Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

TheTownie wrote: »
    Vidal update! :pac:

Has to be the most ridiculous saga at this stage. We're getting updates about when the man is eating now.

What is he eating? :confused:

It doesn't say dammit!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Mata would walk into the Chelsea team if it was any other manager besides Mourinho.

Maybe, matter of what you want I guess from an off-striker player. Oscar, Willian would offer more workrate than either Mata or Hazard. Hoping Mata can make Jose look a little silly if played centrally this year. He certainly wasn't going to do that playing out wide as Moyes had him last year.

On the Chelsea/United argument, depending on personal preference Chelsea would get maybe 7 players on a combined team, United maybe 4? Biggest disparity in selection would occur until you hit the attacking midfield/striker options where United are strong, but that's not going to be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Vidal belches after eating....jurno overheard this as confirmation of a move to Manchester!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Maybe, matter of what you want I guess from an off-striker player. Oscar, Willian would offer more workrate than either Mata or Hazard. Hoping Mata can make Jose look a little silly if played centrally this year. He certainly wasn't going to do that playing out wide as Moyes had him last year.

On the Chelsea/United argument, depending on personal preference Chelsea would get maybe 7 players on a combined team, United maybe 4? Biggest disparity in selection would occur until you hit the attacking midfield/striker options where United are strong, but that's not going to be enough.

Combined teams depending on the system but i would have Rooney, RVP and Mata is a starting team while a case could be made for De Gea.

Chelsea are far stronger in defence and midfield.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure if you read earlier post, it's about if they lose Costa and one of Matic or Fabregas due to injury as the post I was replying to was talking about injury to our summer signings.

Read it and thought I replied to it. Lose Costa, not ideal, but they have Drogba or Schurrle. Lose Matic or Fabregas and Ramires comes in. That's decent cover. Not every club can have the amount of strikers citee have.

Chelsea have lighter options in strikers than United alrite but that's the only place we'd be stronger than Chelsea.

Ramires would probably start defensive mid for United, he will be Chelsea's back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Please don't start making combined teams of United and Chelsea.
    Apart from the annoyance, it will make me sad to see how few United players will be on it.

Combined teams depending on the system but i would have Rooney, RVP and Mata is a starting team while a case could be made for De Gea.

Chelsea are far stronger in defence and midfield.

Keeper up for debate alrite, going on last year I'd go for Courtois who obviously wasn't even at Chelsea last year. Thought he was outstanding last year. Mata and RVP. would be my picks in forwards and Costa ahead of Rooney, he's an absolute bull and had a brilliant year last year. All depends on system, and as you said, Chelsea wipe the floor with United in defence and midfield.

Goes back to my original point, I think Chelsea a good bit clear of United right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Read it and thought I replied to it. Lose Costa, not ideal, but they have Drogba or Schurrle. Lose Matic or Fabregas and Ramires comes in. That's decent cover. Not every club can have the amount of strikers citee have.

Chelsea have lighter options in strikers than United alrite but that's the only place we'd be stronger than Chelsea.

Ramires would probably start defensive mid for United, he will be Chelsea's back up.

I really doubt with Costa and Fabregas/Matic out they would be competing for the title.

yeah we will be in even more trouble but I was talking only about Chelsea and City and how they cope if they lose their summer signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Anyone know if the Ángel di María to United thing is real... or is it him just saying he'd like to play with United..

also sorry if this is old news..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

rockal wrote: »
    Vidal belches after eating....jurno overheard this as confirmation of a move to Manchester!!

That's no less reasonable than:

Player says he's happy where he is. Club says they do not intend to sell him. United manager says he is not looking at buying anyone for at least three or four weeks. Journalists take that as confirmation he is moving to Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Goes back to my original point, I think Chelsea a good bit clear of United right now.

Chelsea, City and Arsenal are a good bit clear of United. Only the likes of Hummels and Vidal signings would bridge the gap.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I really doubt with Costa and Fabregas/Matic out they would be competing for the title.

yeah we will be in even more trouble but I was talking only about Chelsea and City and how they cope if they lose their summer signings.

Chelsea were close-ish last year. They've added Courtois (returning), Luis, Fabregas, Drogba and Costa to that. Now If three of those players get injured of course they will suffer a bit but they still did address their issues and would still be competing.

United finished 7th and added 2 players. Chelsea added 5 players to a stonger team and panel.

I can't see how Chelsea haven't addresed their weaknesses, whereas United have ongoing, unaddressed issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

All this Chelsea talk :pac: Thought this was the United thread.

Vidal v Di Maria v Strootman. WHO WILL SIGN? WHO KNOWS? Tune in next week, same time, same bat-channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Please don't start making combined teams of United and Chelsea.
    Apart from the annoyance, it will make me sad to see how few United players will be on it.

de gea

ivanovic cahill terry shaw

mata Herrera fabregas hazard

rooney van persie

6 united 5 Chelsea :p

Chelsea, City and Arsenal are a good bit clear of United. Only the likes of Hummels and Vidal signings would bridge the gap.

Chelsea, Citee yeah. Never convinced by Arsenal! They got Alexis alrite but you never know with them!

Anyway my hands are tired from typing on the effing phone.

United to win the league for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For me the quotes and "calmness" exerted by Vidal indicates to me he doesn't really care about moving, and that he most likely won't.

This to me smacks of someone who's agent is advising them to be coy, that if they move they will get a massive payout, if he stays, he will get a massive bumper contract from Juve.

I safely assume that the club are working on other possibilities, but I think it's best to just make a very public bid for Vidal, and then leave the ball firmly in his and Juve's court. If Juve reject, and Vidal want's to come, then he needs to be public about it and it plays into our hands. If not, then we can put it to bed and move on.

Ideally you want to operate transfers on the QT, but every now and again it doesn't hurt to make a big public, in the hope of forcing a public response.

bangkok wrote: »
    de gea

ivanovic cahill terry shaw

mata Herrera fabregas hazard

rooney van persie

6 united 5 Chelsea :p

Can't wait for the calls of Costa> then RVP & Rooney.

Have a funny feeling he is going to be a bit of a flop. I'm not subscribing to the kneejerk assessments made by people after his WC where he was purely being rushed back from a big injury, but I just don't see him being as proflific for Chelsea as he was with Athletico.

Their constant rejection of Lukaku baffles me beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

United finished 7th and added 2 players. Chelsea added 5 players to a stonger team and panel.

I can't see how Chelsea haven't addresed their weaknesses, whereas United have ongoing, unaddressed issues.

You also have to take into account one major issue/weakness that United have addressed...

Moyes - LVG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

The more I think of Woodward and his 'we have money to burn' battle cry the more annoyed I get. Unless there were deals in place it was a rather silly thing to say.

Hopefully the club can get some CM's and defenders in soon but at the moment it annoys me when I see the club having to think about Valenica as a RB because one of our fit defenders is sent home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Cavani rumours need to go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

The more I think of Woodward and his 'we have money to burn' battle cry the more annoyed I get. Unless there were deals in place it was a rather silly thing to say.

Hopefully the club can get some CM's and defenders in soon but at the moment it annoys me when I see the club having to think about Valenica as a RB because one of our fit defenders is sent home.

I think there is a need to calm down on transfers. It was always going to take time with VG not starting until mid-July and Woodward surely knows his reputation is on the line if he fails in this window. Shaw was a no brainer and we had no left back, Herrara was a case of moving before his price increased in June. Apart from that I would assume United have their targets (and know which ones are likely to succeed unlike last year’s carry on with Fabregas) and are ready to pull the trigger once VG has seen his squad in action for a couple of weeks.

Reckon he’s already made up his mind on Smalling and Cleverly and these 2 will either be moved on or confirmed as squad players thereby giving green light to go out and sign a CM and CB. Hopefully the Rafael injury will bring home the fact that more than 1 new defender is required.

Think the whole Di Maria / Cavani sagas are just smokescreen – can’t understand why United would target them. NO CL so forward options should be more than enough to do well in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

say that rumour is rubbish, hes on his way to Hong Kong at the moment so nothing imminent there anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

This place would go into meltdown if Cavani was signed and nobody else !!

So, Michael Carrick, our most competent and arguably strongest CM option after Ander Herrera, is 33 years old today. He is also out injured for another month or two. I'm not going to say 'Happy Birthday Michael' because I seriously doubt he has a Boards account.

So Ed, pretty please, with sugar on top, go sign a fúckin midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

United Report ‏@UtdReport
    Sky Italy confirms: Arturo Vidal will today talks with Allegri (Juve coach), Marotta (Juve CEO) and Felicevich (Vidal agent) [1/2].
    Sky Italy confirms: If an offer of €40m or higher is presented by #mufc, they will discuss the offer and the future of Vidal. [2/2]

€40m is like £30m...right? It would just not make sense to not bite the hand off for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

€40m is like £30m...right? It would just not make sense to not bite the hand off for that.

If it was true. Which it is most certainly not.

The only accurate stuff you will get will be anyone with links deep into Juventus or Vidal's agent. Nothing will be coming from United to journalists.

And that presents the problem of misleading information being intentionally fed to journalists...as often happens.

Personally not overly tracking Vidal talk. If it happens great...but it becomes more unlikely as time goes on. Seems more like a play for him to get a big payday and not really caring who from.

Still a good few weeks left to do business....we have been able to get two first teamers into pre season which is a big help. Is hope any other first team signings are done quicker and hopefully after Vidal has his chats we can know what's going to happen either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

until Woodwards obsession with him ends, those rumors wont go away.

not sure who it was that reported it (could be Mitten, Ogdan or Taylor), but Woodward wants a marquee signing to kick off his reign as CE. last summer it was Bale, then it turned to Cavani and he has been obsessed with him since, but Van Gaal is not too keen because of RVP.

they also said that Woodward does not see Vidal as the marquee signing that everybody else sees and he himself is not that keen on spending big money, when he can get all the "glory" with Cavani.
    This place would go into meltdown if Cavani was signed and nobody else !!

not quiet, you will still have the usual head in sand brigade saying it has been a good window and they are happy with our deals - there are many fans on here who dont care how much we spend or who we sign, but as long as we sign people they are happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

not sure who it was that reported it (could be Mitten, Ogdan or Taylor), but Woodward wants a marquee signing to kick off his reign as CE. last summer it was Bale, then it turned to Cavani and he has been obsessed with him since, but Van Gaal is not too keen because of RVP.

they also said that Woodward does not see Vidal as the marquee signing that everybody else sees and he himself is not that keen on spending big money, when he can get all the "glory" with Cavani.

not quiet, you will still have the usual head in sand brigade saying it has been a good window and they are happy with our deals - there are many fans on here who dont care how much we spend or who we sign, but as long as we sign people they are happy.

How do we know Woodward has an obsession though. These are same journos most agree are making stuff up.

On the last bit whos saying that about signing whoever. Most say we need a cb or 2 and a cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

not sure who it was that reported it (could be Mitten, Ogdan or Taylor), but Woodward wants a marquee signing to kick off his reign as CE. last summer it was Bale, then it turned to Cavani and he has been obsessed with him since, but Van Gaal is not too keen.

Yeh that definitely sounds true :rolleyes:. How the **** do you actually believe this ****. If the same people said Woodward doesn't want Cavani and is going all out to get Vidal you would be the first person commenting saying something like 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

How do we know Woodward has an obsession though. These are same journos most agree are making stuff yp .

I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion he wants a marquee singing. I think Mata firmly ticked off that box in fairness.

And United arn't a club that allows the CEO run away with transfers on his own. The manager makes the calls on who he wants or doesnt want. This would have been known to Woodward, even moreso now with Van Gaal, where a signing definitly wont be pushed on him.

I think that is a bit of nonsense to be honest. Cavani rumours gathered pace because he clearly voiced he was considering his options at PSG, and was to have talks with the clubs owners(going over the manager btw)during the summer to get re-assurences about his future.

I think where the United rumour came from, is that perhaps there was good truth in the thought that Moyes was going to part ways with RVP. I don't think RVP gave it his all last season, I think he used "injuries" as an excuse to distance himself from the disaster unfolding, and that he himself was maybe going to push through a move after some unusual comments. A lot of people assumed Cavani would be replacing Rooney, if that ever came to pass under Moyes, I believe it would be very much replacing RVP.

I don't see Cavani coming at all. He clearly wants to be at a club comeptiting for titles and champions league, but most importantly playing through the middle. I don't think he will get that while RVP is in place. The only possible way I can see it happening is if LVG signals to Van Persie that he won't be used every game, which again I don't think is likely because of the way he plays up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

That some amount of nonsense regarding Cavani!

Yea a good way to start of a relationship with the new manager by forcing a player on to him just to try and make you look good.

Fellaini is back in training today with a full afro again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cavani is being dangled round the shop window. Lots of stories saying he's unhappy with playing second fiddle to Ibra, so he's going to keep getting linked with the smallish group of clubs that could afford him

Fellaini is back in training today with a full afro again!!

Ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I can't believe some papers going with the €100 million valuation that Roma have put on Strootman. It was obviously said tongue-in-cheek, and the Roma boss had no intention of discussing it further, so threw a random figure at the journos.

Re Vidal, I'd be suprised if there wasn't an initial discussion held with Juve about the transfer, and that a possible fee is being discussed, but I don't think the transfer will be going ahead unless Vidal says he wants to move. Didn't he say last week that he wasn't going to be talking to Juve until today anyway.

Re the defense, we badly need 2 signings here, especially if we're going with three at the back. I think Keane will be given an opportunity this year. But we still need cover at LB and RB (even more so now given that Raf is injured). So that's 3-4 signings that we definitely need to make, without including a CM. They'll have a busy few weeks ahead.

The Di Maria story makes zero sense to United at this stage, and makes even less sense in the 3-5-2 formation. I'd prefer if we offered Dortmund some of that £45 million for Hummels. Talk this morning is that Dortmund are looking to sell 5% of shares in order to increase funds.

Ha?

Pictures of him going around a few weeks back with his head shaved, now hes back in training with a full afro, strange! Sorry went off topic just made me laugh ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm sorry, but your entire post is borderline delusional:

1. What is this "obsession" Woodward has with Cavani? Where did you pull this from? Have we ever been linked with Cavani other than by the rags?

2. Do you think Van Gaal is going to stand for club targeting players without his seal of approval? Keeping in mind that he has just ordered changes at Carrington, and the structure of future pre-season tours?

3. Why would he want a "marquee" signing to kick off his reign when he has already signed three players spending ~£90+ million, and his reign started more than a year ago?

4. He already signed Juan f*cking Mata from a Premier League rival for a record fee. Is that not a marquee signing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pictures of him going around a few weeks back with his head shaved, now hes back in training with a full afro, strange! Sorry went off topic just made me laugh ha!

It wasn't shaved obviously, it was pulled back and tied or in cornrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Anyone think he'll be given the role of holding midfielder this season with Carrick missing the start of the season?

• Advertisement

I always thought the equaliser was an insult.... :sad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'd prefer Falcao over Cavani, just saying. but we don't need either...some defenders and more for midfield please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I don't believe this obsession idea, there's no evidence for it at all aside Woodward saying he'd like to see the best players play in England rather than Spain. Can't remember Ogden saying anything about Woodward being obsessed, same for Mitten but he'd probably be the most likely. I do remember Pilib DeBruin, who always overreacts, going off on one on Twitter a while ago about it claiming it came from Taylor. Not about to dig back through Taylor's entire timeline but I remember him posting these

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90106193&postcount=6115

He then followed up those tweets by saying that although the club looked at Cavani he was not a priority (cb and cm were). Hardly reeks of obsession does it?

We're not singing Cavani lads, relax. If we sign anything it'll be a midfielder, defender or at a stretch, a winger.

One of Vidal/Strootman/Blind/Vermaelen/Hummels/Di maria will sign before the window closes, imo.

Lot of reports around now about that Vidal has expressed his desire to go to Man Utd. I count about 6 foreign papers/correspondents at the moment.

Still highly skeptical myself.

Lot of reports around now about that Vidal has expressed his desire to go to Man Utd. I count about 6 foreign papers/correspondents at the moment.

Still highly skeptical myself.

Something similar was bouncing around last night but was all traced back to a sole Sunday paper as reference.

Interesting times ahead anyway. Who was it that Cork DJ said we would sign by the way?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Something similar was bouncing around last night but was all traced back to a sole Sunday paper as reference.

These are reports emanating from Italy & Chile so will probably have different sources.

These are reports emanating from Italy & Chile so will probably have different sources.

I wouldnt be surprised if they all came back to the Daily Mail at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but your entire post is borderline delusional:

1. What is this "obsession" Woodward has with Cavani? Where did you pull this from? Have we ever been linked with Cavani other than by the rags?

2. Do you think Van Gaal is going to stand for club targeting players without his seal of approval? Keeping in mind that he has just ordered changes at Carrington, and the structure of future pre-season tours?

3. Why would he want a "marquee" signing to kick off his reign when he has already signed three players spending ~£90+ million, and his reign started more than a year ago?

4. He already signed Juan f*cking Mata from a Premier League rival for a record fee. Is that not a marquee signing?

i suggest you send daniel taylor a tweet or email then as opposed to having you usual toys out of pram rants at me, something you seem to be obsessed with yourself last few months.

Taylor had this to say this weeks before Van Gaal got the job.
    Woodward is already pressing ahead with an extensive summer of transfer business.
    High-level sources have confirmed that he has held detailed discussions about Edinson Cavani
    United believe they are already in a strong position transfer-wise because of several months of work behind the scenes involving Woodward, Moyes and their network of agents and scouting staff. Cavani would cost up to £60m, breaking United's transfer record.
    Cavani would suit Woodward's ambitions to bring in one of the sport's modern superstars

theres dozens of other articles out there and am sure you can find muiltiple other references to Cavani and Woodward wanting him if you want. theres also many references out there that Van Gaal doesnt want him. i also never said during my post that we will sign him so im not quite sure who you can say i am delusional when the information is not mine.

and Juan Mata, considering the shi*e we were in at the time, the lack of midfielders and the fact he didnt have any impact on our season is not classed as a marquee signing by many fans apart from on boards.

lets not forget, Woodward endured criticism from all angles (not just from me surprisingly) until the transfer window opened, with practically every top news outlet having a go at him and people such as Keane and Scholes also said he had to prove himself good enough for the job. he is under pressure to deliver and remain so until he does.

he wants a big signing - its not my opinion or views, its whats being said. theres another article that was linked here many months ago (possibly by Taylor also) that Woodward was not liked behind the scenes due to his "all about me" attitude and wanting to grab all the attention.
    IrishIrish wrote: »
    Yeh that definitely sounds true :rolleyes:. How the **** do you actually believe this ****. If the same people said Woodward doesn't want Cavani and is going all out to get Vidal you would be the first person commenting saying something like 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

likewise, it falls under the category that anything that may not be popular with fans just isnt true, that loads of posters on here have. theres absolutely nothing unbelievable about the fact that Woodward may like a player such as Cavani and was obsessed with signing him and the new manager, now doesnt due to his allegiances to RVP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement