Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Coat22 wrote: »
    Moyes did the donkey work on Herrera. Chickened out last season when it came to splashing the cash but he laid the groundwork for the summers 2 signings.
    If anything, he came close to scuppering the whole thing by ditching Herrera at the last minute for Fellaini (at Bilbao they are not exactly friendly to players who want out) and then claiming with Woodward that the whole thing was a hoax of sorts, that the agents negotiating had nothing to do with us. We were lucky Herrera didn't go and tell us to f*** ourselves after that, because it must have been a pretty humiliating ordeal. We had been interested in Herrera since we played Bilbao we Ferguson was still around, and signed him after Moyes left. Interest in him dropped off during Moyes' time here so we could get Fellaini of all people. I really fail to see how that is 'laying the groundwork' for Herrera, and to be honest am unclear in how he did that for Shaw either.

Even the Mata signing is interesting as Moyes clearly had no idea how to use him for the most part. If that was down to him also, he appears to have been under the impression that Mata was/is a winger, which is...

I will credit Moyes for bleeding in January, but that is the only positive contribution on our squad I can give him proper credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

3pm isn't it?

nope - MUTV will show it from 3pm and the non-embargoed part can be tweeted about from 2.30, but i'd like to see LVGs reaction to a reporter fiddling with his phone while LVG is speaking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Billy86 wrote: »
    If anything, he came close to scuppering the whole thing by ditching Herrera at the last minute for Fellaini (at Bilbao they are not exactly friendly to players who want out) and then claiming with Woodward that the whole thing was a hoax of sorts, that the agents negotiating had nothing to do with us. We were lucky Herrera didn't go and tell us to f*** ourselves after that, because it must have been a pretty humiliating ordeal. We had been interested in Herrera since we played Bilbao we Ferguson was still around, and signed him after Moyes left. Interest in him dropped off during Moyes' time here so we could get Fellaini of all people. I really fail to see how that is 'laying the groundwork' for Herrera, and to be honest am unclear in how he did that for Shaw either.

Even the Mata signing is interesting as Moyes clearly had no idea how to use him for the most part. If that was down to him also, he appears to have been under the impression that Mata was/is a winger, which is...

I will credit Moyes for bleeding in January, but that is the only positive contribution on our squad I can give him proper credit for.

Moyes didn't ditch Herrera for Fellaini - we couldn't get the deal done for Herrera, its as simple as that. the deal fell apart rather than Moyes not wanting him.

Mata was a woodward signing, not a Moyes one, from what I have been told (and think has been said in the media since Moyes was fired)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Fellani was bought in a panic by Moyes - he did not "ditch" Herara for him.

Mata was clearly not a Moyes buy (he was never going to fit into a Moyes team)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

who is most likely to start for ye this weekend?

James or Blackett? or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

tumblr_m1f6v2STDC1rppb1ko1_500.gif

Manchester United clear to sign Daley Blind as as Ajax confirm he can go

ad137763122epa04255789-dutc-e1402989913483.jpg?w=650&h=428&crop=1#038;h=675
    Manchester United are clear to complete the signing of Daley Blind after Ajax admitted that they won’t stand in the way of the player’s exit.

United have been in talks to sign Blind in the last few days and reports yesterday suggested a deal was very close, with the Dutchman already in England to house-hunt.

And now Ajax have paved the way for the transfer to happen by admitting that they won’t fight to keep hold of Blind.

‘If there is a certain amount of money on the table for Blind, we won’t refuse,’ said manager Frank De Boer.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/15/daley-blind-clear-to-make-manchester-united-transfer-with-ajax-happy-to-sell-4833972/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Manchester United and Barcelona target Juan Cuadrado has been left out of Fiorentina's squad for Saturday's meeting with Real Madrid, prompting speculation over his future.

From the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Vidal not saying much.
    Juve's #Vidal "My future? My future is to train well" via @Gazzetta_it

Moyes didn't ditch Herrera for Fellaini - we couldn't get the deal done for Herrera, its as simple as that. the deal fell apart rather than Moyes not wanting him.

Mata was a woodward signing, not a Moyes one, from what I have been told (and think has been said in the media since Moyes was fired)
    Oh don't get me wrong, he was a great signing (Mata) but it is only more recently that we have been using him correctly. His first two months or so at the club was embarrassing in terms of how much we were misusing him.

As for Herrera there was a lot of talk that Moyes felt more comfortable either Fellaini since he knew him better as a player, and dropped out on Herrera because of it. This quote would also seem to back that up a fair bit:

“The stuff about Herrera, we made an offer for 23 million pounds, and we were never going to go to the buyout clause. All the rubbish that was talked about that – with people going in, they were never working on behalf of us. Never at any time did we increase our offer."
    - David Moyes.

We then paid his buyout clause this summer and got things wrapped up quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Blind looks like a dutch Heinze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Surely we are looking into Reus rather than Di Maria, both quality players but Di maria's £50 m price is completely inflated. Talks reus is available at £25 m which would be a bargain in comparison. #reus7 :pac:

case885 wrote: »
    Surely we are looking into Reus rather than Di Maria, both quality players but Di maria's £50 m price is completely inflated. Talks reus is available at £25 m which would be a bargain in comparison. #reus7 :pac:
    let's just say I... Well I don't believe that for an instant. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

This sums up the transfer window for me :)

@ManUnitedWorld
    "#MUFC fans:

Wake up
    Open Twitter
    Search 'Vidal'
    Search 'Rojo'
    Search 'Cuadrado'
    Search 'Blind'
    Get annoyed
    Curse Woodward
    Try tomorrow"

Btw Hi I'm new..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

case885 wrote: »

The chances are everyone is looking into it, but the only club to "bid" will be the one he has indicated that he would like to join.

Big clubs don't bid for players when they know they don't want to join them.

Alot goes on in the background before a bid is named, usually a club has an idea of whether they have a chance or not. If not, then its better PR to step back and claim you were not interested at all, when in all honesty there was no chance of it happening even if you did make a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

let's just say I... Well I don't believe that for an instant. :p

Would be crazy alright but he will inevitably leave next season if he stays for £20 m which is his buyout clause. He still should be making £35m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kilrush wrote: »
    This sums up the transfer window for me :)

Btw Hi I'm new..

Hi!

Mine's a little different. It usually goes:
    • Wake up
    • Open this thread
    • facepalm2_small.jpg
    • Press F5
    • facepalm2_small.jpg
    • Press F5

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 32s
    The manager has confirmed Sam Johnstone, Antonio Valencia, Luke Shaw, Jonny Evans and Danny Welbeck are all injured. #mufc

Will he say we have players coming in? Will he say we don't need players? Will he get his b0llocks out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

TheTownie wrote: »
    Jonny Evans injured

Abandon thread.

Press told not to ask about transfers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Mr Gaal, your team looks pretty crap, why did you not buy any players this summer?"

Reedsie wrote: »
    Press told not to ask about transfers?

Probably saving those questions for the non-televised part so they having something worth reporting in their articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

7 players in total not available for tomorrow according to LVG and 9 players shipped out. i guess this is our squad then for tomorrow.

DDG
    Young---Jones--- Smalling
    Blackett----James.
    Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Hernandez

Subs : Lindegaard, Keane, Cleverly, Fellaini, Adnan, Nani and errm, Wilson??

on paper, it looks like a midtable team - theres 6,maybe even 7 players there tomorrow who wouldnt get into our rivals teams this weekend.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Probably saving those questions for the non-televised part so they having something worth reporting in their articles.

Yeah maybe so. We'll find out tomorrow or Sunday I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Coat22 wrote: »
    Yes I did mention Liverpool - and why I said United were "One OF the worst" - I completely agree Liverpool have been shocking in the transfer market (going back to the early 90s).

De Gea and RVP have been probably the only 2 transfer successes since Evra and Vidic came in. Mata will hopefully work out but was still almost £40M for an unwanted Chelsea player.

We have ignored midfield, made poor defender purchases (how we got out of the Buttner mess without losing money is the one positive in the whole thing) and allowed players like Valencia remain on rather than ship them out when they started to go down hill.

Its schoolboy stuff.

You don't think Nani was a success? 14-17m and was the best player in the league for about 1 and a half-2 seasons. Rafael who was bought for peanuts and first choice RB for 4 or 5 years. Hernandez, 7m and got some really big goals. If you really believe that then your standards are too high.

It's also amazing how much larger transfer fees get when someone is criticising them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

7 players in total not available for tomorrow according to LVG and 9 players shipped out. i guess this is our squad then for tomorrow.

DDG
    Blackett----James.
    Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Hernandez

on paper, it looks like a midtable team - theres 6,maybe even 7 players there tomorrow who wouldnt get into our rivals teams this weekend.

Van Persie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

DDG
    Blackett----James.
    Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Hernandez

Mid table team?? Really, what utter nonsense.

Van Persie?

No chance according to Van Gaal today.

bullvine wrote: »

Well given that we had a mid-table team last year and that one is worse on paper...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He is right tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Liam O wrote: »
    You don't think Nani was a success? 14-17m and was the best player in the league for about 1 and a half-2 seasons. Rafael who was bought for peanuts and first choice RB for 4 or 5 years. Hernandez, 7m and got some really big goals. If you really believe that then your standards are too high.

It's also amazing how much larger transfer fees get when someone is criticising them.
    Nani was never the best player in the league. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with Homerjay on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

A mid table team like West Ham? Do they have players as good as Rooney, Mata, Chico, Herrara, Degea,

Do Spurs or Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looking at that team, Jesus wept for crying out loud

Foolishly praying that Woodward will deliver on his watch this space remark and we will sign Rojo, Blind, Cuadrado and Vidal over the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Louis van Gaal believes his squad is ready for the start of the Barclays Premier League season as Old Trafford prepares to welcome Swansea City for the Manchester United manager's first competitive game in charge.

The Dutchman is being forced to contend with a number of injury concerns after Michael Carrick was sidelined soon after the boss' arrival at the club. New signing Luke Shaw is also out for a month with a hamstring strain but van Gaal insists he has sufficient cover to approach Saturday's opener with confidence.

Robin van Persie is not fit enough to feature after his World Cup exertions with the Netherlands and Danny Welbeck is another forward out of action.

When asked about the injured players, van Gaal replied: "Sam Johnstone - the goalkeeper. Antonio Valencia, Shaw and Evans - three defenders. Welbeck. I believe that is it. Van Persie? No. He has to train. I've said that before.

"We have analysed Shaw and it is difficult to lay a finger on it. It is difficult to look for the solution but there are a lot of reasons. After the World Cup, all the players are coming back at different moments and it is very difficult to train. We have the travel, jet-lag and a lot of matches in 14 days. Another reason is the amount of training sessions but we are doing half of what I have done with the other clubs so I cannot assume we have done that wrong.

"We have played in the US with Reece James and Ashley Young in that position, so it is very well covered. I am very confident and I am not nervous. We have players injured and I am not nervous. We have beaten them all until now but tomorrow is the match that counts."

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Nani was never the best player in the league. :rolleyes:

Nah, he was just the best player on the best team.

Jesus wept for crying out loud

At the end of the day, in fairness, for Christ's sake.

*puts fingers in ears*
    LA-LA-LA-LA-REALLY-LOOKING-FORWARD-TO-THE-GAME-TOMORROW-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

Looking at that team, Jesus wept for crying out loud

Foolishly praying that Woodward will deliver on his watch this space remark and we will sign Rojo, Blind, Cuadrado and Vidal over the next few weeks

Would still probably be short at CB unless Carrick or Blind was to fill in at times which isn't really what's wanted. A nice sub 10m covering CB with Blind, Cuadrado and Rojo (all looking reasonably likely) and I could live without another CM for now I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have we ever had a worse defense than that for a Premier league game?

Nah, he was just the best player on the best team.

Which team? It wasnt United.

If he ever had a good game, it was rarely followed up with any performances of simpler caliber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DDG
    Blackett----James.
    Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    Hernandez

Really DDG, Mata, Herrera, Rooney and Hernandez then you can add it Jones and Smalling who are English internationals. You really do go into hyperbole when your trying to make a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Which team? It wasnt United.

If he ever had a good game, it was rarely followed up with any performances of simpler caliber.

You can have your dislike for Nani all you want/ It's not even up for debate for 12-18 months he was United's best player and was robbed when Bale got player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'm really surprised at you guys, only 3 new players, especially after all the talk last season about leaving it late.
    Do you think you have wasted too much time trying to get players like Vidal instead of "doing" a Liverpool or Newcastle?
    The biggest surprise for me is your defence. Very young and inexperienced. Midfield has improved with Herrera, but still looking a little light.
    Mata could well be your key player this season if he is played in the middle, his natural and best position.

I'm still tipping you for top 4

Would still probably be short at CB unless Carrick or Blind was to fill in at times which isn't really what's wanted. A nice sub 10m covering CB with Blind, Cuadrado and Rojo (all looking reasonably likely) and I could live without another CM for now I think.

I disagree. We needed at least 2 new CMs in the summer, and we only got 1. Fletcher is a covering player at best now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

What are you smoking? Apart from the fact that it was 7 years ago he has been a player who plays a stormer in every 5 games and gets substituted in the rest. For £17M in 2007 he should be a lot better than that.

Rafael cost £2.6M but came as part of a package with his brother for the same amount. He's been reasonably successful but I actually expect him to play really well as a wing back under VG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Do they have players as good as Rooney, Mata, Chico, Herrara, Degea,

Do Spurs or Everton?

Yes - Lukaku - Baines - Coleman - McCarthy - Barkley - Lloris - Vertongan - Eriksson - Sandro

All would walk onto THAT united team

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You can have your dislike for Nani all you want/ It's not even up for debate for 12-18 months he was United's best player and was robbed when Bale got player of the year.

Yeah its very much up for debate.

Youre viewing history with rose tinted glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So Woodwards "Watch this space" is looking like typical PR bs so far

Nani has been rubbish for a couple of years now, same as Valencia. Reminiscing about glories past isn't gonna win us games this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'm sure Swansea will send routledge and dyer out to run at our left flank. Blackett and James together on that side, with no orthodox wide player to help... That's looks dodgy.

Herrera, Rooney and de gae will have to be at their best tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement