Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

240714101144.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

FYP :P

The 40 posts per page?

Im a busy go getter and I dont have time for pages to load

wadacrack wrote: »
    240714101144.png

I dont think Dave could play up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The 40 posts per page?

Im a busy go getter and I dont have time for pages to load

There's far too much scrolling involved. My browser only takes up about a third of my screen. You're only codding yourself anyway, it'll just take twice as long to load when you do change the page. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bullvine wrote: »
    Would he really be classing Fellaini as a number 10?

Its actually quite interesting when you think about it. Because of his performances there is a lot of doubt surrounding Fellaini and what position he should be playing, so you could almost assume that he was a young player brought in with potential to develop and find his role. Is he a midfielder, is he a no.10, we don't seem to know yet.

But the guy that brought him in had previously been his manager for years! He wasn't a kid, he was an established premier league footballer, Moyes must have known exactly what he was buying him for?

What a mess of a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Don't really want to see us play 3 at the back tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

glued wrote: »

if it gets results and we create loads of chances I will not mind one bit in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

glued wrote: »

i think it could work but i think we need another 2 cbs to make it work for cover.

Did the formation change when the substitutions were made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just watching the game now but Herrera is having a very good game in at the 10 position, we really are spoiled for choice in that position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

If we play mostly with the 3-4-1-2 formation, with everyone fit, I would imagine the current first choice line up would be:
    Evans---Jones---Smalling
    Rafael ---Herrera---Carrick---Shaw
    Mata
    Rooney---RVP

For backup we'd have Fellaini, Fletcher and Cleverly in central midfield, Kagawa and maybe Nani for just behind the striker and Wellbeck, Chico and possibly Young (based on the way LVG used him last night) as backup strikers. We're very light on defensive backup so I expect a couple of signings at least. It's actually a shame Evra is gone as he'd probably enjoy playing more as a wing back and not have to defend as much as a true full back, which he was doing for most of the last season really! :D We could do with another midfielder too.

But where do people think Januzaj might fit in? He's not a wing back and I'm not sure he's a number 10. Could LVG try to use him like he uses Robben in the Dutch team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

But where do people think Januzaj might fit in? He's not a wing back and I'm not sure he's a number 10. Could LVG try to use him like he uses Robben in the Dutch team?

Januzai is a natural No.10, much prefers playing thru the centre, but doesn't have the strength for it just yet. Remember he is only 19, he'll bulk up a lot over the next 2 years.

Macca07 wrote: »
    Januzai is a natural No.10, much prefers playing thru the centre, but doesn't have the strength for it just yet. Remember he is only 19, he'll bulk up a lot over the next 2 years.

It's going to be difficult to keep all our No. 10s happy! :D

It's a nice problem to have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Januzaj is a #10 and he played in that role for U18s. For U21s he played whole season as striker as Will Keane was injured and he was very impressive. So I don't think it's a problem at all for him to fit into this tactics.

If we stick to 3-4-1-2 then I'm sure Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez (if he stays) will only play as strikers, Mata and Januzaj as #10. Kagawa might be deeper like he played today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

United looked unreal last night, LA pretty poor.

What was the formation we used last night? And for each half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Do we really think LvG will turn Shinji into a CM? I can't see him staying otherwise.

• Advertisement

Not sure if Pro.F has posted if not what's your view about Herrara as a CM? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Haha looool

Don't be getting too excites now lads, a b side galaxy team.

Gomies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I called for 3 at the back last season so I'm welcoming this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Great to here him talking about having to put Cleverley at cb because of no options. Have no doubt Ed has a list and we will see two or three defenders arrive.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do we really think LvG will turn Shinji into a CM? I can't see him staying otherwise.

I can't see him being strong enough in defense to play as a true CM. However Mata is probably better than him in the No. 10 position so he'll have to be happy with being backup or at least being used in rotation. If we signed someone like Vidal I could see Kagawa playing next to him though, kind of like Keane and Scholes. But again he's be fighting for a place with Herrera.

However it would be pretty nice to have some competition for places and the ability to interchange between CM and No. 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

United looked unreal last night, LA pretty poor.

What was the formation we used last night? And for each half?

3-4-1-2
    De Gea
    ---Smalling- Jones-evans---
    Val--Herera--Fletch---Shaw
    Mata
    ----Welbeck--Rooney

2nd half (same setup but more of a 5-3-2)
    Lindegraad
    --Keane--Fletch--Blackett--
    Raf--Herrera--Clev--James
    Kagawa

Nani----Young

Haha looool

Gomies

Who are the gomies?

Us for being positive?

well if we cant be positive about beating a team 7-0 when last year we lost 1-0 to amatuers, then I dont know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Looking at highlights its amazing what a ball keeping midfielder looks like. I had almost forgotten. Really excited about Anders.

How did Nani do when he came on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Haha looool

Gomies

LvG7.gif

:p

the good thing about having 3 at the back is when they sign another centre half, they still have carrick who can slot in there or fletcher if needs be. there is less pressure on a 3 man back line than a 2 man, as most teams now just play 1 up front and even if some teams play 2 there is still the extra man to do all the clean up work and pass out from the back

Herrera is quality, anyone who is a regular viewer of la liga seen how good he is. with better players around him now and a bigger stage to play just watch him blossom into a top class player

NTMK wrote: »
    3-4-1-2
    De Gea
    ---Smalling- Jones-evans---
    Val--Herera--Fletch---Shaw
    Mata
    ----Welbeck--Rooney

2nd half (same setup but more of a 5-3-2)
    Lindegraad
    --Keane--Fletch--Blackett--
    Raf--Herrera--Clev--James
    Kagawa

Nani----Young

Second half Kagawa played as CM and Herrera as AM.

bangkok wrote: »
    Herrera is quality, anyone who is a regular viewer of la liga seen how good he is. with better players around him now and a bigger stage to play just watch him blossom into a top class player

Herrera was quality last night, no doubt, but it was poor opposition. Looking forward to see how he does against teams with a stronger midfield.

But it was nice seeing a United midfielder looking for the ball, not panicking when under pressure, being able to play a through-ball, and being able to shoot. He's very similar to Scholes, and has the Spanish mindset to always try and win the ball back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Nothing has changed.

If LVG is going to play 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 he’ll still need another 2 CBs to have a first choice 3 CBs available (including Jones) with Evans and Smalling as squad players (one of these may go but Smalling may be retained for versatility and Evans a safer CB option). Would hope they land Vermaelen soon and then turn their attention to landing a top class CB that can lead the line.

In mid field we still need a defensive leader. Vidal is the obvious one but reckon that would have happened in conjunction with the Evra move if it was going to go ahead. Fellani as a make weight in any deal? Might seem strange but he’s the missing piece of the jigsaw at the moment. Still on hols so maybe that’s whats holding up anything happening getting something done? Long shot….

I think we have loads of options going forward. While I can see the addition of a Di Maria or similar adding something else to the armoury I don’t think it’s a priority and would rather we concentrated on getting the aforementioned sorted first. We’re not in Europe this season so really the fire power we have should be enough to do well in the Premiership if the defence/mid field is sorted. I actually think the addition of a Vidal type could win it for us. No world cup next summer either so RVP might not be quiet as “injured” as he was this year….

Still plenty of dead wood to root out too – Young should go – he’ll be great from now until the transfer window has closed and then revert to type so lets cut loose now. Cleveryly also not going to make it at this level so time to admit this and sell. Wellbeck similar but unless we sign another striker or are happy with the younger lads coming through he’ll be handy to hang onto. I’d like to see Kagaiwa given a chance by LVG – don’t think either Fergie or Moyes knew what to do with him. Mata going to have a huge season IMO.

So 3 key roles to fill – 2 CBs and a defensive mid fielder (as has been the case for at least 3 seasons). Hopefully they’ll just get it done this year – I think LVG will ensure they do.

Can't wait for the Roma game. 7-0 is a great scoreline but LA Galaxy are, well... LA Galaxy. Roma are a very good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

it was only one game and a pre-season game at that, but we looked like a totally different team from last season,Herrera looked really good some great through balls to our strikers and was always looking for the ball,delighted Fletcher was captain as well.Good start and the players will already have confidence in LVG's methods.Great result but seeing the way we played was even better.

Can't wait for the Roma game. 7-0 is a great scoreline but LA Galaxy are, well... LA Galaxy. Roma are a very good team.
    They beat Liverpool and Liverpool are mych better than us.

We are only a mid table team now, we will be lucky to come away without conceding 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Moyes United would have struggled against L.A Galaxy, they struggled against far worse teams last summer.

They beat Liverpool and Liverpool are mych better than us.

We are only a mid table team now, we will be lucky to come away without conceding 4

Well of course. Battling Spurs and Southampton next season will be tough work, no better man than LvG to do it though. That champions league dream is slowly fading lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

We need more quality depth at CB and someone to do the dirty work in midfield, Fletcher was doing this last night, and to me he looked the only potential weak link (fell asleep at half time). I understand he's coming back from a really tough injury, but I just don't think he's up to the task over a full season.

I've never once heard his name mentioned as a possible target for us, but I think we could do a lot worse than bring in Gary Medel, thought he was good for a very ordinary Cardiff last year. He's still 26, does all that necessary stuff in front of the defenders that often goes unnoticed, can cover as defender if needed (played as central defender for chile in WC) and can be for for relative peanuts.

I'm not saying he would solve all out problems, but is an attainable target that's minimum risk (rumoured to be on the verge of joining Inter for around £6m) He could even have a word with that other fella, Arturo ;)

Completely unrelated, the sh1t is bound to have hit the fan regarding the megastore muck up by now? , anyone that ordered received any further correspondence?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fenix wrote: »
    We need more quality depth at CB and someone to do the dirty work in midfield, Fletcher was doing this last night, and to me he looked the only potential weak link (fell asleep at half time). I understand he's coming back from a really tough injury, but I just don't think he's up to the task over a full season.

I've never once heard his name mentioned as a possible target for us, but I think we could do a lot worse than bring in Gary Medel, thought he was good for a very ordinary Cardiff last year. He's still 26, does all that necessary stuff in front of the defenders that often goes unnoticed, can cover as defender if needed (played as central defender for chile in WC) and can be for for relative peanuts.

I'm not saying he would solve all out problems, but is an attainable target that's minimum risk (rumoured to be on the verge of joining Inter for around £6m) He could even have a word with that other fella, Arturo ;)

Completely unrelated, the sh1t is bound to have hit the fan regarding the megastore muck up by now? , anyone that ordered received any further correspondence?!

Think Medel is gone to Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

user2011 wrote: »
    LvG7.gif

:p

Every time I see that gif I just automatically thank it no matter what the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Think Medel is gone to Inter.

Yea I seen him heavily linked as well, but never seen any official announcement.. If they do get him for £6m, it's an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

First cup of the season !

76zh3Fz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Whats the status of everyone's orders from last night ? Mine is

Order Date: 24/07/2014 00:58:17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭billyhead

adox wrote: »
    Every time I see that gif I just automatically thank it no matter what the context.

I'd say hes great crack to go on the beer with. With reagrds to last night it was a good performance especially by our new recruits Shaw and Herrera but we cannot judge the performance based on the fact that LA Galaxy were muck. The likes of Roma and Real will be step up in class. I hope LVG gains better judgement over these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

MrMac84 wrote: »

Someone on the BA thread has stated that United have confirmed they won't be honouring the orders. The curse of the BA glitch strikes again! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MrMac84 wrote: »

I read somewhere that they are all cancelled.

Just this post so who knows

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91415032&postcount=17

TheTownie wrote: »
    First cup of the season !

76zh3Fz.jpg

that's not a cup, you cant drink out of it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Does Jones ever not pull a mad face?

Fletch having the times though :)

• Advertisement

Haha looool

Gomies

tumblr_inline_mvd3jpKMoI1qjto5m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know it wasn't exactly a tough opposition but I was very impressed with Herrera. His passing was brilliant and he looked comfortable. It didn't look like it was his first game playing in that team.

Was happy Jones was given the nod to play in the centre of the back three. Hopefully that's a sign that in VG eyes Jones as a centre back and that he will be given that role next season.

I know bigger tests are to come and hopefully good performances against Roma, Inter and Madrid follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We're only playing Roma so LvG can smuggle Strootman out of Rome while the lads are away.

Strootman was pictured returning to Roma 2 weeks ago, but is there any indication of how he is shaping up -= is he expected to play in the next month o or two?

im convinced LVG is obsessed with signing him and if Strootman is anywhere near being able to play by September, we will go for him. its the main reason of no interest for Vidal at the moment i would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be happy with Strootman, fits that narrative of buying young future stars that LVG mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know it wasn't exactly a tough opposition but I was very impressed with Herrera. His passing was brilliant and he looked comfortable. It didn't look like it was his first game playing in that team.

Was happy Jones was given the nod to play in the centre of the back three. Hopefully that's a sign that in VG eyes Jones as a centre back and that he will be given that role next season.

I know bigger tests are to come and hopefully good performances against Roma, Inter and Madrid follow.

I managed to catch the first half of the Liverpool - Roma game, Roma looked a decent side with pace out wide, they won't be as much of a threat without Destro but should be a better work out for us for sure!

Delighted to read the reports of Herrera fitting in & playing well!

Positive news indeed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement