Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Would love to see Javier stay, but if he wants to go, its understandable.

However. We should NOT be held to ransom, when we are the club holding the cards, anything less than £15m would be awful business.

Actually, straight swap for Arda Turan sounds about right to me... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll do ya a deal on a lovely Kagamata pair of jerseys

SOLD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

metro claiming that Di Maria will decide if he is joining us, in the next few hours.

very very strange target (if he is one). assume he would be bought to fill the Robben role in the Dutch team for us.

not totally convinced by him, very hit and miss though on his day he is excellent. money being quoted is very high though and once again it would be another non priority signing - the big money should be sent on a center back and a midfielder first. he would however bring pace and creativity which is something we lacked last season so i guess it could work.

i think a player like Di Maria would mean the end for Nani, Kagawa and Hernandez for sure also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I know its been said but, the sponsor on the jersey is terrible.

It really really isn't.

I don't know where this reverse circle jerk about the logo came from but there are much worse ones out there. Granted it isn't the best ever but i think it's ok, especially on the away kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I love the current jersey. Bought it on pretty much when it came out and think it looks good in person and on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Not sure if anyone posted this, Andy Mitten article on Evra not very happy to be leaving...

http://www.united.no/andy-mitten/evra-er-fortsatt-sint/

(In English half way down the page)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/25/angel-di-maria-to-decide-on-manchester-united-transfer-within-hours-4810106/

Don't think we need Di Maria. He's obviously a top class player but where would he fit in if the main formation used by LVG is 3-5-2?

More pressing concerns like a CM and CB. The Vermaelen rumours have been going on for so long now. How is it taking so long to secure him? He's clearly 3rd choice at Arsenal and there's no other teams in for him. You would have thought that deal should be wrapped up soon enough.

SOLD.

Seriously, I got 2 one for and one for the bro, if he doesnt want his one I'll give it to you for the price i paid + the shipping charge, i dont need 2.

metro claiming that Di Maria will decide if he is joining us, in the next few hours.

very very strange target (if he is one). assume he would be bought to fill the Robben role in the Dutch team for us.

not totally convinced by him, very hit and miss though on his day he is excellent. money being quoted is very high though and once again it would be another non priority signing - the big money should be sent on a center back and a midfielder first.

i think a player like Di Maria would mean the end for Nani, Kagawa and Hernandez for sure also.

1. Metro - so it is either completely made up, or stolen from elsewhere. In this case it is stolen from elsewhere I believe.
    2. 'Next few hours' doesn't actually mean that, in Spain. It simply means 'soon', and nothing else. Could be days or a week. They generally say it as 'a matter of hours away', meaning that a lot of prior work on whatever deal has already been done so only a small amount is needed to close it.

If we are going with the 3412 formation we had vs Galaxy, I don't see where Di Maria would play. Not as the left wing back, and LVG is already saying we have too many number 10s - adding another wouldn't make sense.

As you say, I could only see him bought to fill the Robben role... but we have Rooney doing that I would assume. Welbeck and Januzaj (imo) as back up options. If Rooney isn't leaving, I don't see justification for Di Maria.

Seriously, I got 2 one for and one for the bro, if he doesnt want his one I'll give it to you for the price i paid + the shipping charge, i dont need 2.

Whats the size?

• Advertisement

so are people saying that Di Maria would be a transfer that they dont agree with or more to the point, a player we dont need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

so are people saying that Di Maria would be a transfer that they dont agree with or more to the point, a player we dont need?

If it inhibits spending on other players I wouldn't agree with it but if Woody is true to his word and there is no limits then I'd take him in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

I doubt there's anything to the link. Perhaps he wants a move or Madrid want rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know if Andy Mitten is going to be doing his podcasts this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It seems in football if a manager doesn't play defensively or regularly change his team and approach to deal with the opposition, then people think he's not great with tactics. I would say that attacking football is just as dependent on tactics, and looking to impose your style on the opposition, as opposed to reacting to their style, requires just as much tactical acumen.

Fergie's tactics usually followed his attacking strategy (although he did fall into defensive football in the bigger games for a good few years), so he didn't change them every week, because that would hinder the confidence and fluidity of the attack. He got the team playing in a way that pushed the opposition onto the back foot at key moments in games and that gave his players a great chance of winning most games. And just because the tactics didn't change or weren't defensive, doesn't mean they weren't present.

My gut says a player we don't need but I can't work out what LVG wants or plans - could be planning on getting rid of Nani, Young and Chicho, and plans for Di Maria to replace them all - either on the wing when we play with wingers or up top if needs be.

Right now - only looking at the formation vs Galaxy and what I would expect to be the first choice side, I just can't see the point in spending the money on him. I think he is a great player, but I can't see where we would play him.

We need a CM partner for Herrera and at least one centre back (two would be my minimum) and left back/wingback.

For Di Maria to make sense, I would say Rooney would need to be on his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I would take Di Maria in an instant. He had a fantastic season last year and was my MOTM in the CL final.

That metro links says psg have started selling Di Maria shirts in the club shop even though that was a photoshopped pic going around the other day :rolleyes:

great journalism

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone know if Andy Mitten is going to be doing his podcasts this season?
    maybe, maybe not - they are up in the air at the moment. Mirror are no longer supporting it and he can't find a sponsor that will give him editorial control.

http://www.uwsonline.com/forum/showthread.php/20428-UWS-podcasts-The-future?p=319042#post319042

Keno wrote: »
    I would take Di Maria in an instant. He had a fantastic season last year and was my MOTM in the CL final.

how would you see him being used in an LVG team, and who drops out for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Vidal won't join pool , will he ? I'll be sick if lose out to them

Seriously – why would any top class footballer with ambition choose Liverpool over United? If Vidal does go there (which I very very much doubt) its either because United aren’t interested or the money on offer is massively better (again doubt this)

All Liverpool have to offer over united at the moment is CL football for this season. Will be amazed if they repeat the trick and qualify again this year. City and Chelsea have 2 spots tied up. Arsenal likewise. That leaves United, Liverpool et al to fight it out for the last one and United will certainly be favourite for that. So essentially if you are picking Liverpool over United it would be on the basis of 6-8 CL games this season and then what? Can understand it if you were Ricky Lambert and the far side of 30 but an elite player like Vidal or some of the others who have been mentioned? No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Boooo I went with normal should have ticked express! Disgusted now! Any way too track standard dhl ?

I'm pretty sure that the normal delivery is DHL Global Mail which is actually delivered by An Post in Ireland.

I can't really see the point of Di Maria either this season. Think he would offer us something else if we were in Europe but we're not. Don't see the need for him to win or compete for the premier league. Money would be better spent on a top class striker.

Coat22 wrote: »
    I can't really see the point of Di Maria either this season. Think he would offer us something else if we were in Europe but we're not. Don't see the need for him to win or compete for the premier league. Money would be better spent on a top class striker.

I wouldn't spend the money there either - for the exact same reason I wouldn't spend it on Di Maria.

We have Rooney and RVP, I don't see why we would spend big on a player for the position those two will be playing in.

:(

BtY0ICFCIAAYFje.png

while of course nobody knows for sure why he left, theres a chance that had we offered him a 2 or 3 year deal he would have stayed as opposed to the rolling one year deals we have for our older players.

of course it was good enough for Giggs, Scholes,VDS, Carrick, Rio so he shouldnt get special treatment, but its such a shame he left us with i believe, still 3 good years at top level to offer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Two up front has to be good news for Hernandez And Welbeck.

Hoping for a Couple of Defenders, Blind and a cm now. Not asking much :p

:(

BtY0ICFCIAAYFje.png

while of course nobody knows for sure why he left, theres a chance that had we offered him a 2 or 3 year deal he would have stayed as opposed to the rolling one year deals we have for our older players.

of course it was good enough for Giggs, Scholes,VDS, Carrick, Rio so he shouldnt get special treatment, but its such a shame he left us with i believe, still 3 good years at top level to offer.

From what I have read, the reason he isn't at United is because he hated Moyes, and did his deal before Moyes got the hook.

Similar to his role at Madrid at times.
    11543.png

Him and Herrera with hopefully Vidal in behind. Rooney, VP and Mata up top.

I wouldn't spend the money there either - for the exact same reason I wouldn't spend it on Di Maria.

We have Rooney and RVP, I don't see why we would spend big on a player for the position those two will be playing in.

If they perform. We won't see another 12/13 out of RVP and Rooney imo is not at the 30 goals a season level anymore either. If we're to win the PL we'll need a 30 goal man unless LVG can get 10-15 from someone in mid field. Mata the unknown quantity here.

Can't see RVP doing it week in week out this year but hope I'm wrong. Reckon if we sign 2 decent CBs and a defensive mid fielder we're back challenging - another top drawer striker would push us towards the title.

• Advertisement

Whats the size?

Large, dont get your hopes up btw, just letting you know of the possibility.

Large, dont get your hopes up btw, just letting you know of the possibility.

would be swimming on me - cheers for the offer though.

Could be tbh. If we are well stocked in his position depending on formation I dont think we need him. CLub isnt going to go broker though so if he's bought I wont be crying into my weetos.

would be swimming on me - cheers for the offer though.

No hassle.

Regarding the sizes of them does anyone know if they are they analogous to tshirt sizes here?

11543.png

I think it's been posted that LvG wants to use the 3-5-2 (or whatever way you want to describe it) system. Harder to find space for him in that.

I think it's been posted that LvG wants to use the 3-5-2 (or whatever way you want to describe it) system. Harder to find space for him in that.

Louis is partial to a 4-3-3 too. And with his lack of CB's for the 3-5-2, it's certainly a possibility.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    It seems in football if a manager doesn't play defensively or regularly change his team and approach to deal with the opposition, then people think he's not great with tactics. I would say that attacking football is just as dependent on tactics, and looking to impose your style on the opposition, as opposed to reacting to their style, requires just as much tactical acumen.

Fergie's tactics usually followed his attacking strategy (although he did fall into defensive football in the bigger games for a good few years), so he didn't change them every week, because that would hinder the confidence and fluidity of the attack. He got the team playing in a way that pushed the opposition onto the back foot at key moments in games and that gave his players a great chance of winning most games. And just because the tactics didn't change or weren't defensive, doesn't mean they weren't present.

When you're wining you dont have to be reactionary. Fergie won a lot.

I do think that his players were given the freedom to choose on the pitch partly because they were tactically aware as a result of working under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

11543.png

Think Kagawa could do that role in a 3 man midfield beside Carrick and Herrera.

Louis is partial to a 4-3-3 too. And with his lack of CB's for the 3-5-2, it's certainly a possibility.

True enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Di Maria is only viable within the current squad if LvG uses 4-3-3 as his main system, which he doesn't intend to do, for now at least. I think it's safe enough to rule him out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You can still see the connection between Vidic and United, one has a tyre manufacturer on their shirt, the other has the car for the tyres...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Di Maria while world class would be money badly spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

From what I have read, the reason he isn't at United is because he hated Moyes, and did his deal before Moyes got the hook.

And that's what I also took from that interview he did with the Telegraph last May. When asked would he have stayed if he knew Moyes was going. He was being incredibly diplomatic, but reading what he said, the impression he gave me was he would have stayed if Moyes wasn't around.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Overall Fergie is probably the greatest manager in football but I think maybe LVG has a bit more in his locker tactically than Fergie did.

They both have, amongst other characteristics, ruthlessness, charisma and an undying will to win that the top echelon of managers all seem to possess, looking long term I don't see these things in Giggs, the idea that he'll spend 4 years under Van Gaal and do some coaching badges and then be able to take the reigns at Manchester United is baffling IMO, worse than the Moyes appointment. AVB spent years under Mourinho but his Mourinho rip off tactics only got him so far and he failed when he made the step up and the reason is he just ain't Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Think Kagawa could do that role in a 3 man midfield beside Carrick and Herrera.

Carrick is currently crocked and not a spring chicken by any means. If hes a first choice cm this season we are in trouble IMO.

We absolutely need a cm partner for Herrera regardless to whether its a 2 or 3 man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Nah, they're spending all their money on Reus and Hummels, BRod has a great eye for hidden gems.

Why would the buy Hummels when they are buying Dejan "better than Hummels" Lovren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

My jersey came this morning too. Went for the 1994 FA Cup Final one instead :D

From the Guardian re. Vidal

"Vidal was a target of the former United manager, David Moyes, and remained on the list retained by United for Louis van Gaal, his successor, to consider.

However, the Dutchman recently informed the club executive that he was not currently interested in the 27-year-old but other clubs are monitoring his situation."

VG recently informed the club he was not interested? Thats a new one. If true (and the guradian normally is spot on) then why is this story been given any time at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

My jersey came this morning too. Went for the 1994 FA Cup Final one instead :D

Nice. Gutted they didn't have any medium in stock for the '91 home and '94 black away one at the time.

while i get what you are saying, its a very short sighted view as such and one that i believe Woodward also shares - i.e. great player, lets sign him, without necessarily planning that where he fitted into the team or more to the point, addressing our needs. Fergie did it with Veron and berbatov, even kagawa - all serious players, but just not suited to our style and set up and realistically, there was no room for berba and Kags especially.

similar to mata, with Rooney and kagawa in the team, there was perhaps no need to sign him.

now of course it it meant the end of young and Nani needed replacing, id be happy with Di Maria, but we could sign 5 wingers and 2 strikers this summer and it still wont solve out main problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

LOL
    OldTraffordFaithful ‏@OTFaithful 19m

Unbelievable to think that Herrera made more assists on his debut than Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher did combined all season...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement