Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

twam2008 wrote: »
    That's too simplistic a view, are you saying you wouldn't have taken Lovren, Origi, Lallana? My point is we seem to be struggling to sign even average players, I doubt Cuadrado or Rojo are going to set the premiership alight. Blind looks good, but hardly stellar, we don't appear to be aiming too high, yet still can't get any of them.

Fair enough Lovren but why would United want Lallana or Origi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Given that Liverpool are considering purchasing their 9th player, I think this argument seems to wear thin, there has to be plenty of players that would be happy to come to Manchester and earn an absolute fortune for doing so, why are our transfer dealings so consistantly complicated or over priced compared to other clubs? Definitely think we need to look at the transfer policy at the club at this stage.

United could go out and buy 9 players tomorrow. Look at the players they have signed.
    The general consensus on Lallana when he was being touted as a possible United signing was that he's a really good player but we should be aiming higher than that. The same could be said for Lovren. There would be uproar if Lambert was brought in. Then the rest would be derided as being squad-filler and not improving the starting 11 whether they would or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri
    It's Nani the other player Juventus openly requested to Manchester United. So Juventus will let Vidal move for 45-48m€ + Chicharito+ Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Could it be a case that we may need to adopt the director of football approach now that we probably won't have a long term manager in place?

2 summers in a row seem to have been ruined by the new manager not wanting the targets lined up from previous manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri

that would make the entire transfer worth around €70million - I cant see United agreeing to it. From a player perspective I wouldn't mind though, Chico and Nani out with Vidal in is just fine with me - I just can't see United spending 45million on top of the players - unless they are loan moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So this thread lately

Some posters insist on moaning and ranting and saying we're fooked, over and over again...
    Others are like in the dark saying ah we're grand LVG is the man and Young is a new signing...
    Moaners reply sarcastically and\or repeat insisting we're fooked and take a staff at the "we'll be grand" brigade
    Then the likes of me analyze it and post crap like the above (i hate myself)

rinse, repeat * 1486277 times

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

United could go out and buy 9 players tomorrow. Look at the players they have signed.
    The general consensus on Lallana when he was being touted as a possible United signing was that he's a really good player but we should be aiming higher than that. The same could be said for Lovren. There would be uproar if Lambert was brought in. Then the rest would be derided as being squad-filler and not improving the starting 11 whether they would or not.

Evidently not, as I've said, we seem to be struggling to sign average players as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"It's Nani the other player Juventus openly requested to Manchester United. So Juventus will let Vidal move for 45-48m€ + Chicharito+ Nani"

terrible deal for united if they push ahead with it, nani and chico worth a combined 30m and they want 45+ as well?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I think most people's grievances now are to do with the fact that we don't appear to be able to work through our ''deals'' quick enough i.e. when it becomes apparent one player does want to join us, then move on to the next player on the list in that position.

I know this means we don't end up buying the top quality CB or CM we all wanted but by letting so many players go squad depth has become a very real issue for us and so it is by necessity that we should be working through a list of targets a lot quicker than we currently are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my general feeling on Liverpool is that their signings are a big pile of meh, but their need this summer was not as great as ours IMO - they have not replaced Suarez yet tho and ive a feeling they will.

i think we will finish ahead of them this year, though right now thats only depending on us signing 2 or 3 good players in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Unearthly wrote: »
    Could it be a case that we may need to adopt the director of football approach now that we probably won't have a long term manager in place?

2 summers in a row seem to have been ruined by the new manager not wanting the targets lined up from previous manager.

Its not really even a question. Utd should have appointed one the moment Fergie left because Fergie's longevity would never be emulated.

Evidently not, as I've said, we seem to be struggling to sign average players as it is.

United would have no problem going out and buying a load of young, up and coming players that come with a risk.

Shaw and Herrera jumped at the chance, it's getting the bigger name players in that's the problem. By all accounts Rojo is mad to come but unfortunately it's messy. If United want a player that is also wanted by Barca, Real, Bayern etc. there isn't a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Trilla wrote: »
    So this thread lately

Some posters insist on moaning and ranting and saying we're fooked, over and over again...
    Others are like in the dark saying ah we're grand LVG is the man and Young is a new signing...
    Moaners reply sarcastically and\or repeat insisting we're fooked and take a staff at the "we'll be grand" brigade
    Then the likes of me analyze it and post crap like the above (i hate myself)

rinse, repeat * 1486277 times

Who the hell said Young was like a new signing? Surely they were taking the whiz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    "It's Nani the other player Juventus openly requested to Manchester United. So Juventus will let Vidal move for 45-48m€ + Chicharito+ Nani"

terrible deal for united if they push ahead with it, nani and chico worth a combined 30m and they want 45+ as well?!

It's not a terrible deal.

We are signing a player for a crucial position of the team. Then offloading 2 players who rarely start in positions we have loads in?

Them 2 leaving would pay for his wages.

It's not like we need the few million they would bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

United would have no problem going out and buying a load of young, up and coming players that come with a risk.

Shaw and Herrera jumped at the chance, it's getting the bigger name players in that's the problem. By all accounts Rojo is mad to come but unfortunately it's messy. If United want a player that is also wanted by Barca, Real, Bayern etc. there isn't a hope.

I'd have absolutely no problem with United focusing on young up and coming players, go out and get the likes of Rojo and Carvalho instead of pissing about all summer on Vermalean and Vidal.

• Advertisement

my general feeling on Liverpool is that their signings are a big pile of meh, but their need this summer was not as great as ours IMO - they have not replaced Suarez yet tho and ive a feeling they will.

i think we will finish ahead of them this year, though right now thats only depending on us signing 2 or 3 good players in the next two weeks.

That's what I'm getting at. I don't want a big pile of meh, if it takes until the last day of the transfer window to get the right players that the manager wants then so be it. I'll be as pissed off as anybody else if it doesn't happen.

Liverpool won't find it easy to get a top class striker. It's just so difficult to convince the best in Europe to come to dreary NW England when they have so many other options. The same problems we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

so, I think we can forget about getting Rojo - its going to end up in the courts before he ends up anywhere other than sporting!

Doubt it, say Sporting will back down...whether we will still have an interest then or not will depend on whether we have got someone else by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

We should rename this thread to - Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Groundhog Day Thread

Seriously though, moaning and complaining about transfers (or the lack of) is just pointless and it's like giving out about the weather, unless you're a Bayern Munich fan who happens to own a piece of the club.

I think Van Gall will bag the league in his debut season. If we get back into the CL next season then I'll start moaning about the lack of transfers. I expect a few more squad players but at this stage I'm not hopeful about any big name signings. For all the talk about x and y have strengthened I think people are underestimating the value of a really good team spirit. I can't remember the last time I've seen all the players (who don't appear to be heading out the door) looking so happy.

You only need to look at what Van Gall did with the Dutch squad to realise that he's more than capable of getting results with squads that are written off as possible contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

v3ttel wrote: »
    Who the hell said Young was like a new signing? Surely they were taking the whiz?

Ha probably

But he is giving 110% and adapting better than i thought, plus his crossing seems back to his best

I'd have absolutely no problem with United focusing on young up and coming players, go out and get the likes of Rojo and Carvalho instead of pissing about all summer on Vermalean and Vidal.

It's a risk, I think you need a happy medium. Rojo and Carvalho are a bit more established than what I was getting at with the Liverpool comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sure, give them Nani, Chicarito and €45 million for Vidal. But make sure they hand over CB as well.

Job done, summer sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The apparent protracted nature of any of the deals we are touted as being in for is only so if you believe everything you read in the papers/twitter which you would be mad to.

These guys are just speculating as to what's happening as they haven't clue, and kudos to the United regime on that. If you lap up all the speculation, you're bound to get frustrated.

The deals we have done have been quick and painless with no media furore, the problem as I see it is we haven't done enough business but I believe it'll get done.

Just sit back, wait and see and don't worry yourselves about Jamie jacksons neccessity to write a United transfer article per day....he and his ilk know no more than you and me, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

ericzeking wrote: »
    The apparent protracted nature of any of the deals we are touted as being in for is only so if you believe everything you read in the papers/twitter which you would be mad to.

These guys are just speculating as to what's happening as they haven't clue, and kudos to the United regime on that. If you lap up all the speculation, you're bound to get frustrated.

The deals we have done have been quick and painless with no media furore, the problem as I see it is we haven't done enough business but I believe it'll get done.

Just sit back, wait and see and don't worry yourselves about Jamie jacksons neccessity to write a United transfer article per day....he and his ilk know no more than you and me, imo.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Has anybody got a link to the Delanet article thats not on ESPN or can you reprint here.

Internet police have ESPN blocked here.

They are paid based on what they know - they know a lot more than the average football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

there is not one fan right now who if they were being openly honest, would say they are happy with the way the club has done business this summer.

Is there anyone on here who IS happy with our transfer window business so far?

I'm sure as hell not, but if the business gets done by the close of the window I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief.

I would be shocked if Utd don't sign more players.

They are paid based on what they know - they know a lot more than the average football fan.

They didn't have a clue Herrerra was happening....a 30 million pound transfer to the biggest club in the world.

That's enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

bangkok wrote: »

Don't care about money at this stage. Question is would Nani or Chico improve our first 11 and would Vidal improve our first 11

On another note i think our big problem now and has been for years is that Manchester doesn't seem to be an attractive enough proposition when pitted against the cities of Madrid, Munich, Barcelona or dare i say it London.

We more often than not get drawn into a long drawn out transfer as the player drags his heels hoping that the other clubs step in. Plenty of cases where we appeared to have the deal done only for it to change at the 11th hour.

At the end of the day these players are millionaires at the top level very young and lifestyle is as important to them as the club they play for. A young lad in Argentina or Spain doesn't grow up one day hoping to play for Man Utd unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Couldn't be more wrong here. Herrera and Shaw were subject to intense media speculation since they first came on our radar.
    And it took months to get the deals done. And cost us a lot of money.
    The only reason they could keep it quiet with those two, was because the deals had been essentially months earlier. It was just a matter of LVG giving the nod and the papers being signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Coat22 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a link to the Delanet article thats not on ESPN or can you reprint here.

Here.

• Advertisement

Couldn't be more wrong here. Herrera and Shaw were subject to intense media speculation since they first came on our radar.
    And it took months to get the deals done. And cost us a lot of money.
    The only reason they could keep it quiet with those two, was because the deals had been essentially months earlier. It was just a matter of LVG giving the nod and the papers being signed.

The media buzz around Herrerra was last season.... this year, it came completely out of the blue.

Shaw was done quickly. It only appears to you that it was drawn out because he went off for the world cup and it was written about daily by goons trying to fill pages....the reality is the whole thing was likely agreed and done and he just did the signing on and photographs when he got back.

Manchester United make history with ‘inspirational’ new signing
    It is not every day that a huge club makes a groundbreaking signing, but that is exactly what has happened at Old Trafford - all while making one young man's dream come true.

Manchester United have hired an important new member of staff in Sohail Rehman, who has become the first ever wheelchair-bound football coach at professional level.

Rehman, after a stint working in Sunday league football, has become a coach of elite footballers after having gained his badges.

The 22-year-old, who hails from Keighley in Yorkshire, has been signed up by United to work specifically with the club's academy. It is a crucial role that Rehman will adopt, looking after the young players of the future and coaching the potential stars of the next generation.

"Big thanks to David Moyes," Sohail told the Telegraph and Argus. "I did a coaching session at United and after that he was basically saying how impressed he was with me. He wanted to get me on board with the club - he started everything off."

A United spokesman said: "We are absolutely delighted to welcome Sohail to Manchester United, his determination to reach a unique role in football is an example to us all.

"In the face of great adversity Sohail has shown that hard work and determination counts for everything in overcoming obstacles. Since coming to the training ground, everyone at Manchester United has welcomed Sohail with open arms."

Club legend Nicky Butt said: "It is an amazing achievement and speaking to him he comes across as a young man who knows what he wants to achieve.

"It is magnificent now that he will be sharing these great qualities with young players of the future and I am sure they will be inspired by all that he has achieved."

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/manchester-united-history-signing-071418552.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Unearthly wrote: »

so instead of the manager having players he wants that fits his system hes just given players? god no.

manager should have final say on all players signed IMO. it undermines the manager. ideally we wont be changing managers every season even if the manager only serves 3-5 years and it will allow the manager to build a team he wants.

abramovich going out and buying his players is what drove jose out of chelsea first time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Coat22 wrote: »

Mods dont like us quoting full articles i believe but i will summarise it
    • We're looking at Benatia Now
    • LVG expects 2 out of 3 defensive targets: Blind Rojo Benatia
    • LVG is fustrated at lack of Transfers wanted everything done by friday
    • LVG isnt happy about vermaelen going to Barca
    • Vidal is slow but is understood to be difficult to deal with Juve and theres interest in Di maria
    • Carvalhio/Strootman are to be looked at if Vidal falls through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

As expected shaw 3, herrera 21 and januzaj 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

TheTownie wrote: »

Good man - cheers
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

The media buzz around Herrerra was last season.... this year, it came completely out of the blue.

Shaw was done quickly. It only appears to you that it was drawn out because he went off for the world cup and it was written about daily by goons trying to fill pages....the reality is the whole thing was likely agreed and done and he just did the signing on and photographs when he got back.

Herrera was subject to intense speculation at the end of last summer. The negotiations then went through the season.
    Shaw was constantly linked with United all season long....

The reality is not that they were done quickly at all. Only the final stage of making it official went quickly. The reason it was done quiet was because there was no bid after bid in the summer. The agreements were already in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They aren't paid by what they know, they are paid based on how fictional they can deliver an article. All creative writing.

I don't think anything Jamie Jackson has said so far has came true.

RasTa wrote: »
    They aren't paid by what they know, they are paid based on how fictional they can deliver an article. All creative writing.

They're clearly just paid based on how many people want to read what they write. How true or not it is doesn't come in to it.

• Advertisement

anybody able to give an honest assessment of Benatia?

cost £30million apparently so he would want to be good. but it begs the question, is he 3rd choice (after Hummels and Vermaelen) or if he isnt, why have we only started to act now on him and not since May when it was clear we needed at least 2 top class defenders.

They're paid to supply stories. If there's none they won't turn around and say "sorry, no news today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They're clearly just paid based on how many people want to read what they write. How true or not it is doesn't come in to it.
    They're paid to supply stories. If there's none they won't turn around and say "sorry, no news today"

That's pretty much what I said. Just creative writing who's topic is football.

That's pretty much what I said. Just creative writing who's topic is football.

Yeah I wasn't contradicting you, but +1 posts are frowned upon.

the cynicism and dismissal of every football journalist is hilarious.

i 100% disagree here. i have a very good friend who is a journalist (rasta will confirm this as would many other posters who know me) and ive been out with him on nights out when he gets info on certain things that are happening, ive been out with him when he had to go home and rewrite an article he had already submitted as he got new info, which changed the entire piece, etc etc .

they are paid for quality, if they write s*ite they wont last long. they write on what they are told. a club for example will have 10-20 targets every summer, but may only be able to land two or three. maybe 8-10 of those will make the media, but just because some of them dont happen, doesnt mean the sources were lying. then add into the make up, that you have agents looking for contracts or wage rises causing trouble, but its not just the press that get led astray here, its chairmans, boards and entire clubs.

and based on this, its why i tend to take what the proper reports out there in good faith. (ie those who dont work for the sun, tribalB*llix and those ilk.).

of course you have the spoofers who cover their arses with everything, but as i said you can spot them and ignore quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

cost £30million apparently so he would want to be good. but it begs the question, is he 3rd choice (after Hummels and Vermaelen) or if he isnt, why have we only started to act now on him and not since May when it was clear we needed at least 2 top class defenders.

Hey, this isn't championship manager mate, you can't just bid on two players at the same time.

anybody able to give an honest assessment of Benatia?

IMO Benatia is just awesome signing. He is better suited to us than Hummels. Also I don't think he is 3rd choice, just that he is out of our reach maybe as City were trying to sign him but failed to complete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I do think Miguel Delaney is a spoofer however, leaves his articles wide open for most possibilities

its something that has really taken over this place in the last 12 months. it pretty much is -

journalist writes a good story about the club = he is great.
    journalist writes a story that portrays incompetence = he is a **** and a spoofer.

i 100% disagree here. i have a very good friend who is a journalist (rasta will confirm this as would many other posters who know me) and ive been our with him on nights out when he gets info on certain things that are happening, ive been out with him when he had to go home and rewrite an article he had already submitted as he got new info, which changed the entire piece, etc etc .

they are paid for quality, if they write s*ite they wont last long. they write on what they are told. a club for example will have 10-20 targets every summer, but may only be able to land two or three. maybe 8-10 of those will make the media, but just because some of them dont happen, doesnt mean the sources were lying. then add into the make up, that you have agents looking for contracts or wage rises causing trouble, but its not just the press that get led astray here, its chairmans, boards and entire clubs.

and based on this, its why i tend to take what the proper reports out there in good faith. (ie those who dont work for the sun, tribalB*llix and those ilk.

of course you have the spoofers who cover their arses with everything, but as i said you can spot them and ignore quickly.

What I said doesn't in any way contradict this. If your articles are crap, you won't get paid. If people are reading them, you'll keep your job, regardless of whether or not there's any truth to them.

I'm not saying sports journalists never have the inside scoop, of course they do, because that's how you write interesting articles. But when they don't have a scoop, they still have a column to write, so they start making assumptions and piecing together a plausible story based on guesswork, which is pretty much no better than what we all do on here day in, day out.

So while it's worth keeping abreast of the news and having an idea what is happening out there, you also have to remain pretty cynical because a decent portion of the time, they have little to no exclusive knowledge. That's why I have a serious problem with people saying "x said his secret source said y, so the club have f*cked up" for example.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement