Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney: "Our season starts next week".

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Aug/wayne-rooney-the-season-starts-next-week.aspx

Good guy Wayne, giving every other team a week's headstart....

Good idea, sure we only need around 40 points to stay up anyway. Might as well forget about the first 20 games and go on a few commercial tours around Asia instead. I don't know about everyone else but I want revenge against the Singha All Star XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

please don't post in game gifs. Same as Vine, they have to go :(

Wow, that's a load of balls. I know you have to enforce it, but still, it's crap that there's going to be no more goal/skill/random funny moment gifs in the thread anymore.

Combine that with the fact that Kate Upton gifs are also frowned upon in here and this has become a very grey, cleavage-less corner of the internet :(.

*Picture snipped*

Viva la revolución!

*runs away*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

United beat Swansea on the opening day last year and went on to have a bad season.

Maybe losing today means we will have the opposite effect :P

If Lingard had stayed on it could have been different result. He was determined to show LVG why he should play and it was sad to see him get injured even if it was a precaution to take him off.

I thought young was at his usual again. Getting paid so much to mis control and hand ball and also foul throw balls is sunday league stuff. Not much from him going forward.

Blackett looked composed on the ball today, same as in pre-season. A bit nervy at the end but Swansea put some pressure on.

Quite disappointed that United didn't carry on their pre-season form today but I think they will pick up and kick on. A bit of time needed and would be great if one or two more signings came in to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nailz wrote: »
    If it came down to us only signing 2 players in this window, I'd prefer them both be defenders than bringing in a midfielder, our priories should lie their for the time being.

Sign all the defenders you want, but if we don't sign a proper midfielder you may get used to more displays like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Actually yeah, that foul throw when United were turning the screw pissed me off to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

beno619 wrote: »
    TBF we were missing a hell of a lot of first team defenders, saying that I think LVG had a shocker for reasons already outlined.

Put Shaw, Rafa and a top class midfielder in the side and today would have turned out differently.

Defenders aren't the problem though.

Both of Swansea's goals came from midfielders arriving into our box unmarked. The midfield didn't do its job.

Our attack was blunt because we couldn't transition the ball from back to front quickly enough. Again it's the midfield not doing its job.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

There ain't no quick fix lads...even if we spend 100m quid this week on this magic number of 3 players that everyone is on about, the new regime is still going to need time.

Can we not rejoice at the performance of Tyler Blackett? Every cloud and all that...you would swear there were no positives. Even if he maybe got one or 2 sub's wrong (in hindsight) at least LVG showed that he will be flexible and dynamic on the sideline.

I think at the start of this 'process' as it was mentioned above as to what LVG calls it, sometimes you have to look beyond the bare scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

David De Gea
    Wayne Rooney
    Robin Van Persie
    Juan Mata

They are the only players we have that would get have a chance of getting into the great United sides of the last 20 years. It's an indictment of the club. The "it's only the first game of the season" stuff is deluded. We are no longer a top class team. There is only one way to deal with that - Buy quality players. The squad is sh1te relative to where it needs to be in terms of quality.

Exactly. We need World class players now. No more buying players of average quality. Forget about your Blinds, your Rojos and your De Jongs etc. We need Vidals, Hummels and Di Maria type quality but unfortunately we have left it too late to get these type of players in. Look at Chelsea. They got their business done early and signed genuine potential world class talent. The next 2 weeks are vital otherwise we could miss that 4th spot again. T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I thought Tyler Blackett done well but giving the ball back to them straight away let them take a quick free kick in the build up to their second goal was stupid.

He won't be doing that again anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Sign all the defenders you want, but if we don't sign a proper midfielder you may get used to more displays like today.
    I'd be happy to see Fellaini and Herrera start every game up until January to be honest. Our main problem today in midfield lies with Fletcher and Mata, I don't think Fletcher is up to it so drop him to the bench and give Mata a kick up the arse, he's better than he was today.

Fellaini is good enough to swing a good job under LVG until we bring in a decent box-to-box midfielder like Strootman or Vidal, although I'd rather see them right ****ing now as opposed to having to wait. All of our good offensive work would otherwise be undone if we don't sign at least 2 defenders though, particularly given our injuries and our reliance on inexperienced players. That's were we should get out priorities right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

We need to sign world class talent. Barca, Real and even Chelsea always sign genuine world class talent while we are considering signing average players such as Blind and Rojo. We need to bring in marquee signings like Di Maria and Vidal, Hummels etc. Getting that 4th spot is going to be tough this season. We need a leader in the middle of the park and for me Vidal is the man that can solve that problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wow, that's a load of balls. I know you have to enforce it, but still, it's crap that there's going to be no more goal/skill/random funny moment gifs in the thread anymore.

1. Picture snipped :mad:

2. I know. I love a goof gif, and was stupidly excited when I saw yesterday we could embed vines now....and the Premier League decide to start being killjoys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

1. Picture snipped :mad:

2. I know. I love a goof gif, and was stupidly excited when I saw yesterday we could embed vines now....and the Premier League decide to start being killjoys :(

So there will be no Gif-splosion when we sign Vidal?

F*ck sake anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Something positive hopefully,

@JimWhite
    Hearing that highly-rated centre-back Mehdi Benatia on his way from AS Roma to Manchester United. #MUFC #ASRoma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That would be a good start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Kagawa wrote: »
    Something positive hopefully,

@JimWhite
    Hearing that highly-rated centre-back Mehdi Benatia on his way from AS Roma to Manchester United. #MUFC #ASRoma

Add Di Maria, Khedira, Rojo, Vidal and we'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I can't believe the free ride LVG is getting here today.

He did lots wrong. Yes I know, poor players this and that, we know we need more and they were poor but last season Moyes would have been slated on here ahead of the players if he did some of the things LVG did today.

Old Trafford no longer looks like a place wehre teams fear to come, a place where they will be blitzed from the get go, instead average teams can dictate the play here. Under Moyes it was a mixture of average players and poor decisions from the manager and today was exactly the same.

The 3-5-2 is new to the EPL and with good reason, today it lasted 45 mins. If LVG was going to run with this system he may have wantd to research the league a bit more, no other manger really uses it and I dont think the physicallity of the League suits the formation. This may be down to injueries and sqaud size so I'll allow some leway here.

The starting 11 had Lingard and Blackett, this is not so bad and I'm all for giviing youth a chance but Lingard was rash and Januzaj looked more compsed, why didn't he start?

Changing the formation at half time was a big all and a good one but could LVG not have know through research and pre-season with the squad that its better to start with this?

Nani on and Young to LB. Young to LB? Again injuries etc dictate this but we shouldn't see this again.

LVG then made he final sub in the 66th minute. Herrera off and Fellaini off. Herrera struggled to get into the game besides the simple dirty work but compared to him Mata was almost non existant. This was down to our midfeild finding it so tough. Mata should have come off for Fellaini considering that Mata and Fellaini would switch roles later on with the team desperatley playing long balls to Fellainis chest.

LVG sounds very confident in interviews but him saying "the players decide if they stay or go" would have brought endless mocking and name calling if said by Moyes.

I'm not against LVG or anything like that and I hope he comes good but lets call it as it is. Our squad is not strong and it looks like Fergie squezzed the last ounce of title winning ability out of it.

For that to be repeated you require almost perfect managerial preformances if your not going on a Madrid type spending spree.

Moyes took most of the blame last season after days like today and LVG had a day as poor as on one of those days today.

Nailz wrote: »
    I'd be happy to see Fellaini and Herrera start every game up until January to be honest. Our main problem today in midfield lies with Fletcher and Mata, I don't think Fletcher is up to it so drop him to the bench and give Mata a kick up the arse, he's better than he was today.

I don't really want to get into another argument over another of the forums sacred cows, but Juan Mata really has done **** all since he joined.

I know, I know, the service into him is rubbish, but he has just been another Kagawa to be honest. And we already had one of those.

He has been getting a free ride all summer if you ask me, too much blind faith when it comes to King Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any more on why Herrera was subbed? Curious sub to make really.

• Advertisement

He has been getting a free ride all summer if you ask me, too much blind faith when it comes to King Louis.

He is a good manager and I like him but hes not the second coming as some people tout him to be.

He has acted poorly in the transfer window for me also. I had no problem with him wanting to bring in a new system if its suited to the EPL.
    and thats now a big if? has he wasted pre-season working on a system that wont cut it?

Listen lads, it was only one day, lets see how he reacts but the perfect sheen was not so perfect today. He along with the team was poor. I dont recall him down on the sideline either once and he said some odd things in the interview.

He'll take time to grow into the role but Moyes didn't get slack fir this kind if stuff and neither should LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He did lots wrong. Yes I know, poor players this and that, we know we need more and they were poor but last season Moyes would have been slated on here ahead of the players if he did some of the things LVG did today.

Old Trafford no longer looks like a place wehre teams fear to come, a place where they will be blitzed from the get go, instead average teams can dictate the play here. Under Moyes it was a mixture of average players and poor decisions from the manager and today was exactly the same.

The 3-5-2 is new to the EPL and with good reason, today it lasted 45 mins. If LVG was going to run with this system he may have wantd to research the league a bit more, no other manger really uses it and I dont think the physicallity of the League suits the formation. This may be down to injueries and sqaud size so I'll allow some leway here.

The starting 11 had Lingard and Blackett, this is not so bad and I'm all for giviing youth a chance but Lingard was rash and Januzaj looked more compsed, why didn't he start?

Changing the formation at half time was a big all and a good one but could LVG not have know through research and pre-season with the squad that its better to start with this?

Nani on and Young to LB. Young to LB? Again injuries etc dictate this but we shouldn't see this again.

LVG then made he final sub in the 66th minute. Herrera off and Fellaini off. Herrera struggled to get into the game besides the simple dirty work but compared to him Mata was almost non existant. This was down to our midfeild finding it so tough. Mata should have come off for Fellaini considering that Mata and Fellaini would switch roles later on with the team desperatley playing long balls to Fellainis chest.

LVG sounds very confident in interviews but him saying "the players decide if they stay or go" would have brought endless mocking and name calling if said by Moyes.

I'm not against LVG or anything like that and I hope he comes good but lets call it as it is. Our squad is not strong and it looks like Fergie squezzed the last ounce of title winning ability out of it.

For that to be repeated you require almost perfect managerial preformances if your not going on a Madrid type spending spree.

Moyes took most of the blame last season after days like today and LVG had a day as poor as on one of those days today.

Moyes was given plenty of time by most fans on here at the start of his tenure. LVG has rightly built up some credit with the fluid attacking work the team demonstrated in pre-season games. I'm sure if Louis goes on to have as bad a season as Moyes had he will get just as much criticism. For now most people are prepared to be patient, just like they were with Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So lets say we eventually get Rojo and Benatia then thats defence sorted.

We just need something inspiring in the middle of the park and maybe DiMaria just cause he might be available.

Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Very very poor performance. Flat, weak, slow, uncreative.

its clear that alot of Our match going fan base has become very pissed off with the club over lack of investment and today (from the first minute) was one of the worst atmospheres ive ever experienced. The place was starting to empty going into injury time...

The general consensus around from everybody after the game that today was a new low for the club. Some even said it was worse than any performance under Moyes, though perhaps i dont agree with that.

If today is the final straw in terms of kicking the investment into gear then ill live with it, that squad today was horrific and theres very litte to come back apart from RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro. F wrote: »
    Moyes was given plenty of time by most fans on here at the start of his tenure. LVG has rightly built up some credit with the fluid attacking work the team demonstrated in pre-season games. I'm sure if Louis goes on to have as bad a season as Moyes had he will get just as much criticism. For now most people are prepared to be patient, just like they were with Moyes.

just question for you, be interested to hear thoughts.

do you think we need a winger? we seemed to lack lot of pace today(among 1000 other problems)

Pro. F wrote: »

I was one of those who gave Moyes plenty of time and I have no problem with people being patient with LVG, I am also one of those. I am in no way against LVG but Moyes was slated, early on, for things he siad in interviews, starting line ups, lack of sideline activity and sustitutions.

I have no problem with being patient, but mistakes on day one are as costly ones on day 365.

LVG today had the type of day that would have gotten Moyes hammered, absolutley hammered on here. From things he said, subs he made and things he didn't do on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

its clear that alot of Our match going fan base has become very pissed off with the club over lack of investment and today (from the first minute) was one of the worst atmospheres ive ever experienced. The place was starting to empty going into injury time...

The general consensus around from everybody after the game that today was a new low for the club. Some even said it was worse than any performance under Moyes, though perhaps i dont agree with that.

If today is the final straw in terms of kicking the investment into gear then ill live with it, that squad today was horrific and theres very litte to come back apart from RVP.

It was an awful atmosphere from a tv view point for sure.

And there was massive amounts of empty seats at around 85 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Father said he never saw so many leave with 5 minutes to go.

the belief in the team to grind a result is wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Get the defense sorted, get Vidal and Di Maria.

United have the means to get the top players in that can and who know how to win leagues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was one of those who gave Moyes plenty of time and I have no problem with people being patient with LVG, I am also one of those. I am in no way against LVG but Moyes was slated, early on, for things he siad in interviews, starting line ups, lack of sideline activity and sustitutions.

I have no problem with being patient, but mistakes on day one are as costly ones on day 365.

LVG today had the type of day that would have gotten Moyes hammered, absolutley hammered on here. From things he said, subs he made and things he didn't do on the sideline.

And if he was getting a hard time then people would be saying be patient.

Can't win.

If the general feeling is one of not to go mad giving out about Van Gaal at this point like some would have Moyes, its probably because of the difference in their behavior, demeanor, words since taking over and record as managers.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    So there will be no Gif-splosion when we sign Vidal?

F*ck sake anyway....

Well, provided none of the GIFs show in-game football from the Premier League....

Probably not the place to say this but I find it strange how a site like reddit which has a much a lot more users than boards doesn't seem to give a crap about copyright compared to here.

I know boards just doesn't want the headache but it's going to drive a lot of people away from here I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Well, provided none of the GIFs show in-game football from the Premier League....

Its cool, we can draw stick men representations of goals, it'll be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Louis Van Gaal:
    We are not reaching our level. That's the main thing. Because of that, we didn't play as a team. Nevertheless, we had chances to win this game. We gave a lot of space away in the second half. We played with more pressing. They scored one goal out of two chances in the second half.
    It's more than disappointing for the fans. They are expecting a lot because we have won every game in pre-season. Then you lose the first match. That's disappointing for the fans, also for the players and also for me. It's a very bad day for us.We make steps and you have to learn from your steps. We are not the champions. Swansea are not champions because they have beaten us. At the end of the season, we will know who is champion and who has learned from the steps we've made.

When asked about buying new players
    Yes, but I have thought that before this match, so it is no different. When we were playing in the US, I thought the same.I know in what positions we need better players. But you have to buy only when the player can fulfil the way of playing that I ask. We have to wait and see. But we could have won today.

Refused to reveal how many new players he wants:
    I don’t discuss that with you. I am sorry. That is the wrong tendency of this press conference. I thought that in the United States of America, but you make a relationship with this match. No, it is not like that

Jim White using Twitter to say about Benatia actually has me excited; doesn't seem the type to be tweeting stuff that isn't looking very likely....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Better ye slip up on the first day of the season that towards the end of it lads!

The silver linings of today are that investments have to be made, no ifs or buts. I can't say what is going on behind the scenes - I am sure that Woodward and co. are doing their best, but things need to accelerate. Make 3 signings and it's a team that will achieve CL qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I heard Benetia is off to Chelsea.

just question for you, be interested to hear thoughts.

do you think we need a winger? we seemed to lack lot of pace today(among 1000 other problems)

I think even if we play 4411 (or 433 as van Gaal calls it) we're okay for wingers and pace. Welbeck as a striker and Nani on the wing have lots of pace. Young and Zaha are okay back-up wingers and both have pace. From further back, Rafael has plenty of pace and Shaw is really fast. Januzaj doesn't have much pace, but he beats players with ease and is a good crosser, so I think he's very good on the wing.

The only thing that would really concern me about wingers, if we go with 4411 permanently, is whether or not Nani is going to continue to be a sick note. If he is, then maybe we need to go out and get a top class winger and sell/loan out a few of the back-ups.

With the 3412 I'd be worried that Mata, Rooney and RvP wouldn't be fast enough. I think PhlegmyMoses said it earlier, RVP coming in won't fix a lack of pace when we're playing 3412, so either him or Rooney would have to be dropped for Welbeck or Nani or one of those.

I can understand people wanting the likes of Di Maria, Sanches (too late now) or Cuadrado, but I'm not too concerned about them myself. As long as Nani is going to be back to normal health and especially if we're going to play 3412 a lot.

Its such a shame. Of all the bad things that happened today and I can't even post that gif of the bird ****ting in Youngs mouth to lighten the mood.

• Advertisement

Its such a shame. Of all the bad things that happened today and I can't even post that gif of the bird ****ting in Youngs mouth to lighten the mood.

I think I'm right saying we can link to goals and stuff like that on YouTube? Used to be the case

I think that post sums up the day on so, so many levels :pac:

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think I'm right saying we can link to goals and stuff like that on YouTube? Used to be the case

Yes, YouTube is grand. They are to take care of their own copyright claims apparently, so Youtube videos are grand.

For now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

twam2008 wrote: »
    I heard Benetia is off to Chelsea.

Highly unlikely. We need to sell or loan a foreigner before we bring in another.

Actually, yeah you've reminded me now. I do remember people freaking out about things Moyes was saying in interviews and press conferences from the start. And that hasn't been the same so far with LVG.

Win or lose this season, people who genuinely worry about what managers say in public are in for a rough time with Louis.

Yes, YouTube is grand. They are to take care of their own copyright claims apparently, so Youtube videos are grand.

For now.....

Well in that case, enjoy fellas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ashely Young young Young
    He's better than no one
    Ashely Young Young Young
    He's our waste of money
    To the left to the right
    To the **** beat tonight
    With the fat brass he is class
    And! bird ****s in his mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Louis in the relegation zone already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Whatever that is appears to go behind his head, no? Just looks likes a poorly timed gob of spit to me.

Poor Ashley, first his missus makes a tit of herself at the awards and now this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hitchens wrote: »
    Louis in the relegation zone already?

...and Swansea won the league earlier on as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Headshot wrote: »
    Ashely Young young Young
    He's better than no one
    Ashely Young Young Young
    He's our waste of money
    To the left to the right
    To the **** beat tonight
    With the fat brass he is class
    And! and bird ****s in his mouth

That is dreaful. Absolutely dreadful. At least make it rhyme.

Aaaaaash-leeeeeeey Young, Young, Young
    15 million? We got stung
    Ashley Young, Young, Young,
    Useless bastard should be hung
    On the left, on the right,
    In the middle, he's still shíte,
    He can't shoot, he can't pass
    And we're gooooooooooooooing toooo fiiiiiniiiiiiiiiiish laaaaaaaaaaaast.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement