Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

20 days until we kick off the new season... Plenty of days for a few quality signings to go through if the cogs are already in motion - fully expect a good signing this week, without one I'll be very disappointed and a bit fearful of what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You can't be disappointed we didn't move for De Vrij lads, nobody will have known him better than LVG and he didn't feel the need to make a move, so he clearly wasn't ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    City can but I doubt Chelsea can. Injury to Costa and they are back to square one.

Chelsea have badly mismanaged their strikers but they certainly do have quality there. They have Demba Ba, Eto, Drogba and Lukaku never mind Torres and Costa, there are a lot of clubs would love to have those options. Losing Costa would not be anything like the blow of us losing Herrara or any of our five senior defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Chelsea have badly mismanaged their strikers but they certainly do have quality there. They have Demba Ba, Eto, Drogba and Lukaku never mind Torres and Costa, there are a lot of clubs would love to have those options. Losing Costa would not be anything like the blow of us losing Herrara or any of our five senior defenders.

No they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ba & Eto'o are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ba & Eto'o are gone.

Really, when did that happen? Out of contract?

Really, when did that happen? Out of contract?

Eto'o out of contract , Ba to Beskitas last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It was floating around here during the WC that de Vrij to United was already signed, sealed and delivered. How long will it take the rags to run with "LvG pulls the plug last minute on de Vrij deal"?

All my hard work teaching TheDoc how to spell it correctly and all. :'( - You can only assume we're in for some CB. Van Gaal is complaining about his lack of players for defence and midfield, so I just can't see the window closing without more players coming in. Blind seems like an ideal fit, but who knows? Vermaelen and Hummels too, although those rumours seem to have died down a little it seems?

I also read that Strootman is being valued at 79 million pounds! :rolleyes:
    Manchester United have been told they will have to pay £79m for Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman, 24, despite the Dutchman being sidelined with a cruciate knee ligament injury since March. Sun (subscription required)

Also,
    Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, 26, wants to join Manchester United as the £45m-rated Argentina international does not want to return to the Bernabeu and is frustrated by Paris St-Germain's attempts to secure a loan deal. Daily Star

and
    However, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti expects Di Maria to be back at the European champions on 5 August. AS
    Meanwhile, the transfer of Di Maria from Real Madrid to PSG could be announced next week in a £51m deal. Marca

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

They haven't a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lukaku looks certain to leave as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You can't be disappointed we didn't move for De Vrij lads, nobody will have known him better than LVG and he didn't feel the need to make a move, so he clearly wasn't ready.

Let's hope he isn't signed on the last day of the transfer window for £4m more than he'd have cost this week.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

From Sky Sports - http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/
    Reports from Italy in Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Arturo Vidal’s agent is due to hold talks with Juventus officials to discuss Manchester United’s interest in the Chile international. The Premier League club are said to have tabled a 60million euros offer for Vidal and are ready to offer him a four-year deal at Old Trafford, although Juve remain determined to keep one of their star men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Like few have mentioned, Ba and Eto'o are gone, rumors are that Lukaku is also leaving. So they are left with Drogba, Costa and Torres. If Costa is injured then they have Drogba and Torres to rely on which is just like previous seasons. Tbf they have done reasonably well with that strike force but I don't see them as title contenders without Costa.

Also I forgot to mention Schurrle can also play as striker but not sure how good he is as lone striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

€60M is £47M plus. So what was all the £32M or £30M and Nani sh*te talk during the WC?

Vidal is one of those type of signings that will make me smile, would love to see him and Mata link up. However my gut feeling is the papers really have no clue and I would not be surprised if United have no interest in signing the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Vidal is worth his weight in gold. I don't give a damn what we spend to get him. He is the player we NEED.
    Great tackler, hard worker off the ball, can pick forward passes, good engine and an eye for goal.

But most importantly, he will provide leadership from the midfield. Something that's been lacking for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give them 60 million and say no more.

Hope the interest is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Strootman at €100 came from a loose comment by Roma manager, likely being tormented by journos on whether Strootman is staying or going.

Rafael has been sent home.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28520579
    The Brazilian suffered the problem during training in Denver on Friday ahead of the 3-2 win against AS Roma.

In Rafael's absence, Antonio Valencia started in the right wing-back role, with Ashley Young taking over in the second-half.

United open their Premier League campaign against Swansea at Old Trafford on 16 August.

"As he was unlikely to participate in the remaining tour games, returning to the training complex affords the best overall option for his recovery in time to continue pre-season preparation when the team returns," said a United statement on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Massive bluff by the club if it is, really fits with the theory that English media are being kept at arms length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It was floating around here during the WC that de Vrij to United was already signed, sealed and delivered. How long will it take the rags to run with "LvG pulls the plug last minute on de Vrij deal"?

All my hard work teaching TheDoc how to spell it correctly and all. :'( - You can only assume we're in for some CB. Van Gaal is complaining about his lack of players for defence and midfield, so I just can't see the window closing without more players coming in. Blind seems like an ideal fit, but who knows? Vermaelen and Hummels too, although those rumours seem to have died down a little it seems?

I also read that Strootman is being valued at 79 million pounds! :rolleyes:

Also,

and

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

They haven't a clue!

About 2% of all transfer "news" that is published anywhere has an inkling of truth in it. The rest is made up on the spot.
    The 2% that are truthful are generally the ones from the clubs officially announcing the transfer as being complete........

• Advertisement

Interestingly, the BBC lists the first team squad as:

Manchester United Squad

Goalkeepers
    1 de Gea
    13 Lindegaard
    40 Amos
    50 Johnstone

Defenders
    2 Rafael
    4 Jones
    6 Evans
    12 Smalling
    30 Varela
    38 Keane
    Shaw
    James
    Blackett

Midfielders
    8 Mata
    16 Carrick
    17 Nani
    18 Young
    23 Cleverley
    24 Fletcher
    25 A Valencia
    26 Kagawa
    29 Zaha
    31 Fellaini
    32 Powell
    35 Lingard
    44 Januzaj
    Anderson
    Herrera

Forwards
    10 Rooney
    14 Hernández
    19 Welbeck
    20 van Persie
    21 Henríquez
    34 Lawrence
    47 Wilson
    48 Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Interestingly, the BBC lists the first team squad as:

Manchester United Squad
    What is interesting about that?

What is interesting about that?

Wouldn't consider quite a few of those players as first team or anything like it. Squad looks very thin if you remove the Keanes, Henriques, Velera, Lawrence, Wilson, Johnston, James, Blackett, Powell, Lingard, Anderson.

I'm all for giving the young lads a chance, but I can't seem all of them playing next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rafael news is really disappointing, brings home the need for investment for a good back up option there.

We are already screwed for numbers in defence, this makes it worst.with Carrick out, thats 2 players from already weak starting 11 injured 2 weeks into preseason.

Wouldn't consider quite a few of those players as first team or anything like it. Squad looks very thin if you remove the Keanes, Henriques, Velera, Lawrence, Wilson, Johnston, James, Blackett, Powell, Lingard, Anderson.

I'm all for giving the young lads a chance, but I can't seem all of them playing next season.

They're only listed there because they've been given a squad number or are on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

With so much other stuff going on, I'd almost forgotten Rafael was made of glass.

Wait till LVG looks at his injury history.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rafael is far too brittle, he seems to be getting worse as he gets older.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm of the same opinion. Ed said that the cash is there and we are very lucky that we don't seemingly have any competition for his signing. Give Juve £47 million and begin a clearout to recouperate some of the cash. I think it's painfully obvious that Fellaini is not going to have a place under LVG, even after just two games. Cleverly is probably safe until Christmas given the injury to Carrick. Young/Nani are wingers, and although both could also play No10 at a push, they just do not fit into the new system.

I'm cool as a breeze about Vidal - he'll sign or he won't. I am pertty certain that in 12 months time, with a full season and 2 further transfer windows behind us, we will be looking at a squad oozing with quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Actually really excited to have Mata playing centrally behind two strikers this season, if he is allowed a run of games there he will be awesome for us once he builds a proper understanding with RVP and Rooney, that front three will really have oppostions afraid, heres hoping they can all stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

My return to the thread surely signals the signing of at least 3 signings in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Would love to get a solid answer on Vidal today, yes or no just be done with it already and move on.

• Advertisement

Would love to get a solid answer on Vidal today, yes or no just be done with it already and move on.

no-power.gif

ElChe32 wrote: »
    My return to the thread surely signals the signing of at least 3 signings in the next 2 weeks.

Whatever about your return, I would be surprised if LVG wasn't demanding that some targets be brought in for the return to Carrington a week from now - and with the home game vs Valencia on the 12th I can see United wanting to use that as a debut for a star or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No.

There you go, you can take that to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No.

There you go, you can take that to the bank.

You're too kind Maximus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes, No, Maybe, I dont know. Can you repeat the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

:P

BrP4maNIEAAacTu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

could have turned out to be another average squad player- which arguably Evans, Jones and Smalling are - if we are signing defenders (and we should) they need to be an immediate and obvious upgrade on the players we already have in that position, and based on what I saw at the WC De Vrij doesn't fit the bill, imo.

We have 3 senior defenders with a manager who wants to play 3 at the back and 2 of them are injury prone. De Vrij would cost nothing and would be an extra body who is also used to playing the system.

I don't know what world cup you watched if you think De Vrij didn't fit the bill. HE was fantastic and is only young i am pissed off we didn't sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I think United are looking better now in Pre session but.......

im looking forward to Van Gaals players coming in who are bought just for the system he wants to implement

Then we should see drastic improvement within the team

Nuts102 wrote: »
    We have 3 senior defenders with a manager who wants to play 3 at the back and 2 of them are injury prone. De Vrij would cost nothing and would be an extra body who is also used to playing the system.

I don't know what world cup you watched if you think De Vrij didn't fit the bill. HE was fantastic and is only young i am pissed off we didn't sign him.
    didn't think he looked comfortable on the ball.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy defenders, i'm saying MAYBE it is the right call not to sign De Vrij, that I think Smalling/Jones/Evans can be as good as him, and any CBs brought in should be an immediate, obvious and significant upgrade on the centre backs we already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

n51f179928911a.jpg
    advertsfox wrote: »
    :P

BrP4maNIEAAacTu.jpg

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy defenders, i'm saying MAYBE it is the right call not to sign De Vrij, that I think Smalling/Jones/Evans can be as good as him, and any CBs brought in should be an immediate, obvious and significant upgrade on the centre backs we already have.

I'm not sure you looked at the right player. He is extremely comfortable on the ball, that's his best asset.

This is the stat I posted few days ago. IIRC he has completed more dribbles than anyone among CBs.

BsZ9K9-CUAAM6kB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    City can but I doubt Chelsea can. Injury to Costa and they are back to square one. Striker who can't score goals. Injury to Matic or Fabregas they are back to playing Mikel in the team or Ramires which is same as last season.

It's same for every club unless you sign 2 or 3 players for the same position.

Costa, Drogba and Schurrle not too bad for striking options though?

Ramires, Matic and Fabregas for two of the midfield places is better than United too. Mikel is muck alrite.

If you were combining a Chelsea/ United team what would people pick?

Personally I'd have maybe Shaw in defence, maybe Herrera in midfield but other than that I'd struggle to get another United player in and then strikers you could pick two from RVP, Rooney, Costa.

Who are these players who can be got that are a significant upgrade. I am happy to give Jones and Smalling a chance this season and get in some competition.

De Vrij and Vlaar know the system very well and would cost peanuts. I would be happy with Jones, Evans, Smalling, De Vrij, Vlaar and Keane as our options.

Ramires, Matic and Fabregas for two of the midfield places is better than united too. Mikel is muck alrite.

Personally I'd have maybe Shaw in defence, maybe Herrera in midfield but other than that I'd struggle to get another united player in and then strikers you could pick two from RVP, Rooney, Costa.

Mata would walk into the Chelsea team if it was any other manager besides Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Vidal update! :pac:
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 3m
    Vidal UPDATE from TMW: He's having lunch with his teammates. He'll then have his knee checked out.

Has to be the most ridiculous saga at this stage. We're getting updates about when the man is eating now.

Ramires, Matic and Fabregas for two of the midfield places is better than United too. Mikel is muck alrite.

Personally I'd have maybe Shaw in defence, maybe Herrera in midfield but other than that I'd struggle to get another United player in and then strikers you could pick two from RVP, Rooney, Costa.

Not sure if you read earlier post, it's about if they lose Costa and one of Matic or Fabregas due to injury as the post I was replying to was talking about injury to our summer signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Defenders are of far more pressing a concern than Vidal...

Every day I come in here and see this fact being largely usurped by 'concern' over the fact we are not spending the big bucks that Ed said we have on Fantasy football players.

We are one more injury away from not being able to field a full set of defenders in our managers chosen formation.

We need to get in a couple of defenders and after that if Vidal or whoever comes, well and good but I won't get too hot and bothered about it.

Of course I have full confidence LVG will sort it all out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TheTownie wrote: »
    We're getting updates about when the man is eating now.

BUT WHAT DID HE ORDER?!?!?!

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Vidal update! :pac:

Has to be the most ridiculous saga at this stage. We're getting updates about when the man is eating now.

"Vidal spotted eating a slice of cheese pizza. Said to be the favourite food of #10 Wayne Rooney. He's on his way boys!!" #Vidal #United #Saga #Football #Clueless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement