Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

RVN10 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought januazji was absolutely awful , wake up lads will ye

He did great beating players but kept shooting from impossible angles, bit greedy but he did add that urgency that led to Rooney's goal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Montroseee wrote: »
    DO you not think that Januzaj is actually better than Ronaldo was at 19? I certainly do.
    He most definitely is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Of all the players i be blaming it would not be Younger lads anyway.
    These performances are the fault of no players at United - some lack quality because they are past it and some because they are just average players. The world class players have to accommodate this lack of quality and work harder in winning the ball back, defending and helping out the rest. These results are as a direct result of the clubs inability to sign world class players window after window like City, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc.

We are in big trouble for the second year running, Champions League will be a great season at this point.

Duplicate Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

First game of the season lads, relax let ye.
    See how they fare next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Good thing we have an easy run first few games..... oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Remember that disaster season where we started with a 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa...or Arsenal's disaster season last year where they lost their opening match 3-1 to Villa too.
    Losing first match = disaster...

But what comes after might not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

From what ive been reading Rio having a good debut for QPR today.

Still think he had another year or two in him with United. His experience alone would of been massive to us.

Just jinxed him haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Panthro wrote: »

We're Manchester United, not Cardiff City. Those 3 points could be the difference between 4th and 5th.

We're a shambles and in worse shape than 12 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I was delighted with Blackett and all of the younger lads. It will improve, but not without selling and buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Montroseee wrote: »
    DO you not think that Januzaj is actually better than Ronaldo was at 19? I certainly do.

Nah, I think time and what he eventually became has improved people's opinions of Ronaldo as a young lad but he was still better than Januzaj.

There are similarities between the two. Ronaldo was a bright spot in a transitional phase for United and Januzaj is in that situation now. Ronaldo was infuriating with his end-product, same as Januzaj at times.

But Ronaldo has become one of the best players ever. Don't really like talking about Januzaj in the same sentence as it's an unfair comparison.

Panthro wrote: »
    To be honest even you having to say that is worrying - this is Manchester United...

Reminds me of Arsenal last year and the doom in the Arsenal thread after match day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RobertKK wrote: »
    Remember that disaster season where we started with a 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa...

The problem isnt just losing ,its the fact that the team has hardly any decent players and created hardly any chances .

Not one of the current squad would get into the first 11 of the 95-96 season .
    Schmeichel
    Gary Neville Bruce Pallister Irwin
    Beckham Keane Scholes/Butt Giggs/Sharpe
    Cantona Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The problem isnt just losing ,its the fact that the team has hardly any decent players and created hardly any chances .

Schmeichel
    Cantona Cole

That is a particularly stupid statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Subtle, David. Real subtle.

https://vine.co/v/M3mW53YM7hB

Watch him get sacked now.
    TheTownie wrote: »
    LVG post match

Lets enjoy being able to post youtube videos while it lasts. :rolleyes:

What's that mean? Boards isn't banning Youtube vids, are they?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I remember a few seasons ago we only picked up 2 points from our opening 3 games, including a loss to a poor City team. What season was that?? Oh yeah, 07/08...

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is a particularly stupid statement.

Since when are you a moderator ,you do not own this forum lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Schmeichel
    Cantona Cole

Im not trying to take anything away from that opinion but why compare the team to that of 95-96? You're comparing a team what was one of our most successful to a team just off the back of our worst every Premiership finish.

Most of the players on that team today have the ability to be part of a side that can do well in the league, and have shown so before.

It was a flat performance but one poor game doesn't mean it will be a poor season.

Nailz wrote: »
    I remember a few seasons ago we only picked up 2 points from our opening 3 games, including a loss to a poor City team. What season was that?? Oh yeah, 07/08...

The starting 11 today would resemble a league cup lineout in that 07/08 squad, if even that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I really think we are close to having a very exciting side.

Unfortunately close is just not good enough. A couple of midfield signings would make all the difference IMO.

They said you couldn't win anything with kids but you'll definitely not win with Fletcher starting in MF. He is far to one paced to be playing for a top side. Not sure he'd be starting for any of the teams that finished above us last season.

Incredibly we are one of the richest clubs in the world and yet have such a poor midfield. Look at City, Arsenal, Bayern, Real, Barca's midfield and then look at ours. They need to start addressing this area immediately or it's going to be a very long road back.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Since when are you a moderator ,you do not own this forum lad.

What are you talking about lad? Since when do you have to be a moderator to criticise what somebody says lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

J. Marston wrote: »
    What's that mean? Boards isn't banning Youtube vids, are they?!

No but I never thought a few seconds worth of poor quality gifs and vines would be banned so anything is possible after that imo, despite what they say about it.

Before we start going onto the whole starting 11 not having the quality again I'm just going to point out the fact, David De Gea, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young, Darren Fletcher, Hernandez, and Rooney all have been part of a Premiership winning side.

Lets be honest, we can't use "poor players" as an excuse. It was just a poor performance. Sure it wasn't ideal with injuries but still, very flat pedestrian display. And no real conviction in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Reminds me of Arsenal last year and the doom in the Arsenal thread after match day 1.

Very true but Arsenal still had Ramsey after that defeat. We have Fletcher and TC23.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

nuxxx wrote: »
    The starting 11 today would resemble a league cup lineout in that 07/08 squad, if even that
    I agree, but my point is that seeing people lose the plot after the very first game of the season – a season in which we also have a new manager and when we're trying to settle into a system none of the players apart from an injured van Persie have never played with before – is just a bit daft, with 2/3 new first team quality players I am positive this will be a good season for United, in relativity.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Im not trying to take anything away from that opinion but why compare the team to that of 95-96? You're comparing a team what was one of our most successful to a team just off the back of our worst every Premiership finish.

95-96 was the season that Utd lost their opening game 3-1 away to Aston Villa as referenced by
    Remember that disaster season where we started with a 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa...

Big difference in quality of that side and this side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Posts like this are incredibly myopic. This isn't just a bad day at the office, a poor performance from a quality group of players. The result isn't even important, whats important is that it showed once again all the problems that we knew existed, it reinforced all the serious issues that were obvious to even the most blinkered fans.

Posts like those above almost suggest that this group of players are going to waltz out next time and play like the champions of old. They simply aren't, they can't, this squad failed all last season and they are just going to fail again, major changes were needed and unfortunately they are still needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Give me a break trying to defend the nonsense that has gone on again this transfer window.

Look at the squad we had the season you quoted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Manchester_United_F.C._season#In

We have a shocking squad of players. There is simply no defending it at this stage. This game today is not going to give Van Gaal the bright light to buy players. He like everybody else knows we need lots of players. Its above him that is lacking bringing the quality in

• Advertisement

95-96 was the season that Utd lost their opening game 3-1 away to Aston Villa as referenced by

Apologies didn't see the reference. Thought you were just picking out how the players aren't up to standard!

Still think it's a bit too early to predict a bad season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I suppose the important thing is to remember that today won't be all for nothing if it means that it kicks the club up the arse and forces them to sign quality players.

It was foolish for people to believe that just because we played a few pre-season games well, that a team not used to playing a new system looked uncomfortable playing it in a competitive game, particularly with several players playing out of position. It's for that reason that it's unfair to level any criticism at the likes of Young because they've never played their before and teams were always going to look to exploit their weaknesses for it. And for all the proclamations of Darren Fletcher's new found ability, he was very poor and it was disappointing to see Herrera get taken off instead of him with the game to chase.

A quality CM and CB are now a must with cover required in the full back/wing back positions. If we have a similar amount of injuries going into next weekend we could also see 352 shelved.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Give me a break trying to defend the nonsense that has gone on again this transfer window.
    Jesus, where did I go around trying to defend this abysmal transfer window?

Way to totally read into my post the wrong way, the point was straight forward; being all doom and gloom after the first day of the season is beyond stupid, simple as.

Edit: Same goes for this post.
    Posts like this are incredibly myopic. This isn't just a bad day at the office, a poor performance from a quality group of players. The result isn't even important, whats important is that it showed once again all the problems that we knew existed, it reinforced all the serious issues that were obvious to even the most blinkered fans.

Posts like those above almost suggest that this group of players are going to waltz out next time and play like the champions of old. They simply aren't, they can't, this squad failed all last season and they are just going to fail again, major changes were needed and unfortunately they are still needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I suppose the important thing is to remember that today won't be all for nothing if it means that it kicks the club up the arse and forces them to sign quality players.

I'm concerned that the club needs that kick up the arse, its been incredibly obvious that we needed quality players for a very long time now.

Just looking at the squad now makes me feel sad, around 20 top class players. Such a decline, its incredible

I'm concerned that the club needs that kick up the arse, its been incredibly obvious that we needed quality players for a very long time now.

Yep, it would be disappointing to think that it is actually needed, but at least today's performance didn't paper over any cracks. We looked weak in every area that, by out squad list alone, we should be weak in and so noone can be under any illusions now as to what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Jesus, where did I go around trying to defend this abysmal transfer window?

Way to totally read into my post the wrong way, the point was straight forward; being all doom and gloom after the first day of the season is beyond stupid, simple as.

Yeah my bad, I read your post the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is we have no where near the squad we had in 2007/8 so making reference to then and now is silly when you compare the squads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe I read those posts wrong. I don't think they said it will be fine and the need for changes don't exist. A result like today possible even if United bought 3 or 4 more players as it is going to take time to get used to Van Gaal an what he wants, its what he calls a "process". I think that is more what those posts are getting at than refuting suggestions that change is needed ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

David De Gea
    Wayne Rooney
    Robin Van Persie
    Juan Mata

They are the only players we have that would get have a chance of getting into the great United sides of the last 20 years. It's an indictment of the club. The "it's only the first game of the season" stuff is deluded. We are no longer a top class team. There is only one way to deal with that - Buy quality players. The squad is sh1te relative to where it needs to be in terms of quality.

No, the opening game is always during the summer transfer season. It was after their first game that Arsenal signed Ozil, and he along with Ramsey in particular with Giroud took Arsenal to the top.

United and Van Gaal will be all out to sign at least three players in my opinion.
    Today was good in that regard, if you wanted a match to lose and really expose the weaknesses, it is better in the first match rather than winning 4-1 and thinking, good start and a false hope.
    Today we saw the reality, the transfer window is open for a little over two weeks and United have major work to do - they need to sign proven quality.

It would have been far better if the players had already been signed but it is better get this result now than after September 2nd when we would be stuck with what we have.
    Having hope for the season ahead shouldn't be dashed based on one match.
    All we can do is wait and see what happens and then be really concerned if nothing happens or the wrong quality of player is signed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

please don't post in game gifs. Same as Vine, they have to go :(

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Yeah my bad, I read your post the wrong way. The point I was trying to make is we have no where near the squad we had in 2007/8 so making reference to then and now is silly when you compare the squads
    That's grand, but I wasn't attempting to make such a comparison, I think that should go without saying that with the obvious exception of Carrick, Rooney and Nani that squad was simply much better than every other area of our current team.

But in the relative circumstances, without European football this season and with (hopefully) enough time to add 2 or 3 good players we can have a relatively good season even still. Everybody getting down on the season when it has only just begun gets on my nerves.

The reality is, we won't actually have any real idea about how this season is going to go until after the transfer window has closed and after we know if the new players (if any) will be able to make an adequate transition into the squad for the current season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It is important to remember that these things happen in cycles. Liverpool had a poor period after the 80's. It's the same here. Could be a few bad years but fortunes change as the years go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

In better news, we're out of the relegation zone. See, it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Modern business/football is about reacting quickly and decisively to situations and obstacles that occur. Utd are a joke in this regard and deserve nothing this season . The squad has been disintegrating for years . Biggest club in the world ? We are more like a smal club with loads of cash . Just calling it how I see it.

Chagan wrote: »
    In better news, we're out of the relegation zone. See, it's not all bad.

Every step counts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TBF we were missing a hell of a lot of first team defenders, saying that I think LVG had a shocker for reasons already outlined.

Put Shaw, Rafa and a top class midfielder in the side and today would have turned out differently.

beno619 wrote: »
    TBF we were missing a hell of a lot of first team defenders, saying that I think LVG had a shocker for reasons already outlined.

Put Shaw, Rafa and a top class midfielder in the side and today would have turned out differently.

Don't think anyone would dispute this.

I think though that you don't get to use injuries as an excuse when you haven't bothered your hole to put a contingency plan in place for when they happen i.e. sign some cover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wayne Rooney: "Our season starts next week".

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Aug/wayne-rooney-the-season-starts-next-week.aspx

Good guy Wayne, giving every other team a week's headstart....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney: "Our season starts next week".

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Aug/wayne-rooney-the-season-starts-next-week.aspx

Good guy Wayne, giving every other team a week's headstart....

Today was just a tactical loss.

That's all.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone would dispute this.

I think though that you don't get to use injuries as an excuse when you haven't bothered your hole to put a contingency plan in place for when they happen i.e. sign some cover.
    Exactly, the fact that we had to go with Jesse Lingard at RWB from the start shows that we are lacking massively. We have no defensive squad players. I love seeing the young guys like Blackett, Lingard and Keane getting games and I'm particularly fond of Blackett, but a club like United should never HAVE to rely on them and throw them in at the deep end.

We were missing our best defender today in Jonny Evans, and he was also out injured for long periods last season too, with injuries being an inevitability, I think we need at least 2 defenders before the end of the transfer window. A left-sided player like Rojo who can play as part of the back 3 or on the wing, and a purely central defender of first team quality.

If it came down to us only signing 2 players in this window, I'd prefer them both be defenders than bringing in a midfielder, our priories should lie there for the time being.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement