Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    its gas, we get rid of Ferdinand, evra vidic and buttner and everyone is delighted saying they are terrible, past it (maybe not vidic) etc etc now giving out saying we got rid of 4 and only got 1 in... one as in shaw, but how many have actually seen Keane, Blackett, james play like 10 or more games? Valencia has been converted to a right back now so technically another defender.... but I will agree we are short but no champions league football this year I wouldn't be panicking

I've seen Keane play quite a bit and my opinion is he is not ready yet for a team with CL aspirations. Blackett would be the same. Honestly I'm surprised that James is getting this opportunity. Looked promising in pre-season, but I wouldn't go by that. Competitive senior PL football is a very different animal.

And Valencia has not been "converted" to a defender. He's been dropped into full back at times and has often cost us goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Well lads have we signed anyone yet. Haven't been on the net for a while....,I kid, I kid. Please don't lynch me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

van gaal knows what he is at lads....

imagine being on here after first game of the season 95/96 just lost 3-1 to villa, fergie dropped some of his biggest players, phil Neville, becks, gary Neville, scholes butt all playing id say there would have been uproar, if you don't give young players a chance how will you ever know if they are good enough. Hope keane blackett and james all go on to have great careers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think if we get one more defender and one more midfielder this window we'll be okay.
    Blind seems to be available, no reason to believe he won't be bought (if we are in for him). Ajax don't expect to keep him.
    Rojo will be sold, Sporting don't have a leg to stand on and they'll get sued into the ground if they don't let him go before the window closes
    Vidal, **** knows
    Cuadrado is for sale, he would rather go to Barcelona, but their offer isn't there
    Di Maria is for sale too. He's rather go to Paris, but they can't bid unless they sell

But none of these clubs are in any hurry to sell. Ajax, Fiorentina, Madrid want to keep things open for as long as possible to give time for another offer to come in. Sporting want some money (they aren't entitled to) for their player. It's in United's interest to get the players as soon as possible, but there's no benefit to the selling club.

There's a reason so many transfers happen on deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Whatever about the players, if we miss out on Europe again then damn right it will be a tipping point. And that current squad won't make Europe as far as I am concerned.

Care to have a friendly wager on this, seeing as our much criticised Chief Exec is unlikely to make wholesale changes to our squad in the next 2 weeks.

If United miss out on Europe this season, I'll donate €20 to a charity of your choice, and vice versa if we do qualify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Might be of interest to some...

How do you say 'van Gaal'
    The Dutch pronunciation of new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal's name is closer to vun KHAAL (-u as in bun, -kh as in Sc. loch, -aa as in father).

During his tenure as Dutch national team manager at the World Cup, we observed some nascent anglicisations cropping up among commentators and the public. First, almost uniformly in British English, the first part of the family name, "van", was anglicised as van (-a as in man).

We heard van GAAL (-g as in get), probably influenced by the spelling and van HAAL (-h as in hot), possibly an anglicisation to get around the -kh as in Scottish loch sound, which is available in some accents of English (various accents of Scottish, Welsh and Irish English) but not in others.

The latter is preferred by the Manchester United press office. As to what the fans will settle on, only time will tell.

For more pronunciations see here: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28794627

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Reedsie wrote: »
    Might be of interest to some...

How do you say 'van Gaal'

For more pronunciations see here: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28794627

Louis it is so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pro. F wrote: »
    TBH I didn't watch the Dutch defensive shape in the WC as closely as I have United's this pre-season. But I don't remember the Netherlands having a flat bank of 5 defenders with two central midfielders hopelessly outnumbered, trying to cover the whole width of the pitch in front of their defence.

You're right they didn't. I was more of a 3 - 5 - 1 - 1 defensively. The usual back three, then the wing backs would drop in on whatever side the ball was on, with De Jong and Wijnaldum/de Guzman protecting and Sneijder dropping in to create numbers. That left Robben as the man behind RVP. That's why I think Van Gaal will need time to train players mindsets into being 10m this way or 10m that way when the ball is in X position. Very hard to get used to.

The quick outlet after turning over the ball was Robben then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

First post here. Howrya lads. I've been a United supporter the last 34 years so I've tasted bitter dissapointment before, albeit a long time ago!:pac: I think we'll be alright this season, maybe unsure of winning the league, but I think we'll be in Europe next year for sure.
    Anyway, it has been mentioned briefly here before, but, *deep breath* I think Fellaini would be good cover at CB. I don't think he's quick enough for the Van Gaal way of playing as a centre or forward. What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP acting the "bollocks" but some great ball control on display

http://gfycat.com/DistantPeriodicBlackfootedferret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

For your best chance of winning, there is 18 hours left to enter the FF leagues!!

See my sig

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

v3ttel wrote: »
    Care to have a friendly wager on this, seeing as our much criticised Chief Exec is unlikely to make wholesale changes to our squad in the next 2 weeks.

If United miss out on Europe this season, I'll donate €20 to a charity of your choice, and vice versa if we do qualify?

Will also jump on this if a second person decides to take up the "We won't make top 4" side :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In other news, Sky Bet had an article today that said 33% of punters have backed Man United to win the league this season, and has attracted more than twice the money for the next team down, Arsenal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9422179/man-united-best-backed-with-sky-bet

In fairness, I'd imagine there's a lot of people backing us due to the higher odds and for value's sake, but nice to see a lot of people are putting money on us to win :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That's where I would be a bit worried about Mata's input in that formation (when having to press or defend) he's not very strong or the most athletic player.

Its a good point, he is not physically strong.

I think his ability and willingness to cover ground is underrated. I think once he gets used the position he needs to be in he will be fine.

Obviously he wont bursting into tackles but he will close down space and pounce on loose play when pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So Larry i presume it's not Arthur's day this Friday either? Maybe you will guess right next Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So is Rafael cleared to start that would be a big boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'll take that :)

Nuts102 wrote: »
    So is Rafael cleared to start that would be a big boost.

If he starts it'd be a big boost because I think Reece James is more of a left full in a 442 rather than wing back. Rafael going forward on one side and Young on the other is a bit more attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If he starts it'd be a big boost because I think Reece James is more of a left full in a 442 rather than wing back. Rafael going forward on one side and Young on the other is a bit more attacking.

He got forward very well against LA, not the sternest of tests but not to be sniffed at getting 2 goals on your first team debut (i think it was anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

On this day last year:

In the Press:
    • The Daily Mail had reported that Phil Neville and Steve Round had been sent to scout Ronaldo.
    • Miguel Delaney reported that we were after Ozil and/or Modric.
    • The Telegraph reported that we were in for Willian.

Premier League officials responded to an actual complaint by Moyes that the fixture list was rigged.

On the forum:
    No one knew what was going on with Fellaini (but everyone wanted him).
    Fabregas was all the talk.

And of course:
    Ronaldo spotted in Manchester.
    A woman who works at the club spotted him. Not at the club when she saw him though.
    She told my buddy.
    Buddy told me.

and of course:
    I don't know why I bother reading these threads anymore, they're a daily dose of pointless arguments, bickering, bull****, transfer speculation, misinformation, and redundant discussions that go nowhere and never change anyones opinion about anything. There is of course also the periodical trolls and the odd full-time nutter.

This is an utter depressing place to read through.

:)

Two years ago today we signed Van Persie.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    He got forward very well against LA, not the sternest of tests but not to be sniffed at getting 2 goals on your first team debut (i think it was anyway).

Missed most the LA game so can't argue with that. Going on the Valencia game, he just looked like a left full on the wing when he was trying to get crosses in or take on players. Still held his own though even if a couple of through balls caught him out early.

Either way, I'm excited to see how they do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/the-van-gaal-dossier/

the-van-gaal-dossier

Must read if you have some time (even if its not perfectly edited/put together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure, I'll take the bet. If United get into Europe then just name your charity, I'll pay it gladly.

If I could be certain that there would be no surprise signings I would bet far more actually. As it stands right now, that squad of players has too many problems to get into an increasingly competitive top four.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You're right they didn't. I was more of a 3 - 5 - 1 - 1 defensively. The usual back three, then the wing backs would drop in on whatever side the ball was on, with De Jong and Wijnaldum/de Guzman protecting and Sneijder dropping in to create numbers. That left Robben as the man behind RVP.
    The quick outlet after turning over the ball was Robben then.

That sounds about right. Although, I think it would have been the WB on the opposite side dropping back and the one on the ball side pushing/staying up as a wide midfielder. I think that's the most common way that wing-back systems are set up.
    That's why I think Van Gaal will need time to train players mindsets into being 10m this way or 10m that way when the ball is in X position. Very hard to get used to.

It just seems very strange to me that it is taking this long for the players to adjust to it. This United team don't seem to be even close to defending like that yet. It's like the management are aiming for some other defensive set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sure, I'll take the bet. If United get into Europe then just name your charity, I'll pay it gladly.

If I could be certain that there would be no surprise signings I would bet far more actually. As it stands right now, that squad of players has too many problems to get into an increasingly competitive top four.

there is a massive difference in missing out on CL and missing out on Europe, depending on the cups, 7th place could get Europa league for instance....make sure ye will be cleat on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Regardless of the usual lack of transfer activity, I haven't been this excited until I wrote to Santa for a PS2 in 2001 :D

I hope we rip Swansea a new one tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

thelad95 wrote: »
    Regardless of the usual lack of transfer activity, I haven't been this excited until I wrote to Santa for a PS2 in 2001 :D

Yeah it's been a long summer and really looking forward to it, despite being a bit annoyed at the lack of new players.
    Always love when the first game is at home. Should be a great atmosphere.

Hope the lads go out and play without fear. Go after Swansea from the kick off. Don't give them any encouragement.
    Come on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

DM-ICE wrote: »
    http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/the-van-gaal-dossier/

the-van-gaal-dossier

Must read if you have some (even if its not perfectly edited/put together)

Just read it there - quality piece of writing!

After reading that I can't see LVG buying players to cover positions. He's more than likely just going to use the young lads and will mould them into what he wants.

We're in for a very interesting season to say the least!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

thelad95 wrote: »

I hope we put in a good performance, win are entertaining and get no injuries, no care for the score. I'd take 1-0 with good football.

U21's playing in 2 mins. Rumour is they're going 5-3-2 tonight.

Wilson out injured, picked it up in training with senior team.

On MUTV now, go on watch it! Give me someone to ****e on about u21 games to this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Teams

BvGObuQCYAEhq55.jpg

Quandary wrote: »
    He's more than likely just going to use the young lads and will mould them into what he wants.

If he thinks that then he is a fool.

Nick Powell was due to start, was on the original team sheet, not starting, guessing he got injured in warm up. Was due to wear #8. CM??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

lordgoat wrote: »
    I hope we put in a good performance, win are entertaining and get no injuries, no care for the score. I'd take 1-0 with good football.

U21's playing in 2 mins. Rumour is they're going 5-3-2 tonight.

Wilson out injured, picked it up in training with senior team.

On MUTV now, go on watch it! Give me someone to ****e on about u21 games to this season!

Haha. Sorry man I can't. I have a hot date in half an hour ;) Will make sure to start watching U-21's this year though. Never had time last year with the Leaving Cert and all that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I suppose we'll find out soon enough whether or not his decision to give a lot of the young lads first team football was a foolish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

So my heart and positivity has rightly affected my FF team...I'm all in with united... Rooney (c), Mata and Young...

• Advertisement

Overreact much? He sees more on a pitch day in day out than we will ever dream know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

xtal191 wrote: »

I have a serious man crush on LVG after seeing this

Nice move. Good stuff by Rothwell. Lawrence with a tap in. 1-0.

Overreact much? He sees more on a pitch day in day out than we will ever dream know about.

Its not an overreaction, simply an opinion.

These young guys are not plasticine that LVG can mould into a top team, even for the greatest coaches there needs to be a minimum level of quality in the players before he can make them into something special.

We are talking about the likes of Reece James and Micheal Keane here, the idea that LVG can take them and mould them into a team worthy of Uniteds standards is more in the realm of The Mighty Ducks than the harsh reality of Premier league football.

Its not an overreaction, simply an opinion.

These young guys are not plasticine that LVG can mould into a top team, even for the greatest coaches there needs to be a minimum level of quality in the players before he can make them into something special.

We are talking about the likes of Reece James and Micheal Keane here, the idea that LVG can take them and mould them into a team worthy of Uniteds standards is more in the realm of The Mighty Ducks than the harsh reality of Premier league football.

What elements of their games do you not like? What would be each player's strong and weak attributes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

If the plan is to make no signings (I don't believe it is), then we are absolutely Donald Ducked. I'm getting very worried.

The above has nothing to do with my view on any imminent transfer.

We can sell one season out of the Champions League to prospective players but two will be a struggle. Plus there are huge penalties in the Adidas contract (£25m per year) for non qualification. Plus there's the Champions League money itself. It could be worth £60m a season to us. And some people want to nickel and dime over how much we pay for badly needed players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Liam O wrote: »

You must be happy I didnt take you up the 100 euro bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

xtal191 wrote: »

Love his press conferences. Watching them, you can just smell the fear and the respect he gets from the Press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If the plan is to make no signings (I don't believe it is), then we are absolutely Donald Ducked. I'm getting very worried.

The above has nothing to do with my view on any imminent transfer.

We can sell one season out of the Champions League to prospective players but two will be a struggle. Plus there are huge penalties in the Adidas contract (£25m per year) for non qualification. Plus there's the Champions League money itself. It could be worth £60m a season to us. And some people want to nickel and dime over how much we pay for badly needed players!

The Adidas deal gets cut if the club fail to reach the CL in consecutive seasons, starting from the 2015/16 season. The stipulation is very different to what many people think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

10 very brave boys taking on the Feen - ye're only wasting yer time lads ;) may the best manager win!

Headshot wrote: »
    You must be happy I didnt take you up the 100 euro bet.

That was there'd be no more signings? Still stands if so. Bringing it up now when you went missing when I offered is lolworthy.

Ben Pearson, cracking little player.

Ben Pearson, cracking little player.

A nice double takedown in centre mid about 10 mins ago alright. :D

TheTownie wrote: »
    A nice double takedown about 10 mins ago alright. :D

Takes no ****. Peach of a cross for the goal is what I was talking about though!

Takes no ****. Peach of a cross for the goal is what I was talking about though!

That was nice too. Created the corner too with the dink over the defence to Janko.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement