Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

BBC and Guardian reporting on Rojo to United now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'd have thought that the papers being filled with bullsh*t stories all summer that never come to fruition already proves this.

So would I but then again the doom mongers have been moaning about failed moves for Kroos, Fabregas, Hummels and potentially Vidal based on stories in the paper. Nobody knew if the players were targets or if bids were actually made ect. People still got their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If Rojo signs (or anyone) by sunday, Im out of here for til the end of the window. I hope it goes through. :)

RojON

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As long as Vidal's knee is 100% I wouldn't care about paying €45 million plus Chico and Nani

It may seem excessive but paying for a chunk of his wages by offloading two players who won't be starting or even second choice is not too bad, Nani and Chico going would free up about 170k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Things are heating up. I foresee a flurry of activity in the market over the next week.

Get it done woody, I have faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Ahhhhhh, it's always so relaxing when the BBC report something, no more debate over being in or not for someone.

relaxed-cat_c_2224485.webp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I really think Candreva would be wasted in a 3-5-2, he's not the most defensively minded and is at his most effective when playing fairly high up the pitch.

Rojo would make a good deal of sense though. I haven't seen him outside of the World Cup, but he's a good prospect and his versatility would fill a couple of gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Blatter wrote: »
    BBC and Guardian reporting on Rojo to United now too.

Would have to think it's as good as done then. Has anyone ever handed in a transfer request and then not moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

As long as Vidal's knee is 100% I wouldn't care about paying €45 million plus Chico and Nani

It may seem excessive but paying for a chunk of his wages by offloading two players who won't be starting or even second choice is not too bad, Nani and Chick going would free up about 170k a week

Chico and Nani would have a combined value of 25 million making Vidal 70+ million which is ridiculous. 50 million in cash/players should be more than enough to get Vidal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/28624989

Sporting Lisbon defender Marcos Rojo has handed in a transfer request and told his club he wants to be allowed to join Manchester United.
    United have submitted a 20m euro bid for the 24-year-old.
    Sporting are still considering the offer but Rojo has informed the Portuguese side he will no longer train with them until the situation is resolved to his satisfaction.
    United manager Louis van Gaal has been looking for a central defender following the summer departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Would people be happy with a deal of ~£30 million plus Chico and say Nani (Or whoever they have in mind) for Vidal?

PS I know it's a BS tweet.

No way that would put Vidal value at 55m pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    The only reason he was linked last week is because he conspicuously followed United and some players on his Instagram (or possibly some other social media thing) as far as I know, unless some journalist was claiming there was going to be a deal before that?

there was reports we were scouting him as far back as 12 months ago,
    Manchester United have sent scouts to attend Sporting Lisbon's game against newly-promoted Arouca

The only player who stands out is Marcos Rojo, a man who has been hailed as the solution to Argentina's left-back problem. He currently has 17 caps at the age of just 23, and looks like he could be a real star for the future. It's also a position that United are known to be looking for an upgrade in, with Patrice Evra in advanced years and Alexander Buttner not exactly impressing (with rumours of a loan to Besiktas circling.)

the express has the story last week as well as other papers linking us to him back as far as May. Liverpool were supposidly the front runners to sign him, since March with us, Southampton and Chelsea also in the running.

the instagram thing came 3 days ago, 2 days AFTER the express story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

No problem with Hernandez leaving, he deserves to be starting for a team but it wont be at Utd. Also if he leaves it will mean more game time for Wilson! As for Nani I just dont see him fitting in to Van Gaals plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I really think Candreva would be wasted in a 3-5-2, he's not the most defensively minded and is at his most effective when playing fairly high up the pitch.

Rojo would make a good deal of sense though. I haven't seen him outside of the World Cup, but he's a good prospect and his versatility would fill a couple of gaps.

Cuadrado?

• Advertisement

Montroseee wrote: »
    Chico and Nani would have a combined value of 25 million making Vidal 70+ million which is ridiculous. 50 million in cash/players should be more than enough to get Vidal.

£55 million for one of the best midfielders in the world isn't too bad

Also freeing up 170k in wages, we'll probably give Vidal 200k a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would have to think it's as good as done then. Has anyone ever handed in a transfer request and then not moved?

Not very often, especially when it's from a club like Lisbon to United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

there was reports we were scouting him as far back as 12 months ago,

the express has the story last week as well as other papers linking us to him back as far as May. Liverpool were supposidly the front runners to sign him, since March with us, Southampton and Chelsea also in the running.

That's not very convincing with regard to journos knowing a deal was imminent this week to me, a decent bit of 2+2ing from whoever decided he was the only player watchable at a Sporting game though tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Did Benteke do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Peter Odemwingie not only handed in a transfer request but turned up at QPR, thinking a deal had been reached, only to be barred from entering! :pac:

• Advertisement

Did Benteke do it?

Wayne freaking Rooney :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Seems LVG is set on signing a left footed centre half who can play at Lb if needed.

Would we prefer Rojo or Blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Why not both.

Both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

beno619 wrote: »
    No way that would put Vidal value at 55m pounds.

Thats not exactly unbelievable in this day and age you know. Suarez fee? Luiz? Shaw? Herrera?

you are talking about one of the premier midfielders in Europe, at one of the top clubs, who would be of huge importance to our club.

A big price would have to be paid to get the deal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Both. Would cover injuries in a multitude of positions

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Why not both.

would mean we would have signed 3 players in one window, whose best position is left back and would have cost us €70m!

Blind would appear to be more versatile, but Rojo appears to be more used to CB than Blind so its really an impossible one to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri · 8m

Manchester United have bid a figure between 45-48m€ for Vidal. Juventus have replied they want also 2 players, 1 of the two is Chicharito
    If true, this is why it was stupid to let Evra go to them for next to nothing
    Montroseee wrote: »
    In a world where Lukaku goes for close to 30mn, James Rodriguez goes for 45mn before the WC and 70mn after, Gareth Bale and Suarez go for over 90mn, Cavan for about 64mn, 70mn for the best box to box midfielder in the world really isn't that ridiculous. High, but not ridiculous.

Speaking in Euros that is, which would be a shade over 55MN sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Blind

• Advertisement

would mean we would have signed 3 players in one window, whose best position is left back and would have cost us €70m!

Blind would appear to be more versatile, but Rojo appears to be more used to CB than Blind so its really an impossible one to call.

Why do you keep saying Blinds best position is left back, he plays cm for Ajax doesn't he (maybe i'm wrong)?

Have you watched him a lot in both positions to come to the conclusion he is a better left back?

Billy86 wrote: »

In a world where Lukaku goes for close to 30mn, James Rodriguez goes for 45mn before the WC and 70mn after, Gareth Bale and Suarez go for over 90mn, Cavan for about 64mn, 70mn for the best box to box midfielder in the world really isn't that ridiculous. High, but not ridiculous.

Was Lukaku's fee not in pounds? James too?

It's not crazy money, I'd be happier with £45-50 million altogether but we aren't going to turn down one of the best around and in a position we've struggled with for 5 or 6 years over 5 million, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I said we'd sign a CB (and a CM) AND I said Januzaj will be #11. LADS, I'M SO #ITK IT ****ING HURTS

ybrws.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Was Lukaku's fee not in pounds? James too?

It's not crazy money, I'd be happier with £45-50 million altogether but we aren't going to turn down one of the best around and in a position we've struggled with for 5 or 6 years over 5 million, hopefully.
    I just did a quick recheck on those two and yeah Lukaku wad 28mn pounds, so €35mn. Rodriguez one seems to have conflicting reports buy if in pounds it is saying 65, which would be about €81mn.

Definitely agree on the second part, more than I like but even with Herrera we still have need there and everyone knows it. We made fools of ourselves trying to not be exploited over that last summer, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and pay out (within reason). Still another reason I think it was stupid to not hold onto Evra as collateral though, at his age there wasn't a lot of value there but they had a need at LB which would have allowed us to inflate his value accordingly as they seem to be doing with Vidal.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Why do you keep saying Blinds best position is left back, he plays cm for Ajax doesn't he (maybe i'm wrong)?

Have you watched him a lot in both positions to come to the conclusion he is a better left back?

because it IS his best position though yes he does play there for the Ajax team at times.

ive only really properly see him play in midfield during the world cup and he was very average in there and much less influential than he was at LB/LWB, BUT i guess its hard to judge on just that.

i would think in terms of his versaltility its LB > CM > CB for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I said we'd sign a CB (and a CM) AND I said Januzaj will be #11. LADS, I'M SO #ITK IT ****ING HURTS

ybrws.gif

Tell us Ronaldo is coming back
    Tell us!!!!!

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats not exactly unbelievable in this day and age you know. Suarez fee? Luiz? Shaw? Herrera?

you are talking about one of the premier midfielders in Europe, at one of the top clubs, who would be of huge importance to our club.

A big price would have to be paid to get the deal done.

I think he's the wrong side of 25 tbh, Nani and Chica are expendable I guess.

The player plus cash deal would be better than having to stump up the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Strumms wrote: »
    Unlikely, not only for the reason that some of those targets are unavailable but the question was a hypothetical one as was my reply. Spending 130 million on top of what we have isn't such a fantasy it just depends on the will of the owners firstly and secondly if the manager feels he needs to which I'd say is unlikely certainly in the second case.

I posed it to see a response on the amount people would think we will spend. There isnt a hope in hell we are spending close to £200m this summer.

I really hope I am wrong though.

The tweet is probably bull anyway.

• Advertisement

Mike Keegan @mikekeeganbbc · 1m

#mufc staff were printing Januzaj 11 shirts but were later told to stop.

Shaw is number 3, Mata 8 & Rooney 10. Was told LvG asked RvP to take 9 but he stuck with 20. #mufc

DM-ICE wrote: »

Blind reminds me of Gareth Barry in a lot of ways

Blind reminds me of Gareth Barry in a lot of ways

I think Barry is very under rated, he had a marvelous season at the Toffees last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry if already posted on mobile here and can't really search :-)

Buttttttt is the Utd Game on TV ? What station ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Finding the right thing to do with young players is very tough and very important. Van Gaal has a proven track record of bringing through young talent which is something i think is very important.

Wilson, Lingard, Janjuaz, Zaha, Keane and Powell i really have high hopes for over the next year or two.

I have high hopes for Wilson out of the above and Michael Keane.

Zaha/Powell can be sold, not good enough imo.

Will Keane, I like him but don't think he's good enough, give him a season on loan in PL 0 the last one at QPR was stupid move on his behalf.

Jesse, is another play I really like, would have hoped he would have pushed on further, again a loan to a PL club and see how he goes.

The ones you forgot. Reece James/Tyler Blackett/Varela/Janko/Lawrence

First 2, will be kept and see how they do. The others if a good loan option came up, i'd be happy to see how they go. Maybe keep Varela as he's possibly good enough as cover.
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on new additions to the coaching staff? Phil Neville (BBC) and Paul Scholes (ITV & BT Sport) have either left or been ditched so has LVG already appointed enough backroom staff or are there positions to fill? It's unlikely but a return for Rene Meulensteen to fill Neville's role perhaps?

Rene to replace F##k off Phil? Noooo. Rene said months ago he's not going to be involved with LVG. All other positions are full from what I can tell.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    So this Rojo lad, it's come out of the blue like Herrera?
    Not particularly a few people have been saying he's leaving, particularly since he refused to play the friendly a couple of days ago, but he's been mooted to leave all summer. @Portuball (jan hagen)
    Billy86 wrote: »

Some price for Cavan.

lordgoat wrote: »

Some price for Cavan.

I assume its for the whole county itself and not just the GAA teams

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think Barry is very under rated, he had a marvelous season at the Toffees last season.

I think he was arguably the most important player they had. Very good number 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think he was arguably the most important player they had. Very good number 6

He was very good for the development of McCarthy too! Was very good business making the move permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Tell us Ronaldo is coming back
    Tell us!!!!!

Do it Magic
    FutureGuy can then deny it and we can all rejoice
    there'll be bewbs and gifs and drink flowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

beakerjoe wrote: »

ITK : We are signing Nora batty as the new tea lady ;) LVG likes her sassy personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I refuse to believe we've bid for anyone until people I trust confirm it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement