Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

NUTZZ wrote: »
    We're getting our shirts lads! :D

Fair play if true. Someones gonna get sacked for this.

*cue meme of David Moyes working as an IT consultant for the MU store

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Siickened I missed it on the site this morning and it was still on the away shirt went to paypal processed but then it said an error. Well done lads if they do honour it, I will be very bitter about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hococop wrote: »
    Siickened I missed it on the site this morning and it was still on the away shirt went to paypal processed but then it said an error. Well done lads if they do honour it, I will be very bitter about it :)

I got the error a couple of times too but then it eventually went through, I used PayPal also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I got the error a couple of times too but then it eventually went through, I used PayPal also.

Tried it twice but figured they stopped it, damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Aaah yes we'll remember this when the club are stalling on offering Vidal that extra couple of quid in his wages and the deal falls through... I hope the jerseys are worth it!!!! :D

ericzeking wrote: »
    Aaah yes we'll remember this when the club are stalling on offering Vidal that extra couple of quid in his wages and the deal falls through... I hope the jerseys are worth it!!!! :D

Well I've had my fun...

mqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

We're getting our shirts lads! :D

Yahoo baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hey guys, just watched the highlights of last nights game. Do ye think Reece James will be blooded this year as a first team player ala Januzaj or will he just be a pre-season false dawn ala Bebe, Cleverley etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

315770.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

These price glitches at online stores are very effective marketing, probably more effective than a Sale.

Makes you wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Zico wrote: »
    These price glitches at online stores are very effective marketing, probably more effective than a Sale.

Makes you wonder.

Dont care 60% or so off is a good deal regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I'm never buying a jersey again! :mad:
    For anyone else :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Van gaal, via official site, concedes we are too short on center backs...

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014/Tour2014News/2014/Jul/louis-van-gaal-short-of-defensive-options.aspx#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Didn't see the match. How did shaw perform?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Van gaal, via official site, concedes we are too short on center backs...

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014/Tour2014News/2014/Jul/louis-van-gaal-short-of-defensive-options.aspx#
    Not registered can some one embed it ?

Van Gaal wary of centre-back shortage

Louis van Gaal has conceded he is short of defensive options after fielding Darren Fletcher in an unfamiliar role during the second half of a 7-0 hammering of LA Galaxy.
    The Manchester United manager chose a 3-5-2 formation for the Chevrolet Cup fixture and started with Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones at the back. Youngsters Tyler Blackett and Michael Keane joined captain Fletcher after the break and preserved a clean sheet against the MLS side.

Following the departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to Inter Milan and QPR respectively, the centre-back options at the club have been reduced.

"I have no more defenders," explained van Gaal to MUTV. "So I have to pick a player Fletcher who can do the job but he is not so suitable for this position."

The manager is pleased with the way the players are responding to his methods and felt Reece James can be particularly excited with his two-goal debut.

"I have had only three days with this group and they did well," he stated. "The first training session was not so good but the second session was much better already. So they are picking up and I was very proud of the boys.

"When you listen good, you can play good and he James is a young boy with a lot of talent. I hope he can perform in much more games like this."

There ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not registered can some one embed it ?
    Van Gaal wary of centre-back shortage

Louis van Gaal has conceded he is short of defensive options after fielding Darren Fletcher in an unfamiliar role during the second half of a 7-0 hammering of LA Galaxy.
    The Manchester United manager chose a 3-5-2 formation for the Chevrolet Cup fixture and started with Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones at the back. Youngsters Tyler Blackett and Michael Keane joined captain Fletcher after the break and preserved a clean sheet against the MLS side.

Following the departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to Inter Milan and QPR respectively, the centre-back options at the club have been reduced.

"I have no more defenders," explained van Gaal to MUTV. "So I have to pick a player [Fletcher] who can do the job but he is not so suitable for this position."

The manager is pleased with the way the players are responding to his methods and felt Reece James can be particularly excited with his two-goal debut.

"I have had only three days with this group and they did well," he stated. "The first training session was not so good but the second session was much better already. So they are picking up and I was very proud of the boys.

"When you listen good, you can play good and he [James] is a young boy with a lot of talent. I hope he can perform in much more games like this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Jones/Smalling/Rafael/Chicarito may be regulars but are they getting better? No.

So you don't believe that Jones (22), Rafael (24), Smalling (24) will be any better in the future?

Not even when they will be working with a world class coach over the next few seasons?

And will be heading towards their prime physical conditioning (barring injury)?

And while they are likely to be exposed to regular first team football in their best position (specifically referring to Jones & Smalling, as they've been dicked around with their positions)?

With three more years experience?

Let's just agree to disagree on that one.
    Also I never said they didn't contribute success...my whole point was that we need to sign players for now and not players for the future as some of our players are on downward curves.

Ok. To sum up your two posts in their entirety, now that you've clarified your position:
    Also I never said they didn't contribute success

Players on downward curves do contribute to success.
    my whole point was that we need to sign players for now

But we need to replace them right now.
    Not many of our players are on an upward curve of development.

We've no good young players.
    Look at Arsenal, going for potential....

Yeah....they stayed a team of potential and won nothing.

But that's fine?
    remember Dunphy saying they would dominate?

Because Eamon Dunphy said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

v3ttel wrote: »
    Because Eamon Dunphy said so.

At last! The crux of the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Exciting stuff last night. I thought the performance was good for the first game back. Plenty of room for improvement from all involved, but you expect that. It was good to see there was lots of interchanging of positions in the middle.

It's great to know already what formation LVG wants to play. I still think a front three of Rooney, RVP and Mata will lack pace for the biggest games, but maybe that can be worked around.

Now that we know LVG wants to play with wing-backs it looks like we're going to need a good number of defenders bought so there's enough cover. Even if, being optimistic, Luis manages to convert Valencia into a defender and promotes one of the youth players to being a squad regular, that would still leave us needing three more defenders brought in to cover the rest of the back line.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Exciting stuff last night. I thought the performance was good for the first game back. Plenty of room for improvement from all involved, but you expect that. It was good to see there was lots of interchanging of positions in the middle.

It's great to know already what formation LVG wants to play. I still think a front three of Rooney, RVP and Mata will lack pace for the biggest games, but maybe that can be worked around.

Now that we know LVG wants to play with wing-backs it looks like we're going to need a good number of defenders bought so there's enough cover. Even if, being optimistic, Luis manages to convert Valencia into a defender and promotes one of the youth players to being a squad regular, that would still leave us needing three more defenders brought in to cover the rest of the back line.

Has he said that this is his formation that he intends to use? If not I wouldn't jump the gun regarding that. Interesting (hopefully exciting) formation if he does use it but I hope he doesn't lock himself into it too early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Guys, how did that Chevrolet stream go this morning, and do we know if they'll be doing a stream for each match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Has he said that this is his formation that he intends to use? If not I wouldn't jump the gun regarding that. Interesting (hopefully exciting) formation if he does use it but I hope he doesn't lock himself into it too early.

Yeah he said he's planning on using 3-4-1-2 to make best use out of all the strikers at the club. Also said he'd change to 4-3-3 if it doesn't work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Guys, how did that Chevrolet stream go this morning, and do we know if they'll be doing a stream for each match?

It crashed and went into a loop a few minutes before kick-off. I think it started working for some people a little while later though.

Stream was fine, no issues and good quality, I didnt get the start of it though.

I'm absolutely jacked now though, nearly passed out on the rug in the sitting room there about 20 mins ago so i wouldnt recommend staying up for them, just did it cos it was LVGs first game in charge.

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah he said he's planning on using 3-4-1-2 to make best use out of all the strikers at the club. Also said he'd change to 4-3-3 if it doesn't work.

Fair enough, I like it as a formation if he can get it to work. Can't see room for nani, zaha, young at the club unless he's willing to move to a 3-4-3 formation at times

Crashed a few times before and after kick-off. Ran smoothly from about the fifth minute on. Haven't heard if they're planning to air any more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Weren't they calling last night's game the Chevrolet Cup or something like that? Probably just a once-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can anyone see United going for Vlaar if they are going to be playing 3-4-1-2? Looked a different player at the WC in a 3 man defense, think he could be an excellent low cost alternative for ye at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lukker- wrote: »
    Can anyone see United going for Vlaar if they are going to be playing 3-4-1-2? Looked a different player at the WC in a 3 man defense, think he could be an excellent low cost alternative for ye at CB.

Nope.

I thought they might have but seeing as though they have yet to make that move I would say its unlikely.
    Could do worse, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

wouldnt mind vlaar if we got a good deal on him esp being in the last year of his contract but i think its unlikely we're after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganbbc 3m
    Led to believe Stefan de Vrij is more likely to head to Italy than Manchester. #mufc

Think we might have signed him by now if we were in for him

Think we might have signed him by now if we were in for him

Does this point to our supposed interest in hummels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

An File wrote: »
    Weren't they calling last night's game the Chevrolet Cup or something like that? Probably just a once-off.

Last nights was just a one off for Chevrolet . The rest of the tour is presented by Aon so doubtful Chevrolet will have a stream for the others

tbh I'm not overly concerned with the individual we get in as long as they are up to scratch. There are a number of players that would improve our back line and if the difference in quality isnt huge then dont faff about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would people be happy with Vlaar, De Vrij, Blind and De Jong. While not top class would offer a decent depth to the squad.

Obviously Vidal or a Hummels would be nice but i am not confident of either.

"My future? I'll speak with the coach on Monday"

Such a tease :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Who said this ?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Would people be happy with Vlaar, De Vrij, Blind and De Jong. While not top class would offer a decent depth to the squad.

Obviously Vidal or a Hummels would be nice but i am not confident of either.

Ya, tbh. For now that would be enough. I wouldn't go in for vidal as it stands anyway, hummels I would though.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Who said this ?

redbaron_99

Vidal seemingly

Source?

@mirkogazzetta

Vidal a Torino: "Il mio futuro? Lunedì parlerò con il mister..."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, posting a quote without any hint of who is being quoted.

Who's the tease again?

jesus, very touchy today.

That twitter account also adds...

Vidal: "A Manchester non vado..." (To Manchester, I do not go....)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That twitter account also adds...

Vidal: "A Manchester non vado..." (To Manchester, I do not go....)

To Paris he goes.. probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

To Paris he goes.. probably.

No way are PSG signing anymore big money players. They had to get Aurier on loan because they couldn't sign him and comply with FFP, that David Luiz deal really screwed them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement