Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not sure if this was already posted, but Scholes has had a pop at the club again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11035537/Paul-Scholes-Manchester-Uniteds-transfer-failings-hinder-Louis-van-Gaal.html
    Paul Scholes: Manchester United's transfer failings hinder Louis van Gaal
    Club legend rules out their chances of winning the Premier League because lack of investment has let down 'mad genius' Louis van Gaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

duffman13 wrote: »
    3rd week in a row you have said Vidal is signing on a Friday, what's the big deal with Fridays for you?

I have a feeling LVGs press conference today could be very interesting

Im surprised to be honest that I look to be winning our little wager, but Im just so disappointed we havent signed someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The way our club conducts its transfer business is laughable. We have done the least amount of business of any club in the league. Other clubs seem to identify their targets and just buy them. They also seem to do their business before preseason so the new signings can be integrated.

Why did Woodward come out and essentially say "we have loads of money and we're happy to break the world record if needs be"? As a potential buyer of anything, that's not a great strategy. But he's clearly not stupid, so what was he thinking? If it's to appease the fans, it doesn't work. The £50m, £40m and £20m captures of Vidal, Hummels and Blind respectively, all announced at 2.30pm would appease me. Hearing about what we could spend just irritates me.

Dont think hes having a pop at our club, think hes just saying what he sees TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not quite a pop at the club, Chelsea and City have much better sides and are widely expected to win it.

The £50m, £40m and £20m captures of Vidal, Hummels and Blind respectively, all announced at 2.30pm would appease me. Hearing about what we could spend just irritates me.

Your not going to be appeased so. Not in the slightest.

Thats Cuckoo Land.

duffman13 wrote: »
    3rd week in a row you have said Vidal is signing on a Friday, what's the big deal with Fridays for you?

I have a feeling LVGs press conference today could be very interesting

All joking aside, I'm advised that the preference is to do the deal(s) on a Friday for non-footballing (i.e. market) reasons. However, it'd provide a timely boost for everyone in advance of 12.45 tomorrow, no?

What I imagine the Presser being like

Talk about Rooney as Captain
    Talk about Shaws injury
    Talk about how we wont under estimate Swansea.
    Talk of potential nameless signings and looking for the right player.
    Nothing concrete about a signing happening

I HOPE IM WRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The way our club conducts its transfer business is laughable. We have done the least amount of business of any club in the league. Other clubs seem to identify their targets and just buy them. They also seem to do their business before preseason so the new signings can be integrated.

Why did Woodward come out and essentially say "we have loads of money and we're happy to break the world record if needs be"? As a potential buyer of anything, that's not a great strategy. But he's clearly not stupid, so what was he thinking? If it's to appease the fans, it doesn't work. The £50m, £40m and £20m captures of Vidal, Hummels and Blind respectively, all announced at 2.30pm would appease me. Hearing about what we could spend just irritates me.

Its the whole "mad genius" thing.

Ed - "All our rivals can see that we are short players and will expect us to buy, so instead we will do the opposite, we'll not buy anybody!!! They'll never have expected that!!!"
    Lackey - "Wow, thats genius Ed!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Hardly a pop at the vlub - he's just pointing out the bare facts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looks like I'm going to be away from internet and news for the next 8 hours, hopefully when I do come back there will be be something good.....

United bring back the human wall John O'Shea perhaps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Its a nice thought but the fact is that Keane, James and Blackett aren't going to be the next superstars, they aren't that level of quality.

If that's a fact, it's also a fact that you would have said the same thing in the summer of 95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

All joking aside, I'm advised that the preference is to do the deal(s) on a Friday for non-footballing (i.e. market) reasons. However, it'd provide a timely boost for everyone in advance of 12.45 tomorrow, no?

Why? Enlighten me.

Question...how old should a kid be before you bring them over to OT? My nephew is 3 (and a half) and I'd like to bring him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

beakerjoe wrote: »
    think hes just saying what he sees TBH.

6_Roy_Walker.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

you have advisors?

Comedy Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Taok wrote: »
    If that's a fact, it's also a fact that you would have said the same thing in the summer of 95

Like I've already said, this isn't the same scenario as 1995.

Why? Enlighten me.

That would be tough, given my use of the term "I'm advised"...must be to do with overnight trading / grey market trading of shares or something. I'm not sure. There must be something in it though - It makes sense that there might be an upside to a PLC announcing a material purchase right before a two day break.

• Advertisement

Question...how old should a kid be before you bring them over to OT? My nephew is 3 (and a half) and I'd like to bring him.

No harm in bringing him at 3, but id say most kids that age will get bored fast. Wait til hes 6

Though Id say even he knows your talking nonsense when claiming "Todays the Day" :pac:;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

On this

Have a look at Scholes in the independent yesterday. He is indeed critical of not bringing in a top class cm but says only two were available, worried about defence when injuries strike. It's a balanced piece where he also praises the appointment of Van Gaal and take about systems, how the players responded straight away etc.

you have advisors?

Comedy Gold.

No I don't. If an engineer tells me that a specific metal was used to build something, I might use the phrase "I'm advised" if relaying that to someone else, because I don't know whether it's accurate or not. It's legalese caveat get out speak...nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Im surprised to be honest that I look to be winning our little wager, but Im just so disappointed we havent signed someone.

I have to say the Rojo thing gave me some hope but I knew from Tuesday a week off beckoned. Still feeling a little positive, just want to see the fame tomorrow and how it goes at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Taok wrote: »

Many people who watched the youth side around that time would actually have said Beckham, Scholes and Butt in particular were outstanding talents. They would say similar of Wilson and Januzaj.

They do not say the same about James, Keane or Blackett. Most of the big youth team watchers were surprised (but delighted) that Blacket was taken on the tour, as they would have considered Thorpe a better player, but still not at the level required.

So, I don't think it is fair to say it is a fact the same would have been said in 95 - though they'd have been right regarding O'Kane and Cooke, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's starting to look like Rojo and thats it for the transfer business this window imo.

Any other deals could have been done by now so the likes of Vidal aren't coming, time to move on.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    It's starting to look like Rojo and thats it for the transfer business this window imo.

Any other deals could have been done by now so the likes of Vidal aren't coming, time to move on.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most realistic thing Ive read today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

dahat wrote: »
    jack_sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

twam2008 wrote: »
    People are blaming Woody because it all seems very familiar to last years transfer window and Woody is in charge of transfers. And how anyone can say the Shaw and Herrera deals were quick is beyond me?

Woody is in charge of getting the transfers done that LVG has told him to get done. Shaw/Herrera were done quickly and quitely this window.

If LVG is not asking for Di Maria, Hummels etc Woodward is not going to bid for them.

The free ride LVG is getting here is crazy. Personally I have faith in him and his system. He obviously wants more defenders as we have bid for one, maybe two. If that all LVG thinks we need, I have faith in him, not thE doomsayers.

has something changed re vidal today thats would people up?

this is running until deadline day i think, unless he actually comes out and says "i am not leaving" or Bayern gets him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

has there ever been a Presser where we announce something amazing that no body knew or expected ?

• Advertisement

this is running until deadline day i think, unless he actually comes out and says "i am not leaving" or Bayern gets him.

I think its dead in the water myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

it will drag on, papers need to sell but the complete lack of updates (bar rojo) is not good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Reedsie wrote: »
    Why not read Paul's article in the Independent instead of being spoon-fed it with a mix of bulls*it by Darren Witcoop of the Telegraph?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-louis-van-gaal-looks-a-scary-man-good-he-has-already-restored-the-fear-factor-at-manchester-united-9670003.html

Love the bit clearing the air about his Rooney comments.

I think its dead in the water myself.

i dunno, Woodward wants his marquee signing and i think we are going all out to get him.

in saying that, if the deal is not progressing, we need to learn to move on quicker and not wait until the players moves to other clubs or says they are staying.

either way however, i agree with the point a few posters have brought up, there definitely is something wrong with our transfer approach within the club. its not all Woodwards fault as its been there for 5 years or more, but its been very poor in the last 12 months - we are now in a situation where the need for signings is even higher than last year which is something that shouldnt have been allowed to happen. we have taken a gamble so far getting rid of players, i assume with the intention of having them replaced before season (perhaps even pre-season) started, but it hasnt worked out.

is it the Glazers? do we really have the money available that we all think we have? are we just not attactive for players?

it could also be argued that big signings has never been our way and we try to develop young players and while its admirable, the game has changed too much now and we have fallen behind - last years drop (though of course no where near as bad) was coming for a few years and our European performances since 2011 have been average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The Rojo deal is ongoing.
    Daley Blind is apparently on the move somewhere and it could be to us.
    Arturo Vidal is a slim possibilty.

I dont see the need to self destruct just yet.

Also I firmly believe January could be a good window for us with us on target for a top 4 finish and players knocked out of the Champions League at that time becoming available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Woody is in charge of getting the transfers done that LVG has told him to get done. Shaw/Herrera were done quickly and quitely this window.

If LVG is not asking for Di Maria, Hummels etc Woodward is not going to bid for them.

The free ride LVG is getting here is crazy. Personally I have faith in him and his system. He obviously wants more defenders as we have bid for one, maybe two. If that all LVG thinks we need, I have faith in him, not thE doomsayers.

Love this attitude, you honestly think the only reason they are not pulling on a United shirt is because LVG doesn't want them?

A bid may not have gone in because it may have been established early on that either player is not interested in the move.

Clubs have a reputation to take care of aswell, they need that fall back (in case they fail to land a major target) to be able to leave it open to interpretation as to whether they were actually in for a player or not.

United do this better than any other club. Their inactivity is always seen as "the club not seeing value in the market/nobody tickles their fancy". When in reality, for all we know they could just as easily be getting knocked back left right and centre in private by the very top targets.

Its like a coping mechanism in a way. If the target doesn't choose us then we are not on record as having wanted him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Love this attitude, you honestly think the only reason they are not pulling on a United shirt is because LVG doesn't want them?

That was part of the point I was trying to make. People are upset at the lack of signings and blaming Woodward 100% "becasue he is in charge of transfers" and other silly logic when from what has been reported is that LVG has shown no interest in some deals and himself said no signings for three weeks while he looks at the squad then asked for Vermalen.

The point you make about players not wanting to come is valid too, thats my point also. There are many reson that things are not happening, n0.1 for me is LVG has not asked for half the names the press are reporting. The other half is they don't want to come ie Vermalen but according to many tantrum throwers on here its 100% on Woody.

If your manager is not asking for xy and z player, is taking three weeks to assess the squad, rival mangers and players preferrinG Barca to UTD you are not going to find it easy. Transfers windows are not as simple as I want so and so and he'll want to come so we just buy him.

The main reason for our lack of movement is LVG joinig late, taking 3 weeks to asses and then going for players who preffered abroad, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

is it the Glazers? do we really have the money available that we all think we have? are we just not attactive for players?

It can't just be financial. We have signed 4 players at around £30M in the last year, Mata, Fellaini, Shaw and Hererra. Not just paying that money, but many would argue that we overpaid for some/most of them. Mata is a star, but was unwanted at Chelsea and yet still we paid huge money. Fellaini was a ba11s up, well documented regarding the release clause etc. Shaw is a risk at that money, worth it IMO but still a massive fee for a youngster.

As for attractiveness, it's a possibility. But the issue here isn't just regarding the huge money superstars like Vidal and others we have missed in the past. Even signing squad players or solid but unspectacular players like Rojo seems to be proving difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The issues with transfer policy are from having SAF in charge for over 20 years. He selected who the team bought, simple as that.

There was no need to have a system for acquiring players when uncertainty over who the manager would be the following season existed.

Moyes set about getting players in that he specifically wanted and the club were used to the manager making those decisions. They probably had to back Moyes and what he wanted rather than persuing SAFs reported targets (Strootman for example).

Maybe the club should look at having someone/a group with the authority/experience to buy players if the manager situation ever repeats itself and we end up with a temporary manager down the road. Squad gaps in defence for example could be avoided, giving whoever the next manager is the best pool of players we can from day one.

Once a permanent manager is in place they should be the only one picking the players that should be bought imo.

It a difficult thing to get right though and even Chelsea who are used to manager changes had issues getting players they needed last summer when they couldn't get a top class striker. They had the numbers but not the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Some people get so worked up over things you have no control over. I'm not even from Manchester. I'll just support my team and have a laugh and continue to get incredibly angry at TC23 whenever he is on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Click for full quality version:

Bu-so5nCMAAeRXj.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The sky mans source is adamant that we'll sign Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The Vidal news on sky was just the allegri quotes that "Vidal is going nowhere"

The sky mans source is adamant that we'll sign Rojo.

of course we will though its going to drag longer than the club would have wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

i didnt reply to you as you didnt ask me any question or gave me impression you were asking one.

what exactly are you asking?
    Bugatti wrote: »
    Fine, I'll make it as clear as possible for you. Where in that article did it suggest that "LVG is getting pissed off with how the club have acted"? And why would "people have lost patience with Woodward completely" based on that article?

I made my questions very clear in my previous post and since you didnt reply to it am I to assume that infact there was nothing in that article to suggest LVG is pissed off with the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Lads, what are the changes of Ashley Young starting? Good first goal bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    With Shaw injured there is a good possibility he'll be starting wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Decent option for the fantasy team anyway. Speaking of which I better get my team sorted..

Bugatti wrote: »
    I made my questions very clear in my previous post and since you didnt reply to it am I to assume that infact there was nothing in that article to suggest LVG is pissed off with the club?

jesus christ, you are like a bad smell. i happened to be offline for almost all of yesterday evening, i have other things to be doing besides replying to you, not sure why you your obsessing over this points either or it matters so much to you.

youve read the article, so have i. its quite obvious that (according to the article) LVG isnt happy with whats going on, growing frustrated or pissed off what ever way you want to word it.

why not drop the writer a tweet (he is very responsive and open for discussion) and discuss the content of it with him, as opposed to bugging me over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You guys are getting an exclusive here, hasn't gone up on twitter yet:

http://balls.ie/football/wheres-woody-question-every-united-fans-lips/

t8m1iNx.jpg

Don't say I don't serve the community.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement