Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I am not so sure, the new president seems to be a header and it could be a mad shop this season.

Can't say I know anything about their owners or backroom staff. It is a reasonable league however and their coaches are always technically very good. There could also be an option to call them back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That midfield would get utterly destroyed.

I think a 4-3-3 with Mata, Kagawa and Herrera should be tried because the lack of effective use of possession is really holding the team back and these are the best at it at the club. Until Evans gets back, Smalling should be dropped for Blackett and Jones. Get Raf back at RB and get Rojo in this week to play LB. Actually, should just play Blackett at LB thinking about it.

Yesterday was purely a mistake from LVG. It grates much more after I think he played it perfect throughout preseason but got to clever for his own good. James should have started or at least come on instead of Januzaj. He did well and I was happy to see him but to bring on Nani after shunning him a lot in preseason is very confusing and Fellaini coming on for the only creative CM that's there with a game to be won. Very exasperated more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

GSPfan wrote: »
    Twitter itk's reporting the Rojo deal is done so it'll be interesting to see what's said later in this interview.

If we could loan/sell them Anderson It'd be a great 2 birds with 1 stone deal.

Maybe they could have nani and see if he could come good again. He looked lost yesterday when he came on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Robson99 wrote: »
    Maybe not 3 or 4 but certainly 1 or 2. Something is just not right at the club at the moment. Shaw and Herrera were woodie / club signings not LVG ones. We lost Rio, Vidic and Evra and had early injuries to Rafael and Carrick yet we didn't go for Devrij at 6.5m and are still sh**e hawking over Blind when we badly needed these two experienced international players.
    Is giggs the problem?? Has he not highlighted our defencies to LVG from the start being too loyal to the players we have or does LVG not trust Giggs assessment of the players??
    Reading Moyes bit n da mail and you would have to feel sorry for him. Something stinks at the club right now and I'm beginning to think its back to the Glazers and greed. They want to take it all in and spend f*ck all imo

I have major reservations about Giggs being involved, to be honest. I've voiced them here before and got attacked for it. And I get called a conspiracy theorist for a certain belief that I have.
    On Giggs, I'll just say this, if I was manager I wouldn't want someone who is after my job and is mates with lots of the players as part of my immediate staff.

listen, it appears Tom Cleverley is getting a new contract. Something stinks with that. Who is the one giving the green light for such a contract? The lad had been dirt for two years. Had a rubbish pre-season. So how does he get a new deal?
    Is LVG really sanctioning that? Honest question to everyone: who is giving this lad a new deal?
    LVG? Woodward?

Fergie...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

twinex wrote: »
    I noticed in the games was the lack of heart and will to lead by example, Roy Keane berating his fellow team-mates for below par perfomances, Cantona with his arm in a cast scoring a winning goal or even Stam vs Zamorano in the champions league.

+1 on this the only real leaders in the squad imo are Evans and Rafa and neither of them can stay fit.

Rooney showed nothing yesterday that would have you believe he's club captain.

We absolutely need someone like Strootman to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Maybe they could have nani and see if he could come good again. He looked lost yesterday when he came on

to be fair, 12 of the 14 players on the pitch yesterday played well below the level required for our club so i wouldnt single out Nani. funnily enough, i thought our best two players were the 2 youngest on the pitch tho Adnan was very hit and miss. he was very frustrating at times and got an earfull off Rooney on several occasions, but he ignored him every time. he is very Raw but of course is very young and could grow out of it.

he also gave away the ball for the move that started the goal, though being fair to him Jones, Smalling, young and Blackett all made f*ck ups so that was 5, if not 6 mistakes that were made for one goal.

havent seen any replays of the game and i didnt get a proper look at the goal, but could De gea have dont better for it?

Are people really expecting a player to announce he's signing for Manchester United later? Seriously???

I'm expecting the lad to give a televised groveling apology. Probably his club forcing him to do it so that they'll release him.

A rotten situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm Nani's biggest critic but he got stuck in yesterday i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ronaldo is a legend, challenged j lo and Beyoncé to the ice bucket challenge.

Brilliant.

The Ice bucket challenge will be hitting posters in this thread soon :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Ladyman has his say..

I refuse to believe a ladyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Been out all day today. What did I miss (transfer news, quotes from players, team news, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

havent seen any replays of the game and i didnt get a proper look at the goal, but could De gea have dont better for it?

I wouldn't say so, there was a few players in his way and it was hit with a fair bit of pace from quite close in. He could have kept it out but it would have been luck more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ladyman has his say..

"Interest."

It's August 17th and apparently we're only at the interest stage. At least we're past the monitoring stage. Who knows, maybe in another 6-8 months we might actually prepare a bid or make an enquiry.

Indykaila says Benatia to Bayern is a done deal, Sky say hes off to United. Its Jim White vs an ITK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Interest."

It's August 17th and apparently we're only at the interest stage. At least we're past the monitoring stage. Who knows, maybe in another 6-8 months we might actually prepare a bid or make an enquiry.

Only 6-8 months!!! I'd say at least 2-3 more transfer windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Indykaila says Benatia to Bayern is a done deal, Sky say hes off to United. Its Jim White vs an ITK

He's coming to us then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes beause but laughing at the rubbish you posted, and it was rubbish, means Pro F is trying to say everything is fine :rolleyes:

Thats some great logic youve got going there

You were calling other fans outside the Stretford end muppets before, you were banging on with some other condescending crap about being a better fan because you go to more matches and others could afford it if they were more dedicated or something equaly stupid in that vein before.

We ofter hear about how you and the good ol'boys in the stretty are loyal and clapped Moyes all the way and other stories about being asked to leave the stretty when you failed to appreciate Vidics loyalty.

Now your Derek Acorah. Its all in your head and its an see thorugh agenda.

Often you try to come accross as some sort of real voice of the fans or senior all knowing supporter on here and its cringe worthy.

The only impression I get from those posts you make is that the Stretty is packed with pathetic knuckle dragging middle aged men who use football for a gang mentality because they are that sad.

Youve just defined your standard (75 odd percent) regular match going fan at pretty much any club in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have major reservations about Giggs being involved, to be honest. I've voiced them here before and got attacked for it. And I get called a conspiracy theorist for a certain belief that I have.
    On Giggs, I'll just say this, if I was manager I wouldn't want someone who is after my job and is mates with lots of the players as part of my immediate staff.

listen, it appears Tom Cleverley is getting a new contract. Something stinks with that. Who is the one giving the green light for such a contract? The lad had been dirt for two years. Had a rubbish pre-season. So how does he get a new deal?
    Is LVG really sanctioning that? Honest question to everyone: who is giving this lad a new deal?
    LVG? Woodward?

Fergie...?

True. No doubt about it Giggs was a fantastic player and servant for Man Utd and will go down as one of our greatest but he should have walked away after last season and tried a managerial job somewhere else to gain his stripes. Last season aswell he was too matey with the players who were rubbish and as far as I am aware he was one of the pivotal figures in the behind the scenes uprising to get rid of Moyes. Rio was the other senior player. He stabbed Moyes in the back (nasty piece of work)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jesus has no tears left now lads :p

This thread has become everything we used to laugh at. I am laughing now at some of the mad theories.

At least it will be closed soon.

United need some new, better players, Van Gaal agrees, he needs time to get his systems and ideas to work. Senior staff like Woodward need to step it up and get what he needs and wants.

I want a new thread, this one is broken...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

How good is Benatia?

I haven't seen enough of him.

• Advertisement

Jesus has no tears left now lads :p

This thread has become everything we used to laugh at. I am laughing now at some of the mad theories.

At least it will be closed soon.

United need some new, better players, Van Gaal agrees, he needs time to get his systems and ideas to work. Senior staff like Woodward need to step it us and get what he needs and wants.

I want a new thread, this one is broken...

United need some new, better players - yes, we all agree. The club has two weeks left to get them for this season.

Van Gaal agrees - he says so, but we're still not getting players in.

He needs time to get his systems and ideas to work - totally agree. he'll need months to do this.

Senior staff like Woodward need to step up - no sh*t. :pac:

Saw a list of the board of directors earlier. It's almost entirely populated with Glazers. There's like a dozen of them there. I wonder if this actually causes a problem? These people are blood suckers, they're family (argue over the colour of sh*te) and wouldn't know much about "soccer". Can't really see them being very decisive in terms of the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

How good is Benatia?

I haven't seen enough of him.

We'll see plenty of him soon on Tuesday/Wednesday nights for Bayern :pac:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I would think Bentia will be Bayern bound.

Blind and Rojo looks like our business. And I think we will wait until January and go after Strootman. Someone clever might put something in place in advance with Roma.

Something needs to happen in the next two weeks. For real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1.We're a rabble and a shambles.

2.One has to ask whether Van Gaal's time as an international manager means that he's not up to speed on transfer targets.

3.Yesterday was shameful and Van Gaal's "24 hour" comments were naive in the extreme.

4.Let's hope that this guy isn't actually worse than Moyes. He was sacked by Bayern and failed spectacularly with Holland during the 2002 World Cup qualification series.

5.Is Van Gaal doesn't think that we need at least three players, he's a fool.

1. No we're not.
    2. After asking, one should then slap oneself for asking stupid questions
    3. Yesterday was disappointing. LVG 24hour comment was accurate actually
    4. I can't be arsed responding to that ****e.
    5. Typo's in sentences insulting others intelligence makes for fun moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The Ice bucket challenge will be hitting posters in this thread soon :pac::pac:

I challenge the following posters to do it
    Bangkok
    Larry Wildman
    Copper_pipe
    The_Kew_Tour
    Maximus Alexander
    MagicIRL

Does anyone have a list of all the players united tried to sign this summer?

Really hard to say for sure as their could be some players we went for that never made it to public spectrum.

Vermaelen - widely accepted we went for him, he chose Barcelona.
    Rojo - widely accepted we have bid for him - he probably will sign.

after that, nothing else is guaranteed to be correct though some links carry more weight than others.

Vidal - the link is there, i think he will sign (though who would blame him if he didnt)
    Di Maria - just paper talk at moment, nothing to confirm it.
    Benatia - just paper talk at moment, nothing to confirm it.

Kroos & Fabregas - press says LVG didnt want them - reality could be he didnt want us and we never went for him once LVG took over.

Headshot wrote: »
    You should all face it that we arent going to get any considerable players in now. Utd are a bit of a joke in transfer windows. .

this cannot be allowed to happen and it wont happen....while Moyes allowed it, LVG wont.

theres at least 2 signings coming, i refuse to belief that the club will allow this mess to continue, its gone too far now and heads will roll if the players dont come in.

A stage will come when we will have to throw serious money at a player (like Arsenal did with Ozil last year) and while ive always been opposed to overspending, im finally going to join those who dont have a problem with it, as we dont have a choice now. of course if its a Cavani for £50m it would be madness, but a Vidal or a Di Maria is needed.

as TSC said earlier, we are desperate now. the players need lifting, as do our fans.

LVG? Woodward?

Fergie...?

Woodward will be giving him the new deal, acting on behalf of the club, sanctioned by Louis Van Gaal.

Why? Few reasons I suppose, if you do want to sell him next year or whatever it makes sense to have him on a longer contract to maximise value, he is handy to have for the homegrown requirements, he is happy to be a squad player and should actually be ok to come in a do a job now and then.

United need some new, better players - yes, we all agree. The club has two weeks left to get them for this season.

Van Gaal agrees - he says so, but we're still not getting players in.

He needs time to get his systems and ideas to work - totally agree. he'll need months to do this.

Senior staff like Woodward need to step up - no sh*t. :pac:

Saw a list of the board of directors earlier. It's almost entirely populated with Glazers. There's like a dozen of them there. I wonder if this actually causes a problem? These people are blood suckers, they're family (argue over the colour of sh*te) and wouldn't know much about "soccer". Can't really see them being very decisive in terms of the transfer market.

I agree. The glazers are ruining this club. Look at the transactions on the transfer market since they took over the ownership. A massive decline in quality and don't say that Mata was a great buy. He has yet to prove his worth. Hes been as useful as a handbreak on a canoe so far. We need to put down a marker on the transfer market and sign world class players starting with Vidal or Di Maria to stop the rot. Were going backwards not forwards.
    Players we've lost since 2009:
    van der Sar
    Neville
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Ferdinand
    Brown
    Ronaldo
    Saha
    Berbatov
    Giggs
    Vidic
    Scholes
    O'Shea
    Silvestre
    Pogba
    Tevez
    And obviously SAF

Players we've bought since 2009:
    Valencia
    Owen
    Obertan
    Smalling
    Hernandez
    Bebe
    Lindegaard
    Jones
    Young
    De Gea
    Kagawa
    Powell
    van Persie
    Buttner
    Zaha
    Fellaini
    Mata
    Shaw
    Herrera

there were also stories doing the rounds a few months back that some members of the family wanted out, while others didn't. Would a conflict of this sort affect the club? You know, a transfer is proposed, most give the green light, but a handful who want the club sold, deliberately veto the transfer just to be awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would strongly believe the club are trying for Di Maria. Daniel Taylor, Ladyman and someone from the BBC have all said it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

kryogen wrote: »
    1. No we're not.
    2. After asking, one should then slap oneself for asking stupid questions
    3. Yesterday was disappointing. LVG 24hour comment was accurate actually
    4. I can't be arsed responding to that ****e.
    5. Typo's in sentences insulting others intelligence makes for fun moments.

- We are a shambles actually

- So your contention is that international manager stay as up to speed with club football as club managers? Right...

- You agree that "it takes 24 hours to sign a player"? Past experience with United and transfers would suggest otherwise.

- You choose to ignore the fact that Van Gaal was sacked...interesting.

- Grammar Nazism? How interesting...

- We are a shambles actually

- So your contention is that international manager stay as up to speed with club football as club managers? Right...

- You agree that "it takes 24 hours to sign a player"? Past experience with United and transfers would suggest otherwise.

- You choose to ignore the fact that Van Gaal was sacked...interesting.

- Grammar Nazism? How interesting...

- No we are not

- That doesn't need to be my contention for you to be incorrect

- yes, a player can be signed in 24 hours. Shock. Horror.

- I choose not to my eyes bleed trying to word a response that would not result in being infracted. Mundane.

- Only when the irony is strong.

Woodward will be giving him the new deal, acting on behalf of the club, sanctioned by Louis Van Gaal.

Why? Few reasons I suppose, if you do want to sell him next year or whatever it makes sense to have him on a longer contract to maximise value, he is handy to have for the homegrown requirements, he is happy to be a squad player and should actually be ok to come in a do a job now and then.

In fairness, that's a good response.

brinty wrote: »
    I challenge the following posters to do it
    Bangkok
    Larry Wildman
    Copper_pipe
    The_Kew_Tour
    Maximus Alexander
    MagicIRL

Heres my one

LZAOWAJ.png
    LZAOWAJ

In fairness, that's a good response.

Hey I am certainly no fan of his, but since he is there, and given the options we have right now I can understand him getting a new contract. Has it been confirmed? I was more put out by Valencia getting a new deal tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Blatter wrote: »
    Would strongly believe the club are trying for Di Maria. Daniel Taylor, Ladyman and someone from the BBC have all said it.

Tis be a mad signing say I

Great player but like most transfer windows we dont need this kind of player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

We do need that type of player but its not a priority. Should be going balls out for a cm and cb's, then sort out the wide positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pace up front would be nice, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

billyhead wrote: »
    I agree. The glazers are ruining this club. Look at the transactions on the transfer market since they took over the ownership. A massive decline in quality and don't say that Mata was a great buy. He has yet to prove his worth. Hes been as useful as a handbreak on a canoe so far. We need to put down a marker on the transfer market and sign world class players starting with Vidal or Di Maria to stop the rot. Were going backwards not forwards.
    Players we've lost since 2009

Your list only includes Ronaldo as a player who didn't retire, was out of contract or was sold for decent money. Then the list of players coming in show a high amount of money was spent.

It seems people will keep blaming the Glazers as if they don't allow money to be spent or they chose who to buy. They have allowed money to be spent and its certainly a case of the players fans wanting (retrospectively) not arriving rather than them not backing the manager(s).

Whatever restrictions exist on spending have not caused the loss to Swansea or last seasons mess. It may be why United don't have a squad like Real but its not why United were not in the top four last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Direct, pacy, a great out ball - yeah, we need a player like that

BvQ2h-cCcAAy1ZM.jpg

Hey I am certainly no fan of his, but since he is there, and given the options we have right now I can understand him getting a new contract. Has it been confirmed? I was more put out by Valencia getting a new deal tbh

Not confirmed, but it doesn't really strike me a story that tabloids would invent to get hits. It's a bit out of leftfield if it is just BS.

I'm with you on the Valencia deal. I crushed a paper cup when I heard about that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pace up front would be nice, no?

Ya I wont give out if we sign him far from it but the club should be doing everything in its power to get a CM and defensive cover.

Di Maria is not a miracle worker. We need a good spine to go along with the great attack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Howard Nurse from BBC retweeting "Benatia to Bayern, not #MUFC" - almost always on the ball ... onwards and upwards I suppose :rolleyes:

there were also stories doing the rounds a few months back that some members of the family wanted out, while others didn't. Would a conflict of this sort affect the club? You know, a transfer is proposed, most give the green light, but a handful who want the club sold, deliberately veto the transfer just to be awkward.

i dunno, we spending more money now than ever before - £27.5m on Fellaini, £37mon Mata, £56m on Shaw and Herrera, it appears there is some money left but so far that money is being wasted.

something is badly wrong but its impossible to see where. i dont think its the Glazers as such, i think our main problems this year are in no particular order -
    1. players dont want to sign for us due to no CL football.
    2. manchester is not an attractive place to live (without offering obscene wages of £150k/w +).
    3. we want to get rid of more players before signing more due to financial commitments for 2015 being hit by CL football.
    4. our CE does not have the necessary skills to close deals for big players.
    5. LVG may not necessarily have wanted to sign the players we'd lined up and majority of work already done for so we had to start all over again apart from Shaw and Herrera.
    6. a fundemantal mentality change that we can no longer rely on young players, has not yet happened.
    7. our scouting network still is not at the level it should be
    8. we left it too late to start working on deals and now clubs dont want to sell to us as they dont have time to get replacement in.
    9. the club blames Moyes for last summer and thinks theres not much more investment needed.
    10. we planned the summer really badly and have f*cked it up...again
    11. agents are messing us about...again.

there could and i stress could, be something written into the addidas deal that big signings have to happen next year when that deal kicks in, to allow them get ROI on their £75million.

summary - i dont think the Glazers are a problem now, but they were for many years, along with Fergie signing the wrong players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

billyhead wrote: »
    Players we've lost since 2009:
    van der Sar
    Neville
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Ferdinand
    Brown
    Ronaldo
    Saha
    Berbatov
    Giggs
    Vidic
    Scholes
    O'Shea
    Silvestre
    Pogba
    Tevez
    And obviously SAF

Players we've bought since 2009:
    Valencia
    Owen
    Obertan
    Smalling
    Hernandez
    Bebe
    Lindegaard
    Jones
    Young
    De Gea
    Kagawa
    Powell
    van Persie
    Buttner
    Zaha
    Fellaini
    Mata
    Shaw
    Herrera

Mata scored 6 goals in 6 games in a struggling team at the end of last season. Whatever planet your canoe is on, it's not one where the word "useful" means the same as it does here on earth.

That list also does not indicate that the club has been going backwards. It indicates that a lot of money has been spent and that a good number of quality players have been bought.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Howard Nurse from BBC retweeting "Benatia to Bayern, not #MUFC" - almost always on the ball ... onwards and upwards I suppose :rolleyes:

LVG was thinking about his time at Bayern when he said we can sign a player in 24 hours.

Your list only includes Ronaldo as a player who didn't retire, was out of contract or was sold for decent money. Then the list of players coming in that you show a high amount of money was spent.

It seems people will keep blaming the Glazers as if they don't allow money to be spent or they chose who to buy. They have allowed money to be spend and its certainly a case of the players fans wanting (retrospectively) not arriving rather than them not backing the manager(s).

Whatever restrictions exist on spending have not caused the loss to Swansea or last seasons mess. It may be why United don't have a squad like Real but its not why United were not in the top four last season.

The point is when have we actually gone out and spend big on a player that was coveted around Europe by other top teams such as Madrid, Barca and Bayern. The last one I can remember was Veron but what was that nearly 13 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

We are forever buying players in other areas that we do not particularly need. Dimaria would be a great addition but defence and midfield need to take priority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

LVG was thinking about his time at Bayern when he said we can sign a player in 24 hours.
    Yep - its getting a bit depressing from a footballing point of view... next match can't come soon enough and truth behold I can't wait for the transfer window to close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement