Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

irishfeen wrote: »
    Howard Nurse from BBC retweeting "Benatia to Bayern, not #MUFC" - almost always on the ball ... onwards and upwards I suppose :rolleyes:

Despite what's said on the tweet he retweeted, Bild are not reliable. They are a rag like the Sun. Now I'm not saying he won't join Bayern, but the did deny the story earlier.

Raphael HonigsteinVerified account ‏@honigstein

Bayern technical director Reschke has denied being in Rome today. Via @SZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It just infuriating that we are so ****ing woeful in the transfer window. Just took what Bayern 3 days at least sign Benatia

Just so ****ing annoying. One of the richest clubs in the world means **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Despite what's said on the tweet he retweeted, Bild are not reliable. They are a rag like the Sun. Now I'm not saying he won't join Bayern, but the did deny the story earlier.
    If it was anyone else I would tend to agree but when Nurse is retweeting I think its almost certain as he might have the same info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think people aren't giving enough credence to the fact that the Glazer family hold the purse strings and that second guessing Woodward or LVG is pointless.

By my rough calculations the Glazers have spent 140 million or so in the last calendar year.

They won't go mad till they're sure what they've got with Moyes and Woodward.

Two 30 million players in a window is not bad - a third would be about the limit IMO.

I think LVG probably needs to prove he's the man for the job. That squad is good enough to break the top 4 with a good manager.

Headshot wrote: »
    It just infuriating that we are so ****ing woeful in the transfer window. Just took what Bayern 3 days at least sign Benatia

I get the feeling your not impressed lad? .. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheTownie wrote: »
    LVG was thinking about his time at Bayern when he said we can sign a player in 24 hours.

14th August - Javi Martinez gets a season long injury.
    16th August - Pep says "we need a new signing at CB".
    17th August - benatia to bayern gains pace.

if it happens, it would put us to shame as it shows how quickly other clubs can go from not needing a player to needing one to signing one...HOWEVER, the Howard Nurse thing is based off the Bild article and nothing else. he just said they are normally reliable so at the moment its Jim White V Bild - nothing else to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

billyhead wrote: »
    The point is when have we actually gone out and spend big on a player that was coveted around Europe by other top teams such as Madrid, Barca and Bayern. The last one I can remember was Veron but what was that nearly 13 years ago.

Van Persie, De Gea, Mata and Shaw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bayern, Barca, Real. We wouldn't be able to compete with them even if we were in the CL. Players prefer to go to those clubs rather than Utd and have done for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Awful feeling of deja vu like last year all over again. Unless business happens this United side are gonna really struggle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

regardless of what we need,everyone goes on about ambition at the club regards signings,if di maria can be got just take him,madrid have Ronaldo and bale they buy rodriguez,barca have neymar and messi the buy suarez,lets just buy di maria if he can be got.

its all relevant,if di maria is pulling the Swansea left back apart,it means our right back is being left the **** alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The point is when have we actually gone out and spend big on a player that was coveted around Europe by other top teams such as Madrid, Barca and Bayern. The last one I can remember was Veron but what was that nearly 13 years ago.

Who was there before Seba?

gosplan wrote: »
    I think people aren't giving enough credence to the fact that the Glazer family hold the purse strings and that second guessing Woodward or LVG is pointless.

By my rough calculations the Glazers have spent 140 million or so in the last calendar year.

They won't go mad till they're sure what they've got with Moyes and Woodward.

Two 30 million players in a window is not bad - a third would be about the limit IMO.

I think LVG probably needs to prove he's the man for the job. That squad is good enough to break the top 4 with a good manager.
    I would totally agree that our best injury free first team should be good enough for CL positions but injury's are going to kill us big big time - even loosing two or three means we are a much weaker team.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Van Persie, De Gea, Mata and Shaw.

Is Shaw really coveted around Europe though? Certainly is in pl but Europe meh

Awful feeling of deja vu like last year all over again. Unless business happens this United side are gonna really struggle :(
    Its worst up to this point IMO..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

We're going to end up with Ron Vlaar at 11.59pm deadline day aren't we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

gosplan wrote: »

As I said earlier though, it's not just the lack of a(nother) 30M signing.

We also need a few £5-10M signings to bulk up the squad. De Vrij going to Lazio for £6.5M for example.

Its worst up to this point IMO..

Remember all the rebuilding talk and shipping x y z players out etc load of **** tbh

Tis be a mad signing say I

Great player but like most transfer windows we dont need this kind of player

If we're going to be using 4411 then he would make a lot of sense. Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani, Young, Zaha and Valencia is good quality and depth for the two wings.

If we buy Benatia then we're shaping up well for 3412 with him, Evans, Jones, Smalling and Blackett. Would probably still need to add one more cover CB to that.

If we're sticking with 3412, which buying Benatia would indicate, then I'd be worried that buying Di Maria just makes us even more overstocked in attacking options.

Is Chelsea not a top European team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

And what other clubs were in for Mata and RVP? Only City for RVP and no one else for Mata as a far as I know. Is Gary breen still playing. May aswell bid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

BvQ5vF0IcAAUitG.jpg

@sharpy0022
    @CheGiaevara I found it on a Sporting forum not sure what's it saying

@CheGiaevara
    @sharpy0022 That is a brilliant find. He's talking about how much he has enjoyed his time at Sporting etc.

Rojo back on? Alleged quotes...
    @OldTraffordBr

I thank Sporting and everyone who works at the club. When my career wasn't in the best moment, Sporting gave me the opportunity in a big European club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Being United, Hibs and Cork GAA fan was not much fun this weekend.

Just reflecting on yesterday there was a few small improvements from last season that I saw.

1. I liked our structure in pressing and aggression side yesterday, for periods anyway. Swansea did not have it there own way and we won the ball back better then last season when our pressure was pathetic and teams got to our half far too easy.

2. Blackett and Januzaj I thought played well. Blackett was stupid for free kick, but hopefully he will learn.

3. Phil Jones showed lot of bottle and 2 great tackles

4. Under Moyes if we went goal behind and scored we have a belter of period for 5 minutes after, but fall flat again for rest of game. I felt wekept up the pressure more consistent yesterday, but lacked a cutting edge(no cookies for that)

5. Also its not like as if Swansea had lot of chances. Fair play they took those they got, but it was not like last season where teams seemed to get 5-6 good opportunities and had we scored late on I dont think it have been harsh on Swansea.

Maybe im scraping a barrel here, and in no way am I making a excuse for defeat. It should not happen at home to relegation material.

But, with couple of signings and bit more work in training ground we may still get CL football again.

Remember all the rebuilding talk and shipping x y z players out etc load of **** tbh
    Loosing Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand without suitably replacing them for the start of the PL season is beyond belief altogether - absolutely unbelievable from one of the biggest clubs in the world... if this is not fixed before the window closes and we continue to drop points to lesser teams at will then I can see a massive backlash inside and out of OT from fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rojo back on?

Hes ours if no one else worth while wants him.

Thats how we tend to work these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i dunno, we spending more money now than ever before - £27.5m on Fellaini, £37mon Mata, £56m on Shaw and Herrera, it appears there is some money left but so far that money is being wasted.

something is badly wrong but its impossible to see where. i dont think its the Glazers as such, i think our main problems this year are in no particular order -
    1. players dont want to sign for us due to no CL football.
    2. manchester is not an attractive place to live (without offering obscene wages of £150k/w +).
    3. we want to get rid of more players before signing more due to financial commitments for 2015 being hit by CL football.
    4. our CE does not have the necessary skills to close deals for big players.
    5. LVG may not necessarily have wanted to sign the players we'd lined up and majority of work already done for so we had to start all over again apart from Shaw and Herrera.
    6. a fundemantal mentality change that we can no longer rely on young players, has not yet happened.
    7. our scouting network still is not at the level it should be
    8. we left it too late to start working on deals and now clubs dont want to sell to us as they dont have time to get replacement in.
    9. the club blames Moyes for last summer and thinks theres not much more investment needed.
    10. we planned the summer really badly and have f*cked it up...again
    11. agents are messing us about...again.

there could and i stress could, be something written into the addidas deal that big signings have to happen next year when that deal kicks in, to allow them get ROI on their £75million.

summary - i dont think the Glazers are a problem now, but they were for many years, along with Fergie signing the wrong players.

its probably a bit off all those reasons. i dont think FFP is an issue unless we become RM afaik.

Its also worth noting that from a financial POV we need CL football next season. we face a 20mill penalty from adidas and around another 15-20mill from other sponsors combine that with the loss of PL and CL tv/prize money we're looking to be down 80mill on what we thought we would receive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

deal_or_nodeal.jpg?itok=PlRXeEbb

And what other clubs were in for Mata and RVP? Only City for RVP and no one else for Mata as a far as I know. Is Gary breen still playing. May aswell bid for him.

So the PL winners and one of the biggest spenders on the planet are not a top European team and none of the top European teams would have been interested in Mata. Yeah, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

something tells me the glazers are in for a rough week, theres a few people out there trying to organise protests and it appears to be gathering pace like the last one.

its a complete waste of time, doesnt do the club or anybody any good, just like 2010.

The other problem i have is that one big signing and everybody will think its ok again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If we're going to be using 4411 then he would make a lot of sense. Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani, Young, Zaha and Valencia is good quality and depth for the two wings.

If we buy Benatia then we're shaping up well for 3412 with him, Evans, Jones, Smalling and Blackett. Would probably still need to add one more cover CB to that.

If we're sticking with 3412, which buying Benatia would indicate, then I'd be worried that buying Di Maria just makes us even more overstocked in attacking options.

If Di Maria is available you take him. It's depressing how poor this United side have been in the final third, a complete lack of pace. Januzaj being the only one last season that actually tried to beat a man instead of shifting it to try and cross (Young) or stopping dead turning around and passing it back (Valencia)
    I'd have that type of player almost as necessary as CM and CB.

Just reflecting...
    Certainly has been a fairly s.hite weekend hasn't it... :(

• Advertisement

Thank God for small mercies! :pac::pac:

v3ttel wrote: »
    Thank God for small mercies! :pac::pac:
    Get out ya pup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rojo and Blind would make me happy with the window overall. Though a right back needs to be signed. Blackett being an LB means that I'd probably prefer a right sided player such as Cuadrado brought in to stop this Januzaj and Lingard malarkey and have 2 good attacking RBs if the move to a 4-3-3 happens and good wing backs in a 3-5-2.

I think LVG might be a tad too stubborn to drop his new system but we'll see I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

i dunno, we spending more money now than ever before - £27.5m on Fellaini, £37mon Mata, £56m on Shaw and Herrera, it appears there is some money left but so far that money is being wasted.

there could and i stress could, be something written into the addidas deal that big signings have to happen next year when that deal kicks in, to allow them get ROI on their £75million.

I read that 24m of the 75m is meant to be on qualifying for the CL.

As to wasting the money on players, that's definitely true.

As good as Mata is, it's hard to fit him into the side. We spent more on Shaw than Chelsea spent on Felipe Luis, Liverpool spent on Moreno or Bayern spent on Bernat.

Rakitic went for hardly anything this summer, and we spent nearly double on Herrera instead.

Strootman was possible last year, and we left him go, to spend ****loads on Fellaini.

Plenty of players available who wouldn't cost us a load too, but would be an improvement at least from a depth perspective if not to the first 11. We don't need to be chasing a Benatia or a Vidal, when someone lesser would do.

Could have done a Liverpool and raided Southampton for Lovren and maybe Schneiderlin and we'd be much better off

If Di Maria is available you take him. It's depressing how poor this United side have been in the final third, a complete lack of pace. Januzaj being the only one last season that actually tried to beat a man instead of shifting it to try and cross (Young) or stopping dead turning around and passing it back (Valencia)
    I'd have that type of player almost as necessary as CM and CB.

That line of argument was used to justify buying RVP and Mata which directly resulted in us now having such an unbalanced squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loosing Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand without suitably replacing them for the start of the PL season is beyond belief altogether - absolutely unbelievable from one of the biggest clubs in the world... if this is not fixed before the window closes and we continue to drop points to lesser teams at will then I can see a massive backlash inside and out of OT from fans.

People keep saying about "OMG no replacements for Vidic, Evra and Rio".

Evra was replaced by Shaw. Rio, remembering he was really at a stage whereby he shouldn't have been anything more than a last choice back up, has seemingly been replaced by Blackett, who may not be as experienced, but offers about as much on the field right now.

As for Vidic....ideally, Jones or Smalling should have been ready by now to step up; had they developed like we all hoped, this is where Jones or Smalling, along with Evans, would have staked their claims. The trio should have been ready to be first choice and natural replacements for him. Why that's not happened, who knows.

Regardless, it's obvious that we are trying to bring in another CB anyway, given all the talk of transfers. As I've said before, it's obvious LVG wanted to see what type of defender he needed and has started working towards it since.

But as for replacing Evra and Rio....we did. Maybe not with the quality people would like, and it sucks injuries have taken out Evra's replacement, but it doesn't change that Shaw was signed months ago as a direct replacement....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

something tells me the glazers are in for a rough week, theres a few people out there trying to organise protests and it appears to be gathering pace like the last one.

its a complete waste of time, doesnt do the club or anybody any good, just like 2010.

The other problem i have is that one big signing and everybody will think its ok again.

Why are they protesting against the Glazers? :confused:

They have basically always left the footballing decisions at the club to the football people, i.e. the chief executive and manager, so shouldn't it be them who are the target of any protest? As others have pointed out we have spent money this calendar year, it's not their fault the wrong players were chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

According to skys sites they updated the Benatia to fly to Manchester story at around 4 today. Was it the same story as last night or is that still happening as far as there concerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Get out ya pup...

We're all friends here

Limerick abu!

Just reflecting on yesterday there was a few small improvements from last season that I saw.

1. I liked our structure in pressing and aggression side yesterday, for periods anyway. Swansea did not have it there own way and we won the ball back better then last season when our pressure was pathetic and teams got to our half far too easy.

2. Blackett and Januzaj I thought played well. Blackett was stupid for free kick, but hopefully he will learn.

3. Phil Jones showed lot of bottle and 2 great tackles

4. Under Moyes if we went goal behind and scored we have a belter of period for 5 minutes after, but fall flat again for rest of game. I felt wekept up the pressure more consistent yesterday, but lacked a cutting edge(no cookies for that)

5. Also its not like as if Swansea had lot of chances. Fair play they took those they got, but it was not like last season where teams seemed to get 5-6 good opportunities and had we scored late on I dont think it have been harsh on Swansea.

Maybe im scraping a barrel here, and in no way am I making a excuse for defeat. It should not happen at home to relegation material.

But, with couple of signings and bit more work in training ground we may still get CL football again.

Am I alone in thinking it wasn't an awful performance?
    After grabbing the equaliser it looked to be only a matter of time until there was another United goal, utterly dominant in that period after getting a wake up call at half-time. The Swansea goal came out of nowhere really.
    Liverpool looked worse today and won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lord TSC wrote: »

Evra was replaced by Shaw. Rio, remembering he was really at a stage whereby he shouldn't have been anything more than a last choice back up, has seemingly been replaced by Blackett, who may not be as experienced, but offers about as much on the field right now.

As for Vidic....ideally, Jones or Smalling should have been ready by now to step up; had they developed like we all hoped, this is where Jones or Smalling, along with Evans, would have staked their claims. The trio should have been ready to be first choice and natural replacements for him. Why that's not happened, who knows.

Regardless, it's obvious that we are trying to bring in another CB anyway, given all the talk of transfers. As I've said before, it's obvious LVG wanted to see what type of defender he needed and has started working towards it since.

But as for replacing Evra and Rio....we did. Maybe not with the quality people would like, and it sucks injuries have taken out Evra's replacement, but it doesn't change that Shaw was signed months ago as a direct replacement....

Then in this scenario where Evra, Rio, & Vidic have all been replaced by Shaw, Smalling, & Jones - who is there to replace them then?

That is what people are complaining about, our lack of cover. Where we has some last season, we no longer do.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Would agree with Shaw for Evra (I am too confident that Shaw will be a success) but Blackett for Rio and Jones/Smalling for Vidic .... its like trading a 520d for a 1.0 Corsa ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The delusion around Juan Mata is astonishing. He has done NOTHING since becoming our most expensive signing ever. As far as I'm aware, no other top clubs were interested in him. And Mourinho clearly didn't rate him which adds a huge "caveat emptor" in my view.

He's the new Dimitar Berbatov in many ways...these pages are full of pictures of him and gushing tributes but the reality is that he has been just a little north of anonymous since joining. Fingers crossed that he achieves greatness but he could be another expensive flop like Berbatov. The simple fact is that he wasn't needed - Yet again we tried to stick a surround sound system into our front room when the roof's fallen in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I alone in thinking it wasn't an awful performance?
    After grabbing the equaliser it looked to be on a matter of time until there was another United goal, utterly dominant in that period after getting a wake up call at half-time. The Swansea goal came out of nowhere really.
    Liverpool looked worse today and won.

It was poor enough, but mostly from a attacking point of view.

Our play was too slow at times.

We need to ball up to attack much quicker, but agree about Swansea getting goals from little.

We're all friends here

Limerick abu!

I'm from Kilkenny ;)

That line of argument was used to justify buying RVP and Mata which directly resulted in us now having such an unbalanced squad.

United seem to have a problem with getting rid of attacking players. That's as much the cause of squad imbalance if you ask me.
    Bring in Di Maria and get rid of Young, even Nani. Kagawa, as much as I like him could have gone when Mata came in. Anderson is still there FFS.

We're all friends here

Limerick abu!
    I bet you were't saying that after the Munster Final :P ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Some of the metaphors in the last couple of posts have been top notch!

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm from Kilkenny ;)
    Ah your day is to come so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ian Ladyman ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 1m
    #mufc and Sporting have discussed Nani loan as makeweight in Rojo deal. Nani presently not keen. Discussions ongoing...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement