Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• We should all relax until the second of September unless we don't get 9 points in the games of course :pac:

I think business will be done at some point in the next few weeks and we will bring in 2 or 3 players, stupid leaving it so late again but if it gets done there will be no complaints
    I hope so, I'm starting to get edgy.

A reported bid for Rojo this morning. He was good at WC but I would prefer an attempt to sign a central defender. Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hope so, I'm starting to get edgy.

A reported bid for Rojo this morning. He was good at WC but I would prefer an attempt to sign a central defender. Hmm

Is he not a central defender?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ideal world scenario would not see a need to change the manager which was the catalyst for the delays this summer in additional signings.

Van Gaal wants to look at his players, that could well include a wish to see them in a competitive game (or two) to see what he needs before the window shuts.

He can make a more informed decision before it opens in January and same for next summer for other signings.

It's not ideal but not unreasonable either (imo) to take a little time to come to a conclusion on what he needs/wants from this window.

The fixtures, no Europe would be factors in why he thinks he can or should take this approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Van Gaal wants to look at his players, that could well include a wish to see them in a competitive game (or two) to see what he needs before the window shuts.

Ah, wondered when it would change to that. It began with "he needs to look at the players", now we have went past the pre-season games to "he needs to see the players in competitive games". I eagerly await "The players deserve a season under the new manager". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

G Neville thinks we are not going to win the league, nothing controversial there. Citee and Chelsea ahead of everybody else according to him, again he's probably right.

He does think United might have the best pool of strikers in the premier league.

Are Rooney, RVP, Chico and Welbz better than Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo and Jovetic?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/332189.html

• Antibac wrote: »
    Is he not a central defender?
    He's a LB I think, not CB.

Looks like a move to get cover for Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ideal world scenario would not see a need to change the manager which was the catalyst for the delays this summer in additional signings.

He can make a more informed decision before it opens in January and same for next summer for other signings.

It's not ideal but not unreasonable either (imo) to take a little time to come to a conclusion on what he needs/wants from this window.

The fixtures, no Europe would be factors in why he thinks he can or should take this approach.

good points and in fairness some sensible talk...sadly there is a "but" coming

we desperate to get 2 top class players if we want to keep pace for the season. with no Europe its not as huge and we dont need dramatics, but we need to buy a top class CB and CM and to keep pace for race for top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, with the official stream, does anyone know if it works on iPads and thus also on Airplay?

Would love to get it on my TV tonight rather than my laptop. Anyone use an AppleTV with the other games?

If your laptop and TV both have HDMI connections you could simply use your TV as the screen.

good points and in fairness some sensible talk...sadly there is a "but" coming

we desperate to get 2 top class players if we want to keep pace for the season. with no Europe its not as huge and we dont need dramatics, but we need to buy a top class CB and CM and to keep pace for race for top 4

I don't disagree, I am trying to reason out what Van Gaal might be thinking rather than what I think is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Seriously? Rio, Evra, Macheda, Vidic, Bebe already gone. The other players who are going were only told when they got back from the US. You can't just get rid of players under contract. Someone has to want to sign them.

Fair point but I was referring to the midfield. It was a given that Rio, Vidic etc would go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lads relax, van gaal knows what he is doing more than any poster on here. he said he needed 2-3 weeks to access his current squad. 3 weeks is now, so things should move hopefully in the next week or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

The lads training before tonights game. http://on.fb.me/1sMzKG6

OHH BACK TO JANUZAJJJ:pac:

Ah, wondered when it would change to that. It began with "he needs to look at theeplayers", now we have went past the pre-season games to "he needs to see the players in competitive games". I eagerly await "The players deserve a season under the new manager". :D

It hasn't changed at all. I didn't say Van Gaal needed anything.

I mentioned something I think he COULD want. Nothing about what he needs or should need but what he may want. If he wants to see the players like he said then it would make sense for him to do things like watch them in a competitive game.

Please don't try to make my posts to be something they are not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It hasn't changed at all. I didn't say Van Gaal needed anything.

I mentioned something I think he COULD want. Nothing about what he needs or should need but what he may want. If he wants to see the players like he said then it would make sense for him to do things like watch them in a competitive game.

Please don't try to make my posts to be something they are not

No point removing unnecessary personal comments to be honest, this thread is one long list of personal comments against those perceived to be "moaners".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

With two discliplined wing backs who can get back to defend exactly as LB/RBs do, are we overlooking the fact that we are replacing Ferdinand and Vidic in the team with THREE central defenders?

We are also overlooking the fact that Herrera is a player who is delighted to throw himself around in front of that defense, and Fletcher can certainly do a similar job. Thy will provide very solid protection when we do not have the ball.

We are also forgetting that we conceded 4 goals on tour against Roma, Real, Inter, Liverpool and LA Galaxy. Three of them were penalties. Smalling, Evans and Jones will have had another few weeks to learn what is expected of them and to fuction better as a unit. Are they going to make a few mistakes? Undoubtedly. Are they better than Ferdinand and Vidic when they play together. No.

However, all this allows Van Persie, Rooney and Mata play in their favoured positions. If we do concede, we have an attacking unit that could easily put a team to the sword.

But Van Gaal seems to be trying to make a team that is far superior to the sum of it's individual parts. Just like his Dutch team.

I think that recent article that we are facing a molehill and not a mountain hits the nail on the head.

We were utterly dejected last year. A group of players who were shackled into playing a style that went against much of what they had been used to under SAF. I said it a number of times in match threads last year that players were going against their natural attacking talent because they were being told to play the Moyes way. A team that was set up to counter the opponents threat rather than going for the opponents weaknesses.

What happens when you give a dog some extra lead? They relish it. They savour it and they run fcuking riot.

No Phil Jagielka tutorials. No 83 crosses. No climatic celebrations as we draw at OT vs Fulham. No dreading the trips to City and Liverpool and Chelsea.

Get at a team, go for the throat. Concede. Score three. Win.

They say you don't miss something until it's gone. Last year, we lost Manchester United.

Welcome back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's a LB I think, not CB.

Looks like a move to get cover for Shaw

No he is a central defender he only played at Lb in the WC.

No point removing unnecessary personal comments to be honest, this thread is one long list of personal comments against those perceived to be "moaners".

Don't want to make a big deal of it since I removed it (saying your reply was the usual ****e, sorry I should not have said that ) but I don't mind or care if you want to put forward ideas that are critical.

I just don't like my posts being made out to be something they are not which is why I rephrased the comment to be clear and more respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

That is quite a convoluted play they are rehearsing there, 6-7 passes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

FutureGuy wrote: »

They say you don't miss something until it's gone. Last year, we lost Manchester United.

Welcome back...

41296_f17ff7c5ef2b35e22d4df1d255bdf97bacd5fce6feffa4a0aeafe1cff9e2e39f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

OHH BACK TO JANUZAJJJ:pac:

That's another cause for optimism... we've already seen the benefits of those passing drills on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

It's been confirmed by Cuadrado's club that he wants to leave, by all accounts it's between us and Barca for him. I'll be sickened if they get him over us as he'd be a perfect fit for Van Gaal's system as the RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Montroseee wrote: »
    It's been confirmed by Cuadrado's club that he wants to leave, by all accounts it's between us and Barca for him. I'll be sickened if they get him over us as he'd be a perfect fit for Van Gaal's system as the RWB.

is he that much of an upgrade on Valencia? in theory Valencia is a perfect fit for LVGs system too, but very few would want him near the team if they could chose.

ive only seen him play during the world cup and he was decent, without setting the world alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Montroseee wrote: »

Cadena SER said yesterday that Barca aren't interested this summer.

EDIT: Although if they're just repeating a club response then its no different to Utd denying interest.

I thought Rojo was a pretty poor player from what I saw at the World Cup but christ I had forgotten about this.

Can't even clear a ball with his weak foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

FutureGuy wrote: »
    With two discliplined wing backs who can get back to defend exactly as LB/RBs do, are we overlooking the fact that we are replacing Ferdinand and Vidic in the team with THREE central defenders?

We are also overlooking the fact that Herrera is a player who is delighted to throw himself around in front of that defense, and Fletcher can certainly do a similar job. Thy will provide very solid protection when we do not have the ball.

We are also forgetting that we conceded 4 goals on tour against Roma, Real, Inter, Liverpool and LA Galaxy. Three of them were penalties. Smalling, Evans and Jones will have had another few weeks to learn what is expected of them and to fuction better as a unit. Are they going to make a few mistakes? Undoubtedly. Are they better than Ferdinand and Vidic when they play together. No.

However, all this allows Van Persie, Rooney and Mata play in their favoured positions. If we do concede, we have an attacking unit that could easily put a team to the sword.

But Van Gaal seems to be trying to make a team that is far superior to the sum of it's individual parts. Just like his Dutch team.

I think that recent article that we are facing a molehill and not a mountain hits the nail on the head.

We were utterly dejected last year. A group of players who were shackled into playing a style that went against much of what they had been used to under SAF. I said it a number of times in match threads last year that players were going against their natural attacking talent because they were being told to play the Moyes way. A team that was set up to counter the opponents threat rather than going for the opponents weaknesses.

What happens when you give a dog some extra lead? They relish it. They savour it and they run fcuking riot.

No Phil Jagielka tutorials. No 83 crosses. No climatic celebrations as we draw at OT vs Fulham. No dreading the trips to City and Liverpool and Chelsea.

Welcome back...

vKfdFNF.gif

PRAISE DA LAAAWD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Didn't think much of him at the World Cup either, prob isn't true anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bu17YeDIcAEb388.png:large

xtal191 wrote: »

I wouldn't be confident it isn't true. Portuguese papers saying theres a bid on the table and Rojo refused to train today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

is he that much of an upgrade on Valencia?

He is a huge upgrade on Valencia, given Valencia's form has been very poor since 2011/2012.

Skillful, fast, powerful, a legitimate goal threat, defensively aware, runs at defenders instead of passing responsibility, has an understanding that he has a left foot, can cross a ball rather than drilling it aimlessly.

I'd love him to join United, but the priority has to be CB and CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

xtal191 wrote: »

It actually looks like Rojo will be our next signing. A lot of major portuguese newspapers are saying its as good as done.

Plus sporting have bought 5 defenders and he is on a high salary and they only own 25% of the player. That plus a lot of WC hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thought Rojo was very poor at the World Cup but if Van Gaal thinks he can make something of him then I'm all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Thomo doesn't see us in the top four :-(

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12931/9418231/phil-thompsons-premier-league-predictions-201415

Phil: Chelsea and Man City will be joined by Liverpool and Arsenal. I see massive improvement in Manchester United but at this moment, because they haven’t strengthened defensively, I couldn’t yet say that they’ll gate-crash the top four. It’ll be easier without European competition (you saw Liverpool last season) but defensively Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling showed their susceptibility last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be confident it isn't true. Portuguese papers saying theres a bid on the table and Rojo refused to train today.

He could just be their new Garay, they loved their 'United sign Garay' headlines, for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

is he that much of an upgrade on Valencia? in theory Valencia is a perfect fit for LVGs system too, but very few would want him near the team if they could chose.

ive only seen him play during the world cup and he was decent, without setting the world alight.

He's a significant upgrade on Valencia IMO, potent attacking threat and very solid defensively too. I don't know where this talk of 30+ million pounds is coming from because that's a ridiculous fee, if he didn't have a couple of good games in the WC it'd be less than half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

twam2008 wrote: »
    Thomo doesn't see us in the top four :-(

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12931/9418231/phil-thompsons-premier-league-predictions-201415

Phil: Chelsea and Man City will be joined by Liverpool and Arsenal. I see massive improvement in Manchester United but at this moment, because they haven’t strengthened defensively, I couldn’t yet say that they’ll gate-crash the top four. It’ll be easier without European competition (you saw Liverpool last season) but defensively Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling showed their susceptibility last season.

This is fantastic news, since he backed United to win the league this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

never heard of anything about Cuadrado before the world cup, never seen him play ever as I would guess a lot of people here haven't either?

another karel poborsky!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cuadrado for huge money reprsents very little value from what i have seen of him. Rafael as first choice with valencia and young as cover options would be my choice unless the fee is a good bit lower then what it is being reported as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rojo is a red!
    Rojo in English is red

Thought Rojo was very poor at the World Cup but if Van Gaal thinks he can make something of him then I'm all for it

He was playing out of position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

I thought Rojo was a pretty poor player from what I saw at the World Cup but christ I had forgotten about this.

Can't even clear a ball with his weak foot.

In fairness most left footed players seem to have a pretty weak right foot more so than right footed players and their left foot, if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

geeksauce wrote: »
    In fairness most left footed players seem to have a pretty weak right foot more so than right footed players and their left foot, if you know what I mean.

That's pure mental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This is now doing the rounds on Twitter....

Bu2CEsrCcAAk6nv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I called it last season TSC, I'M OFFICIALLY IN THE KNOWS LADS, WAHEEEEYYYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Bu2CEsrCcAAk6nv.jpg

Imagine it's the first time ever that another name has graced that number on a United shirt, since Giggs predates names on shirts....that's mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Januzaj deserves it and hopefully another legend in the #11 shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bu2CEsrCcAAk6nv.jpg

Saw a kid yesterday, about 11 I'd say, wearing the new jersey with Januzaj 44 on the back.

cryinghandrub.gif

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He was playing out of position.

A Portugal based journo I follow reckons hes a better lb than cb which says a lot.

A Portugal based journo I follow reckons hes a better lb than cb which says a lot.
    Lisbon fan reckon he's a world class centre back.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/29kf92/liverpool_lead_the_race_to_sign_left_back_marcos/cilqxk9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

ericzeking wrote: »
    Imagine it's the first time ever that another name has graced that number on a United shirt, since Giggs predates names on shirts....that's mad

That's actually quality!

Great news for Januzaj. Hopefully it serves as a good inspiration.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Ya sure if he signs we'll see if he can make the step up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement