Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm amazed people spend time working out permutations etc for pre season.

All I want are good performances, couldn't care less if we win or lose too much as long as the performance is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I had a look at the kit in the shop yesterday... It didn't have those holes at the side and doesn't appear to be that kind of fitted sizing...what's the story there...can we buy the actual one the players wear?
    That's what seems to be done with rugby jerseys...a replica for sale at one price and then the proper players jersey for 20quid more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Missed the second half last night. I heard Kagawa played in cm how did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

ericzeking wrote: »
    I had a look at the kit in the shop yesterday... It didn't have those holes at the side and doesn't appear to be that kind of fitted sizing...what's the story there...can we buy the actual one the players wear?
    That's what seems to be done with rugby jerseys...a replica for sale at one price and then the proper players jersey for 20quid more...

You used to be able to get the players version off the Nike official site. The Club Shop doesn't seem to have them. They are wild expensive though. Well over 100 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

ericzeking wrote: »

I think the only way to get the Player Style jerseys are from Nike directly either online or at an outlet (Kildare village), or you could get them from the likes of Yanun in the Online Jersey Stores thread, I've ordered a few and they are great, not to mention €16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I think the only way to get the Player Style jerseys are from Nike directly either online or at an outlet (Kildare village), or you could get them from the likes of Yanun in the Online Jersey Stores thread, I've ordered a few and they are great, not to mention €16.

Hard to get anything out of Yanun atm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanun

That's pretty old man, no offence.

Sorry i don't know how i missed such a popular article, got to get head my head out of the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Missed the second half last night. I heard Kagawa played in cm how did he do?

Mixed bag. Very much the usual kagawa performance on a united jersey. Some nice turns, good passes mixed with misplaced passes and getting caught in possession.

nani, cleverley, Valencia, young and kagawa didn't do themselves any favours last night.

• Advertisement

Mixed bag. Very much the usual kagawa performance on a united jersey. Some nice turns, good passes mixed with misplaced passes and getting caught in possession.

nani, cleverley, Valencia, young and kagawa didn't do themselves any favours last night.

I am not going to start a big debate but from those two Nani and Kagawa have the talent to make an impact this season.

Nani has been constantly injured and Kagawa constantly played out of position.

The other three well surely at this stage LVG realises none of them are good enough.

With the 3-5-2 then i think Kagawa could get some games in his best position and he could have a big season.

I also think he could do a decent job in a 3 man midfield but you would need a defensive midfielder like Carrick beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I don't post in here to often,

While it it a fantastic appointment that we got Van Gaal. It seems the media are picking up on every single atom he produces and turning it into the greatest coaching tactic of all time. United fans are lapping it up. The latest one is that we switched hotels to be closer to the pitch in LA. Its hardly rocket science.

If you think Van Gaal is the messiah and will rise us to beat City and Chelsea, well I got news for you, with that midfield, the lack of defenders for his 3 2 4 1 1 system we wont mount a challenge.

He's a great appointment but if we dont invest we haven't a hope. **** off Woodward with, United are ready to break the transfer record. Just do it already ffs.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am not going to start a big debate but from those two Nani and Kagawa have the talent to make an impact this season.

Nani has been constantly injured and Kagawa constantly played out of position.

The other three well surely at this stage LVG realises none of them are good enough.

With the 3-5-2 then i think Kagawa could get some games in his best position and he could have a big season.

I also think he could do a decent job in a 3 man midfield but you would need a defensive midfielder like Carrick beside him.

Dont want a big debate either, but having the talent means nothing. It's about how a player applies himself on the pitch when he gets the chance.
    Nani has been consistently sh*t for three years. Poor decision making has nothing to do with injuries. He's 28 in a couple of months. 28! Still waiting for him to fulfill his talent.. No thanks. It's time for us to get rid of him.
    Honest question to all Nani lovers: at what age will you all finally give up on this dream that he's a world class player? 30? 32? 33? 35?

Kagawa is a different kettle of fish. If we're to get the best out of him, the manager has to bite the bullet and play him consistently in the centre. The problem is, he's not really good enough for central midfield. Herrera has now taken that spot. And Rooney and Mata are ahead of him in the pecking order to play off the striker.

Valencia got an earful from LVG during the water break in the first half. So hopefully the manager is already seeing his limitations.
    Cleverley and Young aren't United quality. End of.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I don't post in here to often,

While it it a fantastic appointment that we got Van Gaal. It seems the media are picking up on every single atom he produces and turning it into the greatest coaching tactic of all time. United fans are lapping it up. The latest one is that we switched hotels to be closer to the pitch in LA. Its hardly rocket science.

If you think Van Gaal is the messiah and will rise us to beat City and Chelsea, well I got news for you, with that midfield, the lack of defenders for his 3 2 4 1 1 system we wont mount a challenge.

He's a great appointment but if we dont invest we haven't a hope. **** off Woodward with, United are ready to break the transfer record. Just do it already ffs.

Have to agree with this sentiment. LVG is a top, top manager. But you can't expect him to work miracles. He's not a footballing witch doctor who can turn mediocre players into good players - injury prone players into supermen - old players into young players.

We won't be able to compete with City, Arsenal and Chelsea over the course of a full season with one good central midfielder (Herrera).
    And the options at the back are very limited. Jones and Evans are injury prone and we don't have proper back up. Rafeal already injured (big surprise) and no real back up there. No experienced back up at left full either.

There's obviously a problem at the club in terms of transfer policy. I don't know where the problem lies, but I do feel it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

[QUOTE

There's obviously a problem at the club in terms of transfer policy. I don't know where the problem lies, but I do feel it exists.[/QUOTE]

When you think of WORLD CLASS PLAYERS, we haven't really signed anyone in that category in the last few years. Veron was the last player from abroad that really blew me away when we signed him

If you threw the same money we are paying Rooney we should easily be able to attract world class players. Thats why Woodward IMO is a coont.

When you think of WORLD CLASS PLAYERS, we haven't really signed anyone in that category in the last few years. Veron was the last player from abroad that really blew me away when we signed him

If you threw the same money we are paying Rooney we should easily be able to attract world class players. Thats why Woodward IMO is a coont.

I think RVP and Mata were outstanding signings. Herrera was a very solid signing too. But for a club of our size, popularity, success and wealth it's very disappointing at the end of most transfer windows.

I know most are advocating patience and that there are players in the pipeline and we'll get them, but I would be a little more cynical.

And if it is indeed Woodward or the Glazers that are screwing up potential signings, then it's only a matter of time now before it's out in the open. Louis Van Gaal will speak up if he feels someone else is making him look bad. That's one thing you can be sure of. He wasn't afraid to do it at Bayern. He won't have any fear in doing at Old Trafford.

Balague is claiming that Di Maria is quoted as saying "to go from this Madrid team to that United team is insulting".

Sure it doesn't matter if he thinks that. Woody said we have the money to get the best players in the world.

Don't you know that it's talk and not action that counts??? Duh!!

:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah yeah, but playing without a goalkeeper would be risky for any manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Honest question to all Nani lovers: at what age will you all finally give up on this dream that he's a world class player? 30? 32? 33? 35?

Its got nothing to do with age, its the fact that he has not had a run of games in 3 years.

Give Nani 35 games just like that clod Valencia gets every season and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Balague is claiming that Di Maria is quoted as saying "to go from this Madrid team to that United team is insulting".

If true and that's a big if since Ballbag is involved, I can be mature about this and say nothing.

No I can't, I wish him nothing but misery at PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If true then so be it, we move on, he may well be left in Madrid warming the bench this season so his opinion may change pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

There's 8 million reasons why i wouldn't believe anything Ballague says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »
    If true and that's a big if since Ballbag is involved, I can be mature about this and say nothing.

No I can't, I wish him nothing but misery at PSG.
    dahat wrote: »
    If true then so be it, we move on, he may well be left in Madrid warming the bench this season so his opinion may change pretty quick.

Actually i cant find anything about it on his own page so looks like somebody made it up. Ignore it, apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Actually i cant find anything about it on his own page so looks like somebody made it up. Ignore it, apologies

Theres a bogus balague account on Twitter. Jokes about all clubs on it, most not funny.

Uses same profile picture so easy to read as legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone else actually think we will sign a world class player like Di Maria? Where would he fit in if we did? TBH I think we are pretty much finished in this window bar signing a defender like Vermaelen. Its the same every Summer transfer window. The hype and rumour mill cranks up about signing top top players and then the club flatters to achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Its got nothing to do with age, its the fact that he has not had a run of games in 3 years.

Give Nani 35 games just like that clod Valencia gets every season and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Nonsense. (Why is it all the rage these days to suggest game time cures all for all players?:rolleyes:)

Nani's problems are in his head and no amount of game time is going to stop him being a head-less-chicken most of the time. I think he may even be beyond the powers of the Iron Tulip but we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Condescension back with a bang on the thread.

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone else actually think we will sign a world class player like Di Maria? Where would he fit in if we did? TBH I think we are pretty much finished in this window bar signing a defender like Vermaelen. Its the same every Summer transfer window. The hype and rumour mill cranks up about signing top top players and then the club flatters to achieve

I still hold on to hope, but it's nothing more than hope. Di Maria would obviously be a big signing, but he isn't exactly what we need right now.

I tend to agree that our transfer activity is done, bar one centre half. Maybe Vermealen. But we're gonna have our pants pulled down on that one.

Depressing if it does play out that way. And I don't think we'll have enough to regain champions league if we go in with the current squad plus Vermealen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Di Maria/Vidal/Hummels... no-one knows if they'll be signed, it's all just guesswork. But I would be amazed if the transfer business is over.
    Ferguson was operating under budget constraints he wouldn't admit to.
    Moyes was overwhelmed. He came in late, wanted to make a marquee signing, didn't have a backup plan and ended up with Fellaini :rolleyes: But even dead-in-the-water Moyes was given over £30m to spend on Mata, and had the authority to push along the transfers of Shaw and Herrera.
    So now, Van Gaal.
    He's been in the door a wet week and has had training pitches torn up, put down a marker about tours next year, and said he needs more defenders. He also said he wants to take 2/3 weeks to look at the existing squad before buying anyone else. The money is there, we know. The manager isn't going to take any ****, we know. Transfer window doesn't close for another five weeks, and we're still a week away from the time when LVG said he'd know what he needs to buy.
    Could people please stop panicking because the club isn't sending out press releases every day talking about who they'd like to buy?

went through the whole access request process just for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

RayCun wrote: »

It was worth it.:)

RayCun wrote: »
    Di Maria/Vidal/Hummels... no-one knows if they'll be signed, it's all just guesswork. But I would be amazed if the transfer business is over.
    Ferguson was operating under budget constraints he wouldn't admit to.
    Moyes was overwhelmed. He came in late, wanted to make a marquee signing, didn't have a backup plan and ended up with Fellaini :rolleyes: But even dead-in-the-water Moyes was given over £30m to spend on Mata, and had the authority to push along the transfers of Shaw and Herrera.
    So now, Van Gaal.
    He's been in the door a wet week and has had training pitches torn up, put down a marker about tours next year, and said he needs more defenders. He also said he wants to take 2/3 weeks to look at the existing squad before buying anyone else. The money is there, we know. The manager isn't going to take any ****, we know. Transfer window doesn't close for another five weeks, and we're still a week away from the time when LVG said he'd know what he needs to buy.
    Could people please stop panicking because the club isn't sending out press releases every day talking about who they'd like to buy?

Good luck to shifting top players after the season starts. (less than 3 weeks away)

I do hope you're right, though. I really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hummels is not signing for United, unless we stump up £35+ million and i cant see us doing that.

vermaelen is our lot but looks like Arsenal are delaying it or else its an injury. Eitherway its very poor that weve known for 6 months that our number 1 center back was leaving yet we have not replaced him with the season less than 3 weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zico wrote: »
    Nonsense. (Why is it all the rage these days to suggest game time cures all for all players?:rolleyes:)

When Nani got a consistent run of games, he produced. You work it out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

It was worth it.:)

It definitely was worth it, great first post, we need more like it, far too much doom and gloom in here, what happened last year seems to have totally scarred some posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Nani's problems are in his head

Nail on the head. End of discussion!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Van Gaal will make the necessary signings before the season starts. I don't doubt that for a minute.

It would also be remiss of him to prejudge the likes of Cleverley, Young, Anderson and Nani. But having seen that they're dross, I expect him to sanction moves for the right players.

I'm more trigger happy than most when it comes to freaking out about United, but we all need to calm down...Louis has got this.

srocliffe wrote: »
    It definitely was worth it, great first post, we need more like it, far too much doom and gloom in here, what happened last year seems to have totally scarred some posters

What happened last year can happen again if we don't get the right players in.

Rafeal, Carrick, Jones and Evans all get injured (two of them are currently injured - The other two get injured all the f**king time)

DDG

Valencia----Smalling----Keane
    Shaw

Fellaini----Herrera---Cleverley

Mata
    RVP
    Rooney

Sorry, but that team will get torn to shreds by any of the top 6 or 7 in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Nani's problems are in his head and no amount of game time is going to stop him being a head-less-chicken most of the time. I think he may even be beyond the powers of the Iron Tulip but we'll see what happens.
    Nani and Valencia's goals and assists for the last 2 years is pretty much the same, despite Valencia making 84 appearances in that time to Nani's 34, which I think is kind of the point he was trying to make.

The people that are suggesting that game time for Nani would help him out a lot are doing so because, aside from the obvious reason that any player needs consistent game time to show a bit of form and consistancy, but also because Nani has proven in the past that when played he can be devastating.

He will always be prone to some level of error that is the nature of his game, but that error is significantly reduced when he is played for regular spells.
    Plus, I would much rather see Nani lose the ball a couple of times a game while also creating chances for himself and his teammates because he is trying something different, as opposed to Valencia not losing the ball because he trys nothing but turning around passing it to the right back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You do realise Nani has already proven your point to be total horseshít?

What happened last year can happen again if we don't get the right players in.

Rafeal, Carrick, Jones and Evans all get injured (two of them are currently injured - The other two get injured all the f**king time)

DDG

Valencia----Smalling----Keane
    Shaw

Fellaini----Herrera---Cleverley

Mata
    RVP
    Rooney

Sorry, but that team will get torn to shreds by any of the top 6 or 7 in the PL.

I think you've misunderstood, what those of us with more positive outlook believe, is that there will 100% be more signings this window, LVG is no fool he will make sure that happens.

Even if, in the unlikely event that there are no further signings, we have IMO a much better manager and better first team than finished the season last year, so I would still be confident of top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Juventus apparently getting Romolou from Vernon, more spending....... They are selling, I feel it.

Vidal is on the way and if so it is the greatest bluff by the club ever.

I think you've misunderstood, what those of us with more positive outlook believe, is that there will 100% be more signings this window, LVG is no fool he will make sure that happens.

Even if, in the unlikely event that there are no further signings, we have IMO a much better manager and better first team than finished the season last year, so I would still be confident of top 4.

I didn't misunderstand. I said "if the right players aren't brought in".

I admire your confidence in VanGaal.

dahat wrote: »
    Juventus apparently getting Romolou from Vernon, more spending....... They are selling, I feel it.

Vidal is on the way and if so it is the greatest bluff by the club ever.

If it happened I'd be harder than the pitch the lads had to play on last night. :D

I didn't misunderstand. I said "if the right players aren't brought in".

I admire your confidence in VanGaal.

I guess I'm struggling to understand your pessimism, but I guess maybe I'm positive by nature.
    I honestly don't believe my confidence in the new manager is unfounded, it's confidence based on both the belief that he will bring more players in if he believes we need them (which I'm sure he does) and also that he will get much better performances out of the players than Moyes did, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I guess I'm struggling to understand your pessimism, but I guess maybe I'm positive by nature.
    I honestly don't believe my confidence in the new manager is unfounded, it's confidence based on both the belief that he will bring more players in if he believes we need them (which I'm sure he does) and also that he will get much better performances out of the players than Moyes did, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm certain he'll get more out of them than Moyes did. But that doesn't mean a title charge or CL qualification. And it's one thing identifying targets two weeks before the season starts, it's another thing entirely getting them to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A few of the Italian papers are saying Pogba is close to signing a new 5 year deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I'm sorry but any number of media outlets are reporting that Vidal is on the verge of signing for United.

I am a believer...Arturo Vidal will be a United player by next weekend.

I'm certain he'll get more out of them than Moyes did. But that doesn't mean a title charge or CL qualification. And it's one thing identifying targets two weeks before the season starts, it's another thing entirely getting them to sign.

Even I amn't positive enough in nature to believe a title charge is a realistic possibility this coming season, but I do believe we will get top 4.

Maybe I'm deluded, but to me, last season was an aberration and was as bad as things could possibly go with that set of players, we've made 2 very good signings this window that are improvements on what we had last season.

Our problems last year were generally not in defence, it was a lack of goals compared to previous seasons that was the main difference, our goals against total was comparable to Fergie's final season.

I've already seen some very encouraging signs in our first 2 pre season matches, but I guess only time will tell if my positivity is unfounded.

I'm sorry but any number of media outlets are reporting that Vidal is on the verge of signing for United.

I am a believer...Arturo Vidal will be a United player by next weekend.

Sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd say most of the Dutch team would be happy to sign for LVG, so - if he wants them - he could sign Blind and De Vrij at least, probably De Jong too. I'd hope/expect a bigger name as well, but I'm confident there'll be cover in those positions at least...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement