Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Strootman was pictured returning to Roma 2 weeks ago, but is there any indication of how he is shaping up -= is he expected to play in the next month o or two?

im convinced LVG is obsessed with signing him and if Strootman is anywhere near being able to play by September, we will go for him. its the main reason of no interest for Vidal at the moment i would say.

Well hes in Boston

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kevin_strootman/status/491214757119401984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Where are people getting the idea that LvG is mass to sign Strootman. Obviously he relied on him for the national team, but that doesn't mean he wants to sign him for United.

Not that I am questioning people, just wondering if there is some articles or interviews where he had said this

http://instagram.com/p/p1Ap5kTbC0/?modal=true

Here he was about a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Strootman was pictured returning to Roma 2 weeks ago, but is there any indication of how he is shaping up -= is he expected to play in the next month o or two?

im convinced LVG is obsessed with signing him and if Strootman is anywhere near being able to play by September, we will go for him. its the main reason of no interest for Vidal at the moment i would say.

I read Stootman was only returning for tests and not for training.

This wasn't the story I saw but is reporting the same:

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/07/roma-update-on-strootman-injury-recovery/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Eat something, you're turning into a diva.

We don't need WC players now. RVP is good for another few season, as is Rooney. Utd as a club is not static and there will always be regeneration. Obviously as fans we wants things to happen now to satiate our appetites for constant news. We simply have to wait and trust. Either way, we'll be okay for he upcoming season, it cannot be worse than the last one.

Not many of our players are on an upward curve of development.

RVP is getting old, people have to accept this. People will probably say "he doesn't rely on pace"...well look how many times he was offside in the world cup. That's what losing pace does.

Rooney has had his best season years ago...not on an upward curve.

Carrick/Fletcher/Valencia/Young/Nani all on downward curves.

Shaw/Rafael/DDG/Evans are getting better. Smalling/Jones aren't doing anything yet...stagnated.

Look at City...they have Kompany/Ageuro/Nastasic/Nasri all getting better each season.

Chelsea the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Any extended highlights of the game?

Did we play like Holland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be happy with Strootman, fits that narrative of buying young future stars that LVG mentioned.

happy has different context here.

if strootman is fully fit and able to play in the next 6-8 weeks, then we would all be happy, given our fairly decent start to the season in terms of fixtures and the need for a young, agressive/creative midfielder.

HOWEVER, if its a case that he is not fully fit for 3 or 4 months, then no...i wouldnt be happy with it and i think most people would feel the same. there is also the risk that he could be rushed back too soon to play and increases the likelyhood of re-occurrence.

its a massive risk, Cruciates normally take 8 months minimum to get right, he is only gone 4 so far after the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Any extended highlights of the game?

Did we play like Holland?

I hope its okay to send full highlights ha

Think that channel has highlights too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Strootman won't play friendlies but says he's training ''hard''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Shaw, Herrera, Mata, Januzaj, Welbeck, Chicharito are all first team regulars at ages (26 or significantly less in some cases), where you would expect them to improve significantly over the coming years. A fair chunk of the first team squad. :confused:
    RVP is getting old, people have to accept this. People will probably say "he doesn't rely on pace"...well look how many times he was offside in the world cup. That's what losing pace does.

Being caught offside means your losing pace? There a plenty of reasons for being offside. That's a ridiculously poor piece of evidence to back up your point with.
    All on downward curves

We had significant success when all the following players we "on their downward curve".

Vidic (32), Rio (35), Evra (33), Carrick (33), Giggs (40), Scholes (38, when he stopped). Did those players not contribute to a significant amount of success over the last 3 to 4 seasons?

Your entire argument is completely flawed. We have plenty of players who will improve. You need experienced players at times. Players don't suddenly become incapable because they are "on a downward curve".

A healthy mix is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I do enjoy v3ttel's multi-quote posts.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yea would agree with that, being caught offside has nothing to do with pace, Hernandez is one of our quickest players and he regularly gets caught offside.

Inzaghi as fergie once said "was born offside"

you are just trying to play on the shoulder of the last defender, has nothing to do with pace or getting old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    yea would agree with that, being caught offside has nothing to do with pace, Hernandez is one of our quickest players and he regularly gets caught offside.

Inzaghi as fergie once said "was born offside"

you are just trying to play on the shoulder of the last defender, has nothing to do with pace or getting old

He was born in a hosiptal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Yeah but he was in between the last nurse and the doctor before he popped out so he was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wheres your source? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

7-0, lovely news to wake up to. A win that big against a team in the middle of their season is not to be scoffed at. Delighted to hear Herrera bossed it, I am so excited about him.

But also, I think we could be surprised by a few players who looked crap in Moyes system. The likes of Ashley Young, Tom Cleverley, and Antonio Valencia have all taken a ridiculous amount of stick, and most of it justified for completely hapless performances, but in a fluid LVG system with all the players high on confidence and competing for Louis' hugs, we could see a few players playing above themselves.

Two defenders and a midfielder are still clearly needed, lets hope we can get a bit of business done but it's a very exciting time to be a United fan in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yeah but he was in between the last nurse and the doctor before he popped out so he was offside.

His mothers legs played him onside.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Wheres your source? :pac:

My brother was a accountant in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I hope its okay to send full highlights ha

Think that channel has highlights too

What's the name of the YouTube channel I want to subscribe! Pic quality is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Did Nani play last night, if so how did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Did Nani play last night, if so how did he do?

Upfront with Young I believe in the second half. Didn't see it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Something very random

herrerawhatj1u7l.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

What's the name of the YouTube channel I want to subscribe! Pic quality is brilliant

click on the 'YouTube' link in the bottom right of the embedded video - opens the vid up in YouTube, you can subscribe from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RasTa wrote: »
    Something very random

'Murica Freedom DENIED gif

I thought Ander was sucking his thumb and thought "Wow, that is pretty random" and then suddenly, BOOM, tackled.

am i right in saying that Fellaini and kagawa didnt score a single goal last year and that Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Cleverly got something like 4 between them?

even Young got a burst of 3 goals in 3 games and then didnt score for the rest of the year. straight away, getting goals from that bunch of players has to be up there in priority, its a shambles the return them lads gave us, regardless of tactics or David Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Something very random

herrerawhatj1u7l.gif

Welbeck's backtracking there is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rooney has had his best season years ago...not on an upward curve.

Carrick/Fletcher/Valencia/Young/Nani all on downward curves.

Shaw/Rafael/DDG/Evans are getting better. Smalling/Jones aren't doing anything yet...stagnated.

Look at City...they have Kompany/Ageuro/Nastasic/Nasri all getting better each season.

Chelsea the same.

Kompany had a shocking season. He survived the criticism he should have gotten on reputation alone and the fact that the BBC are reticent to criticise their bessie mate. Both Aguero and Nastasic had injury ravaged seasons.

I understand the point you are trying to make but you couldn't have picked three worse examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's not Danny.

Some finish from him last night

ibeZ81FS0MXORM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Is it not Valencia?

It looks like someone with a number 2 on the back of the shirt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I personally think we'll see a return for form of the beast this coming season.

Bayer-Leverkusen-v-Manchester-United-Antonio-_3042781.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It looks like someone with a number 2 on the back of the shirt

Its Blackett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Tyler Blackett (sp) Welbz and other poster thinking it's Val they both went off at HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    Being caught offside means your losing pace?
    bangkok wrote: »
    yea would agree with that, being caught offside has nothing to do with pace

Of course it does. A player with pace can leave himself a greater margin of error for staying onside, his pace will still allow him to run onto through balls from the deeper onside position.

As that pace goes, the same striker needs to push right up as far as he can to give him a better chance to get onto those same through balls. He has less margin for error, and because he has to push right up on the defender the likelihood of getting caught offside increases.

Seems obvious.

I personally think we'll see a return for form of the beast this coming season.

Bayer-Leverkusen-v-Manchester-United-Antonio-_3042781.jpg

Will that make Belle a WAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

am i right in saying that Fellaini and kagawa didnt score a single goal last year and that Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Cleverly got something like 4 between them?

even Young got a burst of 3 goals in 3 games and then didnt score for the rest of the year. straight away, getting goals from that bunch of players has to be up there in priority, its a shambles the return them lads gave us, regardless of tactics or David Moyes.

Last night's performance was encouraging in that regard and the Dutch had 9 different scorers in their 7 World Cup games so fingers crossed.

With 3 at the back and a lot of fluidity in front of them we're already looking better compared to both the defensive frailty and lack of creativity last year.

Really excited to see a move away from 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't think Strootman will exactly be easy to get In January. I expect Roma to be pushing for the league and in the knockout stages in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Just an update on the store events last night;
    Manchester United Store 'Glitch' Gifts Fans £38 Discount on New Nike Shirt

Manchester United fans have allegedly been snapping up the club's new away Nike shirt for just £22 after a 'glitch' on its official website accidently marked it down.

The kit, which should have cost as much as £60, was available for less then a third of it's retail price on the club's online store.

It means supporters could have bagged themselves a huge saving if they went onto the website while the 'offer' was still live.

Reports of the error came late last night, with the club seemingly quick to rectify the mistake.

Rafts of United supporters from across the world took advantage of the mistake before spreading news of the malfunction on Twitter.

The new away shirt, which was launched on Tuesday, is priced at between £32 and £60 for childrens and adult shirts.

Announcing the arrival of the new kit at its megastore and online superstore, United said: "...the shirt is crisp white and boasts a sophisticated black polo neck collar that has a unique black button engraved with the club name."

At the time of publication, Manchester United had not responded to IBTimes UK's calls for a comment.

International Business Times

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't think Strootman will exactly be easy to get In January. I expect Roma to be pushing for the league and in the knockout stages in Europe.

if Van Gaal wants him, then he will come. you'd think he would turn down the chance to work with Van Gaal and play for united?

Roma could also end up making €15+million profit on him.

anyway, its all irrelevent until he comes back playing and at a good level. surely we wouldnt be stupid enough to buy him until he has 2 or 3 months of game time behind him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭billyhead

if Van Gaal wants him, then he will come. you'd think he would turn down the chance to work with Van Gaal and play for united?

anyway, its all irrelevent until he comes back playing and at a good level. surely we wouldnt be stupid enough to buy him until he has 2 or 3 months of game time behind him?

Exactly. It seem the players have all the power nowadays and if he wants to come he will come i.e theres no point in the club holding onto an unhappy member when they can cash in on him. He will force a move

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Just an update on the store events last night;

International Business Times

That's the definition of saying a lot but actually saying nothing at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Any idea how long is left on his contract, i presume it's 3 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That's the definition of saying a lot but actually saying nothing at all!!

Absolutely, the most important part being that MUFC hadn't responded to their comments yet.

How do you know he would come in January. If Roma are fighting for the league and still in Europe i can see why he would want to stay there until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be very interesting to see who stays at United beyond september.

If the formation used last night is going to be the first choice one (if not same players) I can't see a place for Young or Nani. Kagawa would be well down the order if LVG wants to develop Januzaj. The 'Herrera role' in the first half would be a fight between Clevlerey and Kagawa from our current squad. Can see Januzaj being deployed in the advanced AMC role that Mata had, similar to Robben in the WC.

Of course, I don't think the formation from last night will be used 100% of the time, I would think form, fitness and tactical requirements will change the formation and personel quite a bit over the season.

Can't see United not being in for Blind, with his ability to cover LB, CB and CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Herrera was first class last night, really impressed by his game. Another couple of signings of similar quality, cm and cb/lb and I'd be very optimistic going into the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I'll be honest and say I haven't seen as much of Stootman as presumably many on here, but, what I though he was, is a similar player to Herrera ? Like a link between attack and defense, rather than the true proper defensive midfielder I think we're looking for. Would he be more a ball winner than a box to box midfielder for example ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A nice surprise to hear the 7-0 result this morning. The boss seems pleased with the performance and if he's happy I'm happy.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Being caught offside means your losing pace?
    Of course it does

Oh ok. I swear that Chichairto guy loses 10 yards of pace every season.

I thought offsides may be caused by a number of things (including, and not limited to):

- Tiredness, mental or physical
    - Laziness, just not getting back in time
    - Misjudgement of your position.
    - Misjudgement of opposition position(s) and next movements.
    - Mistiming of your run
    - Expectation that the passing player will play the pass at the right moment, before you've run too far.
    - A well executed offside trap
    - Officials mistake
    - Unawareness/ball watching (just not watching across the line)
    Seems obvious.

Would have thought the same thing.

The OP point about RVP was completely incorrect. There are plenty of other factors that could be at play. That was the point of the post.

Something very random

herrerawhatj1u7l.gif

Reminds me of this:

• Advertisement

The squad needs a few signings but the first team is a top class cb and cm away from being very strong. Mata in the hole behind a central midfield that can give him the ball further up the pitch is drool worthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement