Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

bangkok wrote: »
    I see Gerrard has said beckham was one of the best english players he ever played with along with terry and Rooney. You have to remember what becks did for England as well, that game v Greece at ot was one of the best individual performances ever seen in England, he basically carried England through that game and scored the last min free kick as well

One of the greatest examples of the Beckham myth ever!

It was Greece...at Wembley!

And had he not scored, they'd have had a playoff against a cannon fodder side.

Absolute Sky hype and spin. It is mad stuff like this that has elevated Beckham in people's minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Is this straw man stuff or not reading posts correctly?

I agreed that he was probably in the top 15 or 20 players during a three year period.

Yet awards wise and perception wise he was near the very top.

I'd call elevating the 17th best player to 2nd / 3rd "massive overrating"...would you not?

Seriously your attaching to much to awards. Gary Lineker got 3rd and Lampard was second in 05. George Weah won it once and was second. They aren't rewarding players for performances over 5 tears. His performances in 98/99 were up there with the best. That year and the next was Becks in his prime.

The real superstars like Zidane and Ronaldo were up there over a much longer period of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Informed and intelligent fans should laugh at the notion of David Beckham as a truly great player.

So the we're all uninformed unintelligent fans and you're here to educate us?

Ya g'man

David Beckham was named as the 49th greatest player in the history of the game by World Soccer.

Seriously?

David Beckham was named as the 49th greatest player in the history of the game by World Soccer.

Seriously?

Sounds American!

• Advertisement

This is Gobobbles!

So the we're all uninformed unintelligent fans and you're here to educate us?

Ya g'man

Do you think that David Beckham was "a truly great player" (e.g. Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi)?

Because if you do, I worry for you.

We had similar excuse last summer, yet other clubs had their spending almost done before their new managers even sat foot in the clubs.

Van gaal is an intelligent man, he has already authorised getting rid of 3 players and signing two and considering we are down 3 players in defence, these deals should be wrapped up by now.

Considering the riquelme thing I'd say he wanted a look at the squad personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Very unfair comments re Beckham, one hell of a player. Won leagues in four different countries, one of very few English players that were successful in la liga. Was the best crosser of a ball I've ever seen in a utd jersey and along with Jaap Stam were two players that should never have been sold. Always came across as a decent lad who never spoke ill of the club

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ha this thread is turning into a Beckham debate

When do people expect our next signing being announced? Is it too much for me to be expecting before the end of the week? Usually when the chairman (or vice) comes back from the preseason tour and holds an interview about transfers we see a new signing within the next two weeks or so. Would love us to add to our defence before Monday, I imagine the players would then be called up to the tour.

• Advertisement

Wohoo, new thread, 10 pages already!? Time for some good reading...
    I'd question whether he'd have won as many individual awards or achieved as much generally had he looked more like Luke Chadwick.

ju73f6.gif

You are so wrong you wouldn't believe.

I was 20 in Summer 1995 when we lost 3-1 to Villa. I actually saw Hansen live saying about the kids. I was at the '94 and '96 Cup Finals. Kanchelskis was a player I really liked. I've watched as much United and as much Beckham as anyone. I remember his performance against Blackburn shortly after the Villa debacle vividly (midweek as I recall).

So don't patronise me. I've forgotten more about Manchester United than most people will ever know.

"You must be a teenager"...ridiculous statement

Don't patronise me? Pot kettle etc

Don't patronise me? Pot kettle etc

the pot calling a kettle the cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If only we could post Kate Upton..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Brings back memories of the De Gea debate.

If only we could post Kate Upton..

Maybe the next best thing will restore order!

article-2656523-1EB6043800000578-52_634x373.jpg

adox wrote: »
    Brings back memories of the De Gea debate.

Haha please say this doesn't spark up now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Breaking News

Man United New Home Bikini for the coming season just out

Thumbs up here

http://celenzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kate-upton-Bikini1.jpg

Mod Edit: Post edited down to only having link to pic. Has proven to be NSFW for some thread users.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Do you think that David Beckham was "a truly great player" (e.g. Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi)?

Beckham scored a truly great selection of goals and provided a truly great selection of assists.

I don't think anyone would put him on the level of those 4 you mention, but you'd have to be utterly deluded to look back on everything he did and not agree he was a smashing player.

Hey, if you're limiting it to that level then I wouldnt have rivaldo a great player either and he came 1st in 99.

He was a united great.
    He was great in 99.
    He didn't maintain that level his entire career but that's not what you are using as the centrepoint to your argument
    98/99 was his annus mirabilis and he was immense.

• Advertisement

So yeah.........vidal would be nice

Cantona was only ok.

Does anyone have any idea what our third kit will look like? Is it just going to the current one with a new sponsor or something new? Would like us to go back to a black alternate. Always liked the black kits.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what our third kit will look like? Is it just going to the current one with a new sponsor or something new? Would like us to go back to a black alternate. Always liked the black kits.

I like the blue ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Adamocovic wrote: »

lasts seasons away with the new sponsor on it

I like the blue ones.

I don't mind the blues, kind of preferred solid blue over the stripes. Maybe Im just sentimental as I always loved this kit :P

article-2130502-024723130000044D-2_634x423.jpg

NTMK wrote: »

Ah had a feeling, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Breaking News

Man United New Home Bikini for the coming season just out

Thumbs up here

http://celenzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kate-upton-Bikini1.jpg

Mod Edit: Post edited down to only having link to pic. Has proven to be NSFW for some thread users.

Why doesnt superthread show up anymore :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Irish94 wrote: »
    Wouldn't ya love to just settle down with her and enjoy a nice/quiet life on the outskirts of Milan maybe, or Paris. It's what dreams are made of.

Is she any good ringing lambs?

Irish94 wrote: »
    Wouldn't ya love to just settle down with her and enjoy a nice/quiet life on the outskirts of Milan maybe, or Paris. It's what dreams are made of.

She's the type of woman, you'd bring home, sit her down on the couch and just listen to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

She's the type of woman, you'd bring home, sit her down on the couch and just listen to her

The poor girl, I'd make sure we would have kids. So if she divorces me, at least I would get to see that smile every weekend. Too name the kid Margaret or P.J now is another story.

NTMK wrote: »

Not the best at photoshop and that but said I'd throw what it could look like if they go with the away from last year.

52yuck.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If I have to read the phrase "straw man stuff" or hear about Luke Chadwick again for the lifetime of this thread, I'm going to blow up the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Ed is talking a pretty good game at the moment... (as are the Guardian with their headline)

Louis van Gaal can break world transfer record for Manchester United

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/22/manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-transfer-record

• Advertisement

If I have to read the phrase "straw man stuff" or hear about Luke Chadwick again for the lifetime of this thread, I'm going to blow up the internet.

Luke chadwick is a straw man, his mother had an affair with worzel gummidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ed is talking a pretty good game at the moment... (as are the Guardian with their headline)

Louis van Gaal can break world transfer record for Manchester United

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/22/manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-transfer-record

Ed is setting himself up for a massive fall.

This thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

One of the greatest examples of the Beckham myth ever!

It was Greece...at Wembley!

And had he not scored, they'd have had a playoff against a cannon fodder side.

Absolute Sky hype and spin. It is mad stuff like this that has elevated Beckham in people's minds.
    Better yet, wasn't it at Old Trafford? I guess you really have forgotten more than most of us will ever know.....

I think this is the only thread in any forum I've ever visited where "straw man" is regularly brought up. Also seems to generally only ever be a certain type of person who mentions it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jesus you can't keep Ed quiet lately

There's only two ways this can go now

image_zps006597e3.jpg

Or

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BtLDHunIAAEHEgx.png:small

Like the design under the collar,never copped it in earlier pics,

I think this is the only thread in any forum I've ever visited where "straw man" is regularly brought up. Also seems to generally only ever be a certain type of person who mentions it.

Whenever I read a post that says "straw man" I always think of this dirty fecker! Can't take it seriously ha

wizard+of+oz+-+dorothy+and+scarecrow2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ed is setting himself up for a massive fall.

I don't think anyone really expects United to go out and smash any transfer records this summer it's just a little more comforting to read "we have no set budget, there's a pot full of cash and LVG can use it" instead of "there's no value in the market, we still have a strong squad and there are some good young players pushing for a first team spot."

Gonna be honest here and say I haven't a clue what anyone is on about in the last about 5 pages

BtLLEa6CYAIZSZq.jpg:large

Evra also dropped in to say hello.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Gonna be honest here and say I haven't a clue what anyone is on about in the last about 5 pages

Larry doesn't like Becks, the rest of us do. Simples :D

Will he go down? :P

1406066048595_Image_galleryImage_LOS_ANGELES_CA_JULY_21_EX.JPG

zerks wrote: »
    BtLLEa6CYAIZSZq.jpg:large

Evra also dropped in to say hello.

?

whatever happens with young i wish him the best, seems like decent bloke and i'd imagine confidence is as big an issue for him as anything right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Are many people planning on watching the game tomorrow night?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement