Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Zagreb is not Russia and Henriquez played in Chile but yeah his actual play for United wasn't impressive. But his eye for goal is very good, surprised he is heading for Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Benatia going off to the African cup of nations in mid season wouldn't be very helpful if we signed him.

Pain in the a$$ alright. Why is it every two years too?

UEFA, CONMEBOL, AFC, OFC hold their tournaments every 4 years.

CAF and CONCACAF every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So then LVG v Ed, who wins the struggle between commercial and transfer targets over the next 3 seasons?

You would think Ed would but if targets aren't got and CL suffers you would think Ed will be in the firing line pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

how long do people thing LVG will be our manager? i expect he will be gone in 2 or 3 years, trouble will brew between him and the board quickly once things settle in.

cant see him and Woodward getting on well, LVG already has been vocal about certain things night being right and that eventually wont go down well, unless the results match.

Well, I'd imagine a good chunk of the posters here feel Ed will be off first. But personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but cant see him staying for more that 3 or 4 years. IIRC he generally only seems to stay at a club for a handful of years before moving on, and I think you've hit the nail on the head with the potential issue with the hierarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

i wonder how much of our delayed transfer activity this summer is actually down to wanting players off the wage bill first before we bring anymore in?

weve got rid of 9 with possibly 3 more to go and only signed 2..perhaps if one more from Anderson, Fellaini and nani goes (another £12m worth of wages there), then we will act or now, are in a position to act.

our wage bill was projected to rise to around £200million going off what Woodward said 3 months ago in the Q3 financials, but at the moment its around £33.9m off that with impending sale of Ando to bring that to £37m. now, if Woodward is being true to his word, thats means a serious amount of top players are due to come in over the next 3 weeks, as that would be equivelent to 3 players on 150k plus a week being signed and we still have more budget left (allowing for wage increases and Moyes pay off).

when you see the wages that the likes of Ando are on, it would even make sense to sell him for free as opposed to him sitting in the reserves for the year.

Tbh I'm slowly coming to the idea that we simply have went for players that have ended up choosing clubs other than us.

I mean with the experience of last Summer and the glaring holes in our squad, surely it's more likely than unlikely that we've been chasing players. But, à la Kroos and Vermaelen, they've been ones who have simply chosen someone else over us or have changed their mind or some factor has led them to just say ''no''.

I simply think that if all of us can point out so many potential players that could improve us, and with us having so many problems, the club can't have been sitting on their arse for the last 10 weeks and have to have been at something but have came up short.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Zagreb is not Russia and Henriquez played in Chile but yeah his actual play for United wasn't impressive. But his eye for goal is very good, surprised he is heading for Croatia.

My bad on the russia, i just don't see it. He's looked average anytime at underage and couldn't get a game at Wigan. 6 in 25 in Spain apparently. If people are sad to see him go watch more u21 games.

lordgoat wrote: »
    My bad on the russia, i just don't see it. He's looked average anytime at underage and couldn't get a game at Wigan. 6 in 25 in Spain apparently. If people are sad to see him go watch more u21 games.

I think you nailed it when you wished him luck. Just not a player who was going to break through at United.

Senior football in a decent league might improve his game. He doesn't have the pace or touch of someone like Wilson. I would even rate Tom Lawrence to be much better than Henriquez and he will struggle to do much at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

lordgoat wrote: »

That's in a team that came 14th in the Spanish Second Division too...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

how long do people thing LVG will be our manager? i expect he will be gone in 2 or 3 years, trouble will brew between him and the board quickly once things settle in.

cant see him and Woodward getting on well, LVG already has been vocal about certain things night being right and that eventually wont go down well, unless the results match.

Ah Homer, you've got yourself into a right tizzy and the season hasn't even started. You'll be all tuckered out with this negativity. The bloke is 4 weeks in the job and you're prophesying the rise and fall. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I don't really see a middle ground with Van Gaal. I think that he'll either be a massive success or a spectacular failure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I don't really see a middle ground with Van Gaal. I think that he'll either be a massive success or a spectacular failure.

I'm expecting poor results from United until Christmas then he'll turn it around and have a late push at the top 4. It's 15/16 he'll really show his worth with a title push before stepping aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Jaysus this place is very negative tonight. Cheer up lads and LVG is not Moyes no.2

There is no middle ground for Manchester United. Doesn't matter who the manager is, success or out will be the order when they are after the big sponsorship money I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

We've a game against Valencia tomorrow lads, would ya's chill out!

I'm expecting poor results from United until Christmas then he'll turn it around and have a late push at the top 4. It's 15/16 he'll really show his worth with a title push before stepping aside.

I'm in the wins till October camp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

There is no middle ground for Manchester United. Doesn't matter who the manager is, success or out will be the order when they are after the big sponsorship money I think.

That attitude would have seen Ferguson shipped out in 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Sorry but that's bollocks. Football has changed. If a young SAF started now and finished outside top four he'd get the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Call Homer negative all you like I can see what he is saying.

United have no right to be in top 4 or top of league.

You have to earn that from multiple ways but one is buying quality players.

We are 1 week away from start of season with 2 players bought and still 2-3 badly needed

now maybe we have deal or 2 done. Maybe we will be thrilled come end of month.

But when I see posters thinking Young is just gonna turn messi esq it fills me with little dread.

Maybe I will be wrong. I hope so.

• Advertisement

Sorry but that's bollocks. Football has changed. If a young SAF started now and finished outside top four he'd get the boot.

Fergie also took over a drunken rabble who hadn't won the League for 18 years...David Moyes and Louis Van Gaal were/are in a slightly different position...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was negative before it was cool.

Teams that haven't won the title or regularly challenge in 20 plus years would need more patience.

As it stands its one season without a league title so expectations are naturally higher at Manchester United now that they were in 89.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I was negative before it was cool.

The problem is the squad - It's weaker than it was at the end of the season.

We need at least three players and the season starts in a little over 100 hours.

Seriously? FFS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm confident going into the season, despite being on the same page as most people as regards prospective signings. I believe we will get a CB in, after that who knows.

The reason's I'm hopeful are threefold:

1. I'm an optimist.
    2. We have LVG, and LVG has a plan.
    3. The performances in pre-season were that of a team that gave a sh1t, and that counts for quite a bit.

Also, on Young: he has always been a better player than what we've generally seen from him in a United shirt, I would not be at all surprised if he continued his good form in the season proper.

• Advertisement

It appears that we did not bid for Cesc Fabregas. It appears that Khedira is available and we're not interested. It appears that we didn't pursue Toni Kroos.

What the f..k is going on?

“I have told the club I won’t do anything until I know the players here…………. I want to give all players the chance to show themselves under my guidance.”

Van Gall, These words were quoted in a piece on redmancunian today, not sure exactly where they are from. We might not like it but nif accurate it would explain only two signings. We are just going to have to deal with it and see what happens when football actually starts.

http://redmancunian.com/2014/08/11/louis-van-gaal-ed-woodward-lack-transfer-activity/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It appears that we did not bid for Cesc Fabregas. It appears that Khedira is available and we're not interested. It appears that we didn't pursue Toni Kroos.

Surely you're calm - We're signing Vidal, right?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Surely you're calm - We're signing Vidal, right?

We need more than Vidal.

Plus, have lessons not been learned vis a vis pursuing one transfer target?

What if there's a hitch (e.g. Vidal fails his medical because of his knee)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I feel we are going to get a comfortable win tomorrow against Valencia and demolish Swansea.

• Advertisement

We need more than Vidal.

Plus, have lessons not been learned vis a vis pursuing one transfer target?

What if there's a hitch (e.g. Vidal fails his medical because of his knee)?

I doubt the club is only looking at one target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But when I see posters thinking Young is just gonna turn messi esq it fills me with little dread.

Wtf? Has Homer hacked your account or something?

Wtf? Has Homer hacked your account or something?

the kew is starting to get little on edge.

I doubt the club is only looking at one target.

I accept that a transfer can be drawn out.

But all of our transfers?

The season starts in a few days and we still have a load of business to do.

There is incompetence at play - Could be Woodward's, could be Van Gaal's.

This summer has been a joke - Signings this week are far too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

“I have told the club I won’t do anything until I know the players here…………. I want to give all players the chance to show themselves under my guidance.”

Van Gall, These words were quoted in a piece on redmancunian today, not sure exactly where they are from. We might not like it but nif accurate it would explain only two signings. We are just going to have to deal with it and see what happens when football actually starts.

http://redmancunian.com/2014/08/11/louis-van-gaal-ed-woodward-lack-transfer-activity/

They're from his pre-match press conference against LA Galaxy.

Maybe I will be wrong. I hope so.

I think most people were happy Young looks like he has the skills or could be a good back up for the wing back positions. Thats about it, back up.

Was anyone really suggesting he would be a key player (genuine queation, I may have missed it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Whether it's Woodward or LVG to blame, it is an absolute disgrace to get this far into the window with the squad in this state. Problems are obvious and the lack of action to fix them is painful to see.

Based on the current squad, we won't make top 4 and we will suffer greatly long term as a result of that. We can't afford to miss top 4 this season but the club continues to gamble it's future ridiculously.

I had been enthusiastic regarding LVG, but he is looking as blind as fergie and moyes, or Woodward doesn't give a sh1t about the playing side.

I think most people were happy Young looks like he has the skills or could be a good back up for the wing back positions. Thats about it, back up.

Was anyone really suggesting he would be a key player (genuine queation, I may have missed it)

my post was bit ott tbf on Young, but at same time im worried that we are going to rely on players who have more questions then answered in past.

not just Young either.

Moyes was clearly out of his depth but surely he and/or his coaches had dossiers that could have been shared with Van Gaal (e.g. Cleverley is crap, etc)?

I accept that a man of Van Gaal's calibre may want to make up his own mind but with the World Cup tying him up until a few weeks ago, surely some form of compromise could have been reached?

The upcoming Adidas deal demands a certain amount of achievement, the money brought in from it will decrease depending on our champions league involvement, they'd be crazy to penny pinch with players. I am desperately hoping that a lot of behind the scenes, top secret negotiations are happening, if not, God help us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

ive not seen one person on here panicking all summer.
    We need at least three players and the season starts in a little over 100 hours.

Seriously? FFS...

It's happening :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

There's times when this should really just be called the Manchester United Bitching/Whinging/Moaning Thread.

If we don't make signings, Woodward must go.

And by go, I mean be replaced on the transfer side of things but remain on the commercial side of things.

This summer has been a joke - Signings this week are far too late.

I think its best I don't get into a drawn out conversation with you on this topic.

I am still confused on how you said the other night that we should wait and see how the window turns out but yet its a joke of a summer, poor poor summer (said previously), a disgrace (said previously) and signings are too late this week.

I know not mutually exclusive etc, but its best I stay away from discussing as I think the more disappointing opinion put forward is how you really feel and I don't agree nor am I going to agree at this point. I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Quick question lads and apologies for invading but how will ye feel about the season and yer chances if ye do not sign anyone else? I think January's window will be a major one for ye but yeah the present.... If ye have to make do with the current players ye have what would be a realistic achievement for ye?

There's times when this should really just be called the Manchester United Bitching/Whinging/Moaning Thread.

There are just over 100 hours of the summer left and our squad is weaker than the one that ended last season.

We're right to moan.

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Quick question lads and apologies for invading but how will ye feel about the season and yer chances if ye do not sign anyone else? I think January's window will be a major one for ye but yeah the present.... If ye have to make do with the current players ye have what would be a realistic achievement for ye?

A title challenge - we're in better shape than Liverpool were last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pity I didnt take that bet for a 100 euro :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or the man united pragmatic realistic non biased non rose tinted glasses non head in the sand thread.

Being pissed off with the utter inaction of united is completely reasonable. The season starts in 5 days and we have 3 senior centre backs to cover 3 positions, one left back, one right back and arguably between no and two reliable centre mids.

There is no way that isn't a disaster. There is no way that isn't a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

If we don't make signings, Woodward must go.

And by go, I mean be replaced on the transfer side of things but remain on the commercial side of things.

Are we not signing Vidal now?:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement