Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I refuse to believe we've bid for anyone until people I trust confirm it.

BBC are very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

errm, one left Southampton and the other turned down Southampton....lets not get carried away here just yet.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I refuse to believe we've bid for anyone until people I trust confirm it.

There is no one reliable any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am quite pleased with this signing myself. I watched all the Argies games in the World cup and hes a left footed central defender and he looked very decent. Hes a tall lad and is not afraid to put in the tackles. Now for Vidal and I would be delighted with out summer business:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Young, Fletcher, Herrera, James; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

brinty wrote: »
    There is no one reliable any more

The only thing that's changed is the people expect/want to know exactly what's happening.

For me, when I look back reading the sunday papers for transfer news and teletext were just as unreliable but less immediate than the internet.

Back then when you read a 'transfer' you took it with a pinch of salt and didn't believe anything until it was confirmed. This hasn't changed for me.

Now you can intereact directly on twitter with journos and glean information from interviews etc. Much more accessible than years ago.

Sure there was a sweet spot for twitter a few years back, but the world caught on and here we are.

Plenty of reliable stuff out there if people are bothered to look and read around rather than whinge about the dickheads that troll and put up lies and half truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I wouldn't exactly believe the papers that the deal for Rojo is done. If that was the case we would already have Hummels, Vermaelen, De Vrij, Cavani, Cuadrado, Strootman, Vidal and Di Maria all at Old Trafford tonight :P

De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Young, Fletcher, Herrera, James; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez

Gwan the Reece James!

United subs: Amos, M Keane, Cleverley, Fellaini, Kagawa, Lingard & Januzaj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

any streams ? .. PM me :D thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Van Gaal arrives at Old Trafford

Bu2trx6CAAAJngU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly believe the papers that the deal for Rojo is done. If that was the case we would already have Hummels, Vermaelen, De Vrij, Cavani, Cuadrado, Strootman, Vidal and Di Maria all at Old Trafford tonight :P

BBC reporting it as news on the main football page is pretty much fact. They stick all the newspaper stories/garbage in a separate "gossip" page.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No Evans or Shaw. Just precautionary I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Taylor's take on Vidal saga.

Daniel Taylor @DTguardian
    United have been trashing the Vidal link all summer. But there's too much noise. Something definitely going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seemingly Evans is injured.

Thank god for our awesome backups in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter wrote: »

United have been trashing the Vidal link all summer. But there's too much noise. Something definitely going on.

Not sure whether I credit that line of thinking or not, although it's the only reason I've been unable to commit to the position that it's 100% made up over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Blatter wrote: »

He's probably as reliable as they get for United yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Last Word said Rojo put in a transfer request. Sounds like its happening.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

About as reliable as Ogden and Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seemingly Evans is injured.

Thank god for our awesome backups in defence.

Finally a bit of positivity!

Didnt hurt did it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Madrid team just tracking across SSN....fock me! Kroos and Rodriguez start.

On the is Rojo/Blind a left back or centre back or whatever, I think its worth considering the 3 centre back positions as 3 separate in that the right and left sided ones would be kind of hybrid centre back/full back players...in that sense Smalling/jones is a good fit on the right while this Rojo lad appears made for the left, its not only a case of being left footed in my opinion.

On Rojo,this seems to be another case of a player/ club linking themself with Manchester United.

Who's to say he is coming to Old Trafford? I'm not saying he won't but there's no word coming out of the club at the moment so who's to say whats going on

And don't forget BBC are just looking for clicks on their webpage too and thats why its there??? Same as the tabloids etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

OctavarIan wrote: »
    BBC reporting it as news on the main football page is pretty much fact. They stick all the newspaper stories/garbage in a separate "gossip" page.

I could be wrong and have to check but did that story not say that he handed in a transfer request and that he wants to join Man United. I know many are reporting that the bid has been launched.

My point is I'm not taking anything as a done deal until it actually is done. Look at Remy and Liverpool that seemed like a done deal, anything can happen.

I'm just going to contain myself until an official statement is made by the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

On Rojo,this seems to be another case of a player/ club linking themself with Manchester United.

Who's to say he is coming to Old Trafford? I'm not saying he won't but there's no word coming out of the club at the moment so who's to say whats going on

And don't forget BBC are just looking for clicks on their webpage too and thats why its there??? Same as the tabloids etc..

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

BBC don't need to look for clicks. They're not goal.com or the mail or something.

They're as reliable as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Yeah, essentially it's only his opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

#mufc XI vs @ValenciaCF: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Young, Fletcher, Herrera, James; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez
    — Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 12, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

BBC don't need to look for clicks. They're not goal.com or the mail or something.

They're as reliable as it gets.

There transfer ticker does include rumours from other sources so they're hardly reliable if they're copying and pasting other sites' crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

BBC are entirely government funded...no advertising... No click bate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What time is the game at and is it on TV anywhere?

• Advertisement

There transfer ticker does include rumours from other sources so they're hardly reliable if they're copying and pasting other sites' crap

All of which is clearly marked as falling under the heading "gossip". Their news section is as reliable as you'll get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Those are reported as being from other sources. This is a story on their main page which states the transfer request as fact. There's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

An injury to Evans is all we need just now, hopefully its nonsense and its just people assuming he is as opposed to it being reality. Shaw being missing is strange one also tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Trilla wrote: »
    What time is the game at and is it on TV anywhere?

19:30 on MUTV HD

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

VanGaalOT.jpg

"I am looking forward to walking out into the stadium as the manager of Manchester United, as I know it will be a special moment for me. I have been here before, of course, as a manager with Barcelona and Bayern Munich, and I know just how difficult it is for visiting teams at Old Trafford. I am really looking forward to having you on the same side as my players!"

Those are reported as being from other sources. This is a story on their main page which states the transfer request as fact. There's a difference.

The fact that people don't understand this simple yet crucial difference is exactly why this thread is such torture for much of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The idea that the government funded BBC need to fish for clicks is mind blowingly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Marcus Rojo has handed in a transfer request and Utd have made a bid of €20 million. There's no doubting the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

NUTZZ wrote: »
    19:30 on MUTV HD

any way to throw them a few quid just for the match or do you have to subscribe to the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The idea that the government funded BBC need to fish for clicks is mind blowingly stupid.

BBC are just a tabloid fishing for clicks. SourceRating: Don't trust
    Twitter account with over 1,000 followers. SourceRating: Trust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I haven't watched a second of the pre-season this year and we've done pretty well.

I went to a shed load of games last season and we did pretty ****e.

Should I watch the match tonight?

ericzeking wrote: »
    BBC are entirely government funded...no advertising... No click bate

Not entirely, they do have limited ads for people accessing the site from outside the U.K.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I haven't watched a second of the pre-season this year and we've done pretty well.

Yeah, just don't watch any of the Premier League games.

Reedsie wrote: »
    Marcus Rojo has handed in a transfer request and Utd have made a bid of €20 million. There's no doubting the BBC.

Well look, it's always possible they're mistaken, but they simply would not publish a story like this unless they completely believed it was true.

You have to see whether the curse is broken before important games start up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

any way to throw them a few quid just for the match or do you have to subscribe to the station?

http://unitedlive.manutd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is the game exclusive to MUTV?
    Anywhere across the Atlantic showing it? FOX or Sportsnet etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It will be really interesting to see the difference between tonights friendly and Rio's testimonial last year. Last year, Moyes set up not to lose his first game at Old Trafford and we were over-run by a Sevilla team playing a friendly as it should be played -with the shackles off.

In contrast, I expect us to play some nice attacking football tonight. Win or lose is irrelevant as we'll probably make loads of subs anyway but I expect a positive attacking performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That Madrid front 6 looks as good as any ive seen. Its scary how good it is. No place for Di Maria in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Any mention of what number Adnan is wearing tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement