Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Chagan wrote: »
    Whatever that is appears to go behind his head, no? Just looks likes a poorly timed gob of spit to me.

Poor Ashley, first his missus makes a tit of herself at the awards and now this crap.

Watch closely, there are two projectiles laucnhed from the birds arse, one goes behing Ashley and the other into his mouth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

GSPfan wrote: »
    So lets say we eventually get Rojo and Benatia then thats defence sorted.

We just need something inspiring in the middle of the park and maybe DiMaria just cause he might be available.

Sorted.

If one of them gets injured...it's back to today's lot, that's United's problem in my opinion. You need to sign replacements for the first team signings too. It has only taken one injury to Shaw to see Young at left back.

Ferguson for example was getting performances out of these players, if you can good enough performances out of them, then only a few players are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think even if we play 4411 (or 433 as van Gaal calls it) we're okay for wingers and pace. Welbeck as a striker and Nani on the wing have lots of pace. Young and Zaha are okay back-up wingers and both have pace. From further back, Rafael has plenty of pace and Shaw is really fast. Januzaj doesn't have much pace, but he beats players with ease and is a good crosser, so I think he's very good on the wing.

The only thing that would really concern me about wingers, if we go with 4411 permanently, is whether or not Nani is going to continue to be a sick note. If he is, then maybe we need to go out and get a top class winger and sell/loan out a few of the back-ups.

With the 3412 I'd be worried that Mata, Rooney and RvP wouldn't be fast enough. I think PhlegmyMoses said it earlier, RVP coming in won't fix a lack of pace when we're playing 3412, so either him or Rooney would have to be dropped for Welbeck or Nani or one of those.

I can understand people wanting the likes of Di Maria, Sanches (too late now) or Cuadrado, but I'm not too concerned about them myself. As long as Nani is going to be back to normal health and especially if we're going to play 3412 a lot.

Sound's awful. Something sam allardyce would say to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

nuxxx wrote: »
    Scholes said the only player on the pitch today who would get into previous strong United teams would be Fletcher before he got his illness, a little over the top maybe but the lack of quality in the squad compared to Arsenal, City, Chelsea is frightening

I think you forgot Liverpool there also. I'd love love love United's front line. But genuinely think we have a better overall squad than United this year.

From the current united team, I'd have DeGea, Mata and RVP and Rooney. Other than that it's very average. Check all my posts, I'm not a troll. But United's situation now reminds me of us a few years ago.

I think the fact of the matter is it's going to take you 2/3 years as a club to turn it around. There are no quick fixes, and money is not the answer.

But the cream always rises, and it might be a year or 2..maybe 3, but United will be back, there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That is dreaful. Absolutely dreadful. At least make it rhyme.

Aaaaaash-leeeeeeey Young, Young, Young
    15 million? We got stung
    Ashley Young, Young, Young,
    Useless bastard should be hung
    On the left, on the right,
    In the middle, he's still shíte,
    He can't shoot, he can't pass
    And we're gooooooooooooooing to fiiiiiniiiiiiiiiiish laaaaaaaaaaaast.

so mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Father said he never saw so many leave with 5 minutes to go.

the belief in the team to grind a result is wandering.

Coming from another ITK, I doubt that you've ever known anyone who has ever been in Manchester, #ITK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just outside the relegation based on alphabetical status, fourth from bottom to be exact as it stands if either Arsenal or Crystal Palace wins their match might be pushed down further, still 37 games and 111 points left to be won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anyone else mentioned Benatia online other then Jim White? Seems a bit random he's saying that sky normally don't comment unless it's coming from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Man Utd have plenty of problems that have to be addressed if they are to make a run for the Champions League spots or very quickly it could be a second season without the Champions League.

Firstly, they need players. New players need to be brought in and when they're in, ship a rake of non-performers out. The defence and midfield needs urgent reinforcements with new players. Look at the players left in defence - Evans, Jones and Smalling. They are earnest players but they are far from being able to compete in the upper echelons of the Premier League, never mind in the Champions League. They are not comfortable with the ball at their feet. In the midfield, the non-attacking players consist of Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher and Fellaini. Again, these are players who simply can't compete against other top 4 combinations.

Secondly, the team aren't cunning or mentally strong enough. The team simply do not have the resolve or heart at the moment. There are no leaders and there is no-one there to be 'the glue' that binds the team together. Rooney as a captain is a joke in my opinion. As a player, he is fantastic. But that's because he can score goals and is relatively self-serving. He does not have charisma or leadership ability in my opinion and that permeates through the squad.

Thirdly, there is a lack of leadership from the top. The Glazers haven't been good for United in my opinion.

They are the main problems with United. Hopefully van Gaal can salvage a season but the honest truth is that the squad don't have the players/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Coming from another ITK, I doubt that you've ever known anyone who has ever been in Manchester, #ITK

wtf.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Didn't get to see the match today, were we as bad as everyone saying. LVG getting some flack, what did he do or not do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

What happened to us signing depay ? The lad has scored 4 goals in 2 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Has anyone else mentioned Benatia online other then Jim White? Seems a bit random he's saying that sky normally don't comment unless it's coming from somewhere.

Haven't seen it anywhere else, but there must be something of substance in it for sky to be talking about it, come to think of it, the fact that nobody else is talking about it might make it more reliable. Going on how all the rumours seem to be complete BS this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Montroseee wrote: »
    DO you not think that Januzaj is actually better than Ronaldo was at 19? I certainly do.
    He is not, and it's not all that close. People seem to forget that Ronaldo had some great spells with us in his first two years, but his main issues were consistency, and just how horrendous he could be when not having a good day (in every sense of the word horrendous).

Januzaj has a higher 'base level' the Ronaldo did at his age, but Ronaldo's potential and ability when on form were definitely better at 19.

I'm a big fan of Januzaj though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dfx- wrote: »

Ferguson for example was getting performances out of these players, if you can good enough performances out of them, then only a few players are required.

I dont know if Ferguson was getting decent performances out of Smalling though .
    He is a terrible footballer ,weak of mind and awful on the ball .
    Im not sure he is even good enough for the Premiership never mind Man Utd.

The signing of two quality centre backs is imperative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jim White is usually decent as well on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Sound's awful. Something sam allardyce would say to keep everyone happy

That's a fun way of disagreeing with an opinion. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

You'd wonder from a PR perspective if Man Utd might leak information such as the Benatia thing right about now. Long shot maybe but you'd never know.

Jones, Smalling and Evans are all right footed so I thought our next central defensive signing would be left footed (like Vermaelen) but of course they might not be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Add Di Maria, Khedira, Rojo, Vidal and we'll be laughing Fapping.

Fyp...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bad result.... Media leak on incoming player.... What was the result again?

I don't follow Jim White but a quick look through and it doesn't seem he's one for posting bulls#it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Tonight I feel sad :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reedsie wrote: »
    You'd wonder from a PR perspective if Man Utd might leak information such as the Benatia thing right about now. Long shot maybe but you'd never know.

Jones, Smalling and Evans are all right footed so I thought our next central defensive signing would be left footed (like Vermaelen) but of course they might not be available.

Evans is left footed. Unfortunately he's always injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

That's what's worrying me, they are publishing stories about LVG in no rush to sign players. I have a feeling there will be very little transfer activity, I.e. no value in the market bollocks. We are way behind the top clubs in Europe and yet seem to be doing very little to address it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't follow Jim White but a quick look through and it doesn't seem he's one for posting bulls#it.

Given he is the face of Sky sport's transfer news, they would want to keep their reliability high.

But maybe i want it so much I am glossing over the fact it's basically a twitter rumour :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Given he is the face of Sky sport's transfer news, they would want to keep their reliability high.

But maybe i want it so much I am glossing over the fact it's basically a twitter rumour :(

They reported it on SSN a few minutes ago. Said 'Sky sources ' say the clubs are in negotiations and he's traveling to Manchester.

He's not. He has usually been stuck on the left side but he's stronger with his right.

Van Gaal hinted as much yesterday in the press conference when he said the left footed Blackett would suit that position (left of the three)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Isn't he right footed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If we had to sign a left footed CB, should be going for someone like Laporte or Inigo Martinez

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They reported it on SSN a few minutes ago. Said 'Sky sources ' say the clubs are in negotiations and he's traveling to Manchester.

IF he's travelling to Manchester, you'd imagine we've agreed a fee or something with Roma; surely personal terms could be done with his agent or so forth. Surely travelling means "for a contract and a medical".

Right?

RIIIGHT!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

IF he's travelling to Manchester, you'd imagine we've agreed a fee or something with Roma; surely personal terms could be done with his agent or so forth. Surely travelling means "for a contract and a medical".

Right?

RIIIGHT!?!?!

Hope so. It would improve us greatly, but still need another top player for the central midfield. Fletcher isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Does anyone genuinely believe we will sign top-quality players? All summer I felt we would, that lessons would be learned from last year and the squad/first 11 improved, but not anymore. People thinking "today will be the final nail in the coffin, we have to sign quality" are wrong, well they aren't wrong but in thinking today makes a difference they are. For the best part of 3 years we've said that when we were made a show of in Europe or hammered by City/Pool and no change. The only difference, is we are getting steadily worse.

Last season people said at least if we see a good performance and lose it will be something, but we were awful today. First home game, full of confidence and we couldn't even "look good". Could you imagine if City opened to Swansea? They'd have been put to the sword.

I am gradually beginning to think we are witnessing the beginning of the end in terms of challenging at the top. All the players out, all the players that had been needed before the exodus and just 2 players signed? Its utter madness before you realise we spent 122m in the last year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hope so. It would improve us greatly, but still need another top player for the central midfield. Fletcher isn't good enough.

Only issue is the African nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

David Moyes won his first league game in charge of Manchester United 4-1 against Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Right?

RIIIGHT!?!?!

Correct. Roma would only let him fly over if a fee was agreed. It would just be personal terms and a medical next. I saw him play a couple of times last season for Roma and hes nothing spectacular. He was decent in those 2 games I saw him in. We lacked pace today in the final 3rd so I would think Di Maria aswell as Rojo to cover the left back slot might be next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

POSSY wrote: »
    Does anyone genuinely believe we will sign top-quality players? All summer I felt we would, that lessons would be learned from last year and the squad/first 11 improved, but not anymore. People thinking "today will be the final nail in the coffin, we have to sign quality" are wrong, well they aren't wrong but in thinking today makes a difference they are. For the best part of 3 years we've said that when we were made a show of in Europe or hammered by City/Pool and no change. The only difference, is we are getting steadily worse.

Last season people said at least if we see a good performance and lose it will be something, but we were awful today. First home game, full of confidence and we couldn't even "look good". Could you imagine if City opened to Swansea? They'd have been put to the sword.

I am gradually beginning to think we are witnessing the beginning of the end in terms of challenging at the top. All the players out, all the players that had been needed before the exodus and just 2 players signed? Its utter madness before you realise we spent 122m in the last year!!

Beginning of the end?

Could have sworn it was beginning of the season....

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I would rather lose the first game with Van Gaal than have Moyes managing us. He was like a rabbit stuck in the headlights.

twam2008 wrote: »
    I would rather lose the first game with Van Gaal than have Moyes managing us. He was like a rabbit stuck in the headlights.
    true enough

Beginning of the end?

Could have sworn it was beginning of the season....

I don't think we will make CL this year, struggle to attract more players and probably under-perform next year. Won't take the Glazers long to sell up and go. Whatever happens then, I'm not too sure but I think we are probably going the way of Liverpool at the beginning of the 90s.

I hope I'm wrong, but all things considered theres not much too be confident about is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I don't think we will make CL this year, struggle to attract more players and probably under-perform next year. Won't take the Glazers long to sell up and go. Whatever happens then, I'm not too sure but I think we are probably going the way of Liverpool at the beginning of the 90s.

I hope I'm wrong, but all things considered theres not much too be confident about is there?

All of this is awfully similar to the opening day defeat to Villa all those years ago when the famous words were uttered......

'You'll never win anything with kids'

Ah yes, and too was proved to be utter bull, here lads have a little faith, LVG will come good and as far as CL, I'm fully confident we will get CL as I am confident we will get at least 1 new face in within next few days....

Anyhow, I'm more concerned at the mo with removing the excess baggage and creating a good core from which we can develop the good talents we have at the club... Too many average players for us to carry at the min for our real talents to emerge.....

Still, LVG will get us there

• Advertisement

Fergie used to always talk about football being cyclical. Takes time to build a team, you reach a high, opposition clubs adapt, you fall back, you rebuild in a new way.
    My own view is that we reached the high in 2008. Other clubs adapted and we went into decline.
    The problem is: we didn't rebuild in the right manner and now we're left with an average bunch, and a few top players.
    We replaced ronaldo with Valencia. Vidic with jones. And so on.
    New manager in again and we're at the beginning of a rebuilding process again.

But sooner or later we have to start making the right choices and get the players needed. Benatia would be a good start. Maybe Vidal or Khedira would improve us greatly.
    When we have rafeal and shaw and rvp back we will be a much stronger outfit. It's not all lost. Just gotta start doing the right things for the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

There's four players I have a big problem with in the squad - Nani, Anderson, Young and Cleverley. Whats needed is a Guardiola style cull of these players aswell as a few others who are utter poison. Ultimately, there really needs to be about 7 or 8 new additions within the next year.

Today was soul destroying considering the pre season we've had. The only real positives were that the Jones/Smalling/Blackett trio actually played quite well and Adnan too, Blackett was very composed but it still is only one game. Herrera wasn't great at all but given our options there is huge expectation and pressure on him to hit the ground running, he's still quite young. Fletcher should only be playing in cup games, he's just not a good player at all anymore, the best midfield is Fellaini and Ander. It's tough when it comes to Chico as he's so likeable but he needs to move ASAP as the irregular gametime really shows, he's been poor for quite some time now. I have a good feeling about transfer, really feel as if we will get two top players in. Benatia and Rojo is just the start.

Fergie used to always talk about football being cyclical. Takes time to build a team, you reach a high, opposition clubs adapt, you fall back, you rebuild in a new way.
    doesn't always work that way........look at Leeds Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Benatia SSN bit...

https://vine.co/v/M3Kt1pXAtTr

Glazers aren't going anywhere, not with all that yummy Adidas/Chevrolet money rolling in.
    Ah yes, and too was proved to be utter bull, here lads have a little faith, LVG will come good and as far as CL, I'm fully confident we will get CL as I am confident we will get at least 1 new face in within next few days....

You won't win anything with kids, not these days. If you want to be competitive, you spend money. Simple as that. Cash is king.

Hitchens wrote: »
    doesn't always work that way........look at Leeds Utd

Obviously every club doesn't follow that path ... I'm talking about clubs who remain at the top for long periods of time.

All of this is awfully similar to the opening day defeat to Villa all those years ago when the famous words were uttered......

'You'll never win anything with kids'

Anyhow, I'm more concerned at the mo with removing the excess baggage and creating a good core from which we can develop the good talents we have at the club... Too many average players for us to carry at the min for our real talents to emerge.....

Still, LVG will get us there

I sincerely hope I end up looking Hansend but I don't think the two are comparable. In all reality, the PL has moved on so much since then, you've now got 4 very good teams to pick from for league contenders (Chelsea/City/Pool/Arsenal) and we need to move past one of those to get CL. I don't see which of those teams Utd could get by?

And I see what you are saying about needing to get rid of deadwood but even before these players became deadwood (i.e. when Ando/Nani/etc looked capable), we needed to address midfield and didn't.

At this moment in time is there anything to make you think we will turn things around rather than become another Liverpool? Its not that we are in decline, its the manner in which the decline has progressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We need to sign Vidal, Benatia, Rojo and Blind. It's simple really

We are also very slow when attacking and I'm starting to think RVP Rooney and Mata in the 3412 won't work as well as it looks on paper. Mata struggles when there is no pace for him to feed and Rooney always wants to come short for the ball. We need one of them to play more of a Aguero or Suarez role but I don't think either would be able to

Lots of work for Van Gaal to do over the next few months and I'm not very optimistic about the results we will get while things are being tweaked

Apparantly Jim White has tweeted 11 transfer rumours this summer and all have been on the money

2zywev4.jpg

August 16 - Benetia to Man Utd (official ???)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

There is another possibility...

That Van Gaal is a spoofer and a charlatan just looking for one last big pay day.

I'm sorry, but Ray Charles wouldn't need to "assess the squad" to realise that reinforcements are needed.

We're Donald Ducked until we spend north of £100m.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Glazers aren't going anywhere, not with all that yummy Adidas/Chevrolet money rolling in.

There's gonna come a time they'll look at cashing in the lot and you'd have to figure that time will be soon as the clubs in a very healthy financial position (i.e. very attractive) and before they'd have to fork out another 100m to get us back where we were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement