Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

lordgoat wrote: »
    I assumed the crowd were saying shooootttt rather than booing, said it to DDG at one stage, more a bit of craic as it was a pretty dull game?

Could be completely wrong though...

Blackett cracker of a game. Well played son, i'm improving my opinion of him every match.

the booing probably came from another part of the stadium and directed towards the people jeering it wouldnt be the first time its been done in OT (nani last year iirc)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There are two schools of thought with regard to booing "one of our own", probably best illustrated by reference to David Moyes.

Some people's view was "he is manager of Manchester United and I will stick by him no matter what".

Some other people's view (my own included) was that he was totally out of his depth and had to go. At Old Trafford, I would have booed David Moyes, chanted "Moyes out" and sung "Cum on Feel the Noize...Sack David Moyes". I would have chipped in towards the £800 to send that plane over Old Trafford if asked. Every day that man spent at Old Trafford was an extra day where we wouldn't be chasing our 6th European Cup.

My feelings regarding Fellaini are broadly similar...he is totally out of his depth and should be cashiered out.

Does a "real" fan laud anyone who wears the jersey or insist on the best for their club? I consider myself a Manchester United fanatic, but I have nothing but contempt for (say) Fellaini, Moyes and Barthez to name but a few.

1. I hope I never sit beside you at OT
    2. Wow. That comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

lordgoat wrote: »
    I assumed the crowd were saying shooootttt rather than booing, said it to DDG at one stage, more a bit of craic as it was a pretty dull game?

Could be completely wrong though...

They weren't calling for him to shoot in his own half....it was sarcastic cheering, and if he held the ball for more than two seconds, it was whistles and boos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Van Gaal brings on Fellaini who scores a last minute winner. Tactical genius! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Even though the woeful MUFC TV microphones are made of tinfoil and spit, they were definitely jeering at Fellaini - I hate to see that, especially at OT in our final game of a great pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

There are two schools of thought with regard to booing "one of our own", probably best illustrated by reference to David Moyes.

Some people's view was "he is manager of Manchester United and I will stick by him no matter what".

Some other people's view (my own included) was that he was totally out of his depth and had to go. At Old Trafford, I would have booed David Moyes, chanted "Moyes out" and sung "Cum on Feel the Noize...Sack David Moyes". I would have chipped in towards the £800 to send that plane over Old Trafford if asked. Every day that man spent at Old Trafford was an extra day where we wouldn't be chasing our 6th European Cup.

My feelings regarding Fellaini are broadly similar...he is totally out of his depth and should be cashiered out.

Does a "real" fan laud anyone who wears the jersey or insist on the best for their club? I consider myself a Manchester United fanatic, but I have nothing but contempt for (say) Fellaini, Moyes and Barthez to name but a few.

I have to disagree with this. I know it is just a matter of opinion but in my view if someone is representing the club I will support them. Now I'm not saying that everything they touch turns to gold, we can criticise them and say if we feel they're not good enough but to do so during a match I just find very disrespectful.

Getting behind the team/players when they are under performing will have a better effect than booing them in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was Rooney that bad? Was only half watching but seemed to be picking up some ball and linking up with the young lad on the left well.

He started OK, just didn't look interested the longer it went on. The usual sloppy passing when he goes into that mode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    They weren't calling for him to shoot in his own half....it was sarcastic cheering, and if he held the ball for more than two seconds, it was whistles and boos.

I am sure fans normally sing a song to support a player, not whatever that was tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Delighted to see Fellaini come on, do well, and get the winner.

The ironic cheering from the crowd was a complete disgrace. No place for that at Old Trafford. The lad can be a very decent player for us. Get behind him ffs. When a player is struggling they need support more than when they are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As I said earlier in the month, everyone should be given a clean slate under Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That centre half looks great on the ball.

Loved the Herrera pass and Young first time cross for the Peno. Shows how long passes and wing play can be used effectively and with style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Surprised at the Rooney assessments, thought he played really well should have scored but his general play, touch and passing were excellent today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

dubmick wrote: »
    Please tell me our players were not getting jeered at Old Trafford tonight

One player. Fellaini. I don't think that I would boo him but I understand why some fans might.

I would not question such a fan's loyalty to the cause.

Perhaps such a fan actually is the more dedicated to the cause?

That centre half looks great on the ball.

Who?

Blackett?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

case885 wrote: »
    Ah come on based on a friendly against valencia, i think last seasons form should be taken into consideration and based on that he should be sold.
    Why not discount every game in pre-season then? Last season was a disaster for nearly everyone at the club.

Fellani had the price tag attached and yeah he wasn't great last season, but you can't just simply take away that he did very well tonight, and gave serious effort. Plus he did it with idiots in the crowd booing him. I respect him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The crowd were really disappointing tonight! It's a real opportunity to inject some fresh energy into the team & get behind them but instead it was like a morgue with the odd United or Rooney chant. The 'cheering' for Fellaini was awful, just awful. That better not be a feature of the season ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

One player. Fellaini. I don't think that I would boo him but I understand why some fans might.

They can go dedicate themselves somewhere else if that's how they carry on

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Who?

Blackett?

Is that who it is yeah? He put in the ball at the end for Fellaini. Noticed earlier in the game he seemed to bring it out of defence with a lot of assurance as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Rojo must have been his second choice behind Vermaelen.

And 3rd choice behind hummels and vermaelen perhaps. what ever about other positions, its been clear for months we needed reinforcements through center of defence and the most likely reason we didnt sign players is down to us simply failing to land our targets there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I read this thread much more than I post, but jaysus, you talk some amount of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A perfect preseason from United, 6 wins from 6 games. A much maligned player gets the winner, we win in the dying seconds. LVG is certainly showing the Midas Touch so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm awful confused. I heard cheering, not jeering.

Imagine if Fellaini came on and played everyone off the park.

Ahem, well he scored anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fellaini is Moyes scapegoat, the lad hasn't done anything wrong and for United fans to boo him just creates a horrible atmosphere for all involved.

Loyalty is supporting the team in good times and bad, any "fan" jeering Fellaini tonight doesn't deserve such a title.

Like I said previously hes probably a wrong fit for the club and there's ways to deal with that professionally

Majority of "fans" were quiet all night and only decided to make some noise booing one of the clubs own players

Dedicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fellaini might have had a terrible season last year but by fcuk he wasn't the only one.

To want him out of the club based on a bad first season under the Moyes regime is plain stupid IMO. Speaking for myself here of course but I was delighted we signed him. Let the lad get his confidence back and he'll look a hell of a lot better. If he doesn't do the business then sell him at January(it's not like he will be cup tied) but he needs to be given a fair chance.

If we're shipping out midfielders then based on performances over the last few seasons Cleverley should be first out the door.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I have to disagree with this. I know it is just a matter of opinion but in my view if someone is representing the club I will support them. Now I'm not saying that everything they touch turns to gold, we can criticise them and say if we feel they're not good enough but to do so during a match I just find very disrespectful.

Getting behind the team/players when they are under performing will have a better effect than booing them in my mind.

Is there a point though where a rational fan has to say "this guy is crap" and stop "supporting" him?

I was sceptical about Moyes' appointment but supported him at the start. However, once it became clear to me that my scepticism was spot on, I was trenchant in my calls for him to be sacked. I genuinely believe that those lads who hired the plane did the club a great service. But I've no doubt that many posters here probably think that they're scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I d give Fellaini till Christmas before a decision is made on him. He came into a very difficult situation last year with an inflated price tag and into a team in disarray. If anyone can make him into an effective player its Van Gaal. He showed good strength when he came on which we lack in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

****ing discraceful to boo one of our own players. Glad he got the goal and stuck it back at them cnuts. Let LVG decide what he wants to do with Fellani. Its wasn't the lads fault he cost what he did or his fault that Moyes was a disaster. I wouldn't even call them proper fans. The real fans that go to the games are the away supporters. These chaps booing are only muppets. Rant over:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I heard boo-urns

• Advertisement

Is there a point though where a rational fan has to say "this guy is crap" and stop "supporting" him?

I was sceptical about Moyes' appointment but supported him at the start. However, once it became clear to me that my scepticism was spot on, I was trenchant in my calls for him to be sacked. I genuinely believe that those lads who hired the plane did the club a great service. But I've no doubt that many posters here probably think that they're scum.

Still not at all convinced by you Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It was quite clearly taking the piss and at one stage he had the ball for a few seconds and he was being booed quite vigourously. Embarrassing to be honest. I doubt the season ticket holders will do it on Saturday if he plays.

And 3rd choice behind hummels and vermaelen perhaps. what ever about other positions, its been clear for months we needed reinforcements through center of defence and the most likely reason we didnt sign players is down to us simply failing to land our targets there.

I dont recall any official bids the club made for Hummels.

Is that who it is yeah? He put in the ball at the end for Fellaini. Noticed earlier in the game he seemed to bring it out of defence with a lot of assurance as well.

Yes thats him. Genuinely surprised at how assured he has looked defending in pre season and also like how he is happy to tell other players what to do. On the ball he is good, probably comes from playing left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's pretty scummy to boo a player off your own team in any circumstances but to boo a player coming on, who in fairness to him has always worked hard whenever he's got a game, at the end of a preseason friendly with the league beginning in a few days, is really horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

billyhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't even call them proper fans. The real fans that go to the games are the away supporters. These chaps booing are only muppets. Rant over:mad:

I guarantee you, the vast majority of them lot booing any player tonight wont set foot inside the stadium for the rest of the season.

Idiots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For the record, I do understand the reasons people don't like Fel. Not just the bad season, but the fact is he is the personification of Moyes' reign. He was the level of player Moyes attracted, the style of footballer Moyes wanted to play. Last season, he was the example of what was wrong.

That's not to excuse the booing when he is back 5 minutes. Cleverly played worse and gave away a goal! and nothing. Moyes was dragging the club down quick, and still got cheered. But apparently now Moyes is gone, Fel is immediately the worst player Ever!?! **** off....

thelad95 wrote: »
    It was quite clearly taking the piss and at one stage he had the ball for a few seconds and he was being booed quite vigourously. Embarrassing to be honest. I doubt the season ticket holders will do it on Saturday if he plays.

Fellaini was sarcastically "cheered" lads, when he held onto the the ball for a few seconds he was encouraged to shoot not booed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I suppose it is a matter of opinion. No matter how poorly a player plays or a member of staff do their job I could never boo them and jeer them during the match.

At the match I feel a bit of respect should be shown for the people representing the club. I don't see how booing and jeering can help. More beneficial trying to support the club and then voice any complaints outside of match day in my view.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Fellaini was sarcastically "cheered" lads, when he held onto the the ball for a few seconds he was encouraged to shoot not booed.

ah stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Perhaps you talk utter bollocks?

Still not at all convinced by you Larry.

In what respect?

It's a legitimate viewpoint. I would have booed Moyes but I have to say that I doubt that I would boo Fellaini. I think that he's totally out of his depth and should be sold immediately, but I don't think that I'd boo him. If I'm honest, I might heckle him. I heckled Barthez at a game once because in my humble opinion he was a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Fergie and Ronaldo like reunited lovers at the Super Cup final :pac:

In what respect?

It's a legitimate viewpoint. I would have booed Moyes but I have to say that I doubt that I would boo Fellaini. I think that he's totally out of his depth and should be sold immediately, but I don't think that I'd boo him. If I'm honest, I might heckle him. I heckled Barthez at a game once because in my humble opinion he was a clown.

Nope, still don't quite believe you. We'll see again in another few weeks I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

lol Larry. Booing your own team is a disgraceful act regardless if the player is dire and the best way to settle it is by debating at the end of the game. By being at the game you get behind the team and encourage them, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

In what respect?

you wouldnt have booed fellaini yet you would have booed moyes?! :confused:

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I suppose it is a matter of opinion. No matter how poorly a player plays or a member of staff do their job I could never boo them and jeer them during the match.

At the match I feel a bit of respect should be shown for the people representing the club. I don't see how booing and jeering can help. More beneficial trying to support the club and then voice any complaints outside of match day in my view.

A fair point. Your view's widely held I'd say.

Personally I found that "Chosen One" banner an affront and an abomination and I believe that fans who booed Moyes "did the club some service".

But it would be a boring world if we all agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

In what respect?

and what the **** do you achieve by heckling one of your players?
    does the manager give 2 ****s about what you think? No
    do the owners give 2 ****s about what you think? No

Support the whole team for the 90mins or gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

A fair point. Your view's widely held I'd say.

Personally I found that "Chosen One" banner an affront and an abomination and I believe that fans who booed Moyes "did the club some service".

But it would be a boring world if we all agreed.
    lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fergie and Ronaldo like reunited lovers at the Super Cup final :pac:

Indeed, huge smiles from Ronaldo, a very warm embrace and hopefully that was Ronaldo nodding that he is returning next year to United, which is my prediction for next summer...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement