Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Can someone offer a rational explanation as to why signings this week would be 'too late'? I can understand the frustration over a lack of movement given Woodward's smack talk earlier in the Summer, but to see people starting to question Van Gaal's competence over it is pretty cringeworthy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

There are just over 100 hours of the summer left and our squad is weaker than the one that ended last season.

We're right to moan.

It's a disgrace.

What planet are you on? As far as I was aware it was summer for another 20 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think its best I don't get into a drawn out conversation with you on this topic.

I am still confused on how you said the other night that we should wait and see how the window turns out but yet its a joke of a summer, poor poor summer (said previously), a disgrace (said previously) and signings are too late this week.

I know not mutually exclusive etc, but its best I stay away from discussing as I think the more disappointing opinion put forward is how you really feel and I don't agree nor am I going to agree at this point. I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

But DM-ICE, even if we sign players now they're not hitting the ground running - We have a game on Saturday.

It all seems so shambolic and badly planned. Even if we sign three players now or before the window shuts, it's sub-optimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Taok wrote: »
    A title challenge - we're in better shape than Liverpool were last year
    care to expand that? F all defenders and a weak ass midfield.

We have a good goal keeper and central attacking options, nowt else - while arsenal, Chelsea and City have strengthened.

What planet are you on? As far as I was aware it was summer for another 20 days.

If you want to nit-pick, summer ended 11 days ago.

The summer break ends in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

my post was bit ott tbf on Young, but at same time im worried that we are going to rely on players who have more questions then answered in past.

not just Young either.

Cheers.

I think Van Gaal is going to do some peoples heads in. How we rate a player and how he rates a player are very differant. He looks at systems, positions, players for specific numbers in a set up and will put players in and ask them/require them to perform certain functions.

Look at Kuyt for example in the world cup at wing back, Blind playing wing back, midfield and as a defender, full back or how he moved Alaba from cm to left back at Bayern. He sees things the rest of us may never understand never mind see.

Or the man united pragmatic realistic non biased non rose tinted glasses non head in the sand thread.

Being pissed off with the utter inaction of united is completely reasonable. The season starts in 5 days and we have 3 senior centre backs to cover 3 positions, one left back, one right back and arguably between no and two reliable centre mids.

There is no way that isn't a disaster. There is no way that isn't a disgrace.

I cannot disagree with any of that.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to contend that we need a right back, a left back, two centre halves, two midfielders and a winger.

That's seven players.

The season starts in less than five days.

It's understandable that something like the Vidal deal can be complex and take time, but we desperately need to do other deals. What's the story with them?

It's difficult to escape the conclusion that when it comes to transfer dealing, we're a shambles.

But DM-ICE, even if we sign players now they're not hitting the ground running - We have a game on Saturday.

It all seems so shambolic and badly planned. Even if we sign three players now or before the window shuts, it's sub-optimal.

I agree, its not ideal. Things should be done early where possible, if SAF was manager or Moyes was still in charge I would be pissed off. I happen to think good reasons for a slow player recruitment exist this summer (beyond the first two signings) for example with the new manager coming in.

Obviously the delays this summer are acceptable to me while they are not to you. Thats okay.

Or the man united pragmatic realistic non biased non rose tinted glasses non head in the sand thread.

Being pissed off with the utter inaction of united is completely reasonable. The season starts in 5 days and we have 3 senior centre backs to cover 3 positions, one left back, one right back and arguably between no and two reliable centre mids.

There is no way that isn't a disaster. There is no way that isn't a disgrace.

Agree that we need to bring in players and I've no doubt we will before the end of the window. There's a lot of stuff that we haven't a clue about here that goes on.

I just don't see the point in moaning day after day, almost all day, about the exact same issues/people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think Lavezzi would fit in very well with ye. He's insanely talented and I think Van Gaal is the type of guy that would get him into shape and get the best out of him. I think he's better suited to the league than Di Maria as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

It wouldn't be unreasonable to contend that we need a right back, a left back, two centre halves, two midfielders and a winger.

That's seven players.

The season starts in less than five days.

It's understandable that something like the Vidal deal can be complex and take time, but we desperately need to do other deals. What's the story with them?

It's difficult to escape the conclusion that when it comes to transfer dealing, we're a shambles.

Have a word with your contacts and see what's going on.

Agree that we need to bring in players and I've no doubt we will before the end of the window. There's a lot of stuff that we haven't a clue about here that goes on.

I just don't see the point in moaning day after day, almost all day, about the exact same issues/people.

There is no good evidence that we will make the signings we need. It's just a display of blind faith that we aren't limping to another deadline day fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

"100 hours"

The thread that keeps giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

adox wrote: »
    "100 hours"

The thread that keeps giving.

99hrs and 8mins keep with it Adox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This thread makes me feel sad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There is no good evidence that we will make the signings we need. It's just a display of blind faith that we aren't limping to another deadline day fellaini.

And yours is just a display of blind panic.
    Why not just chill for a couple of weeks and make a decision about the success or failure of the transfer window when the transfer window is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If the lack of quality in midfield and defence impacts our first 3 results things are going to get crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

If we don't buy the few players that most would think we need (and it's only an if for now), I'd wonder how much of that would be down to not actually being able to attract the players for one reason or another and how much would be down to LVG's self-belief/arrogance/confidence in his ability to turn the current squad into title challengers.

Based on him not being afraid to give out about the commercial commitments at the club after a few minutes in the job, I'd imagine he won't be shy about giving out if his transfer targets aren't brought in.

Of course, if.....

• Advertisement

How is it blind faith? Do you listen to what Van Gaal says? He wanted to spend time with his squad and see what fits and who doesn't. So they go on pre-season tour. They arrive back and he has supposedly told what players aren't part of his plans. Please don't reply saying 'he should know who does whatever'.

He asked for patience the first few months. Part of that for me is getting players signed late and them needing to bed in. You might say it's a disaster nobody is signed. A disaster for us would be Van Gaal deciding who is capable of what based on what he's seen on TV/a handful of training sessions and then sanctioning signing a player - only to realise he has it there already or has got rid of them.

Patience. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Deadline day it will all happen.

£30 million for Cheick Tiote, we'll strong arm Newcastle into selling.

RayCun wrote: »
    And yours is just a display of blind panic.
    Why not just chill for a couple of weeks and make a decision about the success or failure of the transfer window when the transfer window is over?

No, it's not.

We look to be nowhere near signing anyone. No English or foreign press have deals being close. We get rumours of thinking about bids.

Last summer was a transfer disaster.
    January, despite mata, was a transfer disaster IMO.
    This summer is looking like it will be a transfer disaster.

Based on prior performance, I don't see Woodward securing at least 3 top players in the next 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

care to expand that? F all defenders and a weak ass midfield.

We have a good goal keeper and central attacking options, nowt else - while arsenal, Chelsea and City have strengthened.

We've a good goalkeeper, 3 central defenders to deal with the opposition more effectively - as shown by the fact that the only goals we conceded on tour were either from the penalty spot or inside the oppositions half.

We've a super attack with all players playing in their right positions and RVP and Januzaj to return.

Herrera looks like an excellent signing and Fletcher is giving good cause for optimism.

Shaw and Young look like a very decent set of wing backs.

While other teams are playing in Europe we'll be training in preparation for the league. We play Chelsea and Liverpool at home the weekend after midweek CL fixtures. We play Chelsea away the weekend after the quarter final first leg and Arsenal at home the weekend after the semi final second leg (probably irrelevant)

We have the easiest possible start to the season and could conceivably win our first 8 games, making a title challenge all the more likely.

We are the same squad that win the league 2 years ago with some good additions and less some older players. The players will be hungry to put last year to bed.

LVG has said he'll be aiming for first, not fourth. Everything to date suggests that he's incredibly thorough, and his results with Holland lead me to believe that we should beat the teams below us and give the other challengers good games.

LVG won the title in Holland with AZ by 11 points having finished 11th the season before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

How is it blind faith? Do you listen to what Van Gaal says? He wanted to spend time with his squad and see what fits and who doesn't. So they go on pre-season tour. They arrive back and he has supposedly told what players aren't part of his plans. Please don't reply saying 'he should know who does whatever'.

He asked for patience the first few months. Part of that for me is getting players signed late and them needing to bed in. You might say it's a disaster nobody is signed. A disaster for us would be Van Gaal deciding who is capable of what based on what he's seen on TV/a handful of training sessions and then sanctioning signing a player - only to realise he has it there already or has got rid of them.

Patience. That's all I'm saying.

One thousand times this. But you're preaching to a bunch of transfer muppets who believe these things are as straight forward as the video games they've played make them seem. Van Gaal got off on the wrong foot by wanting to see these players for himself. What a fool, he should have just looked at their attributes on Football Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think its best I don't get into a drawn out conversation with you on this topic.

I am still confused on how you said the other night that we should wait and see how the window turns out but yet its a joke of a summer, poor poor summer (said previously), a disgrace (said previously) and signings are too late this week.

I know not mutually exclusive etc, but its best I stay away from discussing as I think the more disappointing opinion put forward is how you really feel and I don't agree nor am I going to agree at this point. I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

He's trying to make you question yourself so you forget about the argument!

I used the same tactic when I was 17 trying to get into the local club. Handed the bouncer my provisional licence a month before I was 18. When he started looking at it all confused, I just started staring at him like he was stupid and he eventually let me in.

transfer muppets

Saw this expression for the first time on Redcafe today and thought it was very apt :D

RichFTW wrote: »
    He's trying to make you question yourself so you forget about the argument!

I used the same tactic when I was 17 trying to get into the local club. Handed the bouncer my provisional licence a month before I was 18. When he started looking at it all confused, I just started staring at him like he was stupid and he eventually let me in.

I was trying to be nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ah Homer, you've got yourself into a right tizzy and the season hasn't even started. You'll be all tuckered out with this negativity. The bloke is 4 weeks in the job and you're prophesying the rise and fall. Madness.

hang on a f*cking second here now, but what the hell are you talking about? i brought up a very simple topic that our manager and the ce/board may have problems down then line. its not be having a tizzy or being negative, its a very legitamate topic that has already been discussed elsewhere and is starting to creep into being an issue.

instead of going off willy waving and derailing the thread (which you have now done), looking for thanks off the thanks whore brigade on here, why didnt you just debate the point that i brought up?

and how is saying that our manager and the board could have issues in the future., who lets be fair has had a tendancy to stay short term at most jobs he took over, is me being negative?

i will tell you what is madness, its the constant whining from people about anybody who dares mention one bad word about the club (and i didnt even do that). they complain about people complaining or moaning, but thats exactly what they are doing themselves.

• Advertisement

One thousand times this. But you're preaching to bunch of transfer muppets who believe these things are as straight forward as the video games they've played make them seen. Van Gaal got off on the wrong foot by wanting to see these players for himself. What a fool, he should have just looked at their attributes on Football Manager.

We have THREE CENTRE BACKS. THREE. are you honestly saying LVG couldn't have possibly seen a need for maybe one cb before August 11th?

We have THREE CENTRE BACKS. THREE. are you honestly saying LVG couldn't have possibly seen a need for maybe one cb before August 11th?

We have FIVE centre backs, a couple of midfielders who could play there if necessary, and 20 days left in the transfer window.

I'm saying I trust him, and I'll wait and see what he's done in 3 weeks time before judging. And even then, I'll wait even longer until May before judging him makes sense . I'm sure you've brought some pretty small clubs to Champions League glory on Football Manager Mitch, but I'll side with the guy who actually has a track record in the real world, and not with your penchant for the ridiculously premature drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

i will tell you what is madness, its the constant whining from people about anybody who dares mention one bad word about the club (and i didnt even do that). they complain about people complaining or moaning, but thats exactly what they are doing themselves.

There are quite a number of posters that have grown over the Summer who seem to think that, until he proves otherwise, LvG is infallible and it's heresy to second guess anything that's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hang on a f*cking second here now, but what the hell are you talking about? i brought up a very simple topic that our manager and the ce/board may have problems down then line. its not be having a tizzy or being negative, its a very legitamate topic that has already been discussed elsewhere and is starting to creep into being an issue.

instead of going off willy waving and derailing the thread (which you have now done), looking for thanks off the thanks whore brigade on here, why didnt you just debate the point that i brought up?

and how is saying that our manager and the board could have issues in the future., who lets be fair has had a tendancy to stay short term at most jobs he took over, is me being negative?

Pretty rich to demand someone debate the subject you raised when you completely avoided answering questions put to you directly, about a subject you keep repeating earlier on though isn't it?

I'm saying I trust him, and I'll wait and see what he's done in 3 weeks time before judging. And even then, I'll wait even longer until May before judging him makes sense . I'm sure you've brought some pretty small clubs to Champions League glory on Football Manager Mitch, but I'll side with the guy who actually has a track record in the real world, and not with your penchant for the ridiculously premature drama.

Yep, brill, nothing could possibly go wrong continuing on with the current squad. Top four no problem.

Also, I actually believe LVG supplied targets long ago, as Woodward hinted at weeks ago when he said we were working on deals. I believe Woodward has simply proven incapable of getting deals done for LVGs targets.
    But on this forum united not signing anyone just has to be because we don't want to, not becuause Woodward is poor at transfers.

• Advertisement

Do you believe we were in for Vermaelen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Right, here goes...

I resent this "blind faith" stance and honestly, it's the reason why the "doomsayers" rub me up the wrong way. There's no attempt to see the positives at all. For me, this summer has been massively positive so far.

We fixed the biggest problem from last year (Moyes) and replaced with a far, far superior manager.
    We signed two players who, at the start of the summer, played positions that the vast majority would have singled out as being our biggest problem areas (left back and center midfield).
    We cut a tonne of deadwood, in the form of players who were past it and/or were never going to be near the first team (Rio, Giggs, Evra, Buttner, Bebe, with more to come).
    The only player of significance we lost was Vidic;the reality there is he left when Moyes was in charge, and I personally would say that it was his own impatience to see what happened at the end of the season which saw him gone.

After that, LVG has been very open with regards what is happening; he said he was going to assess what players we needed, we got back from the tour and we started going after players. Everyone knows our CB needs backups, and we know we bid for Vermalean. And that's who we know; it's possible there's other bids were put forward and rejected, and likely that LVG didn't go "No Verm? Well, **** me then, we'll settle!". It's perfectly logical to think there's another CB target being chased now.

The transfer window doesn't close for another 3 weeks (not 99 hours), and the team we have now will be more than capable of steamrolling teams through to October (even Moyes was able to dominate the lower league teams). Meanwhile, on pre-season, we looked very dangerous in attack, decently solid in defence (again, only 1 goal from open play against Real, Liverpool, Roma, Inter and LA Galaxy, and it was a freak goal).

The only "disaster" in waiting is in center defense, and we know that's being worked on as is evident from the bid for Verm. After that, the reality is we aren't in half as bad a shape as some people are trying to paint; we won the league with far less than what we have now to be blunt. RVP, Mata and Rooney all working together will be a ****ing astounding front line, Herrera provides steal, and Carrick/Fletcher/Fel/Cleverly aren't as utterly useless as some people want to paint them as.

We're two players off having one of the best teams in the leauge; another CM and a CB, and we'll easily be in the Top 4 this season.

There's a hell of a lot of reasons to want to think positively this season, and crying "blind faith" shows, to me, just pure stubborness and unwillingness to accept the opinions of others. Fair play, you're worried, you feel its a disgrace. We get it. But there's plenty of people who, for good reason, don't think the sky is falling right now, so maybe respect their opinions too and stop crying "blind faith". And realise that maybe the reason people are moaning about the moaning is because it's nearing on being relentless and obsessive at this stage. If you want to continually post "disaster" and "disgrace", don't be shocked when people start getting frustrated and snapping back.

(And this isn't going to descend into a multi-quote circle. That's my stance on the summer so far, and I've no intentions of repeating this post in 100 different ways; you want me to respect your stance? Then respect mine, ok?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Pretty rich to demand someone debate the subject you raised when you completely avoided answering questions put to you directly, about a subject you keep repeating earlier on though isn't it?

eh? what questions have i avoided on here?

Yep, brill, nothing could possibly go wrong continuing on with the current squad. Top four no problem.

Weren't you laughed out of Redcafe for your outlandish premature meltdowns?

Holy Crap Balls, wasn't that it? And we won that match comfortably in the end! Haven't you learned anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The deadline isn't here yet. I have faith that we will if not sign our top 3 targets we will at least reinforce. The opinion as some posters alluded to that we are adequately stocked in defence is laughable and pretty much invalidates anything they might bring as a credible opinion or argument to the subject of the a united squad next season. Pure madness.

As we stand as a squad right now we are way short at the back, lacking in midfield but with excellent attacking options. This will not see us challenge for the title and will not guarantee us a 4th place.

3 signings minimum. I'd be happy with Blind and Vidal with An Other as an extra CB another midfielder would be ideal too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what we're saying, yup.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    There are quite a number of posters that have grown over the Summer who seem to think that, until he proves otherwise, LvG is infallible and it's heresy to second guess anything that's going on.

Or perhaps those posters think he's had an incredibly positive first 3.5 weeks in charge and has done more good than last year's manager did in the whole of last season, and therefore those posters are really happy to have something positive to cheer about again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

JMH is on the money.

I really do believe some people are more interest in fantasy lineups and transfer muppetry than actually watching United play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Taok wrote: »
    We have FIVE centre backs, a couple of midfielders who could play there if necessary, and 20 days left in the transfer window.

this is not a go at you but bit in bold should set few alarm bells.

we should not be in a position to have to do this and weaken the squad. only if total emergency in injury department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Can someone offer a rational explanation as to why signings this week would be 'too late'? I can understand the frustration over a lack of movement given Woodward's smack talk earlier in the Summer, but to see people starting to question Van Gaal's competence over it is pretty cringeworthy stuff.
    Is he not the manager? Does the buck not stop with him? Moyes got pilloried for a farce of a transfer window but LVG seems set to escape any and all criticism. He is god and shall not be questioned it seems.
    I think Lavezzi would fit in very well with ye. He's insanely talented and I think Van Gaal is the type of guy that would get him into shape and get the best out of him. I think he's better suited to the league than Di Maria as well

I agree, lets assess him for a few years then spend some time thinking about preparing a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Yeah this is bollocks to be honest

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Right, here goes...

I resent this "blind faith" stance and honestly, it's the reason why the "doomsayers" rub me up the wrong way. There's no attempt to see the positives at all. For me, this summer has been massively positive so far.

We fixed the biggest problem from last year (Moyes) and replaced with a far, far superior manager.
    We signed two players who, at the start of the summer, played positions that the vast majority would have singled out as being our biggest problem areas (left back and center midfield).
    We cut a tonne of deadwood, in the form of players who were past it and/or were never going to be near the first team (Rio, Giggs, Evra, Buttner, Bebe, with more to come).
    The only player of significance we lost was Vidic;the reality there is he left when Moyes was in charge, and I personally would say that it was his own impatience to see what happened at the end of the season which saw him gone.

After that, LVG has been very open with regards what is happening; he said he was going to assess what players we needed, we got back from the tour and we started going after players. Everyone knows our CB needs backups, and we know we bid for Vermalean. And that's who we know; it's possible there's other bids were put forward and rejected, and likely that LVG didn't go "No Verm? Well, **** me then, we'll settle!". It's perfectly logical to think there's another CB target being chased now.

The transfer window doesn't close for another 3 weeks (not 99 hours), and the team we have now will be more than capable of steamrolling teams through to October (even Moyes was able to dominate the lower league teams). Meanwhile, on pre-season, we looked very dangerous in attack, decently solid in defence (again, only 1 goal from open play against Real, Liverpool, Roma, Inter and LA Galaxy, and it was a freak goal).

The only "disaster" in waiting is in center defense, and we know that's being worked on as is evident from the bid for Verm. After that, the reality is we aren't in half as bad a shape as some people are trying to paint; we won the league with far less than what we have now to be blunt. RVP, Mata and Rooney all working together will be a ****ing astounding front line, Herrera provides steal, and Carrick/Fletcher/Fel/Cleverly aren't as utterly useless as some people want to paint them as.

We're two players off having one of the best teams in the leauge; another CM and a CB, and we'll easily be in the Top 4 this season.

There's a hell of a lot of reasons to want to think positively this season, and crying "blind faith" shows, to me, just pure stubborness and unwillingness to accept the opinions of others. Fair play, you're worried, you feel its a disgrace. We get it. But there's plenty of people who, for good reason, don't think the sky is falling right now, so maybe respect their opinions too and stop crying "blind faith". And realise that maybe the reason people are moaning about the moaning is because it's nearing on being relentless and obsessive at this stage. If you want to continually post "disaster" and "disgrace", don't be shocked when people start getting frustrated and snapping back.

(And this isn't going to descend into a multi-quote circle. That's my stance on the summer so far, and I've no intentions of repeating this post in 100 different ways; you want me to respect your stance? Then respect mine, ok?)

You just saved me about 20 minutes of typing.

this is not a go at you but bit in bold should set few alarm bells.

we should not be in a position to have to do this and weaken the squad. only if total emergency in injury deepartment

None of our midfielders should be in defence, given they stink in defence our midfield options stink in general, and blacket is miles off the level required, never mind keane (who I do like )

This I totally agree with, crossed out the irrelevant personal stuff as it is unnecessary but the main crux of your point is how I feel about the situation basically.

I won't simply be judging him when the transfer window slams shut, I will have an opinion on how I felt it went, but it will be impossible to actually know until January at the very least, and most likely the end of the season.

Van Gaal has his methods, they have been successful everywhere he has been, he deserves the trust of the fans. It may have only been a friendly tournament we won in the US but it was played against some decent teams, playing good football and you can't tell me Liverpool would not have loved to beat us in that final regardless of anything else.

Van Gaal will decide what he wants for the season and that is good enough for me. The difference in the style of play and attitude to last years pre season is night and day. We were playing ****e and losing to awful teams, now we are playing well and unbeaten against some of the better sides in Europe.

I would think its a mistake going into the season with 3 front line centre halves but I dont think that will happen, and maybe Louis doesnt see it the same way, maybe he has seen something in the likes of Keane and Blackett and wants to give them the season as understudies to aid their development. I don't know what he thinks, I don't know what he will do, all I do know is that is a coach who knows exactly what he is doing, knows what his plan is and knows how to reach his goals.

I trust him to bring the club in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wo are the 5 center backs ?

Smalling
    Jones
    Evans

M. Keane ... Off on loan
    Tyler Blackett - never played a single competitive game

So considering the 3 center backs and their injury record.. How would we fair with a back 3 of ... Carrick, Fletcher and Blackett for a run of games ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement