Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I seem to be bucking the trend a bit but Im not overly annoyed with the transfer activity.

We have signed 2 exciting young players, Shaw I believe will go on to become a club legend and not at full back, we are unbeaten against top level opposition (friendlies I know but still, beating the European Champions in any game is pretty damn good considering how last season went) and we have gotten rid of alot of dead wood.

Would I like to have seen a marquee signing a la Vidal or Hummells?

Of course!

But none of us know what LVG knows.

I have absolute faith in him and his vision. I think its pretty obvious he will not buy just for the sake of it. Its also pretty obvious that we have a wealth of talent coming through the Academy, more than any other premier league team imo.

Arguably our greatest squad was built with youth, I think this current crop of young players coupled with the older more experienced heads will cause some pretty great days for us as fans, this season.

We dont have Europe to contend with and I think the most important thing is that the key players like Rooney actually want to play and look incredibly hungry.

All in all, we could be in much worse shape.

ps, I think we will sign Rojo and DiMaria.

Not ideal but I belive we will finish top 4 at the expense of Liverpool.

I cannot fcuking wait for tomorrow.

So you believe LVG doesn't want signings, and that is why we haven't made them? Otherwise your absolute faith in this regard is irrelevant.

As for the mountain of top talent coming through the youth team that we obviously have, according to you, can you tell me how much you actually watch the U18 and U21 sides? Cause I watch them a lot, and beyond Wilson I don't see a single player I would feel confident in saying has the ability to make a difference in the first team. I like Michael Keane, but not as an immediate back-up, and I have never been overly impressed with Blacketts performances over the last two seasons. Which are the players that you feel make buying a centre back, a left back, a right back, or a couple of central midfielders this summer unnecessary? Which players from our apparently amazing crop of youth players is going to come in and solve our problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are still two weeks until the transfer window closes?
    Thought so.

RayCun wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are still two weeks until the transfer window closes?
    Thought so.

Same was said last summer - loads of time left to get signings in, the evidence of failure of the rest of the summer shouldn't be considered at all, and anyone saying differently whether they are a paid journo or some lad on twitter is just a doomlord that doesn't understand anything.

And look how that summer ended, making FELLAINI one of United's biggest ever purchases.

So far Woodward has negotiated spending 4 million extra on Fellaini, making Shaw the most expensive ever teenager and paying a buyout clause to get Herrera. Hardly evidence that he has learned from his bumbling attempts to sign players last summer. Oh, and before you (or anyone else brings up Mata)... 1. Record purchase for a player that wasn't wanted at his club. 2. Woodward didn't negotiate that deal - we got a third party to act on our behalf - exactly what we should be doing now, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

RayCun wrote: »
    Thought so.

Last year I thought:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's an hour until the transfer window closes?

And we ended up with Fellaini for 27 Million :)

I've 180'd like most people and become embarrassed by our transfer efforts although I would be delighted if the club prove us wrong in the next 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nobody is happy with the transfer dealings(LVG included) and we don't need the Daily Mail to tell us.

What time is the press conference today?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Nobody is happy with the transfer dealings(LVG included) and we don't need the Daily Mail to tell us.

What time is the press conference today?

Eh - you'll find quite a few people need to be told this, and some will only begin to think it true if LVG says it to them directly.

The evidence of posts on this thread would indicate people think we haven't signed anyone cause LVG is fairly happy with the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Daily Mail running LVG unhappy with Uniteds transfer work now too.

Oh dear. He's not the type of man to keep things to himself when he feels wronged in any way. This will all get very messy if results don't go our way.

I wonder if any of the journos at today's presser will have the balls to ask VG his opinion on how the transfer window is going.
    This will get interesting - watch this space. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The evidence of posts on this thread would indicate people think we haven't signed anyone cause LVG is fairly happy with the squad.

Care to back that up? Strikes me most people ares saying it's obvious LVG does want signings (and using Verm and Rojo as examples) but aren't panicking that they aren't in yet, as we still have two weeks to go. Different too "LVG isn't trying and is happy with what he has got..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm starting to feel we are getting the scattergun ready for September 1st

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's embarrassing is the lack of transfers with the new season starting in the morning.

I'm not at all embarrassed by that actually, because, you know, I'm a normal person who doesn't let the actions of a football club hundreds of miles away affect me in such a way. If you're genuinely embarrassed then I suggest you seek professional help.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Care to back that up? Strikes me most people ares saying it's obvious LVG does want signings (and using Verm and Rojo as examples) but aren't panicking that they aren't in yet, as we still have two weeks to go. Different too "LVG isn't trying and is happy with what he has got..."
    So you are saying there is no one on this thread that thinks LVG isn't unhappy with the fact we don't have new signings in yet? No one saying he isn't frustrated? No one saying Miguel Delaney is lying when he says so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Right lads, I'm on the positivity train today, something is going to happen, something even if LvG rips someone out of it at the presser it'll be something

We should have a pool going on who its going to be...

"eh, Louis- Jamie jackson here
    LVG - Get out jackson

"eh Louis - mark Ogden, any signings coming in
    LVG - stares and Ogden's head explodes

"Eh Louis - James Ducker, Vidal yes or no
    LVG - he doesn't fit my system, you're barred Ducker, go back to your pond

"eh Louis - Dan taylor, Dutch players, would ye like some
    LVG - I have RVP, he's my man crush, i don't need any other Dutch players

So you are saying there is no one on this thread that thinks LVG isn't unhappy with the fact we don't have new signings in yet? No one saying he isn't frustrated? No one saying Miguel Delaney is lying when he says so?

I am saying there is not a sustained narrative that LVG is sitting on his ass thinking "this squad is perfect and we need no one else to join".

It's pretty obvious LVG is searching for a CB. He wouldn't be doing that if he was happy with his lot. I am contending the statement that there is a large group who think LVG is happy with the squad he has got, as you originally implied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What time is the press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not at all embarrassed by that actually, because, you know, I'm a normal person who doesn't let the actions of a football club hundreds of miles away affect me in such a way. If you're genuinely embarrassed then I suggest you seek professional help.

What an utterly inane post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Looks like 2.30 or 3PM on MUTV according to Twitta.

I hope there are a few journalists prepared to ask the hard questions today, instead of going easy to try and stay on Van Gaals good side.

I'm not at all surprised by this - the thought that LVG doesn't feel signings were needed by this stage is just head in the sand stuff.

As for those saying there is still time... United have been trying, and failing, to sign their targets all summer - no real reason to think they'll fix things in the next two weeks - at least not with respect to the players LVG actually wanted off the bat. Any signings we do make look like it will be fellaini-esque 'we need to sign someone, anyone' type of signing.

Hope he won't do a 'Tony Pulis' on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

I'm not happy over the transfer situation and I think it's because of what happened last year. Starting to look very familiar but as others have said there are a couple of weeks left so you never know but I think it's fair for people not be overly optimistic about it. On the flip side I can't wait for the new season, really optimistic that LVG will get the best out of the squad, probably the current one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Hope he won't do a 'Tony Pulis' on us!

He actually mentioned in passing in his first press conference that he might only be here for 4 weeks (or some other short period).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

wondering would people hazard a guess at the starting united defence for tomorrow? Is blackett nailed on given injuries do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

What an utterly inane post.

Is it hard to breathe with your head in the sand like that?

Do you find it hard to actually debate points, ya know, instead of stupid one liners?

Do you find it hard to actually debate points, ya know, instead of stupid one liners?

Well, I've tried to point out that our squad is horribly deficient and that we are making the exact same mistake as last summer, but for that you just get labelled a moaner and whinger. If you actually want to debate those points I am more than willing.

Plus, that post I quoted was totally inane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I reckon this place is kinda getting like the United dressing room c. December last year.

Lots of bitching, finger pointing, frustration, will eventually end with someone deciding they've had enough of this sh1t and heading off to Italy only for United to make 3 signings and them feeling like they've made a brutal decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bruce says theres no truth to them being in for Welbeck.

Coat22 wrote: »
    I reckon this place is kinda getting like the United dressing room c. December last year.

Lots of bitching, finger pointing, frustration, will eventually end with someone deciding they've had enough of this sh1t and heading off to Italy only for United to make 3 signings and them feeling like they've made a brutal decision.
    Think calm people ;)

woosah-gif-bad-boys-2.gif

"United have confirmed they have banned all iPads, tablets and laptops from Old Trafford on match days after receiving advice from the authorities about terror threats."

Funny its only OT - will be banning footballs next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Coat22 wrote: »
    "United have confirmed they have banned all iPads, tablets and laptops from Old Trafford on match days after receiving advice from the authorities about terror threats."

Funny its only OT - will be banning footballs next

They're right. Bringing and iPad to a game is ridiculous.

glued wrote: »

Totally agree - but the reasoning is bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

It must be a nailed on fact then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Bruce says theres no truth to them being in for Welbeck.

Thank God for that, would have sent me right over the edge if they sold Welbeck.

CBMTffa.jpg

bdz5mesicaitoht.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

The above is just so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Freagsy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

advertsfox wrote: »
    bdz5mesicaitoht.jpg

The one on the right looks very like that comedian Jon Richardson that does be on 8 out of 10 Cats.

glued wrote: »

Taking your iPad OUT during the game - I agree.

But what about all the people who travel to the game via train, plan and bus, journeys taking hours. Some of these people will have taken their iPad to watch a movie, read a mag, listen to music etc on the way to and from the game. They won't be able to do this anymore because they won't be able to take it in to the game with them. Going to be a paid for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But what about all the people who travel to the game via train, plan and bus, journeys taking hours. Some of these people will have taken their iPad to watch a movie, read a mag, listen to music etc on the way to and from the game. They won't be able to do this anymore because they won't be able to take it in to the game with them. Going to be a paid for them.

It's the price we all have to pay to be free from terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'm not at all surprised by this - the thought that LVG doesn't feel signings were needed by this stage is just head in the sand stuff.

As for those saying there is still time... United have been trying, and failing, to sign their targets all summer - no real reason to think they'll fix things in the next two weeks - at least not with respect to the players LVG actually wanted off the bat. Any signings we do make look like it will be fellaini-esque 'we need to sign someone, anyone' type of signing.

:pac:

Buy a newspaper

• Advertisement

Do they check every bag of every person going in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Do they check every bag of every person going in?

Not the home fans, I don't think in anyway. If they see you with one they'll probably take it off ya or sumin.

Not the home fans, I don't think in anyway. If they see you with one they'll probably take it off ya or sumin.

So a bit like bringing your own food into the cinema. Be discrete and you will be grand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This is an absolute prime example of what Keane2097 was talking about yesterday.

:pac:

The journalist, Ian Ladyman is fairly reliable. His paper and name lets him down

v3ttel wrote: »
    This is an absolute prime example of what Keane2097 was talking about yesterday.

I've said for a long time that Ducker, Ladyman, Taylor are the three NPP that I would trust the most, then Jackson. I would also trust Miguel.

The first 3 mentioned would be the most respected ones on the northern beat.

v3ttel wrote: »

Exactly, I wonder if as much credit is going to be given to the rumours linking Raheem Sterling with a move to Real Madrid in the same august publication this morning?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Exactly, I wonder if as much credit is going to be given to the rumours linking Raheem Sterling with a move to Real Madrid in the same august publication this morning?

Thats an interesting move, I wonder if its worth a bid for Gareth Bale because I can't see those two playing together.

Thats an interesting move, I wonder if its worth a bid for Gareth Bale because I can't see those two playing together.

Bale would have been such a fun signing for United, one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen in the EPL.

Would prob be decent cover for Shaw & Young at LWB as well...

keane2097 wrote: »

2 different journalist's. One is reliable, the other not so much

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement