Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

At this stage the possibility of Rojo and remote possibility of Vidal with Shaw and Herrera would have to be classed as a good Summer if it all comes together.

IF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Anyone heard anything on new additions to the coaching staff? Phil Neville (BBC) and Paul Scholes (ITV & BT Sport) have either left or been ditched so has LVG already appointed enough backroom staff or are there positions to fill? It's unlikely but a return for Rene Meulensteen to fill Neville's role perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Don't know much about Rojo but have faith in LVG's judgement. One step in the right direction if this one comes off, thankfully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I believe it's a done deal simply because I haven't heard a stitch about it until now.

Can't wait to hear the inevitable excuses from the ITKs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So this Rojo lad, it's come out of the blue like Herrera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What happened with Rossi should be a cautionary tale when it comes to leaning out some of our best young talent. Always think they're far better being nurtured at OT and given some game time with United rather than go elsewhere where your not in charge of what they're doing.

Have to say always wonder why we farm our players out to lower standards.

we have such a great youth system and setup as the club would have you believe, should we not insist on players going to either Premier league clubs, or top division sides arounds europe.

I can only assume being part of a first team setup regularly "anywhere" is actually better developement then keeping them at the club working with our coaches.

Which raises the questions do we only concern ourselves with players who have outragously obvious talent, and that we arn't too bothered working with our youth players once they reach 17,18,19. They either have clear unique quality attributes, or they are going elsewhere.

I get the sense big clubs send players out on loan in the hope they just magically turn into superstars.

It's such a weird system.

• Nuts102 wrote: »
    A few minutes ago you thought he was a lb and never seen him at cb but your not convinced he is good enough. You have never seen him play a game at cb so i am not sure how you can be convinced he is not good enough.

Yes and that's why I stated thereafter I only watched him in the WC. I know **** all about so I stand corrected. An opinion on what he's like would be nice. No need to get your panties in a twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to say always wonder why we farm our players out to lower standards.

we have such a great youth system and setup as the club would have you believe, should we not insist on players going to either Premier league clubs, or top division sides arounds europe.

I can only assume being part of a first team setup regularly "anywhere" is actually better developement then keeping them at the club working with our coaches.

Which raises the questions do we only concern ourselves with players who have outragously obvious talent, and that we arn't too bothered working with our youth players once they reach 17,18,19. They either have clear unique quality attributes, or they are going elsewhere.

I get the sense big clubs send players out on loan in the hope they just magically turn into superstars.

It's such a weird system.

Big clubs send out players on loan because first team football is what helps players develop. It's hard for young players to get games at big clubs unless they are a special talent at a very young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Sporting fans rate him very highly as a CB, Few complaints about his discipline though saying he'll be brilliant for a while then go and do something stupid or get sent off then go back to been brilliant and so on, From the world cup he seemed like a fairly aggressive and tough player while playing at LB, i thought he'd a good tournament overall, At the price there saying you'd have to be happier than if we'd signed Vermalen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Finding the right thing to do with young players is very tough and very important. Van Gaal has a proven track record of bringing through young talent which is something i think is very important.

Wilson, Lingard, Janjuaz, Zaha, Keane and Powell i really have high hopes for over the next year or two.

Wilson looks like a lad who is still growing physically and would probably be better off at Carrington. I think he needed help/encouragement off the field as well last season from Giggs, lordgoat or Mitch may have mentioned it

You are right, its different needs for different players though.

• Advertisement

If this Rojo deal get's done in a day or two out of the blue it will delight me. Not because he is world class, but it proves the press know nothing about our dealings. It would also give me belief we will bring in a few more signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Big clubs send out players on loan because first team football is what helps players develop. It's hard for young players to get games at big clubs unless they are a special talent at a very young age.

Issue here is though that if they are an exceptional talent then they will be close to the first team squad anyways.

Rarely if ever do young players who are not exceptional go on loan, get significantly better and come back into a top four side.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes and that's why I stated thereafter I only watched him in the WC. I know **** all about so I stand corrected. An opinion on what he's like would be nice. No need to get your panties in a twist.

Ye my bad been one of those days i know little about him myself. The news of a player close to signing should have me in good humor.

If this Rojo deal get's done in a day or two out of the blue it will delight me. Not because he is world class, but it proves the press know nothing about our dealings. It would also give me belief we will bring in a few more signings.

And the ITK's on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Any chance of sending Anderson back to Portugal as part of the deal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd be happy to see us sign Marcos Rojo. We badly need a CB, he's a good age, left footed, can cover at LB/LWB, very aggressive. He reminds me a bit of Gabriel Heinze.

I think he's a better option than an injury prone 29 year old, Vermaelen.

• Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ye my bad been one of those days i know little about him myself. The news of a player close to signing should have me in good humor.

No worries :)
    I really do love the under the radar dealings.
    Let's hope di maria or Vidal get done like this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I can't believe there are people on here saying he was poor in the WC, don't see how you could come to that conclusion based on his performances.

Issue here is though that if they are an exceptional talent then they will be close to the first team squad anyways.

Rarely if ever do young players who are not exceptional go on loan, get significantly better and come back into a top four side.

Yes of course it is tough. At United i can only think of Wellbeck and Evans who have gone on loan, done well and be involved in the first team.

Then you look at the likes of Jones at 17 looked a superstar and should have gone on loan. If he had got a good loan he would be a big player for United by now imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes of course it is tough. At United i can only think of Wellbeck and Evans who have gone on loan, done well and be involved in the first team..

Cleverley.

• Advertisement

No worries :)
    I really do love the under the radar dealings.
    Let's hope di maria or Vidal get done like this too.

Where just signing Rojo to help fellow South Americans settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So if this goes through, of the 3 signings made, 2 have given up Champions League football to join United and depending on who you believe, the other chose United over a team with Champions League football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can anyone point me to where this news is coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Where have the local doom mongers gone ?

If Rojo goes through it proves papers don't have a clue about what's going on inside the club and who our targets are, by extension us fans don't have a clue.

In LVG we trust !

• MagicIRL wrote: »

SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

beno619 wrote: »
    If Rojo goes through it proves papers don't have a clue about what's going on inside the club and who our targets are, by extension us fans don't have a clue.

I'd have thought that the papers being filled with bullsh*t stories all summer that never come to fruition already proves this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It will be interesting if we sign him but I'm not over the moon about it (not necessarily down on it either). It helps that he can play at LB or CB, but I honestly have not seen much of him at CB and was quite unimpressed by him at LB during the WC. He wasn't awful or anything, solid enough defensively and I guess it makes sense as he was a CB playing FB, but particularly going forward he was very uninspiring for my mind.

I would prefer Blind, a CB and a CM while clearing out some guys like Anderson Young and Fellaini, but if Blind meant the end of our CM work I guess this option might be favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Rojo would be a very useful addition to the team. Decent cover for LB and CB. Lets hope the deal gets pushed through quickly so we can move on to getting that other CM.

Herrera, New CM, Shaw, Rojo - that would have us in a good position heading into the new season. If the other CM turned out to be Vidal it would be a great transfer window.

Fingers crossed we get our business done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

"Far from Rojo's biggest fan. As I said, not good enough for a top club, in my opinion, neither as a left-back or centre-back."

"Marcos Rojo is far better(or less of a risk) as a full-back than centre-back. He don't seem to understand how to mark or position himself."

From a Portuguese football journalist Jan Hagen who watched a lot of him

In LVG we trust then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

MagicIRL wrote: »
    SSN

Hoping the ''Sky Sources'' isn't just the Daily Express article that was written saying the same thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Clearly Ed is getting his Rojo back.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I believe it's a done deal simply because I haven't heard a stitch about it until now.

Can't wait to hear the inevitable excuses from the ITKs :pac:

???? its been discussed here a good few times for the past 2 or 3 days and we were linked with him last week in a few places.

more than likely our interest in him only became real when our Hummels, then Vermaelen interest ended, so it would tie into it being a very recent thing for us, which is unusual - normally takes months for us to sign somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri · 8m

Manchester United have bid a figure between 45-48m€ for Vidal. Juventus have replied they want also 2 players, 1 of the two is Chicharito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Manchester United have bid a figure between 45-48m€ for Vidal. Juventus have replied they want also 2 players, 1 of the two is Chicharito

Tell them if they take Anderson we'll up the figure to €100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

haha
    Alistair Binney ‏@Alistair_Binney 4m
    A tweet from @tancredipalmeri that #mufc have bid for Vidal and they want 2 United players = Twitter explodes

• Advertisement

• Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri · 8m

Give him up and get Vidal. We have enough strength in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cant say I know too much about him, but Liverpool and Chelsea were both linked with him I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Tancredi is some chancer. And people always believe him too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tancredi palmeri is the worst "ITK" out there.
    Rojo would be a top signing for you lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Get your filty hands off chico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

We've already given them Pogba and Evra, give us one back t'fúck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If Juve theoretically said we want 45million and Chicha and Nani I would be ok with it. I would want some serious medical assessment done on Vidal though to be as sure as possible he is not going to be a long term casualty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

With all the talk about potential transfers, all I'm looking forward to right now is the unbelievable impact Herrera is going to have this year. I know pre-season can be somewhat of a mis-nomer but he was fcuking class. Cannot wait for Sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I want to Vidal signed as much as anyone, but if they want Nani, Chicharito and 48 million, Ed should just fax back a picture of his schlong.

Presumably Palmeri is talking non-sense as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Would people be happy with a deal of ~£30 million plus Chico and say Nani (Or whoever they have in mind) for Vidal?

PS I know it's a BS tweet.

I love Nani and i love Hernandez but it doesn't look like either will be first choice and Juve seem to want both. If they help us sign Vidal i would be happy to do the deal but not get robbed.

€20 million plus those both should be more than enough.

• Headshot wrote: »
    Get your filty hands off chico

He's gone. He's only going to get a place on the bench this season so why would he stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

???? its been discussed here a good few times for the past 2 or 3 days and we were linked with him last week in a few places.

more than likely our interest in him only became real when our Hummels, then Vermaelen interest ended, so it would tie into it being a very recent thing for us, which is unusual - normally takes months for us to sign somebody.

The only reason he was linked last week is because he conspicuously followed United and some players on his Instagram (or possibly some other social media thing) as far as I know, unless some journalist was claiming there was going to be a deal before that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

So if this goes through, of the 3 signings made, 2 have given up Champions League football to join United and depending on who you believe, the other chose United over a team with Champions League football...

errm, one left Southampton and the other turned down Southampton....lets not get carried away here just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

United Report ‏@UtdReport 30s
    BBC confirms: Manchester United have made a €20m (£15.9m) bid for Marcos Rojo. [via http://bbc.com/sport ]

RojON

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement