Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

God I miss SAF. Seeing the odd video of him now really makes me miss him in dugout. Hopefully LVG delivers and helps me get over Fergie. I think I'm still in denial about him being gone. Actually I think I need to just move this post to the personal issues forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Then go and support a club like Stoke.

We are Manchester United.

We deserve the best and we should aspire to be the best.

Not chasing guys like Mourinho and Vidal and settling for dross like Moyes Fellaini is what has got us into the current mess.
    How do you k.ow Herrera and Shaw wont become the best? Like look at ronaldo, he was a kid, a promising kid, but still a kid when we brought him over and now..

Moyes was a blip, yes, but we've bought supposedly 'top quality players' before and theyve flopped, while weve both bought and brought up kids before and theve become fantastic players!

United have always been a development club,whos got the best out of young players and turned them into members of winning teams.. We're not City or Chelsea and i hope to god we never become that kind of team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

magnumbud wrote: »
    season-friendly-fellaini-valencia_3189968.jpg

cant help but feel happy for big fell in that picture

Not his biggest fan, but I have to agree. I was wishing for him to stuff it to some of the muppets in the stands. And he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rojo is a CB.Plays LB for Argentina but is a CB for Sporting.

Oh right, didn't know that. Thought he was just a LB. Would be an ideal signing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Liam O wrote: »
    At least Vidal will get rid of that adox character for a while :p

But seriously why would he be coming at the weekend? There's a game on then, seems a bit different to how it should be.

Anastacia is playing in Manchester on Friday, maybe there is method to his madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Missed the match but read the report that said he was sarcastically applauded every time he touched the ball...

Not a fan of that, I've said many a time that I'm not Rooney's biggest fan (whole other argument) but still supported him....

Anyhow guess he had the last laugh

Not his biggest fan, but I have to agree. I was wishing for him to stuff it to some of the muppets in the stands. And he did.

I made a pretty derogatory comment about him around when he signed but I'm delighted for him as he didn't even get close to his best last season. I still don't think he is united quality in the long term but he is good enough at the moment in comparison to our current options.

duffman13 wrote: »
    God I miss SAF. Seeing the odd video of him now really makes me miss him in dugout. Hopefully LVG delivers and helps me get over Fergie. I think I'm still in denial about him being gone. Actually I think I need to just move this post to the personal issues forum.

I hear ya, you're still traumatised after losing the GOAT. Personally, I found this worked wonders for me......

54949_padded-cell.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I actually feel sorry for him. He deserves the full support of every single fan on saturday and for the rest of his career and i hope he gives two fingers to those clowns tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭recyclops

@BFairthorne: Followers will know I haven't reported transfer news all summer. Just been told by agent with players at United that Vidal is a 100% done.

Fairly big claim there.

• Advertisement

I made a pretty derogatory comment about him around when he signed but I'm delighted for him as he didn't even get close to his best last season. I still don't think he is united quality in the long term but he is good enough at the moment in comparison to our current options.

Interestingly enough, the 15 minutes of play he had tonight was the best I've seen him play in a United shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fellaini beside Herrera is something that could work well imo. 2 players capable in both attack and defense. I felt the Dutch at the WC didn't really have those players. Wijnaldum is more of an attacker and De Jong is purely defensive. I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Assuming he doesn't get offloaded in the near future then I'd love to think that LVG will push him to bring out his best and disprove the naysayers (myself included).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

recyclops wrote: »
    @BFairthorne: Followers will know I haven't reported transfer news all summer. Just been told by agent with players at United that Vidal is a 100% done.

Fairly big claim there.

Haha I don't think Ben Fairthorne has ever gotten a claim right, he's an absolute spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

billyhead wrote: »
    Will you go away out of that. The boss knows what he needs and will act upon that. I would rather have hardworking loyal players who are not guaranteed their game then those over paid prema donnas that are at a circus club like Real Madrid who might not even gel together and will throw their toys out of the pram at the earliest sign of squad rotation. If that's your way of thinking stick to the football manager game.

While I appreciate the sentiment, it would be kinda nice to have that Madrid squad right now. They have a few useful players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fellaini beside Herrera is something that could work well imo.

Much rather see that working than having Cleverley or even Fletcher in there.

Haha I don't think Ben Fairthorne has ever gotten a claim right, he's an absolute spoofer.

Actually unfollowed him yesterday as didnt find anything interesting in what he ever had to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 49s
    BREAKING: We can announce @WayneRooney is #mufc's new captain. Darren Fletcher vice-captain. http://bit.ly/1BcokBs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rooney new captain!

Confirmed by clubs twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

BREAKING: We can announce @WayneRooney is #mufc's new captain. Darren Fletcher vice-captain. http://bit.ly/1BcokBs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RVN10 wrote: »

Meh...

Think RVP will be defecto captain tbh, but I am sure Rooney will appreciate it.

Fletcher as vice is actually more interesting to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The new Sky Sports News HQ studio is good for more visuals of Kate Abdo. The full figure experience.

Wait where am I.... Fellaini Boooooooo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Howard Nurse "confirming" bid for Rojo made....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Delighted for Rooney, totally deserved.

RVN10 wrote: »

Probably the best choice available at the moment. I'm happy enough and for the first time in a few years Rooney even appears happy even though it's only preseason.

Does anybody else think that Adnan doesnt really fit into the 3-5-2 formation and could struggle to start many games?

There are two schools of thought with regard to booing "one of our own", probably best illustrated by reference to David Moyes.

Some people's view was "he is manager of Manchester United and I will stick by him no matter what".

Some other people's view (my own included) was that he was totally out of his depth and had to go. At Old Trafford, I would have booed David Moyes, chanted "Moyes out" and sung "Cum on Feel the Noize...Sack David Moyes". I would have chipped in towards the £800 to send that plane over Old Trafford if asked. Every day that man spent at Old Trafford was an extra day where we wouldn't be chasing our 6th European Cup.

My feelings regarding Fellaini are broadly similar...he is totally out of his depth and should be cashiered out.

Does a "real" fan laud anyone who wears the jersey or insist on the best for their club? I consider myself a Manchester United fanatic, but I have nothing but contempt for (say) Fellaini, Moyes and Barthez to name but a few.

What have they done to draw your contempt? Never mind, this post is pure bollox. Once I reminded myself that this tripe came from the same source as "David Beckham would not have gotten such accolades had he looked like Luke Chadwick" and "my mate in J.P. Morgan says Vidal is signing this weekend", all was clear to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

fletcher vice captain could hinder our persuit of midfield player?? is he currently first team quality if we have high hopes like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

At least Vidal will get rid of that adox character for a while :p

But seriously why would he be coming at the weekend? There's a game on then, seems a bit different to how it should be.

So he can do the whole sitting in the stands watching the team he is about to become king of thing.

Its all the rage these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Suprised RVP isn't vice-captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Not really happy to see Rooney be captain. Someone who asked to leave the club twice shouldn't be the leader of the team. I know it should really start getting over it but I can't imagine the players really look at Rooney as a leader. Hopefully he will lift a few trophies as United captain though!

Does anybody else think that Adnan doesnt really fit into the 3-5-2 formation and could struggle to start many games?

Listening to Crerand on Mutv he will be fine. But yeah he is only really suited to the no 10 role in that system. Thought he looked lively tonight, he seemed to be playing alongside Rooney in front of Kagawa as a second striker. But with everyone fit, he doesn't fit in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Have to think that if carrick wasn't injured he would have got the vice captain or even the captaincy itself. If RVP is anything to go by at Holland under LVG he won't have an issue with Rooney being captain.

For those who may not have seen it. I'm just putting up the tweet with LVG's comments....

78458_Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Yes. Said a few days ago and seemed to be the only one online at the time that seemed worried about it. People say he "can" AM or up front but realistically he does is best work out wide. I think he'll be limited to a bit part place in the team coming off the bench if the current 352 system is continued throughout the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Don't ask Paddy Crerand. When asked hows does Adnan fit into this system, he said on the wings. So you mean wing back Paddy? No no maybe not wing back. :pac:

So yeah, Adnan duking it out with Mata, Kagawa for the middle spot. Rooney still coming short a lot too so Adnan could do that role too but overall there are a lot of players fighting for 3 positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I suppose we haven't really got any leaders, Rooney puts 100% into everything so is a good example on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yep. Even though when I look at him I don't see a wide player either. I think he will play the best football of his career as a central creative player, but we have enough of those ahead of him as it is for him to get a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rooney getting the armband is underwhelming tbh.

Adnan's cameo was great today and if he's fit he'll probably get the nod alongside Rooney at the weekend, we looked really fluid when he came on.

Really happy for Fel hopefully he can prove he's good enough to be part of LVGs United.

Perfect pre season really, hopefully we can wrap up our business in the next week or so.

Feels great to be a United fan again very optimistic about the upcoming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Yes. Said a few days ago and seemed to be the only one online at the time that seemed worried about it. People say he "can" AM or up front but realistically he does is best work out wide. I think he'll be limited to a bit part place in the team coming off the bench if the current 352 system is continued throughout the season.

Best work out wide? In my opinion some of his best work has been through balls and swish passes he's played from a more central position. Thought he stalled last year when stuck out wide, players doubled up on him and stopped him cutting inside and he kept dribbling himself into dead-ends. He played centrally when he came on tonight and displayed some incisive passing that was lacking in that part of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Wouldn't be too worried about Adnan given what LvG was able to do with Robben at the World Cup with the same formation. I think that'll eventually be the role he will perform when he plays - moving him to the right or left of the 3 at the top of formation. So effectively you have a wing back and winger down the one side overloading. He's a versatile lad so he'll be able to play in a few different positions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I reckon Adnan will get games in a number of positions, up front or at 10.

United won't play 3-4-1-2 all the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

My thoughts on Rooney being given the captains armband are well known.
    But time to move on and lets get behind every meber of our squad and management team and look forward to a great season ahead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

TheTownie wrote: »
    Don't ask Paddy Crerand. When asked hows does Adnan fit into this system, he said on the wings. So you mean wing back Paddy? No no maybe not wing back. :pac:

So yeah, Adnan duking it out with Mata, Kagawa for the middle spot. Rooney still coming short a lot too so Adnan could do that role too but overall there are a lot of players fighting for 3 positions.

Crerand is actually right, I think. Not often I type that sentence.

LVG was only speaking the other day about not having a winger like Ronaldo or Di Maria so it is not like we cannot play a winger in the front 3. Not a traditional hugging the sideline winger but a winger who drifts a little bit more inside and swaps sides throughout the game. Madrid play a front 3 of Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale. And in the World Cup, LVG played Robben in the same position.

Januzaj would be great for that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Howard Nurse "confirming" bid for Rojo made....

He's getting better. At least he's got in on the same day as everybody else this time :pac:

fletcher vice captain could hinder our persuit of midfield player?? is he currently first team quality if we have high hopes like?

Id be a bit worried about that also though it could be a token gesture and mean **** all. It does now look however that he will be starting the season as first choice midfield which nobody would have predicted or expected on here in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This made me chuckle

Rooney to RVP tomorrow morning:

aPaYUXw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I would definitely have booed Moyes.

If I was at the game tonight, I don't believe that I'd boo Fellaini. I might heckle him (e.g. "you're crap!" or "sell him!"). I fundamentally believe that Fellaini is an awful footballer...a Tony Cascarino type who is suited to Stoke City type long ball stuff rather than fluid football. I also believe that he's a nasty dirty player. I basically don't like anything about him.

Stoke City don't play long ball stuff anymore since Sparky took over which shows just about what you know about anything. You're opinions and this entitled attitude you have are why United fans are often disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Every day that man spent at Old Trafford was an extra day where we wouldn't be chasing our 6th European Cup.

Is this an in joke?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement