Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought Januzaj looked brilliant in the forward/free role when he came on last night.

Said earlier in the summer that I could see him doing well up top a la Robben, or in the number 10 spot. Last night was very promising from that perspective. Gives us something very different in that role to Rooney, RVP, Welbeck and Chico. With talk of Chico leaving, I wouldn't sign anyone to replace him - i'd be looking to Januzaj and Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Not a fan of Rojo. Thought he was lucky not to be sent off a few times at the world cup. Rash and too aggressive.

I'd kinda agree, didn't come across as the type of defender who brings calmness to a defence however he is decent as a wing back, huge energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The main thing about the captain debate is that we don't get to see what the players are like in the dressing room. What sort of impact they have during half time, motivating players, and helping the youths adapt. We don't know which player takes the half time speech to pump up the team.

VG must have saw something good in Rooney and tbh he is not the first captain appointed that people have raised questions about. I can understand the concerns but for now I'm going to see how it pans out.

It would be nice to see a transfer done before Saturday, but it's hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't care who the captain is.

I just want a team who plays good football, enjoyable to watch, and is able to compete with the best.

Rooney is captain, good for him. I don't think it will influence the tactics of Van Gaal which are really what influences the results on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Thought Januzaj looked brilliant in the forward/free role when he came on last night.

Said earlier in the summer that I could see him doing well up top a la Robben, or in the number 10 spot. Last night was very promising from that perspective. Gives us something very different in that role to Rooney, RVP, Welbeck and Chico. With talk of Chico leaving, I wouldn't sign anyone to replace him - i'd be looking to Januzaj and Wilson.

Yup he will be a starter in years to come but for now it would be great to have him as an option coming on when opposition defence is tiring losing a little concentration. He played a great direct through pass after turning and getting his head up to Rooney on the edge of the box last night.

Thing is to know the right time to bring him on and in LVG we have a guy who loves his substitutes and seems to takes pride in knowing when to bring substitutes into a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Can’t wait to see Januzaj this season. If VG does half the job on him that did with Robben then we’ll be struggling to hang onto him in a couple of years.

It's not just about the money. I don't remember any other player releasing a statement saying the club was not matching their ambition or handing in transfer requests.

If you read the thread I was referring to Keane who seemingly “held the club to ransom” according to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Giddy with excitement for the weekend. I don't think we emphasize enough the boost in morale and team togetherness that Van Gaal is bringing. Under Moyes the team looked frustrated, fractured and lacking spark. LVG's swagger, clear message and faith in his vision has re-energized my United spirit.
    Onwards and upwards lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yup he will be a starter in years to come but for now it would be great to have him as an option coming on when opposition defence is tiring losing a little concentration.

I'm not overly worried about Januzaj this season, he is still young and doesn't yet need to be playing every game we have. His development will do fine getting appearances as a sub mixed with a starting spot when appropriate, it will do no harm at all taking him back out of the limelight a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In business, you'd identify the best candidate but then ask "okay, is there a reason why we cannot give this guy the role?".

Rooney's behaviour towards the club precludes him from being captain in my view.

And what would that reason be? Rooney has always given 100% even when negotiating for a better age deal.

This is the way business works, you ask for raises at each annual review if your the best worker you get the most.

Rooney is the best choice for captin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Last night really highlighted the need (as if we didn't already know) for a creative midfielder. Hopefully Vidal comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'd reiterate, it doesn't really matter who the captain is, or why he was picked. He could be changed after a month. Every player on the pitch will know that their future will depend on how they perform over the next few months. There effectively has been no permanent captain over preseason and we did alright, it really is a mute point.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Last night really highlighted the need (as if we didn't already know) for a creative midfielder. Hopefully Vidal comes along.

Vidal isn't a particularly creative player.

I would, however, say that partnering Herrera with Vidal would release Herrera to be a creative player, and also give Mata a better platform.

A creative midfielder is taken care of, imo, with Herrera/Mata. We just need a dominant force beside them - Vidal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't care who the captain is.

I just want a team who plays good football, enjoyable to watch, and is able to compete with the best.

Rooney is captain, good for him. I don't think it will influence the tactics of Van Gaal which are really what influences the results on the field.

I think you're giving the captaincy less credit than its worth, its an important role within a team and you need a good captain to be successful.

Two memorable moments when a captain turned a game around completely: Roy Keane when we played Juventus in 99, Steven Gerrard in the 2005 Champions League final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Interesting thing about the captaincy is that Van Gaal has repeatedly stated that his captain must be someone who always plays, couple that with his relationship with RVP and the fact that LVG said he prefers Rooney as a 9 or 10 and then you see that the minutes available up front for Welbeck, Hernandez and Wilson are going to be few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MagicIRL wrote: »

vidal creative?? don't think so.

we already have our creative midfielder Herrera and the little Spaniard genius mata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Giddy with excitement for the weekend. I don't think we emphasize enough the boost in morale and team togetherness that Van Gaal is bringing. Under Moyes the team looked frustrated, fractured and lacking spark. LVG's swagger, clear message and faith in his vision has re-energized my United spirit.
    Onwards and upwards lads!

I think the size of the job was too much for Moyes and it quickly fell apart under him. And I don't mean that the pressure of a high profile position was too much for him. I think it goes deeper than that.
    I remember reading a few times last year that the structures at the club were in disarray. They had deteriorated during Fergie's final years at the club, which is understandable considering his age and how long he'd been there. I think Keane was one who said that Moyes would have been shocked at that situation behind the scenes. Scouting, training, fitness, development, and so on.
    I believe one of the major parts of Fergie's successor's job was to modernise the structures at the club. Moyes had a very good reputation in this regard, and that's probably one of the main reasons Fergie picked him. But the pressure to keep the senior team winning on top of the work behind the scenes was too much for the man. You only had to look at the amount of scouting he was doing. How many times were people saying he should be at OT more, and not off scouting players.
    I reckon VG's role is the same, to set up a new scouting policy, training regime, fitness techniques, youth development, transfer policy, build a new team and improve the style of play on the field. But on top of that, he has to keep the team winning. It's a three year plan for VG.
    This would explain why he's so patient in the transfer window. And this is why I'm being patient.

I could be wrong on all this. Just my own view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Vidal isn't a particularly creative player.

I would, however, say that partnering Herrera with Vidal would release Herrera to be a creative player, and also give Mata a better platform.

A creative midfielder is taken care of, imo, with Herrera/Mata. We just need a dominant force beside them - Vidal imo.

Yeah, that's what I meant. With Herrera playing beside Fletcher and Cleverly he was doing both roles imo. With someone who's not a terrible player beside him, or a player who isn't at their best due to illness, we'll be in a much better position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The main thing about the captain debate is that we don't get to see what the players are like in the dressing room. What sort of impact they have during half time, motivating players, and helping the youths adapt. We don't know which player takes the half time speech to pump up the team.

VG must have saw something good in Rooney and tbh he is not the first captain appointed that people have raised questions about. I can understand the concerns but for now I'm going to see how it pans out.

It would be nice to see a transfer done before Saturday, but it's hard to tell.

Or in a huddle on the pitch when the captain knows the tv cameras are on him.:D

What I think annoys me most about Rooney being captain is when trying to provide an alternative - all I come up with is the fact our squad sorely lacks leadership we can actually trust to be available (or good enough to consistently command a place.

Rooney and RVP are the only two. Evans is injury prone and it is arguable that he (along with the other two CBs) aren't really of the standard required. Fletcher has his illness problems - we don't know how effective he will be long term, and his playing level has to be questionable too. Carrick just doesn't have a leadership character, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

I know some people don't like Paddy Power, because of the PR stunts they did on United last season. But they have been pretty funny abusing Liverpool as of late:
    Fee of £12m agreed between Hull City and Southampton for Shane Long. With the player expected to complete his move to Liverpool on Friday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Seeing reporters mention that Fletcher could have died without his operation last year really highlights what an achievement it is for him to be a professional footballer still, never mind playing for Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Seeing reporters mention that Fletcher could have died without his operation last year really highlights what an achievement it is for him to be a professional footballer still, never mind playing for Manchester United.

Or it shows how bad the midfield is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hate to see this. Have respect for your current club and submit a transfer request. Refusing to train is pretty low, make your feelings known if necessary but not training as a professional athlete is idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Irish94 wrote: »
    I know some people don't like Paddy Power, because of the PR stunts they did on United last season. But they have been pretty funny abusing Liverpool as of late:

They have put the same thing up two or three times with players linked to Southampton it's still not funny.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Hate to see this. Have respect for your current club and submit a transfer request. Refusing to train is pretty low, make your feelings known if necessary but not training as a professional athlete is idiotic.

He has, seemingly, submitted a transfer request.

While I have read he has refused to train - I have also read that Sporting have banned him, and another player, from training for submitting transfer requests, so maybe it isn't his doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He has, seemingly, submitted a transfer request.

While I have read he has refused to train - I have also read that Sporting have banned him, and another player, from training for submitting transfer requests, so maybe it isn't his doing.

Different story if that's the case. Gets on my goat when a contracted player refuses train. Hopefully Sporting have banned him, it may expedite the transfer.

• Advertisement

Didn't Rooney hand in a transfer request because of the club's lack of ambition in the transfer market. Chelsea and City were investing heavily while United were penny pinching. In fairness to Fergie he was a genius and still kept on winning but the long term affects are here now. City and Chelsea are full of star studded players and have pulled well clear of us. Rooney is not the brightest his heart was in the right place but he went about it wrong.

Hopefully while the representatives are over at Sporting they can bring back Carvalho with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Didn't Rooney hand in a transfer request because of the club's lack of ambition in the transfer market. Chelsea and City were investing heavily while United were penny pinching. In fairness to Fergie he was a genius and still kept on winning but the long term affects are here now. City and Chelsea are full of star studded players and have pulled well clear of us. Rooney is not the brightest his heart was in the right place but he went about it wrong.

I always chuckle when I hear this old chestnut.

Players want world class players signed....in every position but their own. Rooney wasn't exactly thrilled when RvP was starting ahead of him under Fergie while he was stuck on the bench, was he?

That "ambition" nonsense was a charm offensive by his PR team because "I want more money" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "I want the club to progress".

Don't get me wrong, I like Rooney, but when footballers claim crap like that it makes me laugh. It's up there with guys like Defoe, RvP, Drogba and Sturridge start talking post match about how it doesn't matter if they score as long as the team plays well. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney is probably the best option at the moment, at least when the young lads at the club look at their captain they'll see someone who gives his all every time he steps on the pitch

See a lot of places linking us with Di Maria and Blind now, if it's a choice between them and Vidal I'd pick Vidal but I would obviously be happy enough if it was the other two, I can't see the club pulling off all three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kirby wrote: »

Players want world class players signed....in every position but their own. Rooney wasn't exactly thrilled when RvP was starting ahead of him under Fergie while he was stuck on the bench, was he?

what is their to chuckle about, when its actually what happened? Fergie confirmed it in his book and subsequent interviews that Rooney came to him and asked him to sign players,naming Ozil as one example.

and Rooney was not benched because of RVP, he was benched because he wasnt playing well. it was the likes of Welbeck who were taking his place, as generally Fergie played with 2 attackers in every game, sometimes even 3.

• Advertisement

That "ambition" nonsense was a charm offensive by his PR team because "I want more money" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "I want the club to progress".

Don't get me wrong, I like Rooney, but when footballers claim crap like that it makes me laugh. It's up there with guys like Defoe, RvP, Drogba and Sturridge start talking post match about how it doesn't matter if they score as long as the team plays well. :p

In fairness you haven't a clue if anything in your post is true or not

Fergie confirmed that Rooney was asking him to buy more players, but that doesn't fit your agenda now does it?

Fergie confirmed that Rooney was asking him to buy more players, but that doesn't fit your agenda now does it?

I have no agenda. You are just being precious.

Or….could it be that this was Rooney’s way out?

I’m sure he’s well advised (on £300k a week he’s certainly well advised!) and rather than go to Fergie and ask (again) for a transfer then manafacture one for himself by asking for something he knew wouldn’t be fortcoming? He must also have known (or his advisors certainly) that telling Ferguson how to do his job was going to ease him towards the door also.

According to Rooney he didn’t ask for a transfer but he certainly knew which buttons to push to make Chelsea’s interest more liekly to succeed.

He just missed the trick that Ferguson was retiring so p1ssing him off wasn’t going to get him his way.

A Liverpool fan, coming into the United thread and posting an opinion heavily influenced by tinted specs about the new captain hasn't got an agenda

I don't support Liverpool. But please, continue to embarrass yourself.

I don't support Liverpool. But please, continue to embarrass yourself.

I mixed you up with another poster, my bad

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Apparently Sporting are planning on disciplining Rojo for unprofessionalism. They aren't happy he went to the press and he will not be playing this week and is told to watch the match at home. The Club President said they will discuss what disciplinary action to take for him. Also they have said they won't bow to player pressure.

Have to agree it is unprofessional to go to the press without getting approval from your current club. Looks like if he does go it will be a very bitter departure.

Coat22 wrote: »

I’m sure he’s well advised (on £300k a week he’s certainly well advised!) and rather than go to Fergie and ask (again) for a transfer then manafacture one for himself by asking for something he knew wouldn’t be fortcoming? He must also have known (or his advisors certainly) that telling Ferguson how to do his job was going to ease him towards the door also.

According to Rooney he didn’t ask for a transfer but he certainly knew which buttons to push to make Chelsea’s interest more liekly to succeed.

He just missed the trick that Ferguson was retiring so p1ssing him off wasn’t going to get him his way.

The requesting players be signed and doubting the club's ambition was the first transfer request, not the second last year.

I don't think it makes sense that Rooney went in and said give me more money and buy more players or I'll leave, I think his main reason was to get the club to buy players and he was offered a higher contract.

I don't think anyone would turn down +200k a week if offered

If it came out that he did it solely for the money then obviously we would be wrong

Rojo, it is claimed refused to train as he believes United met his buyout clause.

The real story is that could be the truth but the club wants more money since they only own 25% of him, and would only get £4 million of the £16 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Coat22 wrote: »

Why don't you use regular font/color whatever it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Apparently Sporting are planning on disciplining Rojo for unprofessionalism. They aren't happy he went to the press and he will not be playing this week and is told to watch the match at home. The Club President said they will discuss what disciplinary action to take for him. Also they have said they won't bow to player pressure.

Have to agree it is unprofessional to go to the press without getting approval from your current club. Looks like if he does go it will be a very bitter departure.

It's a bad way to go about thing's alright , and I wasn't at all impressed with Rojo at the world cup so not particularly enthuiastic about him joining us.

As bad as it is for sporting player power will prevail shortly , they may disipline him , fine him , threaten him with the reservers but I guarantee before transfer deadline day he will get his move and they'll take the money on offer. 16 million is too much to waste at the end of the day to a club like that or any club.

Sky sports news interviewed Vincent Kompany about Rooney being made United captain, he said he has been there a long time and so on then after getting bored with the reporter, he said he really just wanted to concentrate on City and he couldn't care less about who is the captain of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rojo, it is claimed refused to train as he believes United met his buyout clause.

The real story is that could be the truth but the club wants more money since they only own 25% of him, and would only get £4 million of the £16 million.

Well that's their own problem for not buying out his contract not Utd's or his. 16 million is a fair price for him wouldn't pay a penny more.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Why don't you use regular font/color whatever it is?

Think he said before that as he works in an office and doesn't want to be seen posting here all day he types his posts up in outlook or some other program and copies them over which can screw with the formatting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement