Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ahh the good ol' house hunt :D

The funny thing about house hunting is I’ve worked for multi nationals that have brought people in from overseas frequently and not once have I ever seen any of them “house hunting” before they begin their new job.

The normal way these things work is for the new arrival to be either put up in a hotel or a short term house letting and then, once settled in, begin the house hunting with an agency of some kind. Never seen it work the other way around as its always suggested with footballers…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Are people convinced that Young and Valencia can be good wing backs?

I mean they're 29 and they've never played the position before but there seems to be an opinion that because they played a handful of pre-season games against teams all in inferior condition to us that they will now be more than serviceable at competitive standards.

I think we're massively underestimating professional football teams if we fool ourselves into thinking that they won't be exploited to some degree or another, not least because they'll be playing in a team which is also new to the system. We should be looking for cover at both left and right wing back tbh because there is the possibility that they're only getting a game now because their is no one to play there other than Shaw and Rafael and there is no other position for either Young or Valencia to play in a 352.

They're both well capable of doing a serviceable, if unspectacular job in there. In a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 the wing backs shouldn't be heavily relied upon for defensive duties, the bulk of that responsibility falls to the 3 CBs and one of the midfielders. They'll need to get around a bit more but that just comes down to fitness.

Shaw and Rafael should be first choice anyway so I think they're fine as backup, rotation options or to change things up a bit as subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Not sure what to make of this guy but i think he tweeted about the RVP deal long before anyone knew....

Check out his last few tweets:

https://twitter.com/KingJonno12

Probably just more twitter bullsh1t..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That story is nearly a week old iirc. Maybe the Sydney papers are just recycling or something but it's not new.

I did say it was the other day..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Twitter speculation from "ITK" people should be outlawed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Soldie wrote: »

Twitter in general should be outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Soldie wrote: »

Well this is a Gossip\Rumour thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Twitter in general should be outlawed.

and anyone quoting twitter should be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

brinty wrote: »
    and anyone quoting twitter should be banned

I should be banned about a thousand times if thats the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

and anyone quoting fake twitter accounts or known bullshi*ters should be banned

fixed that for you...not everybody on there is a spoofer and transfer muppet. people who are always giving out about it, normally just follow the wrong people.

if you follow the right people, most of the rubbish disappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Very impressed by Jones last night i know it's only pre season he marshaled the defence well. If he stays fit i am hoping this season could be the making of him.

Blackett was a breath of fresh air confident on the ball charging out of defence and building from the back. He got caught once or twice though but he is young and learning.

Smalling i thought was good also he made a very good interception when Blackett got caught out of position.

Keane done alright also.

Evans should be first choice anyway i am confident in him leading the defence.

The big question is does LVG risk going into the season with these 5 and maybe Rojo. The main three are injury prone and Keane and Blackett are inexperienced.

Personally i believe a full season of Smalling and Jones playing week in week out will turn them into very good players. They have the raw talent they just need to play football. I would be happy with Evans, Smalling and Jones being our first choice defenders. But as pointed out already it is a risk if injuries build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

One thing I did notice last night was how vocal Herrera seems to be in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Are people convinced that Young and Valencia can be good wing backs?

I mean they're 29 and they've never played the position before...
    I do worry about Young for that reason (among others...) but Valencia has played RB on a fair few occasions for us over the last year or two. He might not be ideal but while we are (hopwfully) overhauling in other areas he should be able to provide decent cover there for Rafael, a player more experienced and proven than Shaw on the other side.

Again it is an advantage of not being stuck in the Europa League this year since we only have 39-44 meaningful games this year, depending on how we do in the FA Cup (and with the emphasis on at least a top 4 finish, even those ones may take a lower priority) and will have a lot more 6-7 day breaks between games to bolt.

Young as the primary backup on the other side however, does not inspire me. As much as I am a fan of the Shaw signing, at his age we should be looking to have someone who can at least push him for a first team spot even if Shaw is in good form. Evra would have been ideal for that short term, Blind is our best option to bring in especially with his versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Not sure about the Rojo lad refusing to train, smell of Tevez off him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

bangkok wrote: »
    I did say it was the other day..

Fair enough, but it was discussed here a few days ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in the unlikely event that we were to sign Rojo, Blind and Di Maria, how would people view that as a summer?

1 - excellent summer, guaranteed title challengers and £140m very well spent.
    2- good summer, but needing alot more investment next year - will do for now.
    3 - underwhelming considering what could have been bought with that money and still lacking at least 2 top class central players

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

in the unlikely event that we were to sign Rojo, Blind and Di Maria, how would people view that as a summer?

3 - underwhelming considering what could have been bought with that money and still lacking at least 2 top class central players

1 for me.

a CB, a LB, a guy to cover both, a CM and DiMaria who is a top, top player would be brilliant window in my opinion. Definitly have a first team and squad to challenge for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Between 1 and 2 for me. I'd prefer Vidal to Di Maria as that would mean all the problem areas are fully addressed.

However, if I was sure Strootman was coming next year, I'd be delighted to have Di Maria now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    1 for me.

a CB, a LB, a guy to cover both, a CM and DiMaria who is a top, top player would be brilliant window in my opinion. Definitly have a first team and squad to challenge for the title.

Add that to a new manager who so far (I know its only friendlies) looks to be getting better use out of Mata, Young, maybe others who looked out of sorts last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

They're both well capable of doing a serviceable, if unspectacular job in there. In a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 the wing backs shouldn't be heavily relied upon for defensive duties, the bulk of that responsibility falls to the 3 CBs and one of the midfielders. They'll need to get around a bit more but that just comes down to fitness.

Shaw and Rafael should be first choice anyway so I think they're fine as backup, rotation options or to change things up a bit as subs.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I do worry about Young for that reason (among others...) but Valencia has played RB on a fair few occasions for us over the last year or two. He might not be ideal but while we are (hopwfully) overhauling in other areas he should be able to provide decent cover there for Rafael, a player more experienced and proven than Shaw on the other side.

Again it is an advantage of not being stuck in the Europa League this year since we only have 39-44 meaningful games this year, depending on how we do in the FA Cup (and with the emphasis on at least a top 4 finish, even those ones may take a lower priority) and will have a lot more 6-7 day breaks between games to bolt.

Young as the primary backup on the other side however, does not inspire me. As much as I am a fan of the Shaw signing, at his age we should be looking to have someone who can at least push him for a first team spot even if Shaw is in good form. Evra would have been ideal for that short term, Blind is our best option to bring in especially with his versatility.

Not to be overly negative, but I just think too much stock has been placed on their performances in some meaningless games.

If they have to play in a full tempo competitive premier league game (especially against top 5 opposition) they will struggle big time. Valencia has played some time at RB but more often than not has just shown why it was never his natural position. I'd have my reservations as to whether either himself or Young will then offer enough going forward to cancel out these shortcomings elsewhere.

It really is a shame Evra was allowed to go as he'd still have given you 15 good games a season as imo being run into the ground with no threat to his place in the team was a lot to do with his bad performances these last two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Coat22 wrote: »

The funny thing about house hunting is I’ve worked for multi nationals that have brought people in from overseas frequently and not once have I ever seen any of them “house hunting” before they begin their new job.

The normal way these things work is for the new arrival to be either put up in a hotel or a short term house letting and then, once settled in, begin the house hunting with an agency of some kind. Never seen it work the other way around as its always suggested with footballers…..

I'm going to have to change my boards theme back to the standard if i've to read your dark posts anymore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Bu6zEXPCUAAm03U.jpg

Two for me as it'd be a very good Summer but not good enough to have us realistically winning the league.

We'd still lack a quality CM and then a top quality CB. I really feel we've lost out on some quality signings like Kroos because they've ended up choosing elsewhere and not that we pulled out as it were, but if we had been successful in landing the likes of him then I'd be much more positive about title aspirations.

2- good summer, but needing alot more investment next year - will do for now, summer, guaranteed title challengers and £140m very well spent.
    =================================================
    FYP

2 for me..

I think the next 3 windows will be crucial to where we're going for the next 5 years.

if in a years time we'd those players and added Strootman and another top quality CB and clear the deadwood from the squad i'd be a lot more happy and assuming LvG goes after the top level players who Bayern, Real and Barca are looking to sign too

As fergie proved in his early glory days you've got to add quality year on year and thats what we should be doing from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Bu6zEXPCUAAm03U.jpg

OMG !! Is that a pair of Beats by Dre??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

In between 1 and 2 for me i think our attacking options are great but i still worry about our defence and how it would leak goals. Still think a really strong experienced centre back is needed for the middle of the 3 centre backs as im not sure over the 3 we have already and haven't seen rojo play too much

Lads, if we go back to Dortmund and they say no on Hummels
    Bid for Subotic??

I miss the serb in the team

Nevin Subotic
    he'll make you his f***n bitch....

I can see that ringing round old trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

TheTownie wrote: »

Naa he got them free with his new JVC CQ-22 walkman.

TheTownie wrote: »

Cant be, footballers dont use such awful looking and average sounding equipment. :pac:
    Lads, if we go back to Dortmund and they say no on Hummels
    Bid for Subotic??

It be like going into a shoping center to shop in M&S and actually doing your shopping in LIDL istead.

(Though I do love LIDL food.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'm predicting the following team to start on Saturday.

DDG
    ----Jones----Smalling----Blackett----
    Young
    James
    Herrera----Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Chico

The players in Bold are the weak points that Swansea will almost certainly target. It looks really weak down our left side. Young could also be gotten at if they double up on him. So I do think we'll concede, so our lads up top need to hit the ground running.

Edit: if you told me 3 months ago that we'd be starting the season with that line-up, I'd have been might p*ssed off.

Shaw out one month... hamstring.

WONDERFUL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

WONDERFUL!

oh god just want we wanted

Is this confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm predicting the following team to start on Saturday.

DDG
    ----Jones----Smalling----Blackett----
    Young
    James
    Herrera----Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Chico

The players in Bold are the weak points that Swansea will almost certainly target. It looks really weak down our left side. Young could also be gotten at if they double up on him. So I do think we'll concede, so our lads up top need to hit the ground running.

Edit: if you told me 3 months ago that we'd be starting the season with that line-up, I'd have been might p*ssed off.

Welbeck and Evans should be back for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

WONDERFUL!

**** sake....

Welbeck and Evans should be back for the game.

I wouldn't count on Evans. We could do with Danny's pace for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

WONDERFUL!

Bad news obviously but looking at the fixtures, I think we'll just about manage without him.... Hopefully.

WONDERFUL!

is Daley Blind signed yet???
    get it bloody done now..

shipping out 3 left backs in 6 months and brining in 1 was always a crazy thing to do

sky88 wrote: »

Is this confirmed?
    Apparently so, its on SSN.

Between 1&2 for me. We'd have addressed some problems rather than ignored them but would still be WIP. We would still need a top class CB and CM but at least we'd have improved vastly on whats there.

PS Does this font / theme work???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So of the five senior defenders on the books, 3 are injured.

But sure why would we need to have signed some defenders by now, sep 1st is plenty of time cause the first 6 games are easy, right?

Another fine mess the club has only itself to blame for. An utter shambles.

• Advertisement

Time to get that Rojo deal done so, and tell him to get back to bloody training so he's fit enough to play LWB for a month.

Anyone thinking that he's been fast tracked because Shaw got injured in the last few days?

WONDERFUL!

Time to stick Young in the FF team

Coat22 wrote: »
    Between 1&2 for me. We'd have addressed some problems rather than ignored them but would still be WIP. We would still need a top class CB and CM but at least we'd have improved vastly on whats there.

PS Does this font / theme work???

Perfect (for me anyway)

perfect-09232012134652000000.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

When's Vidal signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

sky88 wrote: »

Is this confirmed?

BREAKING: Manchester United defender Luke Shaw ruled out for up to a month through injury. #SSNHQ
    — Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) August 13, 2014

When's Vidal signing?

every day of the week according to a certain poster with a mate in JP Morgan...

When's Vidal signing?

Ask Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United really is a joke of a club. Season not started for us and already we have allowed ourselves to fall into an absolute crisis through horrid squad management.

1 right back, injured.
    1left back, injured.
    3 centre backs, 1 injured.
    2 reliable centre mids, 1 injured.

Clap, clap, clap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

You'd have to wonder why some of the posters here don't just give up supporting United. It's an endless stream of negativity, pessimism and good old fashioned moaning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement