Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

"The mood around the ground wasn't good yesterday"

"You can't say that, have you signed statements from every fan saying they were unhappy, you don't know it wasn't all just your imagination, everything is fine, lalalalalalal..."

*slow clap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Another day, and united seemingly no closer to bringing in the quality players needed. Be atria looks to be going to bayern just 3 days after they decided they needed to buy a cb. Vidal still a juve player. Blind saying no club has come in for him and rojo to speak on sporting TV tonight, can't imagine that will be a public transfer request. Absolutely pathetic from united this summer. Again.

Your spot on. Have been spot on in the last few transfer windows now.

Do you think utd can even entice these players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Trilla wrote: »
    Will you post on here tomorrow and go "Another day"......."Absolutely pathetic from united this summer. Again"

The doom and gloom is enough without stating the obvious lads! We should have a doom and gloom repeating post ban in this thread haha :p:)

Things simply aren't hunky dory at United, so its hard to discuss United without discussing the incredibly obvious problems that we have.

Not talking about our problems would be like having a chat about the wallpaper when theres a bloody big hole in the roof and its raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Homer and Mitch get so cranky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, after watching the other games, Liverpool, Arsenal and City haven't been that impressive, and Spurs weren't meant to have been either (didn't see them though).

With a bit less luck, all of them could have failed to pick up a win this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Will you post on here tomorrow and go "Another day"......."Absolutely pathetic from united this summer. Again"

The doom and gloom is enough without stating the obvious lads! We should have a doom and gloom repeating post ban in this thread haha :p:)

its a bit ironic that you have a go at a poster for repeating things, yet you have a very annoying habbit of doing exactly the same especially when it comes to "moaning about moaning" as has become the trend for the summer.
    So this thread lately Some posters insist on moaning and ranting and saying we're fooked, over and over again
    its rant.ie or moan.ie for them a lot of the time, not boards.ie[
    annoying frequent face palming fist clenching situations

oh and i noticed this little gem just now....
    Think I might buy some of the fancy flavoured popcorn for when Homer gets back posting on this thread after todays game. Ya know the ones...you get them in tesco.

and oh ya, while you are at it, i thought you said you were "out" of this thread yet your posting 3 days later.
    I'm out
    Enjoy the thread lads... roll on September 2nd or whenever the deadline closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Does anyone have a list of all the players united tried to sign this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Without being inside the hierarchy of the club this is impossible to answer ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

No one knows who we actually tried to sign. We've been linked to scores of players, but doesn't mean we tried to sign them.

It's bizarre really. Stefan Di vrij is one player that puzzles me. Good talent, VG trusts him, young, can play as part of a defensive three.
    He went to Lazio for 6.5 million. We never made a move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, after watching the other games, Liverpool, Arsenal and City haven't been that impressive, and Spurs weren't meant to have been either (didn't see them though).

The problem is when these teams don't play well they still manage to ride it out and get the 3 points, whereas when we don't play well we tend to lose.

This is something that we used to have in abundance which has completely disappeared, and I wouldn't put it down to luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

No one knows who we actually tried to sign. We've been linked to scores of players, but doesn't mean we tried to sign them.

It's bizarre really. Stefan Di vrij is one player that puzzles me. Good talent, VG trusts him, young, can play as part of a defensive three.

For me this is the strangest one of our summer, we could have got a player that thrives in the new system we are introducing and for modern day 'peanuts'

Not only is he a fine player but he could have guided the others as to the finer points of playing in a LVG back 3....

Out of all the targets we missed this one is the most puzzeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How can a club like Manchester United start the season without being able to secure even one target. Mind boggling to say the least. Ok if the lack of CL football is an issue for some players we need to cut our cloth to suit our measure and move onto other targets who can do a job and at least fill the gaps so we have a squad that can re-establish itself in the top 4. We have zero chance at all of being anywhere near a title run in and as it stands now I don't think we will make the top four unless action is taken fast to recruit some serious talent.

The fact that there is two weeks to go in the transfer window isn't any comfort at all. It all should have been sorted by now there are no excuses. After the failure of last season a club of the stature of United and for all the bull and bluster coming from Woodward about big signings and how they would happily spend 70 million on a player if they wanted to.. we should rightfully expect that the squad is at least in some sort of shape going into the season to make a charge for CL football. Something is starting to smell awful funny about Woodward and the top brass.

For me this is the strangest one of our summer, we could have got a player that thrives in the new system we are introducing and for modern day 'peanuts'

Not only is he a fine player but he could have guided the others as to the finer points of playing in a LVG back 3....

Out of all the targets we missed this one is the most puzzeling

Exactly. It was very puzzling indeed. You know, I've been playing and watching football my entire life. Watching English football religiously for 30 years, and almost always when a new manager comes to a club he brings maybe 3 or 4 of HIS players within the first window.
    It didn't happen with moyes. It didn't happen with LVG. Anyone else find this strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

A 32 year old. Great. Really shows us the level the club is at at the minute. I think they have the ambition and the money to sign big players, but sadly it seems united is not an appealing prospect for the big players anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Yep, I said the exact same yesterday after the match, he's comfortable on the ball and fits the VG system well, baffling really how we didn't snap him up.

5 or 6 years ago yes... Now no thanks, lost his pace and doesn't have the ability to read the game well enough to compensate in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Strumms wrote: »
    How can a club like Manchester United start the season without being able to secure even one target.

Well they did sign 2 targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

2 targets signed, but more players left. Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs. All no longer playing since last season. Our squad is considerably weaker than last seasons. As things stand we'll be very lucky to finish 5th or 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

titan18 wrote: »

All their squads are much stronger than ours. City have an embarrassment of riches. We can't rely on luck to get us into the top 4.

• Advertisement

True in a sence but the Herrera deal had been in place for quite a while and indeed Shaw was a Moyes signing too all be it given the green light by LVG.

Even though they were past their best you can't help think how great it would be to still have Vidic and Evra available

maybe the glazers are gearing up to sell the club. Getting in as many commercial deals as possible and only spending the minimum to keep the wheels on the track.
    Probably totally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

oh and i noticed this little gem just now....

I never got that popcorn, changed my mind. Went for a bag of munchies instead. Why is it a little gem though?
    and oh ya, while you are at it, i thought you said you were "out" of this thread yet your posting 3 days later.

Guess what, I changed my mind! Missed moaning about the moaners. Imagine if I pulled them up every time :o I realize the error of my ways and will do it less frequently now. Wish others would do the same

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91285175&postcount=7944

Also, why did you quote this "annoying frequent face palming fist clenching situation" from the post above???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

OK maybe Jim White is reliable then......

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 1m

Bayern technical director Reschke has denied being in Rome today. Via @SZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Strumms wrote: »
    How can a club like Manchester United start the season without being able to secure even one target. Mind boggling to say the least. Ok if the lack of CL football is an issue for some players we need to cut our cloth to suit our measure and move onto other targets who can do a job and at least fill the gaps so we have a squad that can re-establish itself in the top 4. We have zero chance at all of being anywhere near a title run in and as it stands now I don't think we will make the top four unless action is taken fast to recruit some serious talent.

The fact that there is two weeks to go in the transfer window isn't any comfort at all. It all should have been sorted by now there are no excuses. After the failure of last season a club of the stature of United and for all the bull and bluster coming from Woodward about big signings and how they would happily spend 70 million on a player if they wanted to.. we should rightfully expect that the squad is at least in some sort of shape going into the season to make a charge for CL football. Something is starting to smell awful funny about Woodward and the top brass.

Edit:

Forget it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly. It was very puzzling indeed. You know, I've been playing and watching football my entire life. Watching English football religiously for 30 years, and almost always when a new manager comes to a club he brings maybe 3 or 4 of HIS players within the first window.
    It didn't happen with moyes. It didn't happen with LVG. Anyone else find this strange?

Maybe not 3 or 4 but certainly 1 or 2. Something is just not right at the club at the moment. Shaw and Herrera were woodie / club signings not LVG ones. We lost Rio, Vidic and Evra and had early injuries to Rafael and Carrick yet we didn't go for Devrij at 6.5m and are still sh**e hawking over Blind when we badly needed these two experienced international players.
    Is giggs the problem?? Has he not highlighted our defencies to LVG from the start being too loyal to the players we have or does LVG not trust Giggs assessment of the players??
    Reading Moyes bit n da mail and you would have to feel sorry for him. Something stinks at the club right now and I'm beginning to think its back to the Glazers and greed. They want to take it all in and spend f*ck all imo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

1) I agree if it was moyes yesterday swapping Herrera for Fellani, he'd have been roundly criticised. mind you I thought Herrera was pretty anonymous and lightweight yesterday

2) This Utd team, and frankly including last year AND fergies last year, is far too pedestrian and deliberate. The team needs pace, and not just fast running players, but pace in the directness of attack. Tom cleverly does NOT add to the attack, he, like carrick first instinct is to look across, not forward, or at least they more often see a side pass than a forward one. This team goes across the back, up to midfield, across midfield, back to the backs etc.

I know that shaw looks like being overpaid for, but my hope for him is that he WILL result in moving the ball up the field quicker, he is a ball carrier out of the back.

But this stuff doesn't come from one or two players, it comes from having a number of players for whom that is the instinct, and then training in that way. Januzai has this in spades, but he can only do so much, and it appears to me that he is starting to lose some of that instinct, as too often he doesn't see it in other players. And it wouldn't be the first time it's happened, Valenica this last 2 years, more time than enough, turns back instead of taking a player on. It wasn't always the case, so is it because he has lost it, or has it been taken out of his game ?

So our problems will not be resolved by only buying players to fill slots, we need to get back to a quick attack ethos, I think we are the most deliberate team in the league.

kryogen wrote: »
    Edit:

Forget it actually.

Awhh come on.. Share :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

According to a tweet released in the last hour Marcos Rojo is to make a statement to Sporting Lisbon fans at 9.30pm this evening apologising for his actions. It does not disclose what else he will say but I would be confident that it will be along the lines of thanking them for their support and that now is the time for a fresh challenge and an opportunity he cannot turn down etc etc. I reckon this deal will be completed by the end of the week. I also think that LVG will sign Benatia and possibly a marquee signing like Di Maria or Vidal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9427242/transfer-news-manchester-united-continue-pursuit-of-marcos-rojo

• Advertisement

Tangey99 wrote: »
    1) I agree if it was moyes yesterday swapping Herrera for Fellani, he'd have been roundly criticised. mind you I thought Herrera was pretty anonymous and lightweight yesterday

2) This Utd team, and frankly including last year AND fergies last year, is far too pedestrian and deliberate. The team needs pace, and not just fast running players, but pace in the directness of attack. Tom cleverly does NOT add to the attack, he, like carrick first instinct is to look across, not forward, or at least they more often see a side pass than a forward one. This team goes across the back, up to midfield, across midfield, back to the backs etc.

I know that shaw looks like being overpaid for, but my hope for him is that he WILL result in moving the ball up the field quicker, he is a ball carrier out of the back.

But this stuff doesn't come from one or two players, it comes from having a number of players for whom that is the instinct, and then training in that way. Januzai has this in spades, but he can only do so much, and it appears to me that he is starting to lose some of that instinct, as too often he doesn't see it in other players. And it wouldn't be the first time it's happened, Valenica this last 2 years, more time than enough, turns back instead of taking a player on. It wasn't always the case, so is it because he has lost it, or has it been taken out of his game ?

So our problems will not be resolved by only buying players to fill slots, we need to get back to a quick attack ethos, I think we are the most deliberate team in the league.

I agree especially about the lack of pace. What used to excite me about watching United was the wingers and full backs running at the opposition and putting the fear of god into them. We lack that. Di Maria would make perfect sense. I'd prefer a return to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or a variation of either. Get some width back into the team. Ok we don't have great pace but neither do we have any great creativity in the middle of the park. We looked more dangerous with Nani and Januzaj providing width in the second half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

According to Sky we're still in for Rojo for £16m, but they want a player on loan as well, but if that falls through we'll go for Stuttgart’s Antonio Rudiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

According to Sky we're still in for Rojo for £16m, but they want a player on loan as well, but if that falls through we'll go for Stuttgart’s Antonio Rudiger.

Fine Anderson it is then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

they can take any player they fancy except for a few obvious ones imo. its not an unreasonable demand

is anderson dead btw i havent heard a peep about him since he returned from loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ronaldo is a legend, challenged j lo and Beyoncé to the ice bucket challenge.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Whilst I could never agree with most of Mitch's comments I do suspect that Woodward might not be very "streetwise" regarding transfers. He has very little experience & he comes from a business background where everything is straight & above ground. I also suspect that the Glaziers don't like the idea of any shady dealings.

Hopefully he will of learned from the Mata episode & has appointed experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well some serious meltdowns after yesterday.

Post WC....no RVP...Van Gaal only getting his feet under the desk....

I wouldn't freakout after one match....and I wouldn't be surprised at another one or two surprise results. I think we need to realise we shouldn't expect wins for a while until things settle.

I'm hoping after the window closes and a few competitive games under the belt things can get a bit more settled.

NTMK wrote: »
    they can take any player they fancy except for a few obvious ones imo. its not an unreasonable demand

is anderson dead btw i havent heard a peep about him since he returned from loan?
    I read an article which said he was training separately for the 1st time and their just waiting for a buyer to come in for him. I think LVG will revert back to a 442 formation. He only used it during the World cup because he had limited players at the back. If we were to get Di Maria, Rojo and Benatia in the next couple of week this is how we should line up when everyone is fit. I think Vidal would be a better signing then Di Maria but I think Di Maria is more gettable.

De Gea

Rafael Jones Evans Shaw

Di Maria Herrera Mata Januzai

Rooney Van Persie

Mata would play a more advanced forward role with Herrera acting as a linkman between defence and midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well some serious meltdowns after yesterday.

Post WC....no RVP...Van Gaal only getting his feet under the desk....

I wouldn't freakout after one match....and I wouldn't be surprised at another one or two surprise results. I think we need to realise we shouldn't expect wins for a while until things settle.

I'm hoping after the window closes and a few competitive games under the belt things can get a bit more settled.

I'm just hoping we don't lose to cannon fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's funny cause everyone actually has the same opinion on all the problems with the squad.

But we all differ on who is to blame and how we express it.

billyhead wrote: »
    I read an article which said he was training separately for the 1st time and their just waiting for a buyer to come in for him. I think LVG will revert back to a 442 formation. He only used it during the World cup because he had limited players at the back. If we were to get Di Maria, Rojo and Benatia in the next couple of week this is how we should line up when everyone is fit. I think Vidal would be a better signing then Di Maria but I think Di Maria is more gettable.

De Gea

Rafael Jones Evans Shaw

Di Maria Herrera Mata Januzai

Rooney Van Persie

Mata would play a more advanced forward role with Herrera acting as a linkman between defence and midfield.

That midfield would get utterly destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

"The mood around the ground wasn't good yesterday"

"You can't say that, have you signed statements from every fan saying they were unhappy, you don't know it wasn't all just your imagination, everything is fine, lalalalalalal..."

If that was all Homer said nobody would have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

This is the first time in my life watching Man Utd that I would have little problem with any outfield player leaving the club (and being replaced obviously). I've always had at least one favourite player in each of the many teams that I've watched be it Irwin, Sharpe, Stam or Bartez (He played outfield in a pre-season friendly!) but this team, which is essentially last seasons team, is starting to whiff of apathy as regards to playing for Utd and that makes me feel kind of disenfranchised. Last season was tough to witness and sobering to boot but I watched more games last year than any other and that of our relative rivals at the time and the one thing I noticed in the games was the lack of heart and will to lead by example, Roy Keane berating his fellow team-mates for below par perfomances, Cantona with his arm in a cast scoring a winning goal or even Stam vs Zamorano in the champions league. These moments fuelled the fire that kept me wanting more after each game, icons representing my team giving me moments I'll never forget and they are getting more precious by the game. Last season I was biting my nails watching that clown Charlie Adam lord it over us in a 2-1 win for Stoke and I just thought this was a new low. Now my head is frazzled by a summer of inactivity in the transfer market and a rubbish first game of the season. I guess I'll have to acclimatise or I'll have to go to therapy......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Twitter itk's reporting the Rojo deal is done so it'll be interesting to see what's said later in this interview.

If we could loan/sell them Anderson It'd be a great 2 birds with 1 stone deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I think sporting would be a super move for Wilson, Powell, Lingard and possibly even Blackett depending on what van gaals plans are for each

That midfield would get utterly destroyed.

Ok Switch Carrick with Mata to tighten things up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

We're a rabble and a shambles.

One has to ask whether Van Gaal's time as an international manager means that he's not up to speed on transfer targets.

Yesterday was shameful and Van Gaal's "24 hour" comments were naive in the extreme.

Let's hope that this guy isn't actually worse than Moyes. He was sacked by Bayern and failed spectacularly with Holland during the 2002 World Cup qualification series.

Is Van Gaal doesn't think that we need at least three players, he's a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i wasnt too fussed about the Di Maria deal until yesterday but ive changed my mind - we really need pace and width and perhaps he is the ideal player for solving that problem - the money needed to sign him may not be available considering the other problems we also have.

the problem is, that if we keep that 5-3-2 formation, there is no room for Mata or Rooney in it if we were to sign him. i guess it would shift to 4-3-3 but again, it would see one of our big 4
    benched.

either way, we need signings and we need them urgently. yesterday result means nothing as such (apart from my views on Di Maria), it doesnt change anything that wasnt a problem on Friday. likewise keeping this squad and winning every game until October would change anything either - the quality for Mancheter United standards just is not there.

as such, i wouldnt have that much of a problem with Rafael Evans Smalling/Jones Shaw as a back 4....but that defence in a back 3 gives me nightmares and we need one top class center half in there - Blackett should in theory be able to cover at CB and LB if needed giving us 8 options in there when you add Keane in.

right now i think our major problems in terms of priority are -
    one top class center back
    Center Midfield partner for herrera
    top class winger.

realitically though, between and the start of next season we need 5 or more players at top level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

hogandrew wrote: »
    I think sporting would be a super move for Wilson, Powell, Lingard and possibly even Blackett depending on what van gaals plans are for each

I am not so sure, the new president seems to be a header and it could be a mad shop this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ladyman has his say..
    Ian Ladyman ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 3m
    Benatia and Mexes links wide of mark for #MUFC, so I'm told. Rojo and Di Maria interest still alive. The wait goes on...

Are people really expecting a player to announce he's signing for Manchester United later? Seriously???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement