Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Think he said before that as he works in an office and doesn't want to be seen posting here all day he types his posts up in outlook or some other program and copies them over which can screw with the formatting.

If he typed it up in notepad or copied it to notepad first before copying it to boards then it would remove any formatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rojo, it is claimed refused to train as he believes United met his buyout clause.

The real story is that could be the truth but the club wants more money since they only own 25% of him, and would only get £4 million of the £16 million.

That drives me mad, it's their own fault for only signing a quarter of a player in the first place! Did they not see that coming like??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anything really concrete about Vidal possible transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO Rooney's raise last year was based on him agreeing to stay through whatever the next few years brings.

He was their only World Class player with a good few years left in him at the time. He's more or less been a one club man but I think it's fair enough that when things were going tits up under Moyes, he said something along the lines of 'I'll give you the rest of my career and help you through this transition but if you want me to turn down all the medals I'd win at Chelsea under Jose, then I need more money'

After that I think he's there for good tbh and is a fairly decent captain pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Think he said before that as he works in an office and doesn't want to be seen posting here all day he types his posts up in outlook or some other program and copies them over which can screw with the formatting.

I do the same but I write in note pad and paste it :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

With pre-season now over and done with, what outward activity do you guys want to see?

Based on this squad.

Sell:

Ben Amos
    Antonio Valencia (unrealistic as he just signed a new deal)
    Michael Carrick (unrealistic as we don't have much cover in this position)
    Anderson
    Nani
    Javier Hernández

Loan:

Tom Lawrence
    James Wilson
    Will Keane
    Nick Powell

Haven't a clue about:

Guillermo Varela
    Marnick Vermijl

I'm torn on Wilfried Zaha and Jesse Lingard. With the former featuring up front this pre-season and the latter deployed at wing-back it's hard to see either of them getting much game time in their preferred positions, especially so if we're bringing in a couple more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Portuguese teams make massive profits from 3rd party ownership, decreasing the risk in buying players, Sporting greedy looking for more when they only own 25% of the player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Why don't you use regular font/color whatever it is?

Because the voices tell me not to – I am writing this in Verdana 10 so it should be coming out the same as typing directly onto explorer?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I do the same but I write in note pad and paste it :D

A lot easier to “disguise” if I’m banging away in Outlook – not much reason for me to be using Notepad but then again not much reason for me to spend my day on here either except that I’m bored

Apologies all if my fonts are coming through in some sort of annoying way. I thought it was just my opinions that pissed people off.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Last night Van Gaal referred to Valencia as a defender.

No place for Valencia as an out and out winger anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Coat22 wrote: »
    Thought defence still looked very dodgy – but it maybe that the midfield is still too porous.

Did anybody else think LVG looked like an embarrassed school kid when Felani scored? Reckon the deal is done there. Already starting to regret it.

Yep I thought he looked a bit sheepish too, though maybe we are reading too much into it:)
    jameshayes wrote: »
    Just after Keane came on last night, a ball was played through that he missed, he then had to make a last ditch overstretching effort to clear the ball, these are the type of situations he gets into that land him on the physio bench for 6 games.

or like the time he burst out of defence past a couple of players impressively, but then had to go and try and go past a third one and overstretched himself...played v well last night tho..

Blackett I was impressed with..James less so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Irishcrx wrote: »
    It's a bad way to go about thing's alright , and I wasn't at all impressed with Rojo at the world cup so not particularly enthuiastic about him joining us.

As bad as it is for sporting player power will prevail shortly , they may disipline him , fine him , threaten him with the reservers but I guarantee before transfer deadline day he will get his move and they'll take the money on offer. 16 million is too much to waste at the end of the day to a club like that or any club.

Rojo played lb at the world cup and he is being signed to play cb. Have you seen much of him at cb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Coat22 wrote: »
    Because the voices tell me not to – I am writing this in Verdana 10 so it should be coming out the same as typing directly onto explorer?

A lot easier to “disguise” if I’m banging away in Outlook – not much reason for me to be using Notepad but then again not much reason for me to spend my day on here either except that I’m bored

Apologies all if my fonts are coming through in some sort of annoying way. I thought it was just my opinions that pissed people off.:cool:

What it looks like to me using the dark skin.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

EDIT: I dont really mind btw, just showing you what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

The Portuguese teams make massive profits from 3rd party ownership, decreasing the risk in buying players, Sporting greedy looking for more when they only own 25% of the player

I think the issue is the amount of “up front” united pay rather than the percentage they receive.

As I understand it, United pay €12M up front and €8M in add ons (correct me if this is wrong)

As SL only own 25% of the player that means they would only receive €3M up front and have to finance the purchase of a new player out of this. Given the Portugese situation I’d imagine even football clubs as big as SL are struggling to raise finance so I’d say it’s a case of cashflow more than anything. If United paid the €20M up front I presume they wouldn’t have this issue (except having to find a replacement for €5M!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Soldie wrote: »
    Sell:

Michael Carrick (unrealistic as we don't have much cover in this position)

Why on earth would you sell Carrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rojo played lb at the world cup and he is being signed to play cb. Have you seen much of him at cb?

No nothing to be honest , thought he was a left back..

Has anyone seen him as a CB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Wonder how much SL own of Carvalho?

I really hope United sign Di Maria, talk of PSG surfacing again for him but then again they need to sell the overpriced Cavani first - with Arsenal linked.

It is being reported and if I remember correctly, this is similar to last year when rumours Di Maria might be sold...Ronaldo doesn't want Di Maria sold as he sees him as a key player

I can't see how with Ronaldo and Bale and then paid huge money for Rodriguez, where they can fit Di Maria in for regular play.
    For a 4-3-3 formation, United should really do what it takes to get him, would be a fabulous signing, and would help make my Ronaldo prediction for next year more likely :P

If Woodward wants a marquee signing and who knows what is going on with Vidal... Di Maria would be a great marquee signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sirsok wrote: »
    Why all the Fellini hate.... HE IS A GOOD PLAYER! More then capable of doing a good job for us... He played in a somewhat unfamiliar role during uniteds worse season in 20+ years, in which he was injured for a substantial amount , playing with a rotating midfield partnership and no pre season... Disgraceful stuff
    He is a decent to good midtable player, but he is not up to it at this level. His touch and passing are phenomenally poor for a club that typically like to move it around a lot, and this was on full display in Belgium's first game at the WC where RTE did a full segment at half time on his inability to give or receive even the simplest of passes, or to spot any open players, often just giving it to the opposition. His best role is where he played later in the tournament for them (though he still was not exactly inspiring there), further up off the striker as a battering ram. Unfortunately for him, that is a role for a more technical Al #10 type, and as Louis has said we already have too many players in that role.

Maybe LvG if stuck with him will be able to find a way to put him in a destroyer role at times, like a De Jong (though he is a far superior player in possession without even being very good at it) though Fellaini at that role would likely be quite liable as he is clumsy, and I hate to say it, quite a dirty hacker at times too.

I don't have any issue with Moyes being booed when things became untenable and he was clearly sending the club backwards at a staggering rate and just did not have the mentality to be manager here - I was openly hoping we would get embarrassed far worse than we were by City on the back end of last season (the one where he said something along the lines of "I hope we are as good as them at some point" which said it all) and was eager for Olympiakos to knock us out of the CL, just to end the bleeding and get him out asap. I don't agree with booing players though as it is a different dynamic, but I would be a long way from Fellainis biggest fan. He does come over as a genuinely nice guy off the pitch though and isn't pulling any nonsense like Heinze was in his last few months here, so yeah booing him even when he scores is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Di Maria on his own would not be enough though, Di Maria would be a great signing to make after a top class centre midfielder is signed and LVG might be looking to shift the formation a bit. As of now Di Maria would be wasted in the two in midfield, I dont see him as a WB, we have enough (too many) number 10's and we are stocked up top.

A big name is great and all, but not just for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

read this morning that Doyen (the group that owns 75% of Rojo) have told Sporting they either have to accept the United bid of €20million or they have to pay Doyen 15million in the next couple of weeks to buy their stake in the player outright themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    I really hope United sign Di Maria, talk of PSG surfacing again for him but then again they need to sell the overpriced Cavani first - with Arsenal linked.

im not a betting man, but id put considerable cash on Di Maria not signing for us. the general consensus around seems to be that he does not want to play for us - could see a deadline day panic buy like the Ozil deal as you said but right now its not happening in my opinion.

looking at Saturday its a game we should win, BUT the fact that we go into it without having strengthened our center of defence is very very disappointing and unforgivable.

had anybody said here last May that Rio and Vidic would be replaced in the squad by Keane and Blackett for the first game of the season, they'd have been laughed out of it. its f8cking happened....:o

kryogen wrote: »
    Di Maria on his own would not be enough though, Di Maria would be a great signing to make after a top class centre midfielder is signed and LVG might be looking to shift the formation a bit. As of now Di Maria would be wasted in the two in midfield, I dont see him as a WB, we have enough (too many) number 10's and we are stocked up top.

A big name is great and all, but not just for the sake of it

I agree, and I did think of that after I posted, your points are more than valid.

LVG will want players so he can play a varied formation, and we need two to three players apart from the very defensive players we need to do that.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Why on earth would you sell Carrick?

He was poor last season and he's not mobile or quick-footed enough for the high-pressing, fast-passing game that van Gaal seems to like playing. He's also a 33-year-old now so I can't see anything more than a continued regression from him.

I'd keep him as a backup if there are no plans to bring in another midfielder or two, but if we are then I'd look at moving him on.

read this morning that Doyen (the group that owns 75% of Rojo) have told Sporting they either have to accept the United bid of €20million or they have to pay Doyen 15million in the next couple of weeks to buy their stake in the player outright themselves.

Don't mess with Doyen...

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I haven't myself, and while I wasn't impressed with him at the WC (he wasn't bad, just kind of average/above average) he wouldn't be a terrible backup option there especially with less games this season due to not being in Europe. If we got him and Blind though, we would be looking very strong for depth at LB while also adding depth at CB and CM in the process.

All that said however, this scares the crap out of me... 17 yellows and 4 reds in 35 starts in the Portuguese Liga. Of those, 10 yellows and 2 reds in 11 starts in the 12/13 season.

im not a betting man, but id put considerable cash on Di Maria not signing for us. the general consensus around seems to be that he does not want to play for us - could see a deadline day panic buy like the Ozil deal as you said but right now its not happening in my opinion.

looking at Saturday its a game we should win, BUT the fact that we go into it without having strengthened our center of defence is very very disappointing and unforgivable.

had anybody said here last May that Rio and Vidic would be replaced in the squad by Keane and Blackett for the first game of the season, they'd have been laughed out of it. its f8cking happened....:o

I am hopeful we will have a couple of defensive signings, not the really big names as mentioned earlier in the season though.

It is going to be a big week, it is the feeling I get, however wrong that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I really hope this is true. Not that it'll make a transfer happen for United, but that Sporting & other clubs will wake up to the mess that 3rd party ownerships are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Soldie wrote: »
    He was poor last season and he's not mobile or quick-footed enough for the high-pressing, fast-passing game that van Gaal seems to like playing. He's also a 33-year-old now so I can't see anything more than a continued regression from him.

I'd keep him as a backup if there are no plans to bring in another midfielder or two, but if we are then I'd look at moving him on.

Most of the squad were poor last year. I think Carrick when fit is going to be a good fit for LvG and will feature a lot more than you might think. The likes of Scholes, Giggs were regressing from the time they were 33 also surely and we got several important seasons and many big games out of each. 33 is way too early to write a player like Carrick off. I think he'll prove you wrong this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    Anything really concrete about Vidal possible transfer?

Judging by the lack of replies.... no!

So di Maria rumours are thin also yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Trilla wrote: »
    Judging by the lack of replies.... no!

So di Maria rumours are thin also yeah?

Id say Di maria has a lot more weight than Vidal since the BBC and The Guardian reported it in the Rojo article

• Advertisement

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Most of the squad were poor last year. I think Carrick when fit is going to be a good fit for LvG and will feature a lot more than you might think. The likes of Scholes, Giggs were regressing from the time they were 33 also surely and we got several important seasons and many big games out of each. 33 is way too early to write a player like Carrick off. I think he'll prove you wrong this season.

I don't think Carrick is a Giggs or Scholes, to be fair. I just feel he doesn't get around the park enough and requires a bit too much time on the ball. His style of play seems to me to be the complete antithesis to what van Gaal wants from his players.

Nevertheless, I'd be delighted to see him prove me wrong and I'll get behind whichever players are in the squad come the end of the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I mixed you up with another poster, my bad

As far as I can tell, Kirby is in the very privileged position of not supporting a team and so has free reign to criticise any team or player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tweets galore about Vidal last night.

Nothing today.

Boooo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Nothing today.

Boooo!!

How about this one, still signing United jerseys..

http://t.co/CxWRTQTGRf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nothing today.

Boooo!!

Even the bullshít artists need to sleep. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As far as I can tell, Kirby is in the very privileged position of not supporting a team and so has free reign to criticise any team or player.

I could support one team, two teams, every team or no team....and I would still be in that position. That's how forums work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

So where does everyone expect us to finish in the league this year?
    Don't want to seem negative, but I don't think we'll get into the top four. It'll be between us and Spurs for 5th and 6th.

That could all change if we get in some serious signings, but starting to look unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Very infuriating when you can't respond with "well yeah? well you're team are a bag of smelly socks!" when someone plays that neutral card.

Kirby wrote: »
    I could support one team, two teams, every team or no team....and I would still be in that position. That's how forums work.

Put your balls out on the table LvG style and tell us who you support.

• Advertisement

Put your balls out on the table LvG style and tell us who you support.

The fact they you seem to care so much makes it more fun to keep you guessing. :P

So where does everyone expect us to finish in the league this year?
    Don't want to seem negative, but I don't think we'll get into the top four. It'll be between us and Spurs for 5th and 6th.

That could all change if we get in some serious signings, but starting to look unlikely.
    I call this the David Moyes Ripple Effect.

We have a chance to win it all, but for me The aim is top 4. I will be very disappointed with anything short of 70-75 points. Style of play is also important, namely getting away from the scared stiff approach we seemed to revert to last year whenever we had a lead (and the brainless 'get wide and cross' approach we often used when not holding ablead).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry lads haven't been following the thread today...

Did anyone find out the reason why the "fans" where cheering / jeering Fellaini last night ?

It seemed to be happening from the second he got on the pitch so appeared per-planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The fact they you seem to care so much makes it more fun to keep you guessing. :P

Clearly a Scunthorpe fan :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Billy86 wrote: »

We have a chance to win it all, but for me The aim is top 4. I will be very disappointed with anything short of 70-75 points. Style of play is also important, namely getting away from the scared stiff approach we seemed to revert to last year whenever we had a lead (and the brainless 'get wide and cross' approach we often used when not holding ablead).

No, not really. It's more of the "would ya look at the quality of Arsenal, City and Chelsea's squad" effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

NeVeR wrote: »
    Sorry lads haven't been following the thread today...

Did anyone find out the reason why the "fans" where cheering / jeering Fellaini last night ?

It seemed to be happening from the second he got on the pitch so appeared per-planned.

I think someone said earlier that there was a minority booing Fellaini and that the rest of the crowd started cheering him to try drown out the boos.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Clearly a Scunthorpe fan :P

A mate of mine actually does support them. Coincidence?
    Augmerson wrote: »
    Very infuriating when you can't respond with "well yeah? well you're team are a bag of smelly socks!" when someone plays that neutral card.

King of the Neutral planet, me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »

We have a chance to win it all, but for me The aim is top 4.

We do not have a chance with our current squad, it has too many weaknesses for a genuine title challenge. Thats not the David Moyes effect, thats simply an objective assessment of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Isn't there a Kirby in Liverpool?

You post like a rival fan would in both the United and Liverpool superthreads. I'm just curious. It's kind of annoying that someone can do that with no comeback :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

twam2008 wrote: »
    Isn't there a Kirby in Liverpool?

Kirkby.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement