Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Delighted with Rooney getting the captaincy.

• MikeyGorse wrote: »
    Delighted with Rooney getting the captaincy.

Confirmed tonight??

Nevemind spotted the tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is this an in joke?

I actually doubt it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TheTownie wrote: »

Main thing i took from that
    Valencia is a defender
    No right back cover needed unless he gets rid of Rafael

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Best work out wide? In my opinion some of his best work has been through balls and swish passes he's played from a more central position. Thought he stalled last year when stuck out wide, players doubled up on him and stopped him cutting inside and he kept dribbling himself into dead-ends. He played centrally when he came on tonight and displayed some incisive passing that was lacking in that part of the pitch.

From what I have seen i would have thought the opposite. I can remember one game in particular in the champions league when adnan stared behind the striker and kagawa started out left. Neither of them were very useful. At half time they swapped and we were so much better, with both of them being our best players on the night.

Having said I haven't seen him play centrally a whole lot only here and there really. Didn't get to see the game tonight. Hopefully I'm wrong and he does get gametime and plays well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

brinty wrote: »
    Main thing i took from that
    Valencia is a defender
    No right back cover needed unless he gets rid of Rafael

Was about to post this. I hope he's the backup defender. From watching him at RB in the past I think his defensive positioning is lacking. Also, going forward as an actual winger he is very poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Is this an in joke?

If it is its in Larrys Head only!

Ah no, he reckons if United did the right things then they would be chasing Liverpool's 5 European cups one by one and by that comment going for no 6 by virtue of totting up a few wins.

Basically over 5 years repeating what Barca did.

Sounds a bit much but Larry is entitled to his dreams/wishes, although i reckon he should aim higher and be hoping to get to 11, dream big :pac: .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

So as it stands our options for saturday definsively are keane, blackett, jones and smalling with young as RWB option i guess.

Recipe for disaster there tho of course having Evans and Shaw makes things more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What the hell, all Twitter exploding with transfer stuff?!?!

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?!?!

Also that Ronaldo&SAf gif is amazing, Ronaldos expression is quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Haven't seen any of the game but by all accounts Fellaini got a bad time of it. I'm not as convinced as most that he won't be a success for us.

I think he can do that Carrick role effectively if given the chance, especially with someone like Ander alongside. I'd love it if he had a stormer of a season and proved the nay sayers wrong, although no matter how well he plays, the opinion of the masses will always be influenced by his price tag and his ties to the Moyes era, which is most unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »

Keep the dream alive!

ALL ABOARD THE POSITIVITY TRAIN, CHOO CHOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

macslash wrote: »

The players seemed quite pleased for Fellaini. I'd say they didn't think much of a team-mate being mocked by their own fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Any chance the Rojo deal being done asap would LVG play him Saturday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

user2011 wrote: »

At best,mi would say he will be on the bench. At best.

Right now, Jones, Smalling and Blackett deserve the chance to keep their thing going into the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Paddy finally says something worth listening to.
    Paddy Crerand ‏@PatCrerand 6m
    If you don't support all the players who play for Utd don't bother coming to Old Trafford

user2011 wrote: »

Doubt it, as fitness appears to be a big thing for LVG, his comments tonight and about RVP would suggest he wont play any new signing for 2-3 weeks, especially ones like Rojo who is only back off holiday.

Eitherway, a defender needs to be signed before Saturday and they could make the bench but for sheer desperation due to lack of numbers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Lord TSC wrote: »
    At best,mi would say he will be on the bench. At best.

Right now, Jones, Smalling and Blackett deserve the chance to keep their thing going into the league.

Young and James at WB?

Or even how serious is Shaw's injury? Got caught up in the build up to the Super Cup so missed all the info about injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lads how do ye rate Rojo? Only took notice of him at the WC. Didn't really stand out that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Robson99 wrote: »
    Lads how do ye rate Rojo? Only took notice of him at the WC. Didn't really stand out that much

I couldn't pick him out of the Argentina squad photo if I tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have to say I absolutely hate Booing in all its forms at a sporting event. Its a regular thing at UFC events and it really gets to me.

Its brilliant in WWE and in panto but to actually Boo someone or a team just bugs me.

A certain poster used the word "Disgusted" earlier in relation to Uniteds transfer policy but went on to say he would Boo players. Well I have to say I would be irritated by Uniteds transfer policy but I would be absolutely disgusted by anyone who is ignorant enough to Boo a sportsman, let alone a member of the team you support.

Anyway..... Kate Abdo. I think of her to cheer me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Robson99 wrote: »

from what I gather from sporting fans on reddit, he came from Russia where he didn't do too well. he struggled to settle in in his first year at sporting but was easily their best defender last season. he's a better CB than Lb, he just played there for Argentina as they're a bit light defensively. he's calm on the ball and often comes out of defence with it. I can link the video as I'm on my phone but search for his rabona clearence he did at the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If worse comes to worse Giggsy will tog out and drop to left back while VG will slot into the centre of defence. We're fine.

TheDoc wrote: »

Transfer Stuff!!!!!!!!!!

nXBz6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal said this was our worst match, I'm glad he talked about the poor passing at times, we had a lot of possession in the last two games but should have done a lot more with it rather than keep it in unthreatening areas and let the other team regroup

It will take a few months before we start seeing the real progress I think, but I don't think I'd have any other manager orchestrating the rebirth after last season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd much sooner see Cleverly shipped out the Fellaini.

Clowns boo'ing him.

Strange Wilson got no preseason time at all, especially with a reduced squad and others perhaps leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Saw this on reddit, would like to think it's correct
    If I'm honest, my take on this is completely different. When Fellaini first came on, he was getting booed every time he got the ball - whether due to the Moyes connection or his supposed Napoli move, I don't know. But it seems like the fans took notice of the minority booing, as they soon added cheers which drowned out the boos - but not completely, you could still hear them. This genuinely makes me think that the respectful majority were cheering him to give him some confidence and to try and drown out the boos.

EDIT Just spoken to my grandparents (my whole family are season ticket holders but they're the only ones who bought tickets for tonight) who said that everyone around them was commenting on how disgraceful the booing was. The cheering genuinely was to try and drown it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads haven't been in here since 7am LOOONG day in work. Whats the latest? I seen the wazza news on sky sports tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads haven't been in here since 7am LOOONG day in work. Whats the latest? I seen the wazza news on sky sports tho

This is all you need to know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91699266&postcount=7471

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Larry Wildman tried to dig his way out of a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Utd win
    Rojo signing
    Larry boos a lot.

Van Gaal said this was our worst match, I'm glad he talked about the poor passing at times, we had a lot of possession in the last two games but should have done a lot more with it rather than keep it in unthreatening areas and let the other team regroup

It will take a few months before we start seeing the real progress I think, but I don't think I'd have any other manager orchestrating the rebirth after last season

He also included a reference to being unhappy with the play in the Liverpool game in his programme notes.
    I wanted to see an improvement in our performances as the tour went along, and that was mainly the case. In the first (half) of the match against Liverpool, I must say that we were very weak, but the spirit of the team turned that around.

The players wanted to show themselves as a team and that is very important for me. I could see winning that particular match brought a lot of pleasure to our fans, and I was pleased that we were able to make them happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter wrote: »
    Taylor's take on Vidal saga.

Daniel Taylor @DTguardian
    United have been trashing the Vidal link all summer. But there's too much noise. Something definitely going on.

Giving this a bit more credit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

adox wrote: »
    Utd win
    Rojo signing
    Larry boos a lot.

Larry's Vidal statement?
    Rojo is signing? Source?
    Has future guy stated were not signing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Larry's Vidal statement?
    Rojo is signing? Source?
    Has future guy stated were not signing him?

BBC and SSN reported Rojo put in a transfer request either before or after United bid €20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Without a shovel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kew on the brink of despair to being all lovely in the garden in space of 24 hours.

dont crush me now Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

keane2097 wrote: »
    Giving this a bit more credit now.

What's changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strange evening for background noise... The general concensus amongst the journalists (for what that's worth) is that Rojo is close and we are not a million miles away from Di Maria which it's being reported Madrid will use the money to purchase Falcao. Strangely many are singing off this hymn sheet with still lots of Vidal chatter in the melting pot too..

Rojo
    Blind
    Vidal
    Di Maria

Yeah I know we can dream.. :p

Also an edit to voice my absolute condemnation for anyone who booed Fellaini tonight. Poor show on their behalf not fit to call themselves United fans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Blatter wrote: »
    What's changed?

Presumably just the fact that DT thinks there's something to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its one of the reasons I truly fell in love with the club was that United fans always got behind their players.

Andy Cole and Forlan come to mind.

Tonight while it was only a minority was disappointing to hear. Aldo why just Fellaini?

Disappointed and I hope it stops asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rojo is a great signing, he was one of the ones during the World Cup that I knew nothing about but admired his performances. He was one of Argentina's best players imo. I presume he will play on the left side of a back three? He looked to me like he would make a great wing-back in the World Cup but obviously that is not going to be the case with all the money spent on Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why all the Fellini hate.... HE IS A GOOD PLAYER! More then capable of doing a good job for us... He played in a somewhat unfamiliar role during uniteds worse season in 20+ years, in which he was injured for a substantial amount , playing with a rotating midfield partnership and no pre season... Disgraceful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Without a shovel

K6BBluR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Presumably just the fact that DT thinks there's something to it.

I don't think so, seeing as he would have seen DT said that the last time he quoted that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its one of the reasons I truly fell in love with the club was that United fans always got behind their players.

Andy Cole and Forlan come to mind.

Tonight while it was only a minority was disappointing to hear. Aldo why just Fellaini?

Disappointed and I hope it stops asap.

Agreed... If it was a case of him being lazy and not trying you might see some reason to boo if your mind was still perversely structured to do so.. But every game I saw him play he has done his best but between us being so **** in general last season, his own guy Moyes not knowing how to deploy him within the side and Fellaini getting his bearings in a PL winning side after a big move there are reasons to cut the guy some slack. Ohhh and he is a Man United player ...One of ours so never ever ! And the Cole comparison is spot on... He missed sitter after sitter in that first 6 month period and we were all willing him on to get goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

David De Gea is a prime example of supporting your own through the bad times.

His first game he let in a long range shot in the Community Shield if I remember. He instantly became one player I vocally supported as I hated the abuse he got from the media and rival fans when it was obvious he was a young lad trying his best under massive pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like Fellaini, he comes across as a real nice person and the past season was not his fault.
    Yes it was his worst season ever in the league, but a lot of United players who have been at Old Trafford for years had similar seasons.

I was just so happy for him when he scored. I don't support booing players, not even Paul Ince whom I didn't like, who seemed to have notions about himself with the Guv'nor rubbish...

Fellaini played well and I would like him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

from what I gather from sporting fans on reddit, he came from Russia where he didn't do too well. he struggled to settle in in his first year at sporting but was easily their best defender last season. he's a better CB than Lb, he just played there for Argentina as they're a bit light defensively. he's calm on the ball and often comes out of defence with it. I can link the video as I'm on my phone but search for his rabona clearence he did at the World Cup

He had a good world cup from the matches I saw him. I think he was on the overall team of the WC. Hes a tall lad, very composed on the ball. Hes a left footer who isn't afraid to put the tackles in and distributes the ball perfectly from that left central back position i.e never misplaces passes etc. he scored a goal as far as I can remember in one of the games aswell which is no bad thing:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement