Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LVG on the first Roma goal and Amos' role...

LVG suggests Amos at fault for Roma goal: "I am almost 63 but if the ball is in the air for four seconds I could run 50 yards".

via Ladyman on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Trilla wrote: »

What are those big circles in the peno area and what was the keeper doing? I'd have saved that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

pauleoin wrote: »
    20% off everything on sportsdirect today (Sunday) including new United jerseys. Use code SUN20 at checkout, think they have free delivery to Ireland at the moment also.

Link:http://www.sportsdirect.com/football-shirts/premier-league-football-shirts/manchester-united-football-shirts

€71.99 full whack ?? Jaysus Christ .......... been awhile since I bought a jersey and it might be again.

zerks wrote: »
    Bein Sports now reporting that PSG are out on the Di Maria deal and he's to join United.

IF we sign both in the coming days,this place will explode.Plus it'll make the Liverpool/United thread interesting.

Doesn't it seem Real need to move on Di Maria in order to accommodate James ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What are those big circles in the peno area and what was the keeper doing? I'd have saved that myself

I was thinking about those circles last night and without googling it my best guess was a Lacrosse pitch? I still don't know what the circles are. Somebody tell me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GSPfan wrote: »
    I was thinking about those circles last night and without googling it my best guess was a Lacrosse pitch? I still don't know what the circles are. Somebody tell me.

I'd say you are spot on to be honest.. The goal is in the centre of the circle in lacrosse.
    lacrosse_diagram.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's lacrosse. The Denver Outlaws play at Mile High.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wonder if Amos will leave this year, never realised he is older then De Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Spot on. That ground is home to the local Lacrosse team in Denver as well as their NFL team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭KH25

RasTa wrote: »
    I wonder if Amos will leave this year, never realised he is older then De Dea.

He'll never be number 1 with De Gea around. Number 2 would be his best chance but I've no idea if he's good enough for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

284374f558f572ff33.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

United are a different animal under LvG. Rooney, Mata and Welbeck working well together.Young, Cleverly and Valencia as ****e as ever though. Kagawa and Lingard looking well too.

Herrera runs the show in midfield. Big difference when he was subbed off. I hope for our sake a few more defenders are signed. Vlaar, for example, would be a good option because he's used to LvGs back 3 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Sunday Times reports 'Big Brother is watching at United'
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1439499.ece

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Keno wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about how well the three CB's will do playing such a high line in the PL?

Roma were dinking balls over and were getting plenty of space between our defence and the GK to do so. Sooner or later the offside traps will fail.

Its a valid concern but when United play City for example they wouldn't play so high and would take less risks. More likely to utilise counter attacks than leave so much spade in behind.

In the EPL, especially at home against the teams not aiming for the top of the league the high line will allow the midfield to get higher up the field, closer to the attackers and allow better control of possession which should mean more chances and goals. More chances and goals can kill a game off early allowing conservation of energy for future games and so on. It also keeps midfield and defence close together making it hard for opposition players to get between United midfield and defence.

Of course the opposition are likely to counter and can do damage over the top but as we saw in recent times United were vulnerable on the counter anyway with a deeper defence. When teams got between midfield and defence they ran at them and had the defenders running backwards and teams got a lot of goals, West Brom game springs to mind

Maybe LVG thinks it allows better chance of recovery if qhen a ball is played long he has a GK running towards the ball to clear.

If its not played so long that the keeper can't come for it then the forward is going to need to take some touches and three defenders close to the attacker(s) centrally sprinting back to the goal gives a good chance to contain and get the ball back.

• Howdi folks....it's good to be back

Anybody rate Fredy Guarin?

Daily Fail touting a swap deal for Lil P...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Howdi folks....it's good to be back

Anybody rate Fredy Guarin?

Daily Fail touting a swap deal for Lil P...

No. Not at all. Hope it's just daily fail pulling a name out for clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This is only a fan mock-up but I'd love next seasons jersey to be something like this. This is fantastic.

10476332_784124234941179_140370647378656972_o.jpg

^ that looks awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It looks like someone took the Nike jersey and just put Adidas stripes on the sleeves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The whole Vidal thing is getting dragged out to the point I don't really mind if he joins or not, I just want it to be over! Don't get me wrong he's a great player and it would be great if he signed but at this stage I'm sick of seeing every article about United being a Vidal rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is only a fan mock-up but I'd love next seasons jersey to be something like this. This is fantastic.

Looks much better than any home kit I've seen in recent years, hopefully we can expect something along those lines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The whole Vidal thing is getting dragged out to the point I don't really mind if he joins or not, I just want it to be over! Don't get me wrong he's a great player and it would be great if he signed but at this stage I'm sick of seeing every article about United being a Vidal rumour.

My gut is telling me at this stage that most if not all of this 'saga' is rubbish manufactured by 'journalists' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

thelad95 wrote: »

That jersey is dacent ... Looks very classy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I'm delighted with 3-5-2.

One guy up front has a thankless task...two can create havoc.

Two in midfield get overrun - You need three.

And good fullbacks can provide the width and defensive cover.

I love the system.

I'm delighted with 3-5-2.

One guy up front has a thankless task...two can create havoc.

Two in midfield get overrun - You need three.

And good fullbacks can provide the width and defensive cover.

I love the system.

It seems to work alright, the only issue with it is the wingers/wingbacks.... They need to be disciplined and willing to track back in order to make it as effective as it can be, if you can get those spots right then your on a winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭KH25

It seems to work alright, the only issue with it is the wingers/wingbacks.... They need to be disciplined and willing to track back in order to make it as effective as it can be, if you can get those spots right then your on a winner

I think Val and Raf will excel as wing backs. Young can be quite disciplined defensively so he could potentially play brilliantly under the system. Shaw looks comfortable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

4f5377ec62e63f60a1c8ab0b306fb52d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

KH25 wrote: »
    I think Val and Raf will excel as wing backs. Young can be quite disciplined defensively so he could potentially play brilliantly under the system. Shaw looks comfortable so far.

Agree with all that bar Young. He was really poor last night as a wing back and is very half hearted tracking back as an orthodox winger. I think this system will be the beginning of the end of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

RobertKK wrote: »
    No draws allowed , it is straight to penalities

Beat Inter and a draw against RM is all that is needed

Em...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Without going back over all the pages ... summery of what happened last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Em...
    He is correct (although I can understand your confusion). If we beat Inter and then draw in 90 minutes with Real, then even if they win the penalty shootout we still top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While he was Ajax coach he would become annoyed if players did not put used towels in the laundry baskets provided, to the extent that anyone who failed to perform this menial task would have to take the towels home with them and wash them.
    When he was 14, he spent his time alone studying with the coach Rinus Michels.
    Spent no time imposing his methods on the squad when he came to Carrington 11 days ago.
    In LA, United were staying at the Beverly Wilshere hotel. van Gaal wasn't happy with the squad having to make a 25-mile trip four times a day between hotel and the place where he was running twice-daily training sessions, so he had the club book rooms at the Holiday Inn closer to the stadium. Players could eat then sleep at hotel after morning sessions before training in afternoon.
    Asked for same in Washington DC. His logic is that he is determined to maximise every minute with his squad on the inner workings of a technically challenging system. He was angry when training was delayed the day before the match in LA because the team bus was caught up in rush hour traffic.
    Under Mancini, City's players complained they didn't spend enough time on training ground working on 352 formation he briefly introduced with poor results in his last season there. LVG doesn't want the same to happen at United.
    At open training in Denver, LVG had all coaches in matching outfits right down to each wearing black Nike boots (Giggs' boot sponsor Reebok might not have been impressed). He also got staff to go to Denver in advance to ensure dining arrangements were in order.
    LVG insists that senior squad each lunch with coach and academy players at 1pm to give some discipline and team spirit through the club.
    United chef has been run off feet in America catering to LVG's dietary stipulations for the squad. When becoming Holland coach in 2012, he had a floor of the hotel where the Dutch squad stayed refurbished to create a big meeting room (he called it safe haven) with table tennis, card tables and flat-screen tvs.
    Holland team bus was similarly designed before World Cup.
    Most impressed by Evans from the CBs, whose passing and distribution he considers superior to Jones and Smalling.
    LVG wants one/two additional ball-playing centre-backs (one must be left-footed).
    Vermaelen fits the bill and Hummels is another leading target.
    Though LVG likes players to use both feet, he insists on passing drills that balls are hit to individual's preferred foot (Precision, pace, control, awareness the buzzwords).

http://t.co/VnCH4O52vn

srocliffe wrote: »
    He is correct (although I can understand your confusion). If we beat Inter and then draw in 90 minutes with Real, then even if they win the penalty shootout we still top the group.

I think the 'Emmm.....' May have been in reference to us getting anything against Madrid! Player for player they outmatch us in most parts of the pitch!

At the moment, that is!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Joey ‏@JoeyMUFC_ 23h

ManUtd becoming Spanish

Chelsea becoming Brazilian

Arsenal becoming German

Liverpool becoming Southampton

lol

That's class. He really has a refreshing way of approaching the game. Seems like he tried to develop people first and footballers second. Which I know mightnt be what people want but once you get the environment for the 1st bit sorted it remains that way and it can make people more maleable and possibly better set up to take in the lessons.

It just seems so wholesome yet pragmatic. Whether he leaves on bad terms or not I hope the club keeps the structural changes he is implementing.

I think the 'Emmm.....' May have been in reference to us getting anything against Madrid! Player for player they outmatch us in most parts of the pitch!

At the moment, that is!*
    While I don't disagree with your sentiment that it will be difficult to draw, never mind beat Madrid, that definitely wasn't the point he was making, look again at the 2 parts he was bolding from the quoted post, it was definitely the "no draws allowed" vs "draw with RM" he was talking about as 2 apparently contradictory statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

While I don't disagree with your sentiment that it will be difficult to draw, never mind beat Madrid, that definitely wasn't the point he was making, look again at the 2 parts he was bolding from the quoted post, it was definitely the "no draws allowed" vs "draw with RM" he was talking about as 2 apparently contradictory statements.
    Correct.

So the deal is there are differences in points for a penalty loss rather than a straight defeat?

Correct.

So the deal is there are differences in points for a penalty loss rather than a straight defeat?

Yes 3 points for a win in 90 minutes, and 0 points for the team that loses after 90 minutes.

If it is a draw after 90 minutes, then both teams get 1 point, and then the winner of the penalty shootout gets an extra "bonus point", so win on penalties and you would get 2 points and the losing team on penalties would get 1 point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Correct.

Inter got 2 points for beating Real on pens,Madrid got 1 point for losing on pens.

3 points for a win in 90 mins and nothing for the loser.

I'd hate to see that system brought in for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Similar to how the NHL works I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we played as high a line as we did last night against a better team like Barca we would have been punished with inch perfect passes and better timed runs

A 5-3-2 is grand as long as the 3 aren't too high up the field and also you really need a good midfielder in there to control and press especially in our case because Ander and Mata are so attack minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney looks in great shape i am expecting a big season. Finally with Herrera he can stay forward instead of chasing back for the ball. Hope we see him up front beside RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Em...

At the moment, that is!*
    Yes 3 points for a win in 90 minutes, and 0 points for the team that loses after 90 minutes.

If it is a draw after 90 minutes, then both teams get 1 point, and then the winner of the penalty shootout gets an extra "bonus point", so win on penalties and you would get 2 points and the losing team on penalties would get 1 point.
    Inter got 2 points for beating Real on pens,Madrid got 1 point for losing on pens.

3 points for a win in 90 mins and nothing for the loser.

Yes a draw restricts a team to 2 points at most, but a draw cannot happen so there is a penalty shootout.
    So beat Inter and technically a draw will have United top the group.

I wonder what players Real Madrid will use for the United match, their team from last night was beatable.
    First though, need to beat Vidic and Inter - it might be his marry in haste and repent at leisure if we play well.

Lads, it's the back 3s second game playing a back 3. Give them some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Love his absolutely meticulousness down to the minute details.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Obama caused the delay as he was there fundraising for his party. It causes traffic chaos.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Obama caused the delay as he was there fundraising for his party. It causes traffic chaos.

Vote Ron Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rooney looks in great shape i am expecting a big season. Finally with Herrera he can stay forward instead of chasing back for the ball. Hope we see him up front beside RVP.

I agree i've been critical of Rooney this past while, hardly his fault he's been messed around with for far too long, Get him up top and we will see the best of him again, Hopefully he will get 25+ goals this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Happy enough with last night, confidence going into the season will be much better than last season

One thing that ive noticed so far is that our workrate and desire is up, its like a fergie team all over again.

Em...

If u think about it, what he says makes sense. Even losing to real on pens means they only get two points for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement