Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thats probably the guts of £130m? Really think we are spending that on top of the £60m or so already spent?

Unlikely, not only for the reason that some of those targets are unavailable but the question was a hypothetical one as was my reply. Spending 130 million on top of what we have isn't such a fantasy it just depends on the will of the owners firstly and secondly if the manager feels he needs to which I'd say is unlikely certainly in the second case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

If you're talking about overpaying for Blind and Vertonghen then you can forget about Benatia if the quotes I read are true...

Edit:
    Sabatini said: "I believe that Mehdi has been influenced by his agent. He speaks of €30m (£24.4m), so we need at least €60 maybe even €61.

"Anyone who wants Benatia will have to pay €61 (£49.6m)."

Ha okay I didn't see that, I would be thinking £20 million. That's wild money just go out and buy Chiellini and Hummels for that. He is a good player but probably on a similar level to Lovren.

I wonder if PSG would let us look after Marquinhos for a year since they spunked 50 mill on Luiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Strumms wrote: »
    Great call, I'd have Veratti in a United shirt tomorrow, I really think his aggressive style would suit us and the PL down to the ground. I wonder how difficult it would be to prise him from PSG, they have made a couple of signings in midfield over the summer and have really good options but it doesn't look like he is a target. Linked with us a lot last year not a dickie this year. Shame wonderful player.

He is a player I love watching even in a sh!t league. Actually looking through the PSG squad they would never sell him, they have him Motta, Cabaye and Matuidi vying for 3 spots if the play similar formation to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

FutureGuy wrote: »
    For me, we had 5 critical pieces of business to attend to before the start if the new season.

1) Bring in a top manager
    2) Pick the confidence of the players off the floor
    3) Sign a first team LB
    4) Sign a first team CM
    5) Sign an experienced CB

We have ticked off the first 4 very quickly. We are certainly looking at CBs and we are certainly in for Vidal based on actual quotes from the player and Juve staff.

It's funny, last year we were all hoping that United would just shut up and do the transfers in the quiet. We have that at the moment but people are now upset that there is no news. We can't have it both ways.

If we sign no one else until Christmas, then so be it. I think we have the players, the manager and the mentality to be challenging at Christmas when we could strengthen significantly. Well be winning a few games 3-2 but sure at least it'll be exciting :-D

I'm actually delighted that Van Gaal is taking his sweet time. I'm be more annoyed if he came in and splurged 100m on players when someone in the squad could flourish under him.

With no.2 being the hardest of those 5 points to do and LVG has done that and then some. He has got Ashley Young looking like our best player pre season and has the team playing with belief.

A CB and I would be happy too. I think we will be in the market in January also.

Saying that I think we will get Blind and Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

hang on a f*cking second here now, but what the hell are you talking about? i brought up a very simple topic that our manager and the ce/board may have problems down then line. its not be having a tizzy or being negative, its a very legitamate topic that has already been discussed elsewhere and is starting to creep into being an issue.

instead of going off willy waving and derailing the thread (which you have now done), looking for thanks off the thanks whore brigade on here, why didnt you just debate the point that i brought up?

and how is saying that our manager and the board could have issues in the future., who lets be fair has had a tendancy to stay short term at most jobs he took over, is me being negative?

i will tell you what is madness, its the constant whining from people about anybody who dares mention one bad word about the club (and i didnt even do that). they complain about people complaining or moaning, but thats exactly what they are doing themselves.

Homer, I simply don't understand why this would even be a topic 4 weeks into his tenure as manager. We don't know what will happen in this regard.

Now before you say it, I have no real problem with speculation with a bit of a basis to it. But this is based on the pie in the sky idea that LVG won't like Woodward\the current administration team. It's speculation based on confirmation bias relating to an opinion you hold. You think Woodward is ****, as such, LVG may too. For us to discuss this, we first have to agree with your idea that Woodward is awful enough for LVG to dislike and doing nothing to make signings. I don't agree with this.

I'd also like to put forward my own theory; I reckon LVG and Woodward will be bros. they'll go on the sauce together at Uefa conferences and be best mates forever. I have no basis for this other than the fact that they both seem like decent enough sorts, but let's give this theory credence, because, you know, it could possibly happen, you know?

TL;DR: Let's get some evidence before we go down the rabbit hole, ja?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mats Hummels : All round good aggressive superb center back, great leadership and a proven winner.

Jan Vertongen : An experienced premiership player now who had a really good couple of seasons for Spurs

Blind : is a good footballer with a great touch, two good feet and a good range of passing all for a big guy who can be very versatile and cover across the back as well as midfield...

Vidal : I was a fan before he bacme the a united muppet summer wet dream. I was at the AC Milan vs Juventus game also during the season gone and from the seats we had he was great to watch. A super all round player with great positional sense, a threat going forward, an intelligent user of the ball and an imposing effective presence when defending. A beast of a player.

Having said all that I'd substitute one of those dedicated CB spots for a second midfielder.

Blind is a big guy?

Of course Vidal would be amazing, but isn't happening, neither is Hummels. Verthongan wont be signing either.

Carvalho is one I would hope gets serious consideration from Van Gaal if a deal is possible there

kryogen wrote: »
    Blind is a big guy?

Of course Vidal would be amazing, but isn't happening, neither is Hummels. Verthongan wont be signing either.

Carvalho is one I would hope gets serious consideration from Van Gaal if a deal is possible there

Again the question posed was hypothetical rather who will or won't be signing.. Let's face it none of us know anyway. I'd have imagine Blind to be 6ftish going from just watching him on TV but never having measured his inside leg.

Liverpool will spend over 100 million this summer, if we aren't in a position to invest 60 million more than them when it it is badly needed then I would be really worried

Context is a wonderful thing to ignore sometimes isn't it

Again the question posed was hypothetical rather who will or won't be signing.. Let's face it none of us know anyway. I'd have imagine Blind to be 6ftish going from just watching him on TV but never having measured his inside leg.

I checked after you posted cuz he never looked very big to me, turns out he is 5'10. Not what you would call a big guy, not important sure really, just struck me as odd to see it!

I know, I was just giving my thoughts on the hypothetical scenarios, while offering one of my own

I checked after you posted cuz he never looked very big to me, turns out he is 5'10. Not what you would call a big guy, not important sure really, just struck me as odd to see it!

I know, I was just giving my thoughts on the hypothetical scenarios, while offering one of my own

Well Wikipedia States 5'11 but we won't argue over an inch :pac: either way he always looked taller but how and ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pat Nevin on Off the Ball said he thinks United will sign 2 to 3 more players.

I come on here and one would think reading some posts, we are facing a full blown crisis with no more new signings to come.

What will be will be. We have a manager who is very capable and speaking of Pat Nevin, he said Chelsea tried out the 3-5-2 formation in their last match.
    He also said LVG in a match if it is not going to plan will keep changing the formation, the tactics will be fluid, something I don't think we could say about last season...

I heard LvG doesn't like the tea lady. She serves it too weak. There's tension creeping in. #SaveTheTeaLady #Crisis #SpeculatingBasedOnSpeculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How tall was Evra, Cole or if going by CMs Makelele or Mascherano. I hate the talk of physicality in the league. Complete myth. Kagawa, Rooney and Mata, Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Navas at City, Hazard, Willian, Oscar at Chelsea. I could go onto Arsenal but seriously I think the point is proved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whatever about signing midfielders, cover for wingbacks or wide players, the real concern for me is CB and IMO is a real concern going into the start of the season as is, even if there is time left in the window after that.

We are one injury away from either throwing a kid with no experience into that position or trying to get a midfielder to cover. That's just simply not good enough if we do indeed start the season like that.

CM is another debate and we may well get away with what we have but, with the when the Carrick situation arose I was full sure the likes of De Jong would be brought in or at least attempted to be brought in.

I'm delighted that Van Gaal is in charge and has the team playing with a bit of swagger again. I was one of the few on here last year that maintained the squad was good enough for top 4 as it was and it was dis service to the players to suggest that it was solely Fergusons magic that had this average squad of players challenging.

But time has moved on, players have left and haven't been replaced. If Utd don't sign at least one CB in the next week it will be a huge huge gamble and IMO negligent on their part. I honestly think it could be the difference between finishing and not finishing in the top 4. Title challenge talk is pie in the sky as things stand IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

At this stage I would have expected things to be moving slightly quicker. The clear out talked about has not yet happened which would make you thing we are not signing the players we thought we would. We may get one in before Sunday but we will have the likes of Cleverely, Nani, Ando next season which is dissapointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whether we sign another player or not, this team is more than good enoough for a top 4. Win the league? don't think so as City and Chelsea look very strong.

The team should never have finished 7th last year, Moyes drained any confidence out of them and they lost the air of fear that smaller teams always had at OT. The players that won us the league in 12/13 where still there and Vidic/Evra/RF were always on the way out. Did any of them play any significant role last year, if we're honest they didn't do anything that will be missed Time for Evans/Jones etc to take the step up that United have invested all that time and money in.

LVG is a much better manager than Moyes, he will get the best out of the players he has. The Dutch team were not even close to world beaters but made it to the Semi-s. A few top class players mixed with a mostly modest squad. Sounds exactly like Utd.

Moyes played to our weaknesses. He made us sit back and invite the opposition to attack us, with the players he had that was always a receipte for disaster. Like L'pool last year, the best way to cover your weakness is to focus on the strenghts. We had, and still have, some of the best front players in the league and LVG will get us playing to take advantage of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Express reporting PSG eyeing up Rooney and that a deal was already discussed at some level...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/498094/PSG-still-eyeing-Wayne-Rooney-or-Andre-Schurrle-as-Angel-Di-Maria-alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

F*CK YEAH ONLY 98 AND 3 QUARTER HOURS UNTIL WE WILL BE WATCHING UNITED SMASH SWANSEA IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!

Liam O wrote: »
    How tall was Evra, Cole or if going by CMs Makelele or Mascherano. I hate the talk of physicality in the league. Complete myth. Kagawa, Rooney and Mata, Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Navas at City, Hazard, Willian, Oscar at Chelsea. I could go onto Arsenal but seriously I think the point is proved.

Are you under the impression I think his height is relevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Sacramento wrote: »
    I heard LvG doesn't like the tea lady. She serves it too weak. There's tension creeping in. #SaveTheTeaLady #Crisis #SpeculatingBasedOnSpeculation

She's not gone on LVGs Willy Waving either....LVG is a big Willy waver or so I'm told by people I choose to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ericzeking wrote: »
    She's not gone on LVGs Willy Waving either....LVG is a big Willy waver or so I'm told by people I choose to believe

So we have, based on unconfirmed reports, that it's a choice between the tea lady, LVG or Woodward.

Unconfirmed reports maybe, but I read it on a forum so there has to be some grain of truth to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Where can I watch the match tonight my pedigree chums ?

dor843088 wrote: »
    Where can I watch the match tonight my pedigree chums ?

Here, for only €1.99. Not a terrible deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Here, for only €1.99. Not a terrible deal.

What time is kickoff?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

F*CK YEAH ONLY 98 AND 3 QUARTER HOURS UNTIL WE WILL BE WATCHING UNITED SMASH SWANSEA IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!

Can you imagine the place here if Swansea sneak a 1-0 win :D :pac:

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    What time is kickoff?

Half six according to that, hope I make it home in time!

url-17.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Express reporting PSG eyeing up Rooney and that a deal was already discussed at some level...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/498094/PSG-still-eyeing-Wayne-Rooney-or-Andre-Schurrle-as-Angel-Di-Maria-alternative

The Express are a complete waste of time, total bullsh1t artists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

steps_3314 wrote: »
    At this stage I would have expected things to be moving slightly quicker. The clear out talked about has not yet happened which would make you thing we are not signing the players we thought we would. We may get one in before Sunday but we will have the likes of Cleverely, Nani, Ando next season which is dissapointing.

Seriously? Rio, Evra, Macheda, Vidic, Bebe already gone. The other players who are going were only told when they got back from the US. You can't just get rid of players under contract. Someone has to want to sign them.

Surely this week can't get any worse than yesterday. The thread going into meltdown due to lack of movement.

All of that and Robin Williams dying of sadness. Surely things can only get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Checked it, its on at 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What time is kickoff?

Coverage/build up on MUTV starts at 6.30pm.

Match starts at 7.30pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

So what if the current squad is good enough to finish fourth?

We're Manchester United.

We should be aiming to win the title.

Checked it, its on at 7.30
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Coverage/build up on MUTV starts at 6.30pm.

Match starts at 7.30pm.

Cool thanks, will definitely get home in time then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Win the league? don't think so as City and Chelsea look very strong.

The depressing thing is that it didn't need to be this way. We were the league champions, had we been decisive last summer about fixing our problems we could easily have continued to challenge at the top.

Three solid signings last summer would have made a massive difference to our squad, had we done that then this summer we would only need to add one/two more quality players to continue developing the side. Instead, last summer was a complete farce that has set us back years, its a real shame.

Moyes and Woodward really screwed the ****ing pooch last year. What people can't seem to see is that its happening again.

There are two possibilities:

- Woodward is utterly incompetent and is flapping around trying to sign players and failing spectacularly.

- Big ticket transfers will happen in the coming days "big bang style" a la Herrera.

If it's the latter, fair enough. But if it's the former, Woodward needs to step aside and appoint a deal maker to look after transfers (e.g. a David Dein type who actually has relationships across Europe and further afield).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The depressing thing is that it didn't need to be this way. We were the league champions, had we been decisive last summer about fixing our problems we could easily have continued to challenge at the top.

Three solid signings last summer would have made a massive difference to our squad, had we done that then this summer we would only need to add one/two more quality players to continue developing the side. Instead, last summer was a complete farce that has set us back years, its a real shame.

Moyes and Woodward really screwed the ****ing pooch last year. What people can't seem to see is that its happening again.

I agree with most of that but I'll still, as always, only judge a transfer window when it closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Nobody thought Liverpool would challenge for the league last year, but they played cracking attacking football in a new system that blew the weaker sides away and was damn effective against the big teams.

We have a thin squad, but we also are not in Europe, which is the main reason I'm not as worried as some others are. We have less games, more time for preparation. We are playing some lovely stuff against top sides in pre-season, and LVG looks to be getting the best out of the players.

I have a good feeling about this year. If we sign a CM and a CB before the window closes, I will have a REALLY good feeling about this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

But even Moyesy managed to beat them :eek: #LvGOUT

There are two possibilities:

- Woodward is utterly incompetent and is flapping around trying to sign players and failing spectacularly.

- Big ticket transfers will happen in the coming days "big bang style" a la Herrera.

If it's the latter, fair enough. But if it's the former, Woodward needs to step aside and appoint a deal maker to look after transfers (e.g. a David Dein type who actually has relationships across Europe and further afield).

Your forgetting to include the third, real reason. Woodward has only bid for the players LVG has asked him to bid for.

All we have heard in the press points to LVG pulling out of the Kross deal, having no intrest in Cesc or Hummells (thus far) and after three weeks of assessing the squad he indicated that he wanted Vermalen.

Woodward is not going to go for a player that LVG hasn't asked for. That would be crazy.

• Advertisement

By the way, O Jogo's front page claims we have made a €20m offer for Marcos Rojo. A centre-back who played left back for Argentina in the World Cup and had a good tournament.

I'd be happy with that.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-have-made-a-e20m-bid-for-sporting-left-back-marcos-rojo-o-jogo/

Your forgetting to include the third, real reason. Woodward has only bid for the players LVG has asked him to bid for.

All we have heard in the press points to LVG pulling out of the Kross deal, having no intrest in Cesc or Hummells (thus far) and after three weeks of assessing the squad he indicated that he wanted Vermalen.

Woodward is not going to go for a player that LVG hasn't asked for. That would be crazy.

If Louis Van Gaal has assessed the squad and concluded that the only player we need is Vermalen, then we are royally f..ked.

If Louis Van Gaal has assessed the squad and concluded that the only player we need is Vermalen, then we are royally f..ked.

LVG has a history of switching players positions and roles and often striking gold, does he not? He can probably see things in the squad that we have never seen and would never see....he's been watching them train now for the bones of a month. Ashley Young is already looking to be thriving in the wing back role, long may that continue...there are bound to be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

For me, we had 5 critical pieces of business to attend to before the start if the new season.

1) Bring in a top manager
    2) Pick the confidence of the players off the floor
    3) Sign a first team LB
    4) Sign a first team CM
    5) Sign an experienced CB

We have ticked off the first 4 very quickly. We are certainly looking at CBs and we are certainly in for Vidal based on actual quotes from the player and Juve staff.

It's funny, last year we were all hoping that United would just shut up and do the transfers in the quiet. We have that at the moment but people are now upset that there is no news. We can't have it both ways.

If we sign no one else until Christmas, then so be it. I think we have the players, the manager and the mentality to be challenging at Christmas when we could strengthen significantly. Well be winning a few games 3-2 but sure at least it'll be exciting :-D

I'm actually delighted that Van Gaal is taking his sweet time. I'm be more annoyed if he came in and splurged 100m on players when someone in the squad could flourish under him.
    I agree with you to an extent – we don’t need to rush out and splurge a fortune on bringing in 5 or 6 more Smallings / Andersons / Powells who will add nothing to the first XI but I do think we are slow off the mark with recruiting 2 new CBs. Centre Backs tend to need time to gel into a team and we have known since January that we needed 2. Whether it was Van Gaal or Moyes this would have been known and we are led to believe United had a “hit list” or players they wanted in each position with back up options should their first choice not materialise.

If we are to believe the hype then Hummels seems to have been our No. 1 CB target. This plainly is not happening just as Kroos was never going to happen and Reus will never happen. Deal with it and move on. So we did – our next choice (probably due to availablilty) was Vermaelen but Wenger ensured that didn’t happen. So one would assume we move to plan C. We desperately need a minimum one top class, proven CB by the end of the month. We also need another option there for when the 3 amigos currently entrusted with the roles either get injured or are shown up (50/50 which happens first).

Last season’s disaster was brushed aside in a PR spin of “we were trying to sign Bale” which seemed to suggest everything was excusable because all the effort was being put into that. I can see something similar happening this year – “Sure we have a hole in defence but that because we thought we could sign Di Maria”

I’m quite happy for the club to do their business in private – as long as there is business. Would lvoe to see 4 or 5 players cleared out and 2 or 3 brought in over the coming weeks but have a feeling we’ll be seeing Nani / Cleverly / Smalling and co while we talk about how we’re going to address central defence and mid field “in the next window” and talk about how great our Carling Cup run is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    LVG has a history of switching players positions and roles and often striking gold, does he not? He can probably see things in the squad that we have never seen and would never see....he's been watching them train now for the bones of a month. Ashley Young is already looking to be thriving in the wing back role, long may that continue...there are bound to be others.

Is this really what we want to pin our hopes upon? Back in the day LVG turned Schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder and now a lot of people seem to think its a given that LVG will solve all our problems by moving the players around like pieces on a chessboard.

And then theres this:

8guEsOA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    By the way, O Jogo's front page claims we have made a €20m offer for Marcos Rojo. A centre-back who played left back for Argentina in the World Cup and had a good tournament.

I'd be happy with that.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-have-made-a-e20m-bid-for-sporting-left-back-marcos-rojo-o-jogo/
    don't like him myself - not worth that money, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    And then theres this:

8guEsOA.jpg

6FqPybw.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

don't like him myself - not worth that money, imo.

Any transfer action at this stage I will take. The more I think of Woodie mouthing off a few weeks back when nowt was in the pipeline the more angry I get. You can only say 'watch this space' when fcuking something is about to happen, not as an interview soundbite.

• Advertisement

Is this really what we want to pin our hopes upon? Back in the day LVG turned Schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder and now a lot of people seem to think its a given that LVG will solve all our problems by moving the players around like pieces on a chessboard.

I never said it will solve all our problems but it will definitely form part of some solutions.

On the one hand we want smooth attacking total football but on the other hand do we want specific players for specific positions? That doesn't add up for me.

We've hired a Coach, not an old school motivational type manager(although he appears to have these qualities too), but primarily a coach. I wish lads would give him the chance to coach instead of incessantly demanding all these world class names.

I believe we need a centre back as a matter of urgency and not even neccessarily an instant world class name but other than that I'm excited to see what he can do with what he has and how he sees the squad developing going forward.

Lads wanting 3 world class (whatever you deem that to mean) signings are setting themselves up for a fall, I think or they are merely setting up the rhetoric they will churn out for the rest of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement