Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Any transfer action at this stage I will take. The more I think of Woodie mouthing off a few weeks back when nowt was in the pipeline the more angry I get. You can only say 'watch this space' when fcuking something is about to happen, not as an interview soundbite.

This is what I am afraid of - that we will end up buying more bang average players, just adding numbers, not quality.

We need signings, but they also need to be the right signings. I don't want another Fellaini.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If Louis Van Gaal has assessed the squad and concluded that the only player we need is Vermalen, then we are royally f..ked.

He has made some strange calls in this transfer window. I hope he knows what he is doing but the point I'm making is people seem to be laying all the blame with Wooward when he is just following LVG's intructions.

LVG doesn't seem like the type who would keep quite if Woodward was making a balls of multiple bids, he would come out and say "I have asked for players but it has not happened and I am not happy". The papers knew of our bids last summer, they are a lot quiter this summer because the enquires are not happening. These are LVGs calls. Woodward can clearly enquire and make bids, he can also get deals done quickly.

The reason its not happening or as quick as we want is down to LVG not Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who would people like Van Gaal replaced with?

Since a bunch of people seem not to think he's doing a good job already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

keane2097 wrote: »

I hear David Moyes is available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Not sure if this is obvious but match is available to stream from MUTV for €1.99

http://unitedlive.manutd.com/watch-09-08-2014/register

This is a post intent on winding people up. Just because you critisise a cerain factor of a mangers work doesn't mean you think he is'nt good enough.

Like any other manager LVG isn't flawless.

He has done a great job with getting the players on his side and implementing a new system and getting the team playing decent football. He is a very confident and decisive man and I'm delighted he is our manager.

His transfer activity has been odd. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

The positives far outwiegh that one negative and you will always have negatives because football managers are humans just like the rest of us.

I don't recall anyone saying he isn't good enough. Who exactly are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I want woodward replaced, not LVG.

My personal belief is that LVG has asked for a number of players - Hummels, Vermaelen, Vidal, Cuadrado, Di Maria, likely some others too like Blind, and that Woodward has failed to sign any of them. I don't actually believe LVG is till trying to decide if we need signings, i think much of what he has said in this regard has simply been lying to the media, keeping his opinions to himself and United.

This is a post intent on winding people up. Just because you critisise a cerain factor of a mangers work doesn't mean you think he is'nt good enough.

Like any other manager LVG isn't flawless.

He has done a great job with getting the players on his side and implementing a new system and getting the team playing decent football. He is a very confident and decisive man and I'm delighted he is our manager.

His transfer activity has been odd. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

The positives far outwiegh that one negative and you will always have negatives because football managers are humans just like the rest of us.

I don't recall anyone saying he isn't good enough. Who exactly are you referring to?

Breath:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is a post intent on winding people up.

A keane2097 post? Never! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky Sports News just said they are investigating some big name transfers at Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The only manager currently in the game a step up from Van Gaal is Mourinho.

Pep, Ancelotti, Klopp like Van Gaal all have question marks about them. Van Gaal isn't flawless but for the moment I am just glad we have him and not Moyes or Giggs as it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A keane2097 post? Never! :D

How dare you.

Sky Sports News just said they are investigating some big name transfers at Manchester United.

As in why we paid €7M for Bebe or €27M for Fellani???

Jim White got his Sherlock Holmes hat on and hearing about a big unveiling before kick off on Saturday not realising it’s a Nike sponsored Rory McIlroy show?

We live in hope young pipe – we live in hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

My personal belief is that LVG has asked for a number of players - Hummels, Vermaelen, Vidal, Cuadrado, Di Maria, likely some others too like Blind, and that Woodward has failed to sign any of them. I don't actually believe LVG is till trying to decide if we need signings, i think much of what he has said in this regard has simply been lying to the media, keeping his opinions to himself and United.

Sweet Jesus.

The manager who openly criticised:
    - A £27m signings fitness
    - The training ground
    - The commercial side of United
    - The pre-season tour plans

Is lying to protect Woodward? Righteo so.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    For me, we had 5 critical pieces of business to attend to before the start if the new season.

1) Bring in a top manager
    2) Pick the confidence of the players off the floor
    3) Sign a first team LB
    4) Sign a first team CM
    5) Sign an experienced CB

We have ticked off the first 4 very quickly. We are certainly looking at CBs and we are certainly in for Vidal based on actual quotes from the player and Juve staff.

It's funny, last year we were all hoping that United would just shut up and do the transfers in the quiet. We have that at the moment but people are now upset that there is no news. We can't have it both ways.

If we sign no one else until Christmas, then so be it. I think we have the players, the manager and the mentality to be challenging at Christmas when we could strengthen significantly. Well be winning a few games 3-2 but sure at least it'll be exciting :-D

I'm actually delighted that Van Gaal is taking his sweet time. I'm be more annoyed if he came in and splurged 100m on players when someone in the squad could flourish under him.

Quoting this, just to balance out the absolute non-sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

They won't find anything.

tumblr_lcq0hnhyWq1qzzxqx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

This places goes around in circles.

Im sure some arguements just get copied and pasted from 3 days ago.

Ye must be awful boring people bleating on about the same thing again and again and again.

Its a top tier football club/business. We have no idea what happens there no more than what happens in an office in a tesco.

We get it, we need signings. Bitching about it isnt going to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

You want Woodward, the CEO of a multi million pound corporation, replaced based on a load of stuff you made up in your head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

20 days left in the transfer window.....

Nothing indicating that something wont happen before then. I'd imagine Woodward has learned lessons from last year.

A hunt looks on for a CB anyway. With no definitive information it's pointless speculating, we can say what we think in terms of the squad, but it might be totally of centre with LVG's thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he can mount a title challenge with the squad, and central midfielders he has. We are completely forgetting the utter arrogance of this man when it comes to moulding and developing players.

Of course the possability might arrive that we reach deadline day passing with no new signings, and I'd say the best place to make "accurate" comment on that decision would be November/December and see how we lie.

Another entirely equal opportunity is that some new signings do arrive in the next 20 days. I'd be happier with the club focusing on key, well thought of purchases, rather then sporadically buying on a whim to "appease" some restless fans. Who when we accept it, have **** all clue about football at that level in fariness, as much as we don't like to admit it.

Wouldn't be suprised if a utility player, or ovious improvement/bargain arrives, and then LVG takes the first half of the season to assess. He might feel what he has can achieve, but if it doesn't, no problem, make singings in January. We arn't being phased by any players being cup tied, and there will be benefit of seeing how somoene has started the season.

Looking at Strootman here specifically.

We've spent circa £30 on a LB that is "one for the future" but in reality needs to hit the ground running, now.

We spent another circa £30m on a Central Midfielder where questions will linger for a good while, despite the impressive start. But hardly a heavy hitter of European football.

I sincerely doubt money, or penny pinching will be an issue this summer, as opposed to last.

Thats the key phrase in your post. Belief could be swapped for opinion, grudge etc etc

Now we have a situation where Woodward can't even bid for Hummels, Vermaelen, Vidal, Cuadrado, Di Maria????

Putting in a bid is the easy part, he done that last summer and the press reported it. If those players were bid for we would have heard about it. No bids means LVG hasn't asked for them, yet.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    You want Woodward, the CEO of a multi million pound corporation, replaced based on a load of stuff you made up in your head?

Yes, this has been the woodward out sides arguement for the last 3 weeks.

Its ridiculous and I believe they look immature.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, with the official stream, does anyone know if it works on iPads and thus also on Airplay?

Would love to get it on my TV tonight rather than my laptop. Anyone use an AppleTV with the other games?

Ye must be awful boring people bleating on about the same thing again and again and again.

Its a top tier football club/business. We have no idea what happens there no more than what happens in an office in a tesco.

This is just typical fan talk in fairness, happens in every sport, where we discuss and debate, and at times row furiously over points that in reality we have absolutely no comprehension or understanding off.

We've had weeks of "Vidal" talk, and yet we have absolutely no indication if the club have had any genuine interest, at all, nor do we have any indication that we are even looking for a CM.

The only confirmation we have that is definitive, is that some players are being told they can leave as they are not required, and that we are looking for a new CB.

But this isn't some stunning new revelation, and part of the joys of being a fan. We all have our opinions and thoughts on how this should work or that should work.

Its kinda the point of the thread though – transfer “rumours” – if we actually had a bug in Woodwards office it would be entitled “probable transfer transactions” but I hear your point – I’m extermely bored BTW – have nothing to do in work and at least posting on here gives the impression I’m doing something.

I actually dread the first week in September when the window is closed, the moaning is done and I need to find sometihng else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, with the official stream, does anyone know if it works on iPads and thus also on Airplay?

Would love to get it on my TV tonight rather than my laptop. Anyone use an AppleTV with the other games?

Yeah, I'm using an older macbook air though that doesn't have airplay, so I use a an app called air parrot instead, that works fine for me and as far as I'm aware it's pretty much an airplay clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep it does. Used it that way for the games in the States.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Its kinda the point of the thread though – transfer “rumours” – if we actually had a bug in Woodwards office it would be entitled “probable transfer transactions” but I hear your point – I’m extermely bored BTW – have nothing to do in work and at least posting on here gives the impression I’m doing something.

I actually dread the first week in September when the window is closed, the moaning is done and I need to find sometihng else to do.

Ya I know its the point of the thread and discussing them is fine but some posters are just getting militant about everything and making this place painful with phrases like

''As I have said before''

''I ve already covered this point but ill say it again while you bleach out your eyes''

Rumours are good but you need a dose of realism with them as well, do people think we arent trying to get players. its annoying and I know I can stay out and not read the thread for a few days or hours but then its even worse as you skim through and need to check if you have moved on to the next page.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Coat22 wrote: »

Don't worry there'll still be plenty of moaning come September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I know Sky disabled Airplay last season for iPads, the Sky Go app does not work unless you buy a third party app.

If you have a PC, laptop or Macbook you could stream it on there and use an App called 'Air Parrot' which works with Apple TV. All depends on what devices you are using etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I get a great kick out of the thread...I had a read there last night before going to bed....my girlfriend asked me what I was laughing at, I told her that lads were going all mental about Uniteds lack of transfers....fellas surely park all this stuff when they go back to reality??

Do lads go around the place on a daily basis banging doors and scowling at people in a rage because of Ed Woodward??!!!!!!

Surely not? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nothing indicating that something wont happen before then. I'd imagine Woodward has learned lessons from last year.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    yet we have absolutely no indication if the club have had any genuine interest, at all, nor do we have any indication that we are even looking for a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know Sky disabled Airplay last season for iPads, the Sky Go app does not work unless you buy a third party app.

If you have a PC, laptop or Macbook you could stream it on there and use an App called 'Air Parrot' which works with Apple TV. All depends on what devices you are using etc.

Will defo work on iPads and support airplay to Apple TV. I signed up for it for the US games and was delighted to find it worked on both so had the match streaming on my ipad and then used airplay to Apple TV to watch it on my plasma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

While I'm far from calling for anyone's head and I think that we've missed out on several targets simply due to them just wanting to go elsewhere/not to us, what's wrong with complaining that the club have failed to deliver a close to finalised squad for the first game of the season? i.e. we're one injury away on Saturday from being forced to sign a player.

I mean the season starts then, not on September 2 and all of our rivals have managed to strengthen their squad and move (further) ahead of us by now and look fairly settled.

Yes, this has been the woodward out sides arguement for the last 3 weeks.

Its ridiculous and I believe they look immature.

Well in fairness I’d love to see the lads annual review from last year:

Hit net income target with revenue increasing X% - check
    Grew commercial revenues by X% with siging of XX number of new “partner” agreements – check
    Negotiated new shirt sponsorship and kit deals for £50M+ a year - check

Ensured long term success of business model through maintaining strenght of first team playing squad – not achieved
    Backfilled senior management roles with competent staff who will build on achievements of previous role holders – not achieved in 2013/14 season.

Overall Ed had achieved the short term goals of the business by hitting net income target and growing non match day revenues. However Ed needs to focus on medium to long term sustainability of the business by ensuring investment in the primary product, the football team, is sufficiently robust to grow the business long term. Ed has shown strong leadership in dealing with under performing senior management (albeit at a significant cost) and needs to ensure their replacement is sufficiently managed to ensure a repeat of this performance is not tolerated.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    While I'm far from calling for anyone's head and I think that we've missed out on several targets simply due to them just wanting to go elsewhere/not to us, what's wrong with complaining that the club have failed to deliver a close to finalised squad for the first game of the season? i.e. we're one injury away on Saturday from being forced to sign a player.

I mean the season starts then, not on September 2 and all of our rivals have managed to strengthen their squad and move (further) ahead of us by now and look fairly settled.

But we're not playing any rivals in the first 2 months of the season. We have the 3 promoted teams plus Sunderland and West Ham in the first 5 games. We should be winning these even with the current squad. That's why I'm not bothered about early signings. There are still 20 days left of the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

but that ignores the fact that our rivals have had the same management team in place all year, while our manager started just last month. A delay in transfer business was the price of getting van Gaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Will interest some on here.

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 54m
    There are new restrictions this season on bringing electronic devices into Old Trafford. Find out more: http://bddy.me/1pM5FpP

No iPads lads.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I get a great kick out of the thread...I had a read there last night before going to bed....my girlfriend asked me what I was laughing at, I told her that lads were going all mental about Uniteds lack of transfers....fellas surely park all this stuff when they go back to reality??

Do lads go around the place on a daily basis banging doors and scowling at people in a rage because of Ed Woodward??!!!!!!

Surely not? :cool:

Banging their toe on a table and dropping to their knees WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

Want to make any narrative here, or just leave some lines out of context?

But we're not playing any rivals in the first 2 months of the season. We have the 3 promoted teams plus Sunderland and West Ham in the first 5 games. We should be winning these even with the current squad. That's why I'm not bothered about early signings. There are still 20 days left of the window.

So we're fine with the attitude of ''Sure we'd beat them with half a squad, they're only wee teams''?

That's a million miles away from properly preparing.
    RayCun wrote: »
    but that ignores the fact that our rivals have had the same management team in place all year, while our manager started just last month. A delay in transfer business was the price of getting van Gaal

I agree, it's certainly a factor, but I still don't see why it's unacceptable to think that we could have been further on in terms of players in/out than we are now based solely on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Spot on. There's no panic - and if the current squad which seem invigorated again cant get results in those 5 games then the whole thing is fvcked.
    2 or 3 new players are needed - but they are not needed straight away and our first really difficult game is not until the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    By the way, O Jogo's front page claims we have made a €20m offer for Marcos Rojo. A centre-back who played left back for Argentina in the World Cup and had a good tournament.

I'd be happy with that.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-have-made-a-e20m-bid-for-sporting-left-back-marcos-rojo-o-jogo/

this seems to be gathering pace now. Southampton had a £9m bid turned down last week, i wonder would that have been accepted had the rumoured United bids not been in the pipeline?

i dont know enough about him to comment apart from the few games i seen him play during the summer - he looks decent, but again is mainly left sided - think however he is more comfortable at CB than Blind.

So we're fine with the attitude of ''Sure we'd beat them with half a squad, they're only wee teams''?

That's a million miles away from properly preparing.

Who said that they're not properly prepared? I certainly didn't. They squad we have needs improvement to challenge for the top 3, but is capable of getting 4th. I think we will sign players before the deadline, but not having them before the first game doesn't mean the team isn't prepared correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

this seems to be gathering pace now. Southampton had a £9m bid turned down last week, i wonder would that have been accepted had the rumoured United bids not been in the pipeline?

i dont know enough about him to comment apart from the few games i seen him play during the summer - he looks decent, but again is mainly left sided - think however he is more comfortable at CB than Blind.

He's got no right foot. Could we get him and Valencia on each wing?

Who said that they're not properly prepared? I certainly didn't. They squad we have needs improvement to challenge for the top 3, but is capable of getting 4th. I think we will sign players before the deadline, but not having them before the first game doesn't mean the team isn't prepared correctly.

I'm saying going into the season with the attitude that ''we don't need to get business done because we only play ''small'' teams in our first few games'' isn't one of being properly prepared.

The squad we currently have is one or two injuries at the back away from scrounging around in 5th or 6th for the year and even if completely fit is going to face a big fight for 4th.

But we have moved completely away from what my initial point in my first post was anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We should all relax until the second of September unless we don't get 9 points in the games of course :pac:

I think business will be done at some point in the next few weeks and we will bring in 2 or 3 players, stupid leaving it so late again but if it gets done there will be no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I think a CB will def be signed in this window, one that would be an improvement on our current options, but I'm struggling to think of someone.

Hummels would, but don't think that's going to happen. Not sure about Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think business will be done at some point in the next few weeks and we will bring in 2 or 3 players

i think this is the general expectations of 90% of our fans, but every passing day starts to raise our desperation levels and i believe that on deadline day this year, we will be panicing into signing a player or 2 which should never have been allowed to materialise after last year.

i expected Vermaelen in before now (not that i wanted him i have to add) though so my cautious optimism i had for transfers a few weeks back is now turning to extremely cautious. a player before Saturday would certainly help raise the mood as the initial euphoria about Moyes out/LVG in/Preseason/shaw/Herrera has started to die down considerably.

the things that do make me confident of players coming in, is down to the following -

LVG has said the squad is "broken" and unbalanced.
    he has said that he needs defenders.
    he has said that we lack wingers.
    it looks like he has identified a need for a center half.
    i believe he is also closely monitoring Vidal.
    we should be in a position to attract players with him on board now and we have a huge gap in our wage bill which means we can attract players with the right cash - its sad it has to come to that, but so be it - we are in a desperate state now this late in the window.

now, whether or not the club can deliver on LVGS needs is another thing, though i think that players coming in now will be have some links to LVG thus should be easier to close quicker than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ideally we should have business done by now for another CB and CM.

But, with no Europe to worry about its not as big a issue.

What will be a issue though is if we dont sign those positions come 2nd september

A winger would be nice too be not essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

my cautious optimism i had for transfers a few weeks back

*checks homerjays posts from 3 weeks back
    *laughs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement