Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

v3ttel wrote: »
    Sorry, but what the hell are talking about....in the last 12 months:

Fellaini - £27.5m
    Mata £37.1m
    Herrera - £29m
    Shaw - £27m

And you can bet that Benatia (should the stories turn out to be true), will cost around £30m.

You made my point, how can we expect to compete with the best of europe when we claim Fellaini as a major signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

twam2008 wrote: »
    Name our big money signings, our Fabregas's, our Neymar's, our Costa's, our Kroos's, we are not competing with the best, we are Manchester United is wearing thin.

Our Matas?

Liam O wrote: »
    Our Matas?

That it? That's all we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You made my point, how can we expect to compete with the best of europe when we claim Fellaini as a major signing?

Actually, what you said was
    Name our big money signings, our Fabregas's, our Neymar's, our Costa's, our Kroos's, we are not competing with the best, we are Manchester United is wearing thin.

Notice the subtle difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

You made my point

You said we don't spend money, similar to Arsenal a few seasons ago. I pointed out we have spent £120.6m in the last 12 months alone.

It's quite clear that your original point was total and utter bollocks. Pleas re-read this post by Pro. F and grasp the point being made.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Except for the fact that we're actually spending a lot of money. You are confusing the club not buying players with the club not buying the players you want.

kryogen wrote: »
    Actually, what you said was

Notice the subtle difference

We all want to win the league, at least qualify for the Champions League, why do we deserve that more than Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Robin van Persie, Juan Mata, David De Gea. All among the best in their positions, bought recently and for significant money.

Edit: Actually, I meant to prove you wrong on your statement that we're not spending money. So add the likes of Fellaini, Shaw and Hererra to that list too.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Very very touchy man - calm the hormones...

Not touchy at all. I can just see that your over the top defence of Moyes last season is causing you to make Moyes supporting comments this season.

Apologies, I'm just antsy, was hoping for much better today and also thought we'd be a lot more active in the transfer market than we have been.

We all want to win the league, at least qualify for the Champions League, why do we deserve that more than Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City?

Cause we are the bestest and most handsomest of them all?

Since you have wandered off to another tangent I may aswell ask, who said we deserve that more then Chelsea or City? (Since they are the only two in your list we are in actual competition with for that)

I see your last post now, we can leave it there if you want. We all want to have had a better day today, we all would like to have more activity (to varying degrees) in the transfer market. Im happy to leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

v3ttel wrote: »
    Sorry, but what the hell are talking about....in the last 12 months:

Fellaini - £27.5m
    Mata £37.1m
    Herrera - £29m
    Shaw - £27m

And you can bet that Benatia (should the stories turn out to be true), will cost around £30m.

Tbh that's the minimum I'd expect United to be paying over 3 transfer windows, especially with rebuilding and an improved financial situatuon. 25-30 million isn't huge money these days, about 15-18 ml. A few years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Biggest club in the world"

"We can spend £70 million a player." This has been said two summers in a row now by that idiot, Woodward.

The club was swimming in money even before the Adidas and Cherolet deals.

There's no reason why we shouldn't be blowing £150-200 million to fix this awful squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

J. Marston wrote: »

"We can spend £70 million a player." This has been said two summers in a row now by that idiot, Woodward.

There's no reason why we shouldn't be blowing £150-200 million to fix this awful squad.

No reason we shouldn't be blowing 200 million? I don't think its Woodward who is the idiot here..

Hard to take a lot of positives from today. Januzaj was excellent when he came on, not many others covered themselves in glory.

Losing might be a blessing in disguise, and highlight the fact that we need serious signings in defence and midfield.

J. Marston wrote: »

About £120m or so has been spent in the last 12 months so not exactly too far off your estimation of what should be spent eh

You would swear the club is not spending money

The manager would not be a shrinking violet if he had an issue with the clubs transfer policy either so maybe you should direct your vitriol there? Van Gaal has been clear and consistent with what he has said regarding the squad, his philosophy and transfers.

You may not like it, that is what the Chinese call "Tough ****" though.

Woody clearly has no issue spending the money.

Hard to take a lot of positives from today. Januzaj was excellent when he came on, not many others covered themselves in glory.

Losing might be a blessing in disguise, and highlight the fact that we need serious signings in defence and midfield.

This is something I always take issue with, I thought Januzaj and Nani had pretty good games when they were on the field, but in no way shape or form was Januzaj excellent.

You can see the potential, you can see the improvement already from last year but the hype job is pretty incredible at times, he was extremely wasteful plenty of times and will learn with experience of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This is something I always take issue with, I thought Januzaj and Nani had pretty good games when they were on the field, but in no way shape or form was Januzaj excellent.

You can see the potential, you can see the improvement already from last year but the hype job is pretty incredible at times, he was extremely wasteful plenty of times and will learn with experience of course.

I think when Januzaj gets praise it's relevant to his age and experience more so than in comparison to other players. I tend to be more amazed by him beating a player than say Nani. It's not fair but I notice myself thinking that way.

A pretty good game but wasteful sounds like a fair assessment of his performance in this game to me. In the second half anyway, when he was playing in a suitable position.

The incredible ease with which he changes direction and goes by players though is something truly exceptional. This guy is deserving of very high praise right now imo, not just the "he's doing well and he can develop" type of stuff that many people are going with.

I think he should be given a lot of regular football this season, he's not going to develop properly otherwise. I'm very worried that with our bloated attacking options and 3412 formation that that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

A pretty good game but wasteful sounds like a fair assessment of his performance in this game to me. In the second half anyway, when he was playing in a suitable position.

The incredible ease with which he changes direction and goes by players though is something truly exceptional. This guy is deserving of very high praise right now imo, not just the "he's doing well and he can develop" type of stuff that many people are going with.

I think he should be given a lot of regular football this season, he's not going to develop properly otherwise. I'm very worried that with our bloated attacking options and 3412 formation that that won't happen.

I think he'll get plenty of games this season as a left or right sided forward, can see us using 433 a lot this season when we get the right players in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think he'll get plenty of games this season as a left or right sided forward, can see us using 433 a lot this season when we get the right players in.

There's better players now to play that than 3-5-2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is true, but the wastefulness prize for the match goes to Rooney. Jesus I wanted grab him and give him a good shake! He did plenty right, but there were so many wasteful balls from him that it was compounding my frustration.

Another solid promising performance from Phil Jones I thought, he looks like someone who is grabbing his chance to make the position his own by the scruff of the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Liam O wrote: »
    There's better players now to play that than 3-5-2...

Aye, I would agree but LvG doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I agree with Kroygen tbh what he said in previous posts

On the road to Dublin now wish me luck surviving with no sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't think our centre halves were an issue yesterday but we do need cover there. We need cover in the full back positions (if we're going to play 4 at the back) and for midfield we need one signing, one top class player to partner Herrera.

So one starting signing...and thats discounting Carrick and Fellaini as potential partners for Herrera.

He is going to have to be some player to turn things around sufficiently for the masses.

I don't think we'll sign any more midfielders myself this window just considering stuff like Fletcher being vice captain, LVGs high regard for Carrick and the prospect of getting Strootman eventually.

Herrera showed promise in pre season and yesterday as someone who can't prompt our attacking play, but he will take time to settle, especially when combined with someone like mata or Kagawa so we need a defensive holding player, the lads we have should be able to do that job.

I think we now see for sure that 3412 will not be the only formation utilised this season and even in that one I would be excited at the prospect of him lining up as one of the strikers in that formation, similar to Robben in the world cup, a sort of free forward role, he doesn't have pace like Robben but he could be deadly in that sort of role. He showed flashes when he came on there against Valencia.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think when Januzaj gets praise it's relevant to his age and experience more so than in comparison to other players. I tend to be more amazed by him beating a player than say Nani. It's not fair but I notice myself thinking that way.

Yeah, that's fair enough I guess, its a natural thing I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

It will be interesting to hear what they say on Sunday supplement. I'd say it will be the main topic of debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

We lacked pace going forward that puts the opposition on the back foot so I would favour a player like di Maria to come in. A world class signing would also lift the mood.

Interesting on the supplement there. They were basically laying the blame at the owners and Woodward. Being too fussy over transfer fees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Still think that Woodward gets too much blame; it's not that he is perfect but he doesn't choose the transfer targets, the manager does. And the arguement about he Glaziers really doesn't stand up either when you realise we have invested 120m over the last 12 months. You can argue the money isn't being spent well, but you can't say the money isn't being given to be spent....

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Still think that Woodward gets too much blame; it's not that he is perfect but he doesn't choose the transfer targets, the manager does. And the arguement about he Glaziers really doesn't stand up either when you realise we have invested 120m over the last 12 months. You can argue the money isn't being spent well, but you can't say the money isn't being given to be spent....

I wouldn't argue with that. There does, however, seem to be a problem somewhere along the line in terms of bringing in the right players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Ok they've spent a fortune but that doesn't mean they're not being fussy over fees - dragging transfers out for the sake of a million here and there or 10k a week in wages.

Funny but for all my ranting about defenders (and we still need 2 or 3) it was the lack of a central midfield that cost us yesterday. Yet again our attack was pulled deep to cover, yet again the opposition just ran through the middle. Fellani was shocking when he came on. Herrara looked lost but has no partner.

I think we need 2 mid fielders, one top quality one to start and partner Herrara and a decent rotation option as whats there is plainly not improved on last season.

Ed and the Glazers need to relax the strings if they're not going to make a balls of it again this season. We probably need 4 or 5 players in the next 2 weeks, That's scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I wouldn't argue with that. There does, however, seem to be a problem somewhere along the line in terms of bringing in the right players.

There is so many needed that it that is hard to get the right one's.

It's not like the 1st team is fine and only 3 are needed to improve the squad, like at Chelsea, City, even Arsenal.

5 more quality signings of 150 million are needed IMO.

Team has been left to deteriorate to **** over the years.

New central midfield is needed, right back, centre back, at least 1 good winger needed.

Van Gaal has a hell of a job and he knows it.

• I wouldn't argue with that. There does, however, seem to be a problem somewhere along the line in terms of bringing in the right players.

I fear that yesterdays result has given other clubs even more reason to bloat the asking prices for players that we may be after.

I can see another panic buy on deadline day to boot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I agree to an extent. Just disagree with where people dump a lot of the blame.

For me, difficulties come from the fact we need several players from a category which tends to be very difficult to buy from (World class players), at a time when we have a few things against us (No CL football, bigger teams needing the same type of players), at a time where we have had two new managers in 12 months. To go "Woodward is a waster" is a drastic oversimplification of the situation IMO, and why it irks me when people fall back so quickly onto the idea.

I agree to an extent. Just disagree with where people dump a lot of the blame.

For me, difficulties come from the fact we need several players from a category which tends to be very difficult to buy from (World class players), at a time when we have a few things against us (No CL football, bigger teams needing the same type of players), at a time where we have had two new managers in 12 months. To go "Woodward is a waster" is a drastic oversimplification of the situation IMO, and why it irks me when people fall back so quickly onto the idea.

I was just commenting on the Sunday supplement. Personally I don't think Woodward is a waster at all.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I fear that yesterdays result has given other clubs even more reason to bloat the asking prices for players that we may be after.

I can see another panic buy on deadline day to boot.

True.

Management have to take the blame there, should have done business early like Chelsea, similar situation to Arsenal over the last few years, penny pinching at the start of the windows, get humiliated, have to buy and get fleeced.

A 15 mill player will cost yee 30 mill now.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    There is so many needed that it that is hard to get the right one's.

It's not like the 1st team is fine and only 3 are needed to improve the squad, like at Chelsea, City, even Arsenal.

5 more quality signings of 150 million are needed IMO.

Team has been left to deteriorate to **** over the years.

New central midfield is needed, right back, centre back, at least 1 good winger needed.

Van Gaal has a hell of a job and he knows it.

I don't agree with the idea we need to spend that type of money. Yes we need a top central midfielder but it doesn't have to cost us 50 million.
    Hector Herrera is a fine player and wouldn't cost a fortune.
    Although it would be rather confusing if he's playing alongside ander Herrera. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The next 2 weeks are the most important of many utd fans lifetime. As is that utd squad is miles off off top 4 and will struggle to compete for any honours.

Id imagine another year out of the champions league and the like of RVP and Mata and maybe even Rooney could start agitating for a move.

I don't agree with the idea we need to spend that type of money. Yes we need a top central midfielder but it doesn't have to cost us 50 million.
    Hector Herrera is a fine player and wouldn't cost a fortune.
    Although it would be rather confusing if he's playing alongside ander Herrera. :)

Your right, but Porto know ye are desperate and will jack up the price.

Everyone will when they hear Manchester United are buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lacked pace going forward yesterday. Created f**k all. Blackett a positive although he commited a schoolboy error giving the ball back to let them have a quick free kick for second goal. Fletcher, Nani, Young, Chico, Ando, Fellani, Cleverly are just not good enough for us and need to be moved on. Fletcher could be kept as a squad player. A top center half, Vidal or Schweinstiger for mids and Di Maria or Reus for attacking pace are all required if we are to be challenging for the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Anyone think ( apart from the contracts and transfer requests issues) that appointing Rooney as captain could impact on his game and the contribution he will and will try to make..
    Can see him often tracking back too much, getting frustrated with himself and others, wanting to appear to be leading etc etc

I know there aren't too many contenders but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

I think we as fans are overrating Januzai. I'm fearful that he's not going to become the player that some people think he's going to become.

I actually thought it was telling that the manager, who has clearly shown he's willing to give youth a chance, started a debutant in a position that Januzai can play, ahead of Januzai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He shouldn't have got the captaincy in first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Anyone think ( apart from the contracts and transfer requests issues) that appointing Rooney as captain could impact on his game and the contribution he will and will try to make..
    Can see him often tracking back too much, getting frustrated with himself and others, wanting to appear to be leading etc etc

I know there aren't too many contenders but..

That's a good point and I could see that happening but its then up to the Manager to correct it.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Your right, but Porto know ye are desperate and will jack up the price.

Everyone will when they hear Manchester United are buying.

Listen, until we fix the squad, we have to overpay. Everyone knows we are desperate. We have to overpay, then we gradually add to the squad for more realistic money.

We need to start shipping out a few players as well. Lighten the wage bill.

Read there this morning that Cleverley is to be offered a new contract. If that happens, I give up. The lunatics are running the asylum.

I think the problem is we are playing catchup. An awful lot of money needs to be invested in the squad. Right now its hard to argue that we have a squad that can break into the top four. Yet with most transfers we seem to be haggling. We spent all of past summer putting in stupid bids for Fabregas, Chelsea had no problem getting him. If we get Benetia, Rojo, and Vidal or Reus or DiMaria, things will look better but it shouldn't stop there.

Check out the table on spending since 1992. www.transferleague.co.uk

Danye wrote: »
    I think we as fans are overrating Januzai. I'm fearful that he's not going to become the player that some people think he's going to become.

I actually thought it was telling that the manager, who has clearly shown he's willing to give youth a chance, started a debutant in a position that Januzai can play, ahead of Januzai.

Wing back? No way, wouldnt be a fan of him playing there at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Headshot wrote: »
    He shouldn't have got the captaincy in first place

Wouldn't disagree with that.. Presume you mean for his transfer and contract antics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Get de Jong and Di Maria now plus a CB and strootman in January ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement