Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Is the game Saturday on BT Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Macca07 wrote: »
    Is the game Saturday on BT Sports?

AFAIK it is. That's why I'm not in work anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

TheTownie wrote: »
    A Portugal based journo I follow reckons hes a better lb than cb which says a lot.

Tbf we need both, more of a back up at lb granted but it makes the player numbers better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rojo story kicked off when he followed United and a couple of players on instagram so not sure what to make of the stories.

As others I only know him from the world cup and he came across as a bit of a header so I liked him :p

Lots of links to Zaha heading back to palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-And-Results.aspx

Yup game is on BT. Off to the pub I go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Lots of links to Zaha heading back to palace.

On loan or sale?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As well as Januzaj getting 11, apparently "Shaw 3" will also be available at the game tonight.

Nothing on a #7 though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Januzaj deserves it and hopefully another legend in the #11 shirt.

Does that mean we are not signing an 11? LVGWard out.

All jokes aside, am delighted for him. A great move by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As well as Januzaj getting 11, apparently "Shaw 3" will also be available at the game tonight.

Nothing on a #7 though.

5 and 9 still empty also, but Herrera needs a jersey unless they leave him at 21.

5 and 9 still empty also, but Herrera needs a jersey unless they leave him at 21.

Rooney or RVP to 9? Mata to 10, Herrera to 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

FutureGuy wrote: »
    With two discliplined wing backs who can get back to defend exactly as LB/RBs do, are we overlooking the fact that we are replacing Ferdinand and Vidic in the team with THREE central defenders?

We are also overlooking the fact that Herrera is a player who is delighted to throw himself around in front of that defense, and Fletcher can certainly do a similar job. Thy will provide very solid protection when we do not have the ball.

We are also forgetting that we conceded 4 goals on tour against Roma, Real, Inter, Liverpool and LA Galaxy. Three of them were penalties. Smalling, Evans and Jones will have had another few weeks to learn what is expected of them and to fuction better as a unit. Are they going to make a few mistakes? Undoubtedly. Are they better than Ferdinand and Vidic when they play together. No.

However, all this allows Van Persie, Rooney and Mata play in their favoured positions. If we do concede, we have an attacking unit that could easily put a team to the sword.

But Van Gaal seems to be trying to make a team that is far superior to the sum of it's individual parts. Just like his Dutch team.

I think that recent article that we are facing a molehill and not a mountain hits the nail on the head.

We were utterly dejected last year. A group of players who were shackled into playing a style that went against much of what they had been used to under SAF. I said it a number of times in match threads last year that players were going against their natural attacking talent because they were being told to play the Moyes way. A team that was set up to counter the opponents threat rather than going for the opponents weaknesses.

What happens when you give a dog some extra lead? They relish it. They savour it and they run fcuking riot.

No Phil Jagielka tutorials. No 83 crosses. No climatic celebrations as we draw at OT vs Fulham. No dreading the trips to City and Liverpool and Chelsea.

Get at a team, go for the throat. Concede. Score three. Win.

They say you don't miss something until it's gone. Last year, we lost Manchester United.

Welcome back...

81 crosses.

Never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I would be sick if Januzaj didn't get the 11 shirt.

Still no number 9 or 7?

Vidal will get 7 if he joins i'd say.

Give 9 to Wilson. :)

That seems to be the talk going round right now.
    MagicIRL wrote: »

The picture with Januzaj 11 also has RVP 20, so don't think he'll be moving. May keep Mata at the same too so people who ordered jerseys in the last 8 months don't feel cheated (RVP said that's why he was staying at 20 last summer...).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

On loan or sale?

Loan and then a sale suggested by the mirror anyway. But it's the Mirror so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think Rooney may have something to say about that!
    Herrera needs a jersey unless they leave him at 21.

I think 21 is the number he wore at Bilbao / Zaragoza

Rooney's only keeping Wilson's place in the team warm for him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Do people think Januzaj will play a lot this season i kind of only see him as backup to mata, rooney rvp in this 352 formation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

What time is kick off tonight? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

What time is kick off tonight? Thanks.

7:30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Apparently LVG asked RVP to wear 9 and he turned it down, much like he did last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not the player transfers I was hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

sky88 wrote: »
    Do people think Januzaj will play a lot this season i kind of only see him as backup to mata, rooney rvp in this 352 formation

Would be an awful shame to see that talent wasted on the bench week in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney's only keeping Wilson's place in the team warm for him ;)

Wilson will hopefully come good but it won't be Rooney's place he will be taking.

Have only seen a handful of games from Wilson do people think he is ready for a loan. It's a fine line at 18 at how things go it's a big season for him. Does he benefit more from staying in the reserves, training with the first team and bulking up. Or would going on loan and playing regularly be best for him now it's a big decision.

I would keep Wilson at United and play him between the U21, League Cup and possibly the FA Cup depending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't think Januzaj will play more than 20 games this season in the league, maybe around 15 when you look at the formation we are using

I will definitely buy another jersey with Vidal 7 if it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Wilson will hopefully come good but it won't be Rooney's place he will be taking.

Have only seen a handful of games from Wilson do people think he is ready for a loan. It's a fine line at 18 at how things go it's a big season for him. Does he benefit more from staying in the reserves, training with the first team and bulking up. Or would going on loan and playing regularly be best for him now it's a big decision.

It depends on the loan deal I suppose. Seems to me like a tough balance to strike, if he goes on loan to a PL team he may not get many starts.

If he goes on loan to a lower league team he's not training or playing with top quality players.

If he stays at United and trains with the first team he'll get great training but will struggle to get games. Difficult call.

Finding the right thing to do with young players is very tough and very important. Van Gaal has a proven track record of bringing through young talent which is something i think is very important.

Wilson, Lingard, Janjuaz, Zaha, Keane and Powell i really have high hopes for over the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

What happened with Rossi should be a cautionary tale when it comes to leaning out some of our best young talent. Always think they're far better being nurtured at OT and given some game time with United rather than go elsewhere where your not in charge of what they're doing.

Rojo hands in transfer request and tells club he wants to join Man United.

According to Sky Sports News HQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well holy Rojo can you believe that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I payed for the live steam on United Live but it still says buy now. Does that change at half 6 or did something go wrong? Last time I just bought it when the game was about to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I thought Rojo was decent in the WC, would definitely be happy signing him. Certainly played with a lot of heart and still quite young.

Even Woodward can't mess that up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not going to even begin to pretend I know anything about this Rojo chap or had even heard of him prior to today. I hope he's decent.

• So the rojo deal looks on?? I'm not convinced if he's good enough hmm.

Although I only know him from this years WC

What age is he??

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I payed for the live steam on United Live but it still says buy now. Does that change at half 6 or did something go wrong? Last time I just bought it when the game was about to start.

Did you sign in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Pray for mojo rojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the rojo deal looks on?? I'm not convinced if he's good enough hmm

What age is he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Did you sign in?

Yeah the Real match is still there for me and I can watch that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Not going to even begin to pretend I know anything about this Rojo chap or had even heard of him prior to today. I hope he's decent.

Very lazy, at least have a go at it!

I know nothing about Rojo but he is everything we need and if we don't sign him we are a disgrace! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

It's at the stage any defender will be a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Even Woodward can't mess that up :pac:

Utd apparently offered €12M up front with €8M add-ons but Sporting only own 25% so they might hold out for more up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All fun and games till we realise we paid 35 million for him or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

TheTownie wrote: »
    Utd apparently offered €12M up front with €8M add-ons but Sporting only own 25% so they might hold out for more up front.

So he’ll end up costing €48M plus €32M in add ons by the time the deal collapses due to “disagreements over the players valuation”:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

53e9eea3ed00b_451212178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rojo will be a good signing in my opinion and will cost about €20 million.

From the Independent.co.uk in the build up to the world cup final:
    Marcos Rojo
    In an Argentina team rather short on pace and width, powerful young left-back Marcos Rojo has provided both. Operating up and down the left-flank, Rojo has tried to replicate what the far more familiar Pablo Zabaleta gives them on the opposite side, and has often been let down by the lack of bodies in the opposition’s box. Rojo started off at Estudiantes and, as is increasingly common, was picked up by an eastern European club – Spartak Moscow. After one year there he joined Sporting Lisbon, and at 24 must be a likely target for one of Europe’s elite clubs.

There they have him a left back and yes he did play as a left back, his main position is central defense, but he offers versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Coat22 wrote: »
    So he’ll end up costing €48M plus €32M in add ons by the time the deal collapses due to “disagreements over the players valuation”:cool:

Nope we pay the rest when we buy Carvalho for 35 million, So Bangkok informs me.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the rojo deal looks on?? I'm not convinced if he's good enough hmm.

Although I only know him from this years WC

What age is he??

A few minutes ago you thought he was a lb and never seen him at cb but your not convinced he is good enough. You have never seen him play a game at cb so i am not sure how you can be convinced he is not good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement