Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Looks like Di Maria is staying at Madrid. Carlo saying him and Khedira will not be leaving.
    Story coming out of Germany that bayern are sniffing around Benatia.

weisses wrote: »
    Get de Jong and Di Maria now plus a CB and strootman in January ....

Di Maria is off. Forget strootman in January. Not gonna happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jim White may not be infallible after all

Daniel Busch ‏@dan_bu 14m

Bayern's technical director Michael Reschke is in Rome right now to talk to Roma about Mehdi Benatia, according to Sport 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Danye wrote: »
    I think we as fans are overrating Januzai. I'm fearful that he's not going to become the player that some people think he's going to become.

I actually thought it was telling that the manager, who has clearly shown he's willing to give youth a chance, started a debutant in a position that Januzai can play, ahead of Januzai.

Adnan isn't a full back he's an attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Jim White may not be infallible after all

Daniel Busch ‏@dan_bu 14m

Bayern's technical director Michael Reschke is in Rome right now to talk to Roma about Mehdi Benatia, according to Sport 1.

Another one bites the dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So ****ing frustrating.

A blind man could see we need to buy and buy urgently... Wtf is going on behind closed doors at Manchester United.

Prioritise defence and midfield and we should have never had Rooney as captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You should all face it that we arent going to get any considerable players in now. Utd are a bit of a joke in transfer windows. For one of the biggest clubs in the world, they are a bit gutless in the transfer window.

I have no idea who is to blame at the club, in the end it will be Woodwards fault but it was the very same as under David Gill.

Rightly or wrongly Woodward will be the fall guy if we fail to bring in the required talent in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How the **** was the squad allowed deteriorate over a number of years. No value in the market my hole

Headshot wrote: »
    You should all face it that we arent going to get any considerable players in now. Utd are a bit of a joke in transfer windows. For one of the biggest clubs in the world, they are a bit gutless in the transfer window.

I have no idea who is to blame at the club, in the end it will be Woodwards fault but it was the very same as under David Gill.

At the end of the day we were successful with Gill (Fergie) at the helm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What exactly can you do if Bayern come in for a player you're after if you're not Madrid or Barca?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

What exactly can you do if Bayern come in for a player you're after if you're not Madrid or Barca?

You can have a plan B & C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I reckon Utd will move for someone good but people talking about 2-3 additional proven players are dreaming.

Shaw, Herrera and another to come is good spend for an off-season. Especially considering you got Mata in the window before that.

You get the deal done before bayern show interest.

Season is set to be a write off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Up your offer and give improved personal terms?

You can also move before bayern come in or offer more money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well the obvious answer is should have bought him before now if he was wanted and then the situation wouldn't come up

Bayern are only after a defender because Martinez was injured.

The interest has only surfaced in the last 2 days and came after supposed plan A - Vermaelen was snapped up by another team that nobody can compete with in the transfer market.

Get the feeling that a perfect storm is brewing. You could see yesterday that the fans have already lost patience.

Would not surprise me to see a glazers out, Woodward out campaign starting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should never be in this position in the first place. All the transfer activity should of been done while the team is in America. Its just crazy to think that our club is missing players for vital area's in our first team and we only have 2 weeks to correct this.

• Advertisement

The interest has only surfaced in the last 2 days and came after supposed plan A - Vermaelen was snapped up by another team that nobody can compete with in the transfer market.

Your wasting your time, the call for players being signed long ago will still be shouted loud as defenders were always required and it was known to be the case since before the end of last season.

I would be relaxed and agree with you that not much can be done if a player picks Bayern over United. Unless Van Gaal or someone else frpm United talks about a plan of action its hard to argue with people who say targets should have been identified earlier, pursued earlier and either bought or moved on from when the need for more than one player was there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tbh, whenever Benatia became available, there was going to be competition for him. Be it Bayern, Barca, or even someone close to home, at the moment, once a bigger team comes in (and they will always come in when a player of his ilk is available), then that's the ball game. Onto the next target....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

SPEND SOME F*CKING MONEY !!!

Get the feeling that a perfect storm is brewing. You could see yesterday that the fans have already lost patience.

Would not surprise me to see a glazers out, Woodward out campaign starting up.

Why would there be a Glazers out campaign? Utd as a club are doing well off the pitch and money is being provided for transfers

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Your wasting your time, the call for players being signed long ago will still be shouted loud as defenders were always required and it was known to be the case since before the end of last season.

I would be relaxed and agree with you that not much can be done if a player picks Bayern over United. Unless Van Gaal or someone else form United talks about a plan of action its hard to argue with people who say targets should have been identified earlier, pursued earlier and either bought or moved on from when the need for more than one player was there.

The problem is and has been for a while, that United are spending a lot of time on players that are in demand. It's easy to pick up a player like Hererra but he's not in the bracket of player that everybody is screaming out for to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh, whenever Benatia became available, there was going to be competition for him. Be it Bayern, Barca, or even someone close to home, at the moment, once a bigger team comes in (and they will always come in when a player of his ilk is available), then that's the ball game. Onto the next target....

Much as it pains me to say it, United are one of the top 3/4 clubs in the world. Surely you can compete with anyone for anyone, if you are determined.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why would there be a Glazers out campaign? Utd as a club are doing well off the pitch and money is being provided for transfers

Are they? Liverpool have outspent us the window. That's really depressing when you think about it, considering how well the club is doing financially.

Anyway, tuning out for the day. Getting a bit annoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I can see Louis Van Gaal walking out of the club if things go similar to last year. He will snap with all the media criticism and slaughter Woodward and co. in an interview.

In fairness Van Gaal may not have fully understood how difficult it was going to be to get players.

• Advertisement

twam2008 wrote: »
    In fairness Van Gaal may not have fully understood how difficult it was going to be to get players.

Van Gaal isn't on social media or forums like this giving out! (well he could be but you get the point)

He knows exactly what is going on and how easy or difficult it is to buy players

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Van Gaal isn't on social media or forums like this giving out! (well he could be but you get the point)

He knows exactly what is going on and how easy or difficult it is to buy players

True, he can get players in 24 hours after all.

Daley Blind playing for Ajax vs az on ss 5 at the moment.

Showing a good passing range so far!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fescue wrote: »
    Much as it pains me to say it, United are one of the top 3/4 clubs in the world. Surely you can compete with anyone for anyone, if you are determined.

I'd say United are (optamistically) 4th, behind Real, Bayern and Barca (in terms of where players will want to play). So those three, for me, will usually beat us out in transfers.

Meanwhile, Chelsea and City might not be as prestigious, but have everything else we do AND have a lot of cash AND Champions League football, so they'll likely out-do us for a lot of transfers as well.

PSG and Monaco are much the same too; lots of cash, Champions League football.

So that's 7 teams who we can compete with, sure, but all have the ability to out-do us in transfers no matter how hard we try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A manager of his experience and pedigree, should have no problem understanding the process involved in signing players. But what he probably didn't expect is, the muppets at United and their inability to sign or act decisively on who we need.

I vowed not to get bothered or sucked into the transfer malarkey. But when I see the likes of Liverpool signing... how many is it now? Nine players? I can't help but get píssed off with the lack of progress by United.

None of the top tier clubs needed a restocking like we did and all I see so far is the bare minimum. Ed better be about to pull something amazing out of his ass. But I'm not holding my breath on that tbh.

And with that I'm off the fence...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Daley Blind playing for Ajax vs az on ss 5 at the moment.

Showing a good passing range so far!

You don't win Best Midfielder 2014 without ability, regardless of league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

redzerdrog wrote: »
    even Rooney could start agitating for a move.

Never!

That lad is as loyal as they come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

If bayern get Benatia then I just give up, we're really going to struggle to get 4th place, just do not have the players in the first team or the squad. And January will be too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They''re sadly is going to be no quick fix soluition.

The more I think about Vidal the more I realise the delay.

However other targets should have been done by now as well as getting rid of dead wood.

LVG will get plenty right but can only do so much.

Im not even angry, more disappointed. Its a summer of failure so far.

We wont get 3 or 4 big names we will do well to get 1 or 2 but hopefully that is enough for top 4(not looking above that one bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

LVG has only been in the job a few weeks he has to see players in competitive games before he goes selling and buying players.

It has to be a case of putting the players out there real time and see who flops and who flys, from fans it's going to require patience a lot of it but I would imagine wants he knows who he wants things will start to turn.

I think he is big enough to deal with the disgruntle while he works on getting the rebuild done right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

We lost 2-1. A lot of people need to calm the **** down. Everyone can have an off day. It doesn't help that we've a rake of injuries and that Rooney, Mata and Chico had a pretty poor game.

Keep calm and Que Sera, Sera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Soups123 wrote: »
    LVG has only been in the job a few weeks he has to see players in competitive games before he goes selling and buying players.

It has to be a case of putting the players out there real time and see who flops and who flys, from fans it's going to require patience a lot of it but I would imagine wants he knows who he wants things will start to turn.

I think he is big enough to deal with the disgruntle while he works on getting the rebuild done right

This makes a lot of sense. I always felt there was a lot of work to be done to rebuild this team. Time and patience is what he needs.

That's why I was so surprised how bullish some people were about finishing in the top four. The team were so poor last year and not all of that is Moyes fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

have I hit a nerve?;)

oh and Name is Adrian.

you can follow me and my bro on twitter sweetheart. we love trolling so we do. his posts are all photoshopped;)

x x x x

He thinks that I'm your sockpuppet or that you're my sockpuppet...

Mad stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Interview in the daily mail with Moyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2726774/DAVID-MOYES-EXCLUSIVE-Manchester-United-never-gave-time-succeed-fail.html

Looks like LVG could be facing the same problems.

I think he knows a thing or two about transfers tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If Moyes was manager yesterday and made the same change as LVG, there would have been uproar. Fellaini for Herrara was crazy. Januzaj at wing back?
    Mata should have been replaced earlier with kagawa, but that didnt happen.

beno619 wrote: »
    I think he knows a thing or two about transfers tbh.

Of course he does, that wasn't what I was saying, what I was saying is he might not realise how hard it is to get players to the North of England and when the people in charge of the purse strings enjoy haggling. He wouldn't have had the same problems at the other big clubs he's managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think he'll get plenty of games this season as a left or right sided forward, can see us using 433 a lot this season when we get the right players in.
    kryogen wrote: »
    I think we now see for sure that 3412 will not be the only formation utilised this season and even in that one I would be excited at the prospect of him lining up as one of the strikers in that formation, similar to Robben in the world cup, a sort of free forward role, he doesn't have pace like Robben but he could be deadly in that sort of role. He showed flashes when he came on there against Valencia.

I wonder. I could see the 3412 being completely abandoned if the management continue to fail at getting the defensive shape working. But say that doesn't happen, do yous think it would be a viable plan to chop and change between two very different formations?

I might just be forgetting something obvious, but I can't think of a team/manager who have successfully alternated between flat back four and 3CBs + wing-backs formations.

I do like the idea of Januzaj playing at the front of the 3412 like Kryo describes too. That would probably mean the end of Chicharito at the club, which is a shame, but something has to give.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Moyes was manager yesterday and made the same change as LVG, there would have been uproar. Fellaini for Herrara was crazy. Januzaj at wing back?
    Mata should have been replaced earlier with kagawa, but that didnt happen.

Januzaj had to come on because of an injury, the formation was changed in the 2nd half so Januzaj was no longer a WB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Soups123 wrote: »

It has to be a case of putting the players out there real time and see who flops

Totally disagree. He can watch hours of matches previous to see how bad some of them are. How would you ever buy a player if you needed to see him play for you before you can judge him? Every player would have to be a loan deal first before you buy with that logic.

To be honest he is in the job a short amount of time but it is a bit mental if he thinks this group of players is gonna win him trophies. Same happened last year. The new manager thought he had a great squad until the window closed and then all of a sudden the talk of big changes started.

I reckon Van Gaal knows what players he wants but United are struggling to close the deals. He wont let players leave either till he brings in players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We lost 2-1. A lot of people need to calm the **** down. Everyone can have an off day. It doesn't help that we've a rake of injuries and that Rooney, Mata and Chico had a pretty poor game.

Keep calm and Que Sera, Sera.

Yesterday was a bad bad day for the club, it was supposed to signal a new start, a dawn of a new era.

We played Swanses and were fuc*king pathetic. Nobody had a "bad day", we played like that team can be expected to play and how its been playing for the last year.

Injuries? Rvp yes, but he is likely pick up some knock but will the rest of them make much of. Difference especially in big games? No way.

Its not just the squad thats broken, its the entire club. Our fanbase has lost its fight and from the minute i went inside the ground yesterday i sensed something strange was up. The fans have had enough - years of club mismanagement, now brought to insane levels of ineptness with money wasted and s shift on focus to determining our success by off field activity as opposed to football results.

On friday,I called the team a mid table team (on paper) and i was attacked for it...nonsense i was talking, talking rubbish, hyperbole. The reality is our team is in dire straights....can we turn it about and finish top 4? Perhaps yes, being lucky. But the fact not one United fan expects us to mount a league challenge says it all.

We are Manchester United for f*ck sake! The mediocrity levels that some fans accept is astounding, but the match going fans want this club run as it deserves. And while our fans can be idiots at times, thers f*ck loads of very knowledgeable people whove been watching the club for years and years and know what a man utd team should look like.

Yesterday was not a man united team and it created one of the strangest and subdued atmospheres ive ever seen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement