Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

was reading about how real madrid have earned €31 million back from the sale of Rodriguez jersey's alone which is incredible, surely signing Vidal (not saying we will) would see a similar amount of money recouped or is it a different system in spain. so would it be a bad thing to pay a few million more for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hococop wrote: »
    was reading about how real madrid have earned €31 million back from the sale of Rodriguez jersey's alone which is incredible, surely signing Vidal (not saying we will) would see a similar amount of money recouped or is it a different system in spain. so would it be a bad thing to pay a few million more for him?

Rvp had something similar last year also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sources

Nearly all of them are crediting each other, and link back to a single journalist reporting this morning.

Now, the guy who did report it this morning has built up some cred over the last week, but it will take more than 5 sites all reporting the one line to convince me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If we signed Vidal and Hummels would we be instant title contenders or do we need more?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If we signed Vidal and Hummels would we be instant title contenders or do we need more?

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

I don't think a title challenge is realistic this season, no matter who we sign, LVG needs to be given time, top 4 this season and a title challenge the following season in my view.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    What do you think?

Yes I do, we would have the best strikers, the best number 10, the best central midfielder and one of the best defenders in the league and most importantly a proper manager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Might as well be talking about messi and ronaldo in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Adidas have apparently given all shirt sales money from James to Madrid to help offset the transfer fee.

This Vidal saga is torture.

Not sure if wed be favourites but Id be much more confident of winning the league with them 2 than i am right now.

They are the type of signings needed to take us up a level, prob wud need one more cb also who cud cover lb also.

Why are we signing them too?

Why are we signing them too?

There as likely to be playing for United as hummels is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,704 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has VG picked a captain yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Would nike have any obligation to give anything from vidal sales considering they are finished up this year though? Adidas are just keeping good faith with madrid id imagine to keep the endorsement going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

srocliffe wrote: »
    I don't think a title challenge is realistic this season, no matter who we sign, LVG needs to be given time, top 4 this season and a title challenge the following season in my view.

Why not?

Pellegrini was able to do it.

Mourinho was able to do it (in a season where he also signed a number of "first teamers").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has VG picked a captain yet?

Nope, but we assume it's going to be Van Persie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I gave up on it a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

That's absolute nonsense though. Real Madrid sell about 1.4M jerseys per year. Add to that the cut that Adidas and the retailer gets plus on top of the cost of making the jersey. Let's say they sell for €85 so including everybody's cut including taxes lets assume that they get €55 a jersey (unlikely to even be that high). That would mean Real Madrid would have sold 565,000 shirts in less than a week. Unlikely to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Oddly I'm not finding it half as bad as some of the previous ones like Sneijder, maybe I just consciously didn't buy into it as much this time but it was probably more so because the world cup was there to fill the major void in the off-season when literally nothing is happening. Like the season ended, then there was world cup build-up, then the world cup, then one/two weeks of nothing, now it's pre-season. So the transfer merry-go-round hasn't been the number one story half as much this Summer.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Oddly I'm not finding it half as bad as some of the previous ones like Sneijder, maybe I just consciously didn't buy into it as much this time but it was probably more so because the world cup was there to fill the major void in the off-season when literally nothing is happening. Like the season ended, then there was world cup build-up, then the world cup, then one/two weeks of nothing, now it's pre-season. So the transfer merry-go-round hasn't been the number one story half as much this Summer.

considering the need for major top quality investment this summer that we are all waiting for, its worst than the other sagas in my opinion. this summer was due to be the most important in the clubs history and so far its been underwhelming - any saga like this is going to be torturous.

at least in previous years we had CL football and the likes of Vidic, Rio, Evra even scholes at the top of their games to keep us ticking over. right now, our squad is at its weakest its been for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

considering the need for major top quality investment this summer that we are all waiting for, its worst than the other sagas in my opinion. this summer was due to be the most important in the clubs history and so far its been underwhelming - any saga like this is going to be torturous.

at least in previous years we had CL football and the likes of Vidic, Rio, Evra even scholes at the top of their games to keep us ticking over. right now, our squad is at its weakest its been for many years.

I'll start to feel your pessimism if we have the same squad four days before the first league game. There will be players coming in, I don't know if it will be Vidal and Co. but I'm confident of at least 2 more quality signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd be very disappointed if we don't get another quality CM before the Summer is over and a centre half.

But in terms of specific player sagas, I just haven't got as worked up about Vidal, probably because of what I said earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'll start to feel your pessimism if we have the same squad four days before the first league game.

You don't have long to wait anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Sorry i don't know how i missed such a popular article, got to get head my head out of the clouds.

No need to bite the head off. Pretty sure it was in the utd thread when the phils jones faces started appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Why not?

Pellegrini was able to do it.

Mourinho was able to do it (in a season where he also signed a number of "first teamers").

In both those cases they took over a team that had finished second the previous season, not seventh. I just think seventh to first is too big a jump in one season. I'll be very happy with top 4 and back in Champions league, with hopefully a good run in the cups as a successful first season for Van Gaal.

However I would be expecting us to be challenging for the title the following season.

Few things on this jersey sale malarkey.

1 that would probably be the gross, not what the club gets.
    31 Million seems huge so far, I'd need to see a source.
    Even selling 31 M worth of James jerseys isnt making 31M back on James, most of those jerseys would have been bought anyway.

Par example, I bought 2 jerseys last week, one Kagawa one Mata. I didnt buy them because of the players, I bought the jersey regardless and if we didnt have those lads I would have got nani and januzaj or something.

The money "made" on jersey sales is often used to justify the signings of players but unless you are supporting the player or follow them more than the club most of the time they dont contribute hugely to jersey sales in total.
    A portion of the jersey sales are clearly attributable to players and for some players that number can be high but I'd be surprised if it rises above 50% for any player in a top side. (Exceptions to the 50% and less rule is a big player at a small club like maybe larsson at celtic or psg/monaco players where the clubs dont have big followings relative to the players)

Edit: also this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91461610&postcount=1873

• Advertisement

Ah the 2 2 6 formation, could work, I'd like to see it tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Nope, their joining liverpool sure,after they wrap up the vidal and pogba deals.

glued wrote: »
    That's absolute nonsense though. Real Madrid sell about 1.4M jerseys per year. Add to that the cut that Adidas and the retailer gets plus on top of the cost of making the jersey. Let's say they sell for €85 so including everybody's cut including taxes lets assume that they get €55 a jersey (unlikely to even be that high). That would mean Real Madrid would have sold 565,000 shirts in less than a week. Unlikely to say the least.

widely reported that 345,000 jerseys were sold by friday, less than 48 hours after he signed. That was €25.3 worth of sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,599 ✭✭✭✭CSF

widely reported that 345,000 jerseys were sold by friday, less than 48 hours after he signed. That was €25.3 worth of sales.

Do you believe it though? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Wish the megastore ****up was after we knew what squad number Ander was.

1st world problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's Madrid propaganda. They always come out with these numbers post signing players to justify their insane spending. The whole recouping transfer fee's through shirt sales has been debunked on this thread many times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have a few reasons why I'm wishing the next month or two away. I have a big thing coming up soon. Can't wait for the weather to cool down. Can't wait for McGregors next fight. Can't wait for the new iphone. But most of all I just want the transfer window to be over. I'm over it now. If anyone has been to the future throw up some spoilers please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

GSPfan wrote: »
    I have a few reasons why I'm wishing the next month or two away. I have a big thing coming up soon. Can't wait for the weather to cool down. Can't wait for McGregors next fight. Can't wait for the new iphone. But most of all I just want the transfer window to be over. I'm over it now. If anyone has been to the future throw up some spoilers please.

Average weather temps keeps warming. McGregor keeps kicking a**. iphone9 a huge disappointment and Man Utd win the league and four cups 2015/16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't know why people are saying we can't challenge for the title. We are a defensive mid and centre back away from being a fantastic team. I'm sure LVG isn't thinking that just getting top 4 is good enough. No doubt he will want to win the title in his first year. I'm not saying we will, but to rule it out is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Eathrin wrote: »
    I don't know why people are saying we can't challenge for the title. We are a defensive mid and centre back away from being a fantastic team. I'm sure LVG isn't thinking that just getting top 4 is good enough. No doubt he will want to win the title in his first year. I'm not saying we will, but to rule it out is silly.

I would think Citee and Chelsea will still be ahead of United even if United buy another CM and 2 CBs.

Chelsea, especially, have a squad to cope with injuries, whereas United would be weakened again if one or two of the new (yet to happen) signings get injured or fail to settle. Then you're returning to your Fletchers and Cleverlys etc.

I think Chelsea are ahead of the pack at the moment. They already had a strong squad and addressed their weaknesses in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would think Citee and Chelsea will still be ahead of United even if United buy another CM and 2 CBs.

Chelsea especially have a squad to cope with injuries, whereas United would be weakened again if one or two of the new (yet to happen) signings get injured or fail to settle. Then you're returning to your Fletchers and Cleverlys etc.

I think Chelsea are ahead of the pack at the moment. They already had a strong squad and addressed their weaknesses in the summer.

They didn't address all of them.....

Torres is still at the club. :P

I'm pretty sure after he missed another open goal this evening, that they would like to stick him in a parcel and address it to Antarctica!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Kirby wrote: »
    They didn't address all of them.....

Torres is still at the club. :P

Ha, who'd have him..... :)

We still stuck with Anderson, some players you couldn't give away!!

Looks like De Vrij has agreed a move to Lazio. Thought he would have been a good signing for us.

Lot of reports saying we've put in a new bid for Vidal. I think this saga will end very soon. One way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Chelsea, especially, have a squad to cope with injuries, whereas United would be weakened again if one or two of the new (yet to happen) signings get injured or fail to settle. Then you're returning to your Fletchers and Cleverlys etc.

City can but I doubt Chelsea can. Injury to Costa and they are back to square one. Striker who can't score goals. Injury to Matic or Fabregas they are back to playing Mikel in the team or Ramires which is same as last season.

It's same for every club unless you sign 2 or 3 players for the same position.

• Advertisement

Kristof Terreur @HLNinEngeland
    De Telegraaf: 'Stefan de Vrij will sign for Lazio Roma'. Transfer fee: €8,5m. Feyenoord and Lazio have reached an agreement. #MUFC

6.8 Million pounds. Would have been a very low risk signing. Should have signed him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Kristof Terreur @HLNinEngeland

6.8 Million pounds. Would have been a very low risk signing. Should have signed him IMO.

could have turned out to be another average squad player- which arguably Evans, Jones and Smalling are - if we are signing defenders (and we should) they need to be an immediate and obvious upgrade on the players we already have in that position, and based on what I saw at the WC De Vrij doesn't fit the bill, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

zerks wrote: »

Excellent...nothing like a game spent watching Tom Cleverley in action to spur a manager into action.

could have turned out to be another average squad player- which arguably Evans, Jones and Smalling are - if we are signing defenders (and we should) they need to be an immediate and obvious upgrade on the players we already have in that position, and based on what I saw at the WC De Vrij doesn't fit the bill, imo.

He was excellent in the world cup in the 3 man defense. Not sure how that is not fitting the bill.

There might be exceptions where players who played superbly in WC and turning out to be flops for clubs but I can form opinion only from what I have seen and he was excellent in every single game for Netherlands in the world cup.

Vlaar got all the plaudits and rightly so for his defending but for me Vrij was their best CB and arguably the most impressive CB in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Maybe I'm being naive but I think it could be a good thing we didn't sign him. LVG knows him, he is solid and you have to assume attainable. The fact we didn't go for him might lead us to believe he has his eyes on a stronger more established CB. I know he said he wanted to wait 2/3 weeks but he is hardly going to let a target move in that window.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement