Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If LVG plays the system he did versus Galaxy, for the season, there's no place for DiMaria in the team. We would need another CM and probably two CBs (ball playing ones) and one of those CBs might be versatile enough to cover LB.

If the Vidal story goes cold, the press will probably return to Strootman rumours as he's fit enough to join Roma in the US and seems to be making a quicker than expected recovery.

Who really knows what is going on, LVG knows his stuff and will sort it out, you'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Coat22 wrote: »
    VG recently informed the club he was not interested? Thats a new one. If true (and the guradian normally is spot on) then why is this story been given any time at all?

its been reported many times that Van Gaal cooled our interest in Kroos and Vidal.

of course, whether you chose to believe them or not is your own directive. the general stance out there is that the club are saying they are not interested in Vidal at the moment which leads me to believe that its the agent who is brokering a move, for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If LVG is the reason we don't have either Kroos or Vidal in midfield he's gonna need to win us the league to earn my trust back. MIND BOGGLING.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If LVG is the reason we don't have either Kroos or Vidal in midfield he's gonna need to win us the league to earn my trust back. MIND BOGGLING.

I'm sure he gives a shít about your trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do people seriously believe LVG would ok the move for Herrera but decide to pull out of moves for two of the best midfielders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He probably does yeah - i'm kinda a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Di Maria is far too lightweight for the EPL. He's suited to Spain but would flop in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kstand wrote: »
    Di Maria is far too lightweight for the EPL. He's suited to Spain but would flop in the EPL.

He would rip the league up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

David Silva says hello.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yea just like mata and david silva are 6'2 and built like tanks!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If LVG is waiting for Strootman in January instead of going in for Vidal I think it's very risky

Even if we bring in De Jong as a stop gap our midfield just isn't good enough at the moment, and there's no guarantee Strootman will leave mid season either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sterling, Januzaj, Walcott...
    If you're tricky and/or fast it doesn't really matter so much how you're built. Obviously a bit of muscle will help but it's not an absolute necessity.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Do people seriously believe LVG would ok the move for Herrera but decide to pull out of moves for two of the best midfielders in the world.

Youd want to assume that the club (if we are ambitious) would at least have put in a bid for both players and so far, there is no evidence to suggest we ever did.

it is definitely possible that Van Gaal does not want either player. likewise its possible that neither player wants to play for us and have their eye on other clubs - kross perhaps was being lined up by Moyes on the basis of us having CL football and a world record approaching wage.

but i wouldnt dismiss it like you are doing, as the likelyhood of it happening is IMO is equal to the players not wanting to sign for us - we may however never know the truth regarding Kross, Vidal could become clear in the next few days.

i stand by what ive been saying for a while now, if Strootman shows any signs of progression in the next 2 or 3 weeks, LVG will sign him. and that in my opinion, is the main reason we have not approached any other CM by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Di Maria had a fantastic league season and did some serious damage against Bayern. It is soccer we're talking about after all, not the Six Nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So once Kroos knew LVG didn't want him he settled for Real Madrid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You could apply that to all individual fans but collectively it adds up.

RasTa wrote: »
    So once Kroos knew LVG didn't want him he settled for Real Madrid?

Kroos isn't a nailed on starter for Real imo, look at the squad, thney will have to do some amount of rotation. The from midfield up I'd say you could see ronaldo, khedira, and irramendi getting the most appearances. Everyone else will be competing with too many top players for gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    It seems in football if a manager doesn't play defensively or regularly change his team and approach to deal with the opposition, then people think he's not great with tactics. I would say that attacking football is just as dependent on tactics, and looking to impose your style on the opposition, as opposed to reacting to their style, requires just as much tactical acumen.

Fergie's tactics usually followed his attacking strategy (although he did fall into defensive football in the bigger games for a good few years), so he didn't change them every week, because that would hinder the confidence and fluidity of the attack. He got the team playing in a way that pushed the opposition onto the back foot at key moments in games and that gave his players a great chance of winning most games. And just because the tactics didn't change or weren't defensive, doesn't mean they weren't present.
    Em, Fergie DID regularly change his team and since Ronaldo left there was plenty of defensive displays akin to Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea, 1-0s galore. The thing with the 1-0s for United is that they looked a lot less sure than Chelseas. Fergie as I said yesterday was great at picking players for a role but never really imparted a style of play on his teams. That was seemingly dictated by the centre mids he had at the time who really slowed down from 2010 on. I feel Liverpool without Suarez last season would have still done well and been around the top. I don't feel the same without Rooney, RVP, Nani or whoever the main standout player was in Fergie's last few years. There just wasn't a plan except put more attackers on a lot of the time. The never say die United are almost dead now when chasing a game late on and that didn't start with Moyes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

its been reported many times that Van Gaal cooled our interest in Kroos and Vidal.

of course, whether you chose to believe them or not is your own directive. the general stance out there is that the club are saying they are not interested in Vidal at the moment which leads me to believe that its the agent who is brokering a move, for various reasons.

First I heard on Vidal. Think on Kroos he was merely telling Woodward not to bother as he knew he was going to Madrid and United wouldn't have a hope but Vidal - reckon he could have him if he wanted so obviosuly doesn't want him which is fine - just hope he has an alternative that doesn't involve Tom Cleverly / Fellani / Rooney dropping back or Jones moving up into mid field.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes Pro mentioned the front two. Like Ronaldo for Madrid or Robben in the World Cup

Ya sorry, half 4 at night...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

while its not black and white straight forward saying he was poor tactically, there definitely is merit in it.

i mean in terms of success, surely saying his motivation, organisational, desire and will to win skills, along with some cracking players playing at the top of their game had a bigger influence than his tactical skills?

I dunno.

I don't really remember many times he was caught out tactically.

Once or twice perhaps but the thing is he was so tactically fluid, it could never be 100%.

People say Jose is a master tactician but actually he has one way to play and needs to stock a team with his own players to do it.

Jose in his wildest imagination never could have done this.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

Given the knee uncertainty around Vidal what do people think is a fair price for him?

Given the knee uncertainty around Vidal what do people think is a fair price for him?

£1, a Darren Fletcher and maybe half a Nani

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The transfer saga that goes on and on.....

Alex Shaw @AlexShawESPN
    On Vidal's airport interview, Juve director Marotta:
    “He gave an interview in a rushed and embarrassed manner ..and so was misinterpreted."

Alex Shaw @AlexShawESPN
    Juve director Marotta, as per what we assume, also says: "There's a remote chance (Vidal will leave)." Emphasis on remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

€40 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

gosplan wrote: »
    I dunno.

I don't really remember many times he was caught out tactically.

Once or twice perhaps but the thing is he was so tactically fluid, it could never be 100%.

People say Jose is a master tactician but actually he has one way to play and needs to stock a team with his own players to do it.

Jose in his wildest imagination never could have done this.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

you nailed it on the head there, he was a tactical genius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Chatting to another few Utd fans there on lunch, I asked when the last time we made a signing whilst the club were on a pre season tour, noone could give a name? Anyone?

Chatting to another few Utd fans there on lunch, I asked when the last time we made a signing whilst the club were on a pre season tour, noone could give a name? Anyone?

Bebe? was he one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Doiuf i think back 5-6 years ago

• Advertisement

Bebe? was he one?

na he was second last week of august iirc

generally doesnt happen, Bebe is the only example i can think of, maybe Michael Owen.

im sure theres one or two there that i am not thinking of, but most of our players are on board for first two weeks in July and then we have deadline day deals for Fellaini and Berba, with RVP about 2 weeks before it.

in summary, i reckon after from Bebe and Owen, i dont recall any players singing from around the period of lets say 10th of July to August 15th.

NTMK wrote: »
    Doiuf i think back 5-6 years ago

Oh yeah I remeber that, he was playing in Norway or somehere? Just goes to show we dont really make significant signings whilst on tour, should maybe lessen our expectations for the next two weeks.

generally doesnt happen, Bebe is the only example i can think of, maybe Michael Owen.

im sure theres one or two there that i am not thinking of, but most of our players are on board for first two weeks in July and then we have deadline day deals for Fellaini and Berba, with RVP about 2 weeks before it.

in summary, i reckon after from Bebe and Owen, i dont recall any players singing from around the period of lets say 10th of July to August 15th.

I dont even think Owen was signed whilst we were away IIRC, remeber we toured the far east and he scored in the opening/2nd game, open to correction there though.

Can't think why this is the case - chief exec and lawyers do the signing - maybe the unveiling and press op would need the manager back but no reason why a tour should delay a few business transactions

Oh yeah I remeber that, he was playing in Norway or somehere? Just goes to show we dont really make significant signings whilst on tour, should maybe lessen our expectations for the next two weeks.

before that (after checking) it was Carrick, Kleberson and ronaldo

They are about it Fergie did like to meet with players during negotiations so may hinder club signings but its just them 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Nice. Gutted they didn't have any medium in stock for the '91 home and '94 black away one at the time.

On this subject...I wonder will addidas reissue some of the class jerseys they had in the eighties and nineties when they take over as in properly reissue them and not just an imitation made by another company without the manufacturers logo....that would be class...my first United jersey was the addidas one with the crest in the middle with the 2 white bits in the arm pits from the 85 cup final though I was only a kid and it was a cast off.

They did it a couple of years back with Liverpool when they were making their kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Makes sense really. LvG will sit down after the tour and decide what he needs before the beginning of the season. Center back is top of the list obviously given we'll be playing 3-4-3 for the season and we have only senior center halfs.

Hopefully there will be a top quality signing before the window closes with Chelsea, Real, Barca, PSG all seemingly done in the market whilst City don't seem to be chasing all that many signings bar Manuals at the back given they're fairly well stocked. Liverpool and Arsenal look likely to be done when they get one or two more signed.

Just on the LA Galaxy game, for those that managed to watch the full game - what was the lineup like in terms of formation? Was it Mata in the hole behind Rooney and Welbeck and four across midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Is that really relevant though?

We have a new manager and a different chief exec, than the ones who oversaw most of the last decade together. Different people have different styles. (ie: when's the last time United played 3-5-2/3-4-1-2?)

We were definitely pushing hard for Fabregas last season while the pre-season tour was underway. Woodward alluded to the fact that transfer activity was progressing in his MUTV interview.

I would be surprised if nothing was happening.

• Advertisement

Just on the LA Galaxy game, for those that managed to watch the full game - what was the lineup like in terms of formation? Was it Mata in the hole behind Rooney and Welbeck and four across midfield?

3-4-1-2
    De Gea
    ---Smalling- Jones-evans---
    Val--Herera--Fletch---Shaw
    Mata
    ----Welbeck--Rooney

2nd half (same setup but more of a 5-3-2)
    Lindegraad
    --Keane--Fletch--Blackett--
    Raf--Kagawa--Clev--James
    Herrera

Nani----Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Coat22 wrote: »

VG recently informed the club he was not interested? Thats a new one. If true (and the guradian normally is spot on) then why is this story been given any time at all?

Every summer, without fail, the media like to drag out one big Utd transfer saga. Why Vidal? Because he fits the bill in terms of what we need, and because most Utd fans would like to see it happen, therefore will keep clicking/buying papers etc all summer long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

v3ttel wrote: »
    Is that really relevant though?

We have a new manager and a different chief exec, than the ones who oversaw most of the last decade together. Different people have different styles. (ie: when's the last time United played 3-5-2/3-4-1-2?)

We were definitely pushing hard for Fabregas last season while the pre-season tour was underway. Woodward alluded to the fact that transfer activity was progressing in his MUTV interview.

I would be surprised if nothing was happening.

Doesnt really appear to be much going on at all. Pushing it very late now to be doing much more in the transfer market before the start of the season. At this stage I expect one Centre back - of the pedigree of Vlaar or Vermaelen. And we'll end up paying £15million, when we should be paying a third of that.
    Probably won't land the type of midfielder we need, so they may postpone midfield signings until next summer when we could get Strootman. On top of that, maybe go for a young winger - Depay?

for those interested, i took a look at our last 29 transfers since August 2006 and when the players were signed, splitting it into 5 categories -
    • 8 were signed in January window.
    • 14 were signed in time for preseason (before July 10th)
    • 1 was signed during pre-season (Mame Diouf - July 10th to August 10th)
    • 4 players were signed late in summer window (RVP, butter, Henriquez, bebe - August 11th to Deadline day)
    • 2 were signed on deadline day (Berbatov and Fellaini)

when you look at it like that, in 8 years we have had one successful transfer in the late in summer window category.

indeed, the last time United signed a big player during preseason tour, was Michael Carrick on July 31st 2006 who would be the 30th player on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

for those interested, i took a look at our last 29 transfers since August 2006 and when the players were signed, splitting it into 5 categories -
    • 4 players were signed late in summer window (RVP, butter, Henriquez, bebe - August 11th to Deadline day)

when you look at it like that, in 8 years we have had one successful transfer in the late in summer window category.

indeed, the last time United signed a big player during preseason tour, was Michael Carrick on July 31st 2006 who would be the 30th player on the list.

Critical Exception in boards.post.homerjay2005: Sample size too small.

Yeah this backs up my previous post; there will probably be one more signing, and it's unlikely to be a top player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stopping at transfer number 29 because transfer number 30 goes against the picture you're trying to paint is a bit weak there HJ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

After the quick fire transfers of Herrera and Shaw, the last two weeks have been so dreary :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I don't think it matters what's happened at any point in the past regards signings. New manager = new system.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I don't think it matters what's happened at any point in the past regards signings. New manager = new system.

New system of signing players? Elaborate please

keane2097 wrote: »
    Stopping at transfer number 29 because transfer number 30 goes against the picture you're trying to paint is a bit weak there HJ!

???? it changes f*ck all. Michael Carrick was the last big player we signed during preseason, 8 years ago this week. it was 30 transfers ago. transfers 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 etc etc all fall into the same category.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement