Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

If it is true that LVG is frustrated by the club's inability to sign proper players, then we will all hear about it soon enough - from the horse's mouth. I'm quite sure he'll descend into a rant about it immediately after the first bad result/performance.

And if it is true, then it's a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

A lot of peoples patience seems to have ran up, and probably right too! I understand it has been a poor transfer window but I'm going to take my ignorant positive outlook on things :P

Rather than be worried about the fact that we haven't brought in any (apart from Herrera) players with experience playing against big teams, the depth of our team seems quite poor, or the fact that it is pretty much the same team as last year with our most experienced defenders gone, I'm going to try be positive.

Im going to say maybe the likes of Blackett, James, and Keane have breakout years like Januzaj last year and become integral parts of them team.

I know it is very ignorant of me but hey after a year of negativity I just want to enter this season positive.
    So every time I hear something negative, and probably accurate, about our team I think Ill take this approach! :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

LVG has asked for bids to be made for Vermaelen and Rojo, the first was a no go because of Arsenal/Wenger and the second is messy due to contract ownerships.

The manager is hardly going to be 'happy' now is he?? It would be more concerning if the rumour mill was saying that LVG is completely happy.... I am sure he will just get on with it though, he's experienced enough to know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bale would have been such a fun signing for United, one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen in the EPL.

Would prob be decent cover for Shaw & Young at LWB as well...

I would have spent the money on Bale, I think he is only going to get better again at Madrid. Oh to have his raw pace and ability to carry the ball in the team!
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    Im going to say maybe the likes of Blackett, James, and Keane have breakout years like Januzaj last year and become integral parts of them team.

Its a nice thought but the fact is that Keane, James and Blackett aren't going to be the next superstars, they aren't that level of quality. Had we proper quality in the team nobody would even consider for a second relying on them for the season, its only because we are so desperate that it is even being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RayCun wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are still two weeks until the transfer window closes?
    Thought so.

I keep hearing this argument, and it’s a false one. VG has had 3 weeks with the team now and is moulding them into the way he wants them playing for the start of the season. It will take longer than 3 weeks to make him 100% happy but at least he had the 3 weeks.

Now, if we sign someone in 2 weeks’ time for example, regardless of how talented or big named they are they will need time to play the system he wants and for him to fully know the players strengths and weaknesses. Probably why he wanted Vermaelen actually, the groundwork was already done. Its why I am convinced he will take the safer options now and sign players he has worked with already from now on, his hands are tied. All because the club have not made any progress in 2 months in signing anyone........****ing ANYONE!

So far under Woodward, the four signings all have question marks over them:

Mata - Third party employed to negotiate and if you believe the speculation it was because United did not want to discuss the availability of Rooney. WTF?

Fellaini - Signed a month too late for £4M more than he should have. Mistake from the very outset.

Herrera - I have blacked out last summer as it was just one long embarrassment for the club with this pursuit and Fabregas. However eventually the player bought himself out and signed for United. It took a year but it’s done and he looks a great buy. Was a Moyes target firstly, and VG said yes to the signing.

Shaw - Overpaid but that's not a United thing dealing with English clubs for English players. But the issue I have is the negotiations started in January and still took until the first week of the WC to finalise. Why did it take so long for a club willing to sell, and a player desperate to sign? Again a Moyes target.

NOBODY on this forum is a bigger fan than I am, and I have a right to be concerned. To question the clubs policy is not the same as being a bad supporter. I'd be as happy as anyone if Woodward unveiled 3 signings today and has his Hollywood moment. So far though I am underwhelmed. We all knew where the weaknesses were and yet they have not been fully addressed. And we have a guy in charge who before we had signed any of Van Gaals's targets told the world to basically ask for more money with his 'we have LOADSAMONEY' interview.

If you were in VG's position would you be happy if you wanted certain players signed and less than 24 hours before the start of the season they are not signed, regardless of 2 weeks left in the transfer market? Of course this is speculation, for all we know VG is happy with his squad, but if he did supply targets I can imagine he is fuming inside. And an unhappy Van Gaal is somebody we have seen do mad things, proper crazy and we as supporters love it because he can act as our mouthpiece. He has the skillset and ego to match his outburst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

ericzeking wrote: »
    LVG has asked for bids to be made for Vermaelen and Rojo, the first was a no go because of Arsenal/Wenger and the second is messy due to contract ownerships.

The manager is hardly going to be 'happy' now is he?? It would be more concerning if the rumour mill was saying that LVG is completely happy.... I am sure he will just get on with it though, he's experienced enough to know how it goes.

Ed "What resonates is a top, top elite player that the manager wants that is going to be a star for Manchester United. We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings."

Rojo & Vermaelen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

A lot of peoples patience seems to have ran up, and probably right too! I understand it has been a poor transfer window but I'm going to take my ignorant positive outlook on things :P
    I have the opposite outlook. Not trying to be a negative moany c*nt or anything, I just see so many problems.
    Rather than be worried about the fact that we haven't brought in any (apart from Herrera) players with experience playing against big teams, the depth of our team seems quite poor, or the fact that it is pretty much the same team as last year with our most experienced defenders gone, I'm going to try be positive.

Losing so many defensive players and bringing none in is what puts the fear in me. Smalling looks lost and isnt up to teh standard. jones, while arguably better, hasnt reached great heights and picks up a fair amount of injuries. Not replacing Rio and Vidic yet could be a mistake.
    Januazzi isnt even an integral part of our team yet (but hopefully will be) and bringing in 3 young lads to replace Evra, Rio and Vidic could be costly. Bringing in 1 ...yeah.... but 3? It is a big risk IMO.

Fair play to you for being positive, its just I fear the worst personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Nobody has any reason to believe me above anyone else, but today's the day...watch this space...Friday the 15th of August 2014 will forever be known as Arthur's Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Unearthly wrote: »
    2 different journalist's. One is reliable, the other not so much

Hasn't the reliable one been saying all summer that United have expressed no interest in Vidal?

Are we believing that as well now, or just the bit about LVG being mad as hell?

• Advertisement

Nobody has any reason to believe me above anyone else, but today's the day...watch this space...Friday the 15th of August 2014 will forever be known as Arthur's Day.

Are you so sure that you are willing to stake your continued posting here?
    If he doesn't sign, you dont post anymore?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I have the opposite outlook. Not trying to be a negative moany c*nt or anything, I just see so many problems.

Losing so many defensive players and bringing none in is what puts the fear in me. Smalling looks lost and isnt up to teh standard. jones, while arguably better, hasnt reached great heights and picks up a fair amount of injuries. Not replacing Rio and Vidic yet could be a mistake.

Januazzi isnt even an integral part of our team yet (but hopefully will be) and bringing in 3 young lads to replace Evra, Rio and Vidic could be costly. Bringing in 1 ...yeah.... but 3? It is a big risk IMO.

Fair play to you for being positive, its just I fear the worst personally.

Haha yeah it's becoming very tough to stay positive! When we first brought in Herrera and Shaw the atmosphere here was great, seems so long ago now.

Hopefully we can get a win and good performance tomorrow to give us something good to talk about.

is this August 1st? Same things youve been saying since then yet Ive seen nothing to suggest hes signing that isnt cods whollop!

If he does sign, are you willing to emigrate?

No, I'm not claiming he will or he won't though.
    Put your money where your mouth is.

wait-what.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Was this not every other day last week?

I dont think it will be today if it is happening. There has been no movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Is that you Alan Hansen? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You literally just said today is the day....I still havnt got any worry over Vidal. Potentially dodgy knee..no comment all summer.....first I heard of him last season and he is 28 years old ?

Considering we didn't seen to put up a fight for Kroos or Fabregas I can see this happening as we land targets no one else wants

twam2008 wrote: »
    Ed "What resonates is a top, top elite player that the manager wants that is going to be a star for Manchester United. We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings."

Rojo & Vermaelen?

There's a difference between 'we can' and 'we will'.......but it was a mistake to say what he said....I'm sure we can spend the money, we've spent plenty in the last 12 months.

WRT Rojo and Vermaelen, it appears LVG has been pretty specific in wanting a left sided centre half, it's a specific position so there aren't going to be a plethora of names that are available and suitable, and it's not a case of going into a shop and getting whatever you want.
    Hummels you say? Well he's not for sale, and probably doesn't want to move to Manchester and almost definitely won't want to drop out of the Champions League if he can help it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Probably one of the most childish things said on the forum today, what's that going to gain other than one less person posting on the forum, that you can ignore anyway if the posts hurt your brain that much.

• Advertisement

Some people on this thread seem to live in cloud cuckoo land.

Vidal could do his cruciate today a la Ruud Van Nistelrooy and scupper the deal.

A deal can run into trouble notwithstanding there being a willingness on all sides to get it over the line.

ElChe32 wrote: »

:D

Im not saying you wont winning anything with kids, just dont think these 3 young lads are superstars in the making.

I feel youre one of them with your Vidal is signing lark :pac:

TheDoc wrote: »
    You literally just said today is the day....I still havnt got any worry over Vidal. Potentially dodgy knee..no comment all summer.....first I heard of him last season and he is 28 years old ?

Considering we didn't seen to put up a fight for Kroos or Fabregas I can see this happening as we land targets no one else wants

no i didnt......

You literally just said today is the day......

A signing will have to happen in the next 3/4 business days.

if that can happen, we will sign more players.

If nothing happens by next friday, something is wrong.

Next week is the big week, especially monday - wednesday

Vidal could do his cruciate today a la Ruud Van Nistelrooy and scupper the deal.

A deal can run into trouble notwithstanding there being a willingness on all sides to get it over the line.

It didn't take much to make you change your tune. :rolleyes: You're the one in cloud cuckoo land.

You have been telling us for the last 3 weeks that today is the day, now you are saying anything can happen???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ElChe32 wrote: »

Fergie let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis leave because of the kids coming through, he knew they had the ability to step up.

This simply isn't the same scenario, LVG did not let Rio, Evra and Vidic go because he was sure Blacket, Keane and James were good enough to replace them, instead its just a scenario he has found himself in and they are the only choices available.

They are very different situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Do they check every bag of every person going in?

They've checked my missus' bag anytime we've been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ah sure not to worry anyway lads we be all dead by the end the year anyway now that the Ebola caught us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Even if we do agree a fee for Vidal, there's no guarantee that he will pass a medical. We cant afford another ****up Hargreaves.

Looking at the current squad, and with how many injuries a squad is hit with during a regular season i think we are paper thin. :(

Here doesnt know if hes coming....or going! :pac:

comingorgoing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah sure not to worry anyway lads we be all dead by the end the year anyway now that the Ebola caught us!

When 90% of the population have been wiped out I might finally get my chance to play for Manchester United!

Who am I kidding, I still won't be good enough. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

sky saying potential bad news on Vidal, more to come at midday

Is that bad news that we are going to have to keep hearing stories about him for two more weeks?

Because literally any other news is good news.

Vidal has a cool sounding name though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I keep hearing this argument, and it’s a false one. VG has had 3 weeks with the team now and is moulding them into the way he wants them playing for the start of the season. It will take longer than 3 weeks to make him 100% happy but at least he had the 3 weeks.

Again the scapegoating goes on.

LVG said it would take him 3 weeks to assess the squad before he decides on transfers. After that we bid for Vermalen. LVG doesn't bs, he's true to his word. It looks like now we have moved onto Rojo. The rest of your fault finding in every transfer Woodward has done is laughable. The third party involvemnt for Mata was seen as a shrewd move that allowed us to get a top player and keep Chelseas cluthces off Rooney but somehow youve turned it inot a negative. Shaw and Herrera shows that he can get deals done quitely and quickly.
    twam2008 wrote: »

Rojo & Vermaelen?

Exactly, these are names we were never linked with before LVG arrived. One thing is for sure and that is that LVG is doing it his way.

Herrera and Shaw were names that had ground work done on them under Moyes and LVG gave the go ahead before he joined up with the squad. If reports are to be belived he called a halt to the Kross deal and had no interest when Cesc was there for the taking.

People would be rioting if Moyes did this. I'll say it again, LVG as great as it is to have him has done it his way in this window. He has assessed and bid for players that he wants and called off deals for superior players.

Yet people won't say this because he is LVG and we can't do that, so lets blame Woody. LVG said himself he gave to go ahead for Shaw/Herrera and Woodward got them done quickly. The only other player we are known to have bid for are Vermalen and possibly Rojo and that is because LVG asked for them.

People are just unwilling to call it like it is.

Vague report imminent with no actual facts I bet.

"Sky are getting word that from Sky Sources in Italy, which tell us that rumours are going around that Vidal might be staying in Turin."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Coat22 wrote: »
    They've checked my missus' bag anytime we've been there

I haven't been in ages but the last time I got 4 cans in with me :cool:

• Advertisement

Oh for the days when transfers were simple.

This from Keane's book on how he / ferguson f*cked over Dalgish:

Keane went home to Cork after agreeing to join Dalglish only to receive a telephone call from United boss Alex Ferguson.

Keane recalls in his book, serialised in The Times: “The phone rang. It was Alex Ferguson.

‘Roy, it‘s Alex Ferguson here. Have you signed any forms?

‘No, but I shook hands on the deal and I‘m due to sign the forms tomorrow.

‘Why don‘t you come to Manchester and have a chat with me before you do anything?”’

Keane met Ferguson and decided to join United, leaving Dalglish furious, according to the player.

“I phoned Dalglish to tell him I’d changed my mind about joining Blackburn. He went crazy.

‘Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You‘re a wee b******* and you won’t get away with this. Blackburn Rovers will sue you for every penny you‘ve got.”’

So are Carrick, Valencia, Evans,and RVP all pretty much guaranteed to be sidelined?

Are we all thinking this for tomorrow?

De Gea
    ----Keane--Jones--Smalling----
    Young
    Blackett
    Fletcher--Herrera

Mata

Rooney---Welbeck

I couldn't give a s**t about Vidal anymore tbh

Its all about CBs - we need 2 asap. We can struggle on with Flethcer / Fellani / Cleverly playing alongside Herrara for another 6 months if needs be but we're f*cked if we don't sort out the defence - and VG knows it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'd say it'll be the Allegri quotes from yesterday

So are Carrick, Valencia, Evans,and RVP all pretty much guaranteed to be sidelined?

Are we all thinking this for tomorrow?

De Gea
    ----Keane--Jones--Smalling----
    Young
    Blackett
    Fletcher--Herrera

Mata

Rooney---Welbeck

That back 3/5 is not one Id be confident in.

That back 3/5 is not one Id be confident in.

Fair enough but are there any more options? We might be stuck with it.

Unless....and this pains me to say because I don't want it to happen....
    ...He moves fletcher to CB and sticks in Cleverly or Fellaini beside Herrera....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The market in the US is now closed so expect the Vidal deal to be announced before Wall Street reopens tomorrow.

Arthurs Day!
    Today is the day...Arturo Vidal, our new Roy Keane

3rd week in a row you have said Vidal is signing on a Friday, what's the big deal with Fridays for you?

I have a feeling LVGs press conference today could be very interesting

...He moves fletcher to CB and sticks in Cleverly or Fellaini beside Herrera....

I a midfielder is going to CB it would be Carrick surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Again the scapegoating goes on.

LVG said it would take him 3 weeks to assess the squad before he decides on transfers. After that we bid for Vermalen. LVG doesn't bs, he's true to his word. It looks like now we have moved onto Rojo. The rest of your fault finding in every transfer Woodward has done is laughable. The third party involvemnt for Mata was seen as a shrewd move that allowed us to get a top player and keep Chelseas cluthces off Rooney but somehow youve turned it inot a negative. Shaw and Herrera shows that he can get deals done quitely and quickly.

Exactly, these are names we were never linked with before LVG arrived. One thing is for sure and that is that LVG is doing it his way.

Herrera and Shaw were names that had ground work done on them under Moyes and LVG gave the go ahead before he joined up with the squad. If reports are to be belived he called a halt to the Kross deal and had no interest when Cesc was there for the taking.

People would be rioting if Moyes did this. I'll say it again, LVG as great as it is to have him has done it his way in this window. He has assessed and bid for players that he wants and called off deals for superior players.

Yet people won't say this because he is LVG and we can't do that, so lets blame Woody. LVG said himself he gave to go ahead for Shaw/Herrera and Woodward got them done quickly. The only other player we are known to have bid for are Vermalen and possibly Rojo and that is because LVG asked for them.

People are just unwilling to call it like it is.

People are blaming Woody because it all seems very familiar to last years transfer window and Woody is in charge of transfers. And how anyone can say the Shaw and Herrera deals were quick is beyond me?

Yeah I agree, we could be screwed.

Im just hoping Evans recovers at least.

I a midfielder is going to CB it would be Carrick surely?

Carricks injured, and I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) during the second half of one of the preseason games VG dropped Fletcher to CB to try him there...I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement