Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads, what are the changes of Ashley Young starting? Good first goal bet?

Judging by our defense, Id say Bony will be a better shout :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I reckon we'll start line up like this against Swansea:

de Gea
    Jones - Smalling - Blackett
    Young
    James
    Fletcher - Herrera

Mata

Rooney - Welbeck

Depending on fitness:

Evans <-> Blackett
    Welbeck <-> Chicharito

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

advertsfox wrote: »
    Click for full quality version:

Bu-so5nCMAAeRXj.jpg:large

How could they forget the Guinness International Champions Cup?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Augmerson wrote: »
    How could they forget the Guinness International Champions Cup?!

I don't think you ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Two weeks and at least 3 players needed, 2 of them would need to go into the starting 11 too. It's not looking rosy, clubs will try hold us to ransom over players now when we reach the desperate stage

It's pointless condemning anybody now, wait until the window is closed or if the first few results don't go our way

Even at that, Rojo and Blind being our only signings would not be good IMO, both are probably squad players and I don't think that would give us the quality to break back into the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

jesus christ, you are like a bad smell. i happened to be offline for almost all of yesterday evening, i have other things to be doing besides replying to you, not sure why you your obsessing over this points either or it matters so much to you.

youve read the article, so have i. its quite obvious that (according to the article) LVG isnt happy with whats going on, growing frustrated or pissed off what ever way you want to word it.

why not drop the writer a tweet (he is very responsive and open for discussion) and discuss the content of it with him, as opposed to bugging me over it?

Yes it is obvious from the article that LVG is pissed off. Pissed off that he didn't get Vermalen because Wenger wouldn't sell him to an English club. And Vidal off because the Vidal saga is dragging on so long because Juventus, as the article states are proving difficult to deal with.

There are plenty of reasons for fans to be unhappy. For one I'm sure when Shaw was signed not one of us expected him to be (more than likely) the last new face brought in before the season opener. But it annoys me when people twist an article (and I don't just mean you Homer) to try and make out thing are worse behind the scenes at the club then they really are. It's what I'd expect from an ABU, not a Utd fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Transfer policy at united has been broken for years but papered over by the momentum of Ferguson’s teams and the great get out clause of Chelsea’s & City’s money.

Since United won the Treble in 99 they have brought in 70 players in 15 years.

Here’s the list of those under Ferguson:

Mark Bosnich Aston Villa Free
    Quinton Fortune Atletico Madrid £1,500,000
    Massimo Taibi Venezia £4,900,000
    Mikael Silvestre Internazionale £4,000,000
    Fabien Barthez AS Monaco £7,800,000
    Andy Goram Motherwell Loan
    Ruud van Nistelrooy PSV Eindhoven £19,000,000
    Juan Sebastián Verón Lazio £28,100,000
    Roy Carroll Wigan Athletic £2,500,000
    Laurent Blanc Internazionale Free
    Mads Timm Odense Free
    Diego Forlan Independiente £7,500,000
    Luke Steele Peterborough United £500,000
    Rio Ferdinand Leeds United £30,000,000
    Ricardo Valladolid £1,500,000
    Souleymane Mamam La Semeuse Lomé Unknown
    David Bellion Sunderland £2,000,000
    Eric Djemba-Djemba Nantes £3,500,000
    Tim Howard New Jersey Metrostars £1,200,000
    Cristiano Ronaldo Sporting Club £12,240,000
    Kleberson Atletico PR £5,930,000
    Giuseppe Rossi Parma Free
    Liam Miller Celtic Free
    Louis Saha Fulham £12,825,000
    Alan Smith Leeds United £7,050,000
    Gabriel Heinze Paris Saint-Germain £6,900,000
    Gerard Pique Barcelona £5,000,000
    Fangzou Dong Dalian Shide £3,500,000
    Wayne Rooney Everton £25,600,000
    Ji-Sung Park PSV Eindhoven £4,000,000
    Edwin van der Sar Fulham £2,000,000
    Ben Foster Stoke City £1,000,000
    Nemanja Vidic Spartak Moscow £7,200,000
    Patrice Evra AS Monaco £5,500,000
    Michael Carrick Tottenham Hotspur £18,600,000
    Henrik Larsson Helsingborgs Loan
    Owen Hargreaves Bayern Munich £17,000,000
    Tomasz Kuszczak West Bromwich Albion £4,000,000
    Nani Sporting Club £17,300,000
    Anderson FC Porto £20,400,000
    Carlos Tévez Corinthians Loan
    Federico Macheda Lazio Free
    Manucho Petro Atlético Unknown
    Rodrigo Possebon Internacional Unknown
    Rafael da Silva Fluminense £2,600,000
    Fabio da Silva Fluminense £2,600,000
    Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur £30,750,000
    Zoran Tosic Partizan FK £7,000,000
    Ritchie De Laet Stoke City Unknown
    Antonio Valencia Wigan Athletic £16,000,000
    Michael Owen Newcastle United Free
    Gabriel Obertan Bordeaux £3,000,000
    Mame Biram Diouf Molde FK £2,000,000
    Chris Smalling Fulham £10,000,000
    Javier Hernández Deportivo Guadalajara £6,000,000
    Bebe Guimaraes £7,400,000
    Anders Lindegaard Aalesunds FK £3,500,000
    Phil Jones Blackburn Rovers £17,000,000
    Ashley Young Aston Villa £16,000,000
    David de Gea Atletico Madrid £18,000,000
    Shinji Kagawa Borussia Dortmund £12,000,000
    Nick Powell Crewe Alexandra £4,000,000
    Robin van Persie Arsenal £24,000,000
    Alexander Buttner Vitesse £3,900,000
    Ángelo Henríquez Universidad de Chile £4,000,000
    Wilfried Zaha Crystal Palace £15,000,000

I reckon only about 19/20 of these have been a success and only about 4 of them have come since 2007.

When you look at it on paper some of the money wasted is staggering. If Liverpool did this (they did) we’d be rolling around laughing at them.

Apart from the well documented ones such as Djemba Djemba / Kleberson / Veron there’s:

£17M for Hargreaves
    £17M for Nani
    £20M for Anderson
    £31M for Berbatov
    £7M for Tosic?????
    £16M for Valencia
    £10M for Smalling
    £7M for Bebe
    £17M for Jones
    £16M for Young
    £15M for Zaha

When you look at it, apart from some very astute business in the early 90s when Schmeichel, Irwin, Keane (British Record) & Cantona were picked up for a song and the academy produced a once in a lifetime group of kids, United have actually been one of the worst teams in Europe in terms of transfer business. Ferguson had lost touch with it for 5 years before he left and we’re still just muddling through now.

United need a Director of Football to come in and fix this from the ground up. The ironic thing is Moyes was probably as close as we’ve come to fixing this but bless him he couldn’t make decisions when it came to the crunch.

United’s transfers have been broke for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Coat22 wrote: »
    Transfer policy at united has been broken for years but papered over by the momentum of Ferguson’s teams and the great get out clause of Chelsea’s & City’s money.

Since United won the Treble in 99 they have brought in 70 players in 15 years.

Here’s the list of those under Ferguson:

Mark Bosnich Aston Villa Free
    Quinton Fortune Atletico Madrid £1,500,000
    Massimo Taibi Venezia £4,900,000
    Mikael Silvestre Internazionale £4,000,000
    Fabien Barthez AS Monaco £7,800,000
    Andy Goram Motherwell Loan
    Ruud van Nistelrooy PSV Eindhoven £19,000,000
    Juan Sebastián Verón Lazio £28,100,000
    Roy Carroll Wigan Athletic £2,500,000
    Laurent Blanc Internazionale Free
    Mads Timm Odense Free
    Diego Forlan Independiente £7,500,000
    Luke Steele Peterborough United £500,000
    Rio Ferdinand Leeds United £30,000,000
    Ricardo Valladolid £1,500,000
    Souleymane Mamam La Semeuse Lomé Unknown
    David Bellion Sunderland £2,000,000
    Eric Djemba-Djemba Nantes £3,500,000
    Tim Howard New Jersey Metrostars £1,200,000
    Cristiano Ronaldo Sporting Club £12,240,000
    Kleberson Atletico PR £5,930,000
    Giuseppe Rossi Parma Free
    Liam Miller Celtic Free
    Louis Saha Fulham £12,825,000
    Alan Smith Leeds United £7,050,000
    Gabriel Heinze Paris Saint-Germain £6,900,000
    Gerard Pique Barcelona £5,000,000
    Fangzou Dong Dalian Shide £3,500,000
    Wayne Rooney Everton £25,600,000
    Ji-Sung Park PSV Eindhoven £4,000,000
    Edwin van der Sar Fulham £2,000,000
    Ben Foster Stoke City £1,000,000
    Nemanja Vidic Spartak Moscow £7,200,000
    Patrice Evra AS Monaco £5,500,000
    Michael Carrick Tottenham Hotspur £18,600,000
    Henrik Larsson Helsingborgs Loan
    Owen Hargreaves Bayern Munich £17,000,000
    Tomasz Kuszczak West Bromwich Albion £4,000,000
    Nani Sporting Club £17,300,000
    Anderson FC Porto £20,400,000
    Carlos Tévez Corinthians Loan
    Federico Macheda Lazio Free
    Manucho Petro Atlético Unknown
    Rodrigo Possebon Internacional Unknown
    Rafael da Silva Fluminense £2,600,000
    Fabio da Silva Fluminense £2,600,000
    Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur £30,750,000
    Zoran Tosic Partizan FK £7,000,000
    Ritchie De Laet Stoke City Unknown
    Antonio Valencia Wigan Athletic £16,000,000
    Michael Owen Newcastle United Free
    Gabriel Obertan Bordeaux £3,000,000
    Mame Biram Diouf Molde FK £2,000,000
    Chris Smalling Fulham £10,000,000
    Javier Hernández Deportivo Guadalajara £6,000,000
    Bebe Guimaraes £7,400,000
    Anders Lindegaard Aalesunds FK £3,500,000
    Phil Jones Blackburn Rovers £17,000,000
    Ashley Young Aston Villa £16,000,000
    David de Gea Atletico Madrid £18,000,000
    Shinji Kagawa Borussia Dortmund £12,000,000
    Nick Powell Crewe Alexandra £4,000,000
    Robin van Persie Arsenal £24,000,000
    Alexander Buttner Vitesse £3,900,000
    Ángelo Henríquez Universidad de Chile £4,000,000
    Wilfried Zaha Crystal Palace £15,000,000

I reckon only about 19/20 of these have been a success and only about 4 of them have come since 2007.

When you look at it on paper some of the money wasted is staggering. If Liverpool did this (they did) we’d be rolling around laughing at them.

Apart from the well documented ones such as Djemba Djemba / Kleberson / Veron there’s:

£17M for Hargreaves
    £17M for Nani
    £20M for Anderson
    £31M for Berbatov
    £7M for Tosic?????
    £16M for Valencia
    £10M for Smalling
    £7M for Bebe
    £17M for Jones
    £16M for Young
    £15M for Zaha

When you look at it, apart from some very astute business in the early 90s when Schmeichel, Irwin, Keane (British Record) & Cantona were picked up for a song and the academy produced a once in a lifetime group of kids, United have actually been one of the worst teams in Europe in terms of transfer business. Ferguson had lost touch with it for 5 years before he left and we’re still just muddling through now.

United need a Director of Football to come in and fix this from the ground up. The ironic thing is Moyes was probably as close as we’ve come to fixing this but bless him he couldn’t make decisions when it came to the crunch.

United’s transfers have been broke for years.

RnmtSX4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads, what are the changes of Ashley Young starting? Good first goal bet?
    He has scored 3 goals in 2 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A much better bet is him "winning" a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kirby wrote: »
    A much better bet is him "winning" a penalty.

That would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

That would be great.

Stick a few quid on Shelvy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Transfer policy at united has been broken for years...............

I presume you have gone through the history of other teams and not just Man United to come to the presumption that United are "one of the worst teams in Europe in terms of transfer business"?

The success of transfers is a lot lower than I think you believe. And every team certainly has their howlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Carricks injured, and I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) during the second half of one of the preseason games VG dropped Fletcher to CB to try him there...I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

Forgot about his injury. Whoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Reedsie wrote: »
    I presume you have gone through the history of other teams and not just Man United to come to the presumption that United are "one of the worst teams in Europe in terms of transfer business"?

The success of transfers is a lot lower than I think you believe. And every team certainly has their howlers.

I'd say its hard to argue that United's transfer policy hasn't been 'broken' for quite a while now. Even on its own the horrific neglect of the midfield sector for over five years is evidence of serious problems with the transfer policy.

As someone who tends to be pretty chill about these things, even I have to admit that United's transfer policy has been pretty poor for a number of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I think we should all give out for another few days at least.

Like those bunch of priests stuck in the home in Father Ted when he switches on the light

You know I dont care if we dont get Vidal.

In ideal world he is what we need. But if we dont get him then we can have a Plan B and Plan C in place. oh wait.....

It looks like we dont have one but who knows only Ed and the Gang.

You see ever since we got destroyed by Barca its been 4 long summers since of false promise and disappointment in the most crucical area that has needed repairing.

We aint asking for 10 or 11 players. Just the standard 4-5 players will do whilst getting least 2 big names in there that are proven quality.

and people can talk trash talk about "people losing it" (go take a ****ing hike with that ****), but all we want is just some quality.

its like as if we have to be happy and apparecite being lucky to have a CM thats too fat, another that is moving on age wise, another who our own fans boo, another that nearly died last year and another that runs away from the ball as far away as possible..

But no I will apologise for wanting a few decent players.

I think this season could be the tipping point for the club if they go with the current squad. I don't mean tipping point as in we'll go the way of Leeds. I mean the attitude towards transfers will completely change.
    The reason I think this is, if our current injury prone players spend large amounts of the season out of action, we could see the club finish in a similar position to last season.
    Rafeal, Young, Evans, Nani, Jones, Carrick, Fletcher, RVP, Smalling all have various types of fitness problems. A few of them are already showing their previous injury plagued form. If there is an injury crisis, or crises, there simply isnt the players to replace them and ultimately results will suffer - no matter who the manager is.
    The club has to stop wasting opportunities to fix the squad. And it does need fixing.

I think this season could be the tipping point for the club if they go with the current squad.

Whatever about the players, if we miss out on Europe again then damn right it will be a tipping point. And that current squad won't make Europe as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

As someone who tends to be pretty chill about these things, even I have to admit that United's transfer policy has been pretty poor for a number of years now.

its not just transfers though, other aspects have been neglected you could argue.

think it was Daniel taylor who called it a club that was "run like a Sunday league team" when dissecting how things were over the last few years.

our scouting network appeared to have been one of the biggest shocks for Moyes and he put steps in place to change that. LVG already is in the process of changing many things also regarding training set up in carrington.

i would imagine our injury record or more to the point non-impact tears would be something LVG would look at as its pretty poor.

you can have injury crisis every now and then and they are perfectly normal, but if the current volume continues in the coming weeks, it would be the 4th season out of 6 where weve had major injury issues and that shouldnt happen to a club like ours - City, Chelsea and the top level European clubs just dont seem to have the same volume of regular injury lists as we do.

Whatever about the players, if we miss out on Europe again then damn right it will be a tipping point. And that current squad won't make Europe as far as I am concerned.

I tend to agree. This is a very competitive PL season we're heading into. City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton are going to be hard to compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

That's the crux of it, we can make excuses as much as we want, but if we don't qualify for Europe again S*it will really start to hit the fan. If you look at Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City's team, it's very hard to see how we are going to break in there with our squad as it stands.

Thing is we are only 3 or 4 players away from having a serious dam good side.

but becuase they such keys positions the difference is greater and more urgent.

We dont need to go mad this summer of spending spree, but we still are CM and CB away from having a side that is going make CL easy enough.

I dont expect miracles from LVG. He will improve us but only by so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

What i dont understand is how are we struggling when we have so much on the line we will lose 20mill+ just from the adidas sponsorship if we dont get CL football next year. while its not all woodwards fault (weve always struggled to get big names from abroad), how we've got to august and not signed even a single back up CB (not to mind a starter) is beyond me.

Thing is we are only 3 or 4 players away from having a serious dam good side.

but becuase they such keys positions the difference is greater and more urgent.

We dont need to go mad this summer of spending spree, but we still are CM and CB away from having a side that is going make CL easy enough.

I dont expect miricales from LVG. He will improve us but only by so much.

THIS!!

its not just transfers though, other aspects have been neglected you could argue.

think it was Daniel taylor who called it a club that was "run like a Sunday league team" when dissecting how things were over the last few years.

our scouting network appeared to have been one of the biggest shocks for Moyes and he put steps in place to change that. LVG already is in the process of changing many things also regarding training set up in carrington.

i would imagine our injury record or more to the point non-impact tears would be something LVG would look at as its pretty poor.

you can have injury crisis every now and then and they are perfectly normal, but if the current volume continues in the coming weeks, it would be the 4th season out of 6 where weve had major injury issues and that shouldnt happen to a club like ours - City, Chelsea and the top level European clubs just dont seem to have the same volume of regular injury lists as we do.

I think an element of this is that it can be a double edged sword having a long standing manager like SAF. I mean a quarter of a century is a bloody long time to have one man in power and while he was there the club saw unprecedented success, but the other side of that is that you don't have fresh ideas coming into the club so when he leaves the job you're left behind in a lot of ways compared to clubs that have modernized the way they do things.

That's not in any way an attempt to blame Ferguson for anything, but I think some parts of the club have been trapped in an older era, simply as a side effect of having one man in the hot seat, with so much control, for so long.

I'm quite excited to see the changes that happen over the next few years, starting with things like Van Gaal ripping up trees around Carington for example (or the opposite, as the case may be :pac:).

I think this season could be the tipping point for the club if they go with the current squad. I don't mean tipping point as in we'll go the way of Leeds. I mean the attitude towards transfers will completely change.

I think transfer dealings had to change the second Fergie left. In all probability we won't get a manager like him for a long time.

It does need improvements no doubt, but it has to be remembered that Moyes helped make them look a lot worse than they are last season. Still holding out hope for a CB and CM hopefully with some LB cover thrown in. I would be happy with Rojo and Blind, but while not exactly holding my breath Vidal with one (or both) of them would be incredible.

• Advertisement

I dont expect miricles from LVG.

i do...i really do. i think he can take us to the top 4 which would be a miracle with what is now, the worst squad of players the club has had in many years.

he got a very average Dutch squad to the world cup semi final and seems to have brought back the unity and team spirit that was lacking since Fergie left.

us having LVG is the only thing that reassures me this season along with the fact that every single one of our players were gash last season and cant play anywhere near as bad.

injurys could kill us, but if we get two or three players in before end of the month it will counteract that. im heading to the game tomorrow and going there really really nervous, but excited.

if we had Evra and Rio (i think we'd no choice of keeping Vidic) id expect us to walk through Swansea, but the crowd will be very nervous and anxious with potentially young, blackett and James in defence and this could create alot of issues with the performance.

i think we will scrape a win, without playing well - something we did with Fergie for the last 4 year of his tenure.

You really don't have to spend months researching this to come to the conclusion that United have been one of Europe's worst (certainly in the big leagues - may be some in Ukraine / Russia who have wasted more - I don't care)

As Kew Tour as pointed out - its been 4 summers since Barca made a show of us and showed our mid field up for what it was. Ferguson chose to ignore it and Moyes in fairness got Herrara in. Both Feruson and Moyes set back and watched the back 4 grow old together and did nothing. Jones was bought but he's not the answer. 2 seasons ago at least one new CB should have been brought in but this was ignored and went for RVP as an incredible short term solution to winning a league.

Moyes in fairness got Herrara in.

No he didn't. We were interested in Herrera before him, and signed him after Moyes had left. By a lot of reports he scuppered that deal last year in favour of Fellaini because he didn't know much about Herrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

22hrs and xx mins to the season kicks off :cool:

ZJVu7e.gif

Ya wait till Swansea beat us in 24 hours:o:pac:

gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2726.gif

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    No he didn't. We were interested in Herrera before him, and signed him after Moyes had left. By a lot of reports he scuppered that deal last year in favour of Fellaini because he didn't know much about Herrera.

Moyes did the donkey work on Herrera. Chickened out last season when it came to splashing the cash but he laid the groundwork for the summers 2 signings.

You really don't have to spend months researching this to come to the conclusion that United have been one of Europe's worst (certainly in the big leagues - may be some in Ukraine / Russia who have wasted more - I don't care)
    I'll take that as a no. You mentioned Liverpool so who have been their biggest investments over the years?

Sakho last season, Joe Allen the season before. Stewart Downing before that. Andy Carroll, Glen Johnson, Robbie Keane..

Over the same period we've had Mata, Van Persie, De Gea, Smalling, Valencia and Berbatov.

Which would you rather?

We all know that we've had midfield problems, not many if any will argue differently. But we have two of the best strikers in the world. One of the best keepers in the world. One of the best no.10's in the world.

To say we are the worst team for transfer dealings in Europe is just silly and uninformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm still confident that we'll sign a few players before the window closes which will keep me happy. Actually, **** that, **** Woody, **** it all, we haven't signed anyone yet and I'm pissed off. I'll calm down when we win the league as I fully expect we will do. I'll go ****ing bananas if we **** it up as I predict we will. I'm not really sure how I feel but I'll keep testing the waters here until I eventually get dizzy from my u-turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:mad: don't be ruing my buzz :p

I just want to be watching United again (good/bad/indifferent) it'll be all fun and games ;) Let the real fan wars begin :pac:

We'll probably beat Swansea, I have no clue whatsoever of what form they are in or even what sort of team they have this season.

It still won't change the reality of our squad deficiencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'm still confident that we'll sign a few players before the window closes which will keep me happy. Actually, **** that, **** Woody, **** it all, we haven't signed anyone yet and I'm pissed off. I'll calm down when we win the league as I fully expect we will do. I'll go ****ing bananas if we **** it up as I predict we will. I'm not really sure how I feel but I'll keep testing the waters here until I eventually get dizzy from my u-turns.

And I'll stick my head in the sand and ignore the blatantly obvious because I'm such a real fan. Works both ways. We all went the best for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

We'll probably beat Swansea, I have no clue whatsoever of what form they are in or even what sort of team they have this season.

It still won't change the reality of our squad deficiencies.

No it won't, but us winning 3-1 and Rooney to get the first would sure make me happy!

To say we are the worst team for transfer dealings in Europe is just silly and uninformed.

i wouldnt say we are the worst in Europe, but we are definitely up there for being the worst of the BIG clubs.

Arsenal are pretty poor also, though have had a much better summer than normal.

last summer and this summer so far has been very very poor to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Tomorrow's game won't be a walk in the park, Swansea's attack and midfield are well capable against what they will be playing against tomorrow

I'll take that as a no. You mentioned Liverpool so who have been their biggest investments over the years?

Sakho last season, Joe Allen the season before. Stewart Downing before that. Andy Carroll, Glen Johnson, Robbie Keane..

Over the same period we've had Mata, Van Persie, De Gea, Smalling, Valencia and Berbatov.

Which would you rather?

We all know that we've had midfield problems, not many if any will argue differently. But we have two of the best strikers in the world. One of the best keepers in the world. One of the best no.10's in the world.

Yes I did mention Liverpool - and why I said United were "One OF the worst" - I completely agree Liverpool have been shocking in the transfer market (going back to the early 90s).

De Gea and RVP have been probably the only 2 transfer successes since Evra and Vidic came in. Mata will hopefully work out but was still almost £40M for an unwanted Chelsea player.

We have ignored midfield, made poor defender purchases (how we got out of the Buttner mess without losing money is the one positive in the whole thing) and allowed players like Valencia remain on rather than ship them out when they started to go down hill.

Its schoolboy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

08-13 net spend: 1. City £531m 2. CFC £157m 3. LFC £135m 4. Stoke £109m

MUFC £84m Arsenal £26m

figures from Jonathan Northcroft, Sunday Times, on Twitter

Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

i wouldnt say we are the worst in Europe, but we are definitely up there for being the worst of the BIG clubs.

Arsenal are pretty poor also, though have had a much better summer than normal.

last summer and this summer so far has been very very poor to say the least.

Worst of the BIG clubs is surely AC Milan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

presser in 10 minutes
    how's gettin bo****xed out of it first
    €5 on Ogden

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

brinty wrote: »
    presser in 10 minutes
    how's gettin bo****xed out of it first
    €5 on Ogden

3pm isn't it?

08-13 net spend: 1. City £531m 2. CFC £157m 3. LFC £135m 4. Stoke £109m

MUFC £84m Arsenal £26m

figures from Jonathan Northcroft, Sunday Times, on Twitter

Crazy.

the ronaldo money disorts alot as does the silly spending City did in 07-10.

last 3 years our net spending is almost the same as City....they just got better value and better players and hence now, have a better team than us by a considerable margain.

they are signing the likes of Navas, Ferdnandinho, Nastasic, Nasri, Negredo - we are signing Jones, Young, Fellaini & Zaha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement