Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Corvo wrote: »
    I do think Miguel Delaney is a spoofer however, leaves his articles wide open for most possibilities
    So you think United have 1 or 2 targets - as opposed to a number of targets. fair enough, you think United are even worse ran than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

anybody able to give an honest assessment of Benatia?

cost £30million apparently so he would want to be good. but it begs the question, is he 3rd choice (after Hummels and Vermaelen) or if he isnt, why have we only started to act now on him and not since May when it was clear we needed at least 2 top class defenders.

Ive never seen him play but the roma fan i work with likes him (but he also liked lamela:pac:)

he moved to roma for 13mill with 2 players so his fee lasts season was 16-18mill at most

I cant answer what our priorities are it can be 1 or 2 defenders depending on how you look at our formation being ie 433, we need 1 imo or 532 we need 2.

Imo we were looking at 4-3-3 if we can get a suitable player in mid but the 5-3-2 is needed for injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Don't care about money at this stage. Question is would Nani or Chico improve our first 11 and would Vidal improve our first 11

On another note i think our big problem now and has been for years is that Manchester doesn't seem to be an attractive enough proposition when pitted against the cities of Madrid, Munich, Barcelona or dare i say it London.

We more often than not get drawn into a long drawn out transfer as the player drags his heels hoping that the other clubs step in. Plenty of cases where we appeared to have the deal done only for it to change at the 11th hour.

At the end of the day these players are millionaires at the top level very young and lifestyle is as important to them as the club they play for. A young lad in Argentina or Spain doesn't grow up one day hoping to play for Man Utd unfortunately

probably not but the same young lad doesn't want to play for Chelsea arsenal or Liverpool either, just the way it is, they grew up in a hotter country, their native language is probably Spanish and lets face it, Madrid and Barcelona are probably the biggest 2 teams on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

its something that has really taken over this place in the last 12 months. it pretty much is -

journalist writes a good story about the club = he is great.
    journalist writes a story that portrays incompetence = he is a **** and a spoofer.

Not really in fairness, just disagree that they know something we don't and they get paid by what they know. I can't even think of a good story about the club written by a journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

its something that has really taken over this place in the last 12 months. it pretty much is -

journalist writes a story that portrays incompetence = he is a **** and a spoofer.

It's not though, these sorts of discussions have been happening here and elsewhere for years. And the second part of your post could easily be turned around and directed right back at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hey, this isn't championship manager mate, you can't just bid on two players at the same time.

eh? of course you can, though it appears that at United we cant - that needs to change in the next two weeks tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also - the simple fact is Miguel writes very few transfer related stories. He general does opinion and research pieces, or match reports. So the idea that he writes fictional stuff he made up just doesn't sit with me - why would he bother his hole to do so when he is already getting paid for the other stuff.

If he was pumping out transfer stuff every day your argument would have weight (I would still disagree as Miguel is not someone I have know to lie in such a way, in the years I knew him) - but as his transfer stuff is fairly irregular I just don't see why he would irregularly chose to lie.

And the second part of your post could easily be turned around and directed right back at you.

in what way? i dont have many (if any) problems with the press (which is what we are talking about here) apart from what i have said apart the likes of Sun and co writers.

if you are suggesting that i only believe the negative stories about the club, then most of whats been written last year or so hasnt exactly been positive has it?

im quite happy to believe for example that we were genuinely interested in the likes of Kroos and it was LVG that pulled the deal, as opposed to the club f*cking it up.

now of course it could be lies, but i dont really blame the club for it, LVG perhaps just didnt think he would fit in (not saying we would have got him by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hey, remember that time we signed a midfielder.

That was fun, we should do it again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Not at all.

Hom many journos reported about Shaw/Herrera getting done that quickly? Nothing was reported around the time it happened.

Instead they were running their usual clutching at straws for any target available. Cesc, Kroos, Sneijder etc etc

98% of transfer articles are complete guess work and fabrication, people realise this and that ESPN article is no exceptions.

Its funny you try to accuse people of reading into articles in their favor when everything negative reported is a "look i was right about Woodward, he is a joker" scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My main issue with Delaneys article is his claims of sources telling him all these stories. Why are these sources not giving anything to the Manchester based journos but telling London based Delaney everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Just seen my posts from last night... Many apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I dont think Delaney is a spoofer at at as had been said above and im not one of the "Doom Merchants" on here

Delaney is a solid journo with a decent source of info but **** hits the fan sometimes (Thiago) and it can make a journo look like a spoofer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah I remember it like it was only 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

No it wasn't - it was Kleberson / Djemba Djemba / Anderson and it was crap (but fun at the time as we all thought they were "the next Roy Keane")
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I disagree about Miguel, he does, imo and the opinion of others I would trust, have a good line at United.

Certain posters keep on saying this, but what exactly has Delaney called for people to believe this? And when I say called, I'm talking about providing genuinely insightful information that we hadn't already seen somewhere else.

On the other hand, there's been plenty of occasions where we can befairly sure he's been talking complete sh*te.

The concept of blind faith has been thrown around here recently. It certainly lends itself to Delaney fans imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

My main issue with Delaneys article is his claims of sources telling him all these stories. Why are these sources not giving anything to the Manchester based journos but telling London based Delaney everything?

Exactly. There are some journos who have built a complete mythical ITK repuation for themselves and gulible people lap it up.

Look at Ogden this summer, he has been cringe worthy. His constant reporting of excluives from his insiders at OT have been nothing better than anyone else.

Nobody knows whats happening until it happens or its decided they should be let know.

ESPN reporting LVG is unhappy is laughable. Did they meet on the tram to OT this morning or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Just seen my posts from last night... Many apologies

Good lad Young Pipe – no harm in going after some drunk leaving cert rumpy – would do it myself but their dads are probably mates of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

More like,

Journalist writes a story you agree with - He's great.

Journalist writes a story you disagree with - He's shìt.

• Advertisement

Coat22 wrote: »
    Good lad Young Pipe – no harm in going after some drunk leaving cert rumpy – would do it myself but their dads are probably mates of mine

BallyBunion is a great spot!

I see Sky sports have mentioned Vidal on their transfer touchscreen thingy, its on!

Also Vidal has tweeted in English, which he never does.

Young pipe lives in hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Anyone else not used to the number change on Sky Sports News HQ yet? I keep hitting 405.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

the cynicism and dismissal of every football journalist is hilarious.

Good journalists: James Ducker, Tony Barrett, Daniel Taylor

Delaney's writing is so vague and open ended. He has no insight into United. You're just getting hot under the collar becuase you know him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I just followed Vidal on Twitter. I am awaiting an article to be written how "Manchester United fan on Boards.ie has followed Arturo Vidal on Twitter. Could the Chilean be on his way to the Theatre of Dreams?"

glued wrote: »
    . He has no insight into United. You're just getting hot under the collar becuase you know him.

so why dont you trust Mitch when he vouches for him?

Mitch has no reason to lie, this is an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mitch has no reason to lie, this is an internet forum.

People lie on the tinterwebs the whole time, for tits and wiggles for reasons unknown - but they still do it

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    I just followed Vidal on Twitter. I am awaiting an article to be written how "Manchester United fan on Boards.ie has followed Arturo Vidal on Twitter. Could the Chilean be on his way to the Theatre of Dreams?"

That'd be a Waterford whispers news job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

So Juventus tell us that we can have Vidal (arguably the best midfielder in the world) for €45m plus Chicarito plus Nani, some people think that we shouldn't do the deal?

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That'd be a Waterford whispers news job

Best Deise export since the Blaa and John Mullane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So Juventus tell us that we can have Vidal (arguably the best midfielder in the world) for €45m plus Chicarito plus Nani, some people think that we shouldn't do the deal?

Jesus Christ.

Thats the point Ive a problem with. I dont think many think hes the greatest midfielder in the world at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

the cynicism and dismissal of every football journalist is hilarious.

I for one am not dismissing every journalist. They do get some things right but if there's not much going on then they will embellish and even fabricate stories to fill column inches.

Most of these lads you rarely hear much about outside of transfer windows. It's their chance to get their name out there and they won't do that by reporting a Bournemouth player going out on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

There are many good midfielders out there as well that can be got for half the price. I can why United are holding this out as he has a dodgy knee record and don't want to end up with another Hargreaves.

Jesus Christ.

I think toni kroos is better and he is also 27 years of age, not training with the first team as he was rushed back from a bad knee injury to play in the world cup when clearly he wasn't fit and that has seemed to hamper his recovery. A lot of money for a guy who is not 100% fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jesus Christ.

*who may or may not have only one knee.

I think we'd be slightly overpaying for him tbh. A bid of £35-40 million should secure him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    There are many good midfielders out there as well that can be got for half the price. I can why United are holding this out as he has a dodgy knee record and don't want to end up with another Hargreaves.

He's had a minor enough surgery on his knee. It didn't keep him out very long.

I don't think he has a record of knee injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

glued wrote: »
    Good journalists: James Ducker, Tony Barrett, Daniel Taylor

Delaney's writing is so vague and open ended. He has no insight into United. You're just getting hot under the collar becuase you know him.

Yeah I would agree with that, just seems to leave a variety of options open in his articles which you could then concievably point back to and say "oh look, he was right"

It's only my opinion of course, for all I know he could be sleeping with Bobby Charlton, but I follow and read a lot of journo's and it just seems a strange style to have.

I would include Ogden in the above list too, though he has been quiet of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Not at all.
    98% of transfer articles are complete guess work and fabrication, people realise this and that ESPN article is no exceptions.

Aka clickbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Jesus Christ.

Hi Larry. Could you describe Vidal's positioning and his playing style for me?
    I need a reminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Jesus Christ.

Don't often agree with you and i love both Nani and Chicarito. People go on about our penny pinching and not being able to get deals done. Get rid of two squad players promote Wilson and lingard and sign the best midfielder in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The fact that people are giving credit to a journalist talking garbage about a 45M + two players transfer lolfiasco while other people are complaining about giving journalists too little credit is mind-bending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Which midfielders of similar quality that would fit our needs so well could we get for much cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jesus Christ.

It's right on the border of "you're seriously taking the fcuking p!ss now Juve, but we'll accept". Its about £50m.

Not that I think it's real or anything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Don't often agree with you and i love both Nani and Chicarito. People go on about our penny pinching and not being able to get deals done. Get rid of two squad players promote Wilson and lingard and sign the best midfielder in the world.

I personally dont think hes worth the money. With his injury record and in my opinion that other better midfielders go for nearly 15 mil less, I dont see why we havent moved on to other targets.

I don't know why but I have a bad feeling about vidal.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE-Tm-rS6Po

remember this? rvn just before we were about to sign him, united pulled out of the deal then obviously, but fergie was still interested went in a year later and the rest is history. Imagine we signed vidal next week and his knee goes in first match and we have another Hargreaves on our hands that just cost us the guts of 50m + :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know I'm late to the party but I only noticed Januzaj has been given the number 11 shirt.

16689_10152367021922746_1943450873987974861_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm out

Enjoy the thread lads... roll on September 2nd or whenever the deadline closes. Hopefully we'll have 1 or 2 signings, no injuries and maximum points by then :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bangkok wrote: »

remember this? rvn just before we were about to sign him, united pulled out of the deal then obviously, but fergie was still interested went in a year later and the rest is history. Imagine we signed vidal next week and his knee goes in first match and we have another Hargreaves on our hands that just cost us the guts of 50m + :eek:

I was taumatised by that when I saw it for the first time. Urgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9421608/transfer-news-rojos-part-owners-in-row-with-sporting-over-manchester-united-bid

So if they dont sell us Rojo sporting will have to pay 12million to the sports company who owns 75% of him? They wud be mad not to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I personally dont think hes worth the money. With his injury record and in my opinion that other better midfielders go for nearly 15 mil less, I dont see why we havent moved on to other targets.
    Which better midfielders go for nearly 15mn less though? Kroos had one year left on his deal and wasn't a great fit for our system in my opinion, unless we switched to a three man midfield with Herrera and Carrick alongside him. But otherwise these claims of better players like him are really, really perplexing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »

Never gets easier to watch,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

What exactly is wrong with Vidals knee? He never tore his acl did he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement