Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

twam2008 wrote: »
    Isn't there a Kirby in Liverpool?

Yeah. He was big enough back in the day but whenever you talk to him nowadays all he talks about is the gold ol' days on the Super Nintendo and Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

You post like a rival fan would in both the United and Liverpool superthreads. I'm just curious. It's kind of annoying that someone can do that with no comeback :pac:
    His points may be right then otherwise you wouldnt have to take a dig at his club ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

NeVeR wrote: »
    Did anyone find out the reason why the "fans" where cheering / jeering Fellaini last night ?

because there is a section of our "fans" who are f*cking idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You post like a rival fan would in both the United and Liverpool superthreads. I'm just curious. It's kind of annoying that someone can do that with no comeback :pac:

Well the comeback is easy. "I disagree Kirby because X,Y,Z......"

I'd rather get back to talking about the football tbh. My allegiances aren't that interesting.

To answer redbaron_99's question, I would think United will get 4th. Too many quality attacking players not to do it and I still fancy United to sign another centre half to help the weakness in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Kirkby.

It's the posh part of the Wirral :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I think hes just a realistic Liverpool fan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No, not really. It's more of the "would ya look at the quality of Arsenal, City and Chelsea's squad" effect.
    None of them are perfect, City are the obvious front runners there for my mind but are by no means perfect.

Chelsea have their share of weaknesses - Terry is getting up in years and their depth at CB is a little iffy just like us. It will be interesting to see how Fabregas fits in as their cms were not too inspiring last season, but more so up front they have considerable question marks: Torres who has been poor for a long time, Eto'o who is a kind of serviceable squad player but nothing more at 33 (36?) years of age, and a sign that they are stuck was getting Drogba back in who will be 37 by the end of the season. If Costa season last year was an anomaly or not is going to be of massive importance for them.

Arsenal adding Sanchez was pretty big, and Chambers is one to keep a eye on too, but they are not hugely worrying either. None of their starting back 4 really wows me, Wilshere is very overrated (though Ramsay came in leaps and bounds last year) and they lack a real goalscoring threat. Oil started last year fantastically but faded poorly (something g Arsenal themselves have had a habit of for a good while, blowing hot and cold) and his ability to be consistently effective over 90 minutes, well in week out remains a bit of a question mark. They are improved on where they were a few years back, but I would definitely not be overly worried about the overall quality of their squad.

All these teams also have Europe to worry about, we don't. As Liverpool showed last year that can be hugely important since you need far fewer players clicking together and in form.

Our squad is not fantastic and I would like to see 2-3 more signings and a few players offloaded, but I think some people underestimate it on the whole, largely kn the back of some of the desperate excuses that were made for Moyes towards the back end of last season (not saying you here, just in general).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We do not have a chance with our current squad, it has too many weaknesses for a genuine title challenge. Thats not the David Moyes effect, thats simply an objective assessment of the team.
    Where are these weaknesses?

Centre-back is the only position that really needs to be looked at, Rojo and one more willl sort that out. I think you are all set everywhere else and looking in great shape going into the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

case885 wrote: »
    His points may be right then otherwise you wouldnt have to take a dig at his club ;)

It's not that I want to take a dig at his club. I'm just saying it must be nice to have free reign.
    There's plenty of things I can't criticise other clubs or players for or I'd be a hypocrite.

I can't give out about City and PSG distorting the whole transfer market for example...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

eagle eye wrote: »

Centre-back is the only position that really needs to be looked at, Rojo and one more willl sort that out. I think you are all set everywhere else and looking in great shape going into the season.

Centre midfield needs strengthening, CB too and maybe a new winger for when we play 4-3-3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

There's a major weakness in central midfield - hadn't you noticed? :pac:
    Central defence is a serious weakness, with so many injury prone.
    Bit wary of the right wing back position too.

Billy86 wrote: »
    but more so up front they have considerable question marks: Torres who has been poor for a long time, Eto'o who is a kind of serviceable squad player but nothing more at 33 (36?) years of age, and a sign that they are stuck was getting Drogba back in who will be 37 by the end of the season.

They Have Diego Costa as well, who I think won't be too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Chelsea have their share of weaknesses - Terry is getting up in years and their depth at CB is a little iffy just like us. It will be interesting to see how Fabregas fits in as their cms were not too inspiring last season, but more so up front they have considerable question marks: Torres who has been poor for a long time, Eto'o who is a kind of serviceable squad player but nothing more at 33 (36?) years of age, and a sign that they are stuck was getting Drogba back in who will be 37 by the end of the season.
    Eto'o doesnt play for Chelsea anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Our centre midfield is not nearly good enough to sustain a title challenge, not in quality and not in consistency. Considering the importance of that position it cannot be emphasized enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's not that I want to take a dig at his club. I'm just saying it must be nice to have free reign.
    There's plenty of things I can't criticise other clubs or players for or I'd be a hypocrite.

I can't give out about City and PSG distorting the whole transfer market for example...

Will you could if you just ditched your allegiance to United.

You'd be free. Liberate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So I take it Rojo is 99% coming? I'm not delighted with him but at least he adds strength in depth at the back.

We are weak at CB, LB, RB and CM imo. The weakness varies by position.

Shaw and Young are our two LB's going by pre-season. Having Young as backup is far from ideal.

CB is a glaring one. If we are to play three CB's we literally only have three real starters in Smalling, Jones and Evans. I'd rather not have to rely on the reserves to come in if something goes awry.

We need a starting CM to partner Herrera. As it stands, our two starting midfielder's will be Herrera and Fletcher. The latter has been out for years with a life debilitating condition. While I am happy for him to start, as he has looked excellent in pre-season, it's not the best position to be in. Cleverley is not a starter. He is a player I am happy to have as a backup.

RB has been a problem for years. I love Rafael but he a nightmare for injuries. Smalling and Jones are not right backs and should not be a back up. I'd like an actual RB as cover.

With no European football it remains to be seen just how hollow the squad is. It could go great and injuries will be minimal but I'd rather not take that chance.

Keno wrote: »
    It could go great and injuries will be minimal but I'd rather not take that chance.

They won't be minimal though, I have no hesitation about saying that, injuries are a fact of life.

At some point we are going to have both Jones and Rafael injured, perhaps another defender along with them. At some point we are going to approach an important game with a defence of Shaw, Evans, Smalling, Blackett and Valencia. Its going to happen, and in time it will cost us.

Wouldn't the starting pairing be Herrera and Carrick as things stand?

Also Valencia appears to be the primary backup at RB.

• Advertisement

We need a starting CM to partner Herrera. As it stands, our two starting midfielder's will be Herrera and Fletcher. The latter has been out for years with a life debilitating condition. While I am happy for him to start, as he has looked excellent in pre-season, it's not the best position to be in. Cleverley is not a starter. He is a player I am happy to have as a backup.

Would Fletcher/Carrick/Felleini not be able to cover this role over the season? I'd love to see Vidal in there, but still think we'd do okay with what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

no as carrick is injured, fletcher will play

I agree with an earlier poster in that I think Carrick has seriously declined and will continue to decline even further. Like so many United players he will probably continue to look good against poor teams that give him time and space, but I have no confidence in him when it comes to the 'big' games.

bangkok wrote: »
    no as carrick is injured, fletcher will play
    I guess for the early part of the season, as referring more to the totality of the year.

That said, I highly highly doubt we are done in the window at CM whether it be Vidal, Blind (also for LB), both, or someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you could see it last night and over pre-season in general, we are still to easily ran through, exposing our defense too quickly and easily.
    We are highly vunerable to an absolute disaster if a centre back gets injured or, imo, herrera gets injured. I don't think Carrick or Fletcher will be good enough over the season, and I worry about their fitness.

I agree with an earlier poster in that I think Carrick has seriously declined and will continue to decline even further. Like so many United players he will probably continue to look good against poor teams that give him time and space, but I have no confidence in him when it comes to the 'big' games.
    It depends on if LvG grossly misses him like Moyes did, experience ting him to cover the ground of a Keane or younger Fletcher in my opinion. I think Louis has more sense than that, and we will see him in a role closer to what he played in the years before under Ferguson, where he played well. During that time he never relied in athleticism after all.

• Advertisement

twam2008 wrote: »
    Would Fletcher/Carrick/Felleini not be able to cover this role over the season? I'd love to see Vidal in there, but still think we'd do okay with what we have.

Fletcher will start. Carrick is injured. I actually forgot about Fellaini :pac:

just been talking to that work colleague again from Italy to get a view from that side (or should i call him "my mate from Turin) and he says that Vidal is now training on his own.

he also reckons the delay or hold up is from Uniteds side - Juve are holding out for more money. this one is going to run and run until deadline day, unless United stump up the cash quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

just been talking to that work colleague again from Italy to get a view from that side (or should i call him "my mate from Turin) and he says that Vidal is now training on his own.

Just out of interest, how does he know this?

Just out of interest, how does he know this?

didnt ask him sorry, was only talking for a brief moment.

i am assuming its whats being reported in the Italian press but ill ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

i am assuming its whats being reported in the Italian press but ill ask him.

That's what I'm wondering, just would have thought it would have popped up on twitter if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

he also reckons the delay or hold up is from Uniteds side - Juve are holding out for more money. this one is going to run and run until deadline day, unless United stump up the cash quickly.

Could this just not be some sort of knee injury rehab?

But if it is a disciplinary thing, then surely either Juve or him/his agent would be making something out of it to achieve whatever ends has led to it in the first place?

Shaw and Young are our two LB's going by pre-season. Having Young as backup is far from ideal.

CB is a glaring one. If we are to play three CB's we literally only have three real starters in Smalling, Jones and Evans. I'd rather not have to rely on the reserves to come in if something goes awry.

RB has been a problem for years. I love Rafael but he a nightmare for injuries. Smalling and Jones are not right backs and should not be a back up. I'd like an actual RB as cover.

With no European football it remains to be seen just how hollow the squad is. It could go great and injuries will be minimal but I'd rather not take that chance.
    You are moving to a 3-5-2 system, you need centre-backs as I said. At wing-back, not full-back, you have Shaw who is expected to do that job and then Young who for me fits that role perfectly and can play on either side. Rafael is well suited to that role too as is Valencia. All of them should be above average in that position.

You have two central midfield spots to fill and the players for those positions are Carrick, Herrera, Fletcher, Fellaini and Cleverley. You have an attacking midfield role with Mata and Kagawa as the leaders for that role. Herrera can also play there if required and you also have Januzaj who might also be able to cover at wing-back.

Up front you have Rooney, RVP and then Hernandez, Wellbeck and Zaha and a couple of other young players like Wilson.

I don't see any weakness in there anywhere besides centre-back where depth is an issue. It looks like you are going to get Rojo who adds depth at centre-back and wing-back as well. One more centre-back after that should see you all set imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Sounds like Wesley Sneijder all over again.

I don't see any weakness in there anywhere

Not so eagle eyed it would seem.

Why? What did I miss?

A couple of seasons back I came into this thread when people were saying the squad was not good enough. I said it was clearly good enough and that you would probably win the league and you did.

I see the squad as similar to back then but its impossible to predict which of five teams will actually win the league this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

You are moving to a 3-5-2 system, you need centre-backs as I said. At wing-back, not full-back, you have Shaw who is expected to do that job and then Young who for me fits that role perfectly and can play on either side. Rafael is well suited to that role too as is Valencia. All of them should be above average in that position.

You have two central midfield spots to fill and the players for those positions are Carrick, Herrera, Fletcher, Fellaini and Cleverley. You have an attacking midfield role with Mata and Kagawa as the leaders for that role. Herrera can also play there if required and you also have Januzaj who might also be able to cover at wing-back.

Up front you have Rooney, RVP and then Hernandez, Wellbeck and Zaha and a couple of other young players like Wilson.

I don't see any weakness in there anywhere besides centre-back where depth is an issue. It looks like you are going to get Rojo who adds depth at centre-back and wing-back as well. One more centre-back after that should see you all set imo.

Get out of here with your damned objective logic.....we need all the players all the new shiny ones....all our players are sh!t and new ones are required preferrably ones of some sort of latin origin with cool sounding names...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Augmerson wrote: »
    Will you could if you just ditched your allegiance to United.

You'd be free. Liberate yourself.

Sure I don't even support United. Just chat with these lads in here because they all hate Liverpool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Why? What did I miss?

A couple of seasons back I came into this thread when people were saying the squad was not good enough. I said it was clearly good enough and that you would probably win the league and you did.

I see the squad as similar to back then but its impossible to predict which of five teams will actually win the league this time around.

We have plenty of weaknesses is what hes suggesting. Lack of depth at CB, or PL experience at LWB, coupled with under performing and injury prone midfielders.

Why? What did I miss?

You listed all the names of players who could indeed play the positions you stated, but we must have very different opinions on the actual quality of those players you listed.

• Advertisement

Btw, Michael Keane was excellent on loan at Blackburn last year. All my friends who attend matches every week were going around with this notion that his performances might slip under the radar and we might be able to buy him from United for a low enough fee. Its funny the notions people get at times. Anyways I personally think he is good enough to make the step up already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Are people convinced that Young and Valencia can be good wing backs?

I mean they're 29 and they've never played the position before but there seems to be an opinion that because they played a handful of pre-season games against teams all in inferior condition to us that they will now be more than serviceable at competitive standards.

I think we're massively underestimating professional football teams if we fool ourselves into thinking that they won't be exploited to some degree or another, not least because they'll be playing in a team which is also new to the system. We should be looking for cover at both left and right wing back tbh because there is the possibility that they're only getting a game now because their is no one to play there other than Shaw and Rafael and there is no other position for either Young or Valencia to play in a 352.

Anyways I personally think he is good enough to make the step up already.

and so do i.....but perhaps beside a world class center back and not Phil Jones and/or in a back 3....its a disaster waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Juventus are in Australia at the moment and the Sydney morning herald ran this story the other day...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/paul-pogba-hints-juventus-teammate-arturo-vidal-may-leave-club-for-epls-manchester-united-20140809-102c3m.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Daley Blind has been spotted house-hunting in the north west as he closes in on a move to Manchester United

From the Evening Standard.

They didn't say where in the north west though? Donegal? Liverpool? Burnley?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Coat22 wrote: »
    Daley Blind has been spotted house-hunting in the north west as he closes in on a move to Manchester United

Ahh the good ol' house hunt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ahh the good ol' house hunt :D

Sure don't forget Vidal house is still up for sale :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Coat22 wrote: »

Alaska ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

bangkok wrote: »
    Juventus are in Australia at the moment and the Sydney morning herald ran this story the other day...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/paul-pogba-hints-juventus-teammate-arturo-vidal-may-leave-club-for-epls-manchester-united-20140809-102c3m.html
    That story is nearly a week old iirc. Maybe the Sydney papers are just recycling or something but it's not new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement