him or DiMaria though.

I understand they are going to unveil Rory McIlroy as their new number 10 on Saturday.
    His role will be to stalk around behind the front 2 and frighten the bejaysus out of them until they eventually make mistakes and then he’ll clean up for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You know if Vidal does sign, then Future Guy has done it again, right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement