Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Interesting excerpt from James Ducker's latest tour diary

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4157831.ece

Just about to post that, seems he failed the first test anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

dahat wrote: »
    Push him as a marquee signing if we fail to add proper quality to midfield, masking failures in the market again. Only a thought rather than something concrete.

Ah I can't see that happening. If LvG doesn't want him he wont play him. Look at the riquelme issue when he was at barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will be shot...I thought Ashley Young played really well against LA Galaxy.
    Maybe LVG will get him back to his best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ah I can't see that happening. If LvG doesn't want him he wont play him. Look at the riquelme issue when he was at barca.

I hope it doesn't but it seems possible midfield options are slipping by for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's not a point of what the current players are capable of. No matter how they do in pre season, we need more centre backs.
    It's a problem of mathematics and not quality.

True, but how the players perform in pre season will decide whether he's shopping for big money first choice centre backs, or young players with potential. He doesn't yet know whether he wants to out faith in Jones for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

So with Bebe gone today this is how we look so far;

In: Luke Shaw - Southampton - £34m

Ander Herrera - Athletic Bilbao - £29m

Vanja Milinkovic - FK Vojvodina - Undisclosed

Out: Bebe - Benfica - Undisclosed

Alexander Buttner - Dinamo Moscow - £5.6m

Nemanja Vidic - Inter Milan - Free

Patrice Evra - Juventus - £1.2m

Federico Macheda - Cardiff City - Free

Jack Barmby - Leicester City - Free

Rio Ferdinand - QPR - Free

Ryan Giggs - Retired

Louis Rowley - Leicester - Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RobertKK wrote: »

If Ashley Young could take a second to look up and see where players are moving to before he crosses he could still be a useful player. There could be 3 lads at the front post and he'd still hit for the far post. It's always an area for him, never the man. That's probably the only real problem I have with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The offical United twitter account says the Bebe deal was up to €3m, and we also have 50% of any sell-on fee.

Ignoring how much we paid for him, that's not a bad bit of business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adox wrote: »
    I think I'd cry if Utd wasted money on Cavani.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

No.

He's the type who will switch on for an occasion but is unreliable long term.

I'm impressed that he was able to 'Shop Window' but he's just as useless as Nani long term.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't but it seems possible midfield options are slipping by for one reason or another.

Whether they do or not I cant see Ed signing Cavani (or anyone else for that matter) without LvG's consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My personal opinion is that despite the big talk from Woodward, united are failing to sign any more of LVGs targets. Whether it is because we are being rejected by the player straight up or getting cheap again, I don't know, but I think it us evident there are problems on the transfer front again. It is simply unbelievable that LVG simply doesn't want any players signed right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I really hope Bebe is an outrageous success with Benfica. Decent business with the sell on clause!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The offical United twitter account says the Bebe deal was up to €3m, and we also have 50% of any sell-on fee.

If they insert a sell on clause like that would we get a piece of the piece?

Zico wrote: »
    No.

He's the type who will switch on for an occasion but is unreliable long term.

I'm impressed that he was able to 'Shop Window' but he's just as useless as Nani long term.

I think if nani plays he'll be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

we really should have 2 more defenders signed by now, the club have had 3 months to prepare for Vidic and Rio for instance.

Unfortunately every summer somebody at the club pushes a big red "Reset" button and everything has to start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »

he is a player who last season scored 14 top flight goals in portugal. I would have expected him to fetch around £5m.

For that price its an excellent deal for Benfica

I think if nani plays he'll be very good.

He played the other night.

Do you think he played very good?

he is a player who last season scored 14 top flight goals in portugal. I would have expected him to fetch around £5m.

He's a player who has barely played for us since we signed him, who we wanted rid of and who, despite doing well in Portugal, still saw his team bottom of the table. Was never going to sell for that much, but at least the 50% sell on clause means if he does continue to improve and moves, we'll likely hit the 5m at some point anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Bebe and Buttner, Couldn't get in the United team, both play in the champions league next season:mad:

• Advertisement

He played the other night.

Do you think he played very good?

you know what, you're right, James should be starting every game.

We've seen enough from 1 pre season game against La Galaxy where there were 9 changes made to the UTD team at half time to make assessments on players futures.

Jog on.

The 50% sell on clause should be worth a lot more than 2M if he keeps up that level of performance though.

Bebe and Buttner, Couldn't get in the United team, both play in the champions league next season:mad:

How many of these teams are good enough to get top 4 in England cos that's the real comparison wrt playing in champions league (last seasons albeit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Champions_League#Group_stage

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

From ducker's article that was posted.

https://twitter.com/AlexShawESPN/status/492692337454116865

Says alot if it's true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Unfortunately every summer somebody at the club pushes a big red "Reset" button and everything has to start from scratch.

Damn right,

I mean apart from decisions on Rio, Evra going and spending 60 million or so on Herrera, Shaw the club have just hung around being indecisive.

Jog on.

Indeed.

(I think you're better than that when everything is clear in your head.)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Damn right,

I mean apart from decisions on Rio, Evra going and spending 60 million or so on Herrera, Shaw the club have just hung around being indecisive.

Seriously, everyone is right to be pissed off/worried. I will say how it's expressed at times is a bit much.

But CFC City and Arsenal all have bought very well. If that's not a worry then I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It doesn't make much sense, if a player as good as Vidal is available you don't say you don't want him, especially when your best midfielder is an injured Michael Carrick with just 3 weeks until the league begins. Time will tell but we haven't got much of that at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For no price, apparently its Free up front but they will give us €3m if he is a superstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone's shirt order still say "picking"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

As someone mentioned before, in his first press conference LvG stated that he needed 3 or 4 weeks to see how the players adapted to his philosophy before he would bring in new faces. While he has acknowledged that we are short of defenders and that the squad is unbalanced, I don't think it is time to panic yet. After all, it was LA Galaxy we were playing the other night. And despite the positive performance from the players, I don't think LvG will be able to tell a lot from one match. I think he is waiting to see how they will fare against better quality opposition. That's why I'm looking forward to the Roma match tomorrow night. Should be a much better test.

TLDR: Not time to panic yet. Let's see how a couple of more friendly matches against better opposition go first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I agree, I'm putting it down to poor opposition but 2 assists (kind of) and two goals ain't bad in 45 mins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

lordgoat wrote: »
    Seriously, everyone is right to be pissed off/worried. I will say how it's expressed at times is a bit much.

But CFC City and Arsenal all have bought very well. If that's not a worry then I give up.

While genuinely busy Van Gaal was able to make quick decisions on Rio, Evra, Shaw & Herrera. So I think its okay to treat this summer on its merits rather than look at last summers saga of indecision and time wasting.

In a couple of weeks time then I could see why people would give out but as adox said even with pessimism its hard to imagine United not signing at least three players.

Going by what Van Gaal has already said he will be after certain qualities that fit his philosophy, he wants to re-balance the squad and he wants to utilise the good attacking options already in the squad which is all great news to me.

EDIT: I also like how he put a definite timeline on what he wanted to do and what would happen at the end of it, he is not afraid to commit so more good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

thanks for the memories bebe !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

J. Marston wrote: »

Yes. Thought I was the only one!

EDIT

It's just been changed to Shipped

• Advertisement

With the right approach you could buy the Vatican.

It's been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It doesn't make much sense, if a player as good as Vidal is available you don't say you don't want him, especially when your best midfielder is an injured Michael Carrick with just 3 weeks until the league begins. Time will tell but we haven't got much of that at this stage

United's lack of movement on Vidal could just be down to concern over his knee injury. A late season knee operation followed by a hard summer tournament is something you would expect should delay, or even scupper, a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Is LVG doing a press conference this evening? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Pro. F wrote: »
    United's lack of movement on Vidal could just be down to concern over his knee injury. A late season knee operation followed by a hard summer tournament is something you would expect should delay, or even scupper, a transfer.

Read a quote (from the Chilean team doc I think) that the surgery may have been rushed to allow him to play in the World Cup and either may not have been done to the standard to which it should and / or it will need further surgery to rectify the rushed job or complete the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

J. Marston wrote: »

Yup, mine does too. What time did you order?

• Advertisement

If Vidal is no longer a target, and it seems that way, anyone else think we should put in a bid for Arda Turan? Would fit in well on the left side of a midfield 3. Very experienced, probably entering into his peak years, hard working and a leader on the pitch. Personally I think he'd be a brilliant signing for us.

EDIT: Wouldn't cost anywhere near the price of Vidal or Di Maria or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Getting an awful feeling Van Gaal may use what he has in midfield till next summer.
    De Jong at best is what we will get I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fenix wrote: »
    Yup, mine does too. What time did you order?

About 1:30am yesterday.

United's lack of movement on Vidal could just be down to concern over his knee injury.

Or too much phlogiston.

Or too much phlogiston.

dPlknR.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Reports on Sky Sports app saying that Italian media saying we have bid £30 million for Strootman?

Reports on Sky Sports app saying that Italian media saying we have bid £30 million for Strootman?

Sky Sports also have an article up saying Roma have said he's going nowhere...

EDIT: Was their manager...

“Strootman is a Roma player. He will be a Roma player this year. There is no doubt about that,” Garcia said on the eve of Roma’s friendly against United in Denver. “Only he can say whether he wants to stay but it was never an issue for him to go to another club. There is no question of it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

LVG's only been in charge for 10 days so from his perspective, he's still getting to know the players and their capabilities. He's probably still in the process of evaluating the team and over the next two weeks, he'll know more about the players' attributes and how they'll fit into his core formation as well as deciding who's surplus to requirements. I'm sure him and Ed will then reduce the shopping list down to 3 or 4 main targets.

It's glaringly obvious that 2 CBs are needed - De Vrij and Vermaelen probably. Plus a box-to-box midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You could easily be right there.

I'd say we need at least 4 signings, 2 CBs and 2 CMs, 1 of each is urgently needed for the start of the season IMO. Fletcher and Ander is probably our best CM pairing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If Vidal is no longer a target, and it seems that way, anyone else think we should put in a bid for Arda Turan? Would fit in well on the left side of a midfield 3. Very experienced, probably entering into his peak years, hard working and a leader on the pitch. Personally I think he'd be a brilliant signing for us.

EDIT: Wouldn't cost anywhere near the price of Vidal or Di Maria or similar.

You working for the Metro :D

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/25/manchester-united-open-talks-with-atletico-madrid-over-arda-turan-transfer-4809814/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement