Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

it would be hilarious if it turned out Vermaelen's wikipedia page was edited by that journalist, desperate for a hook on which to hang a story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Oh my good God. They're citing his wikipedia page being changed as a positive?

Whatever happened to the Arda Turan rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

he wants a big signing - its not my opinion or views, its whats being said.

nobody is arguing with that bit, it's the "obsessed with Cavani" thing

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-arturo-vidal-bid-of-48m-imminent--reports-9632938.html
    This morning Gazzetta Dello Sport reported that United would bid €60m for the Chile international whilst also offering him a four-year contract worth around £6m-a-year.

Gazetta: http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Juventus/27-07-2014/juventus-vidal-manchester-united-allegri-60-milioni-801368683647.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Do I dare to believe Vidal might be signed by us...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Gazetta source is a rag, I'm convinced no one knows anything... but the boards. Just a load of journalist throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks in the slight chance they're correct and wear that prediction as some sort of badge of honour.

Do I dare to believe Vidal might be signed by us...?

I wouldn't.... yet. It's still very much in the "preparing a bid" (you know, because you gotta' triple check those sums which takes times) or "will bid" or "planning to bid" as opposed to a more concrete "have bid".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone's shirt order still say picking? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

lads, don't get too hyped up yet

i think Woodie is working in the big one still

CR7 is coming home

He's achieved it all at RM so he'wants to come home to Mr Alex and Ed and LVG and RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Gazetta source is a rag, I'm convinced no one knows anything... but the boards. Just a load of journalist throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks in the slight chance they're correct and wear that prediction as some sort of badge of honour.

the main reason ive not got a belief that Vidal will sign for us is the fact that not one normally reliable source has said we are interested in him.

gives me the impression than anything coming out is from Vidals agent who is feeding international press and this is whats driving the story. Nurse, Ogdan and co have official stance that club are denying it, hence why they are not pushing it much, if not at all

Could be him trying to wrangle another contract extension out of Juve too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

He only signed one before the turn of the year, dunno why he'd push for another one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Right now, that's the best way to look at it. Wouldn't be the first or last time it has happend to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He only signed one before the turn of the year, dunno why he'd push for another one

Money...cold hard cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

All the Vidal stuff is coming from the Italien side, this is good, I'd say he and his agent want the move but I'm not sure we want him or we are just being very coy about it and keeping our cards close to our chest a la the Herrerra and Shaw deals.

I think Vidal will either be a United player and it'll be done quickly in the next day or 2 or we won't even go for him and just wait for Strootman. I don't believe that we will be turned down if we go for him, we have the money to turn both his and Juventus' head.

I haven't been told this by anyone who I choose to believe or any of that malarkey, it's just me reading between the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Money...cold hard cash

He is at the wrong club if he is looking for big money. Bring him to Old Trafford and we will give him all the monies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

J. Marston wrote: »
    Anyone's shirt order still say picking? :(

Mine says shipped, I shoulda paid extra for the express postage!

The Vidal stuff could only be coming out now because 1) he arrived back in training today and 2) had his knee checked out today. Journo's put two and two together and end up with Vidal to United.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he is on the way but... highly doubtful.

Yeah he's back from his holiday so bound to put more petrol on the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

ericzeking wrote: »
    All the Vidal stuff is coming from the Italien side, this is good,

Not if it's coming from the Italian version of the Metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Or the Italian version of the Daily Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BtgVscWCAAEsiK-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

When I say good I mean it in the sense that we are not blabbing all our business in the press, not neccessarily that the info coming from Italy is 'good' or reliable....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

zerks wrote: »
    BtgVscWCAAEsiK-.jpg

Lets start the debate on how he jumped from the sinking ship again :rolleyes:

I would love to think it was solely because of Moyes, but maybe that's just the Vidic fanboy in me.
    He was the only defender in that back four that I really wanted to keep!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

So who will be the panic buy target come the end of August?

Schneiderlin maybe? (If still at Southampton by then)

Schneiderlin would be a great signing :pac:

I think he does a great job in midfield.

I would love to think it was solely because of Moyes, but maybe that's just the Vidic fanboy in me.
    He was the only defender in that back four that I really wanted to keep!

Watched him the other night for Inter,he looked unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Schneiderlin would be a great signing :pac:

I think he does a great job in midfield.

Not saying he wouldn't be although the word panic does give a negative connotation to it. Just speculating as to who would be a target once all this marquee signing nonsense is truly dead.

• Advertisement

Watched him the other night for Inter,he looked unreal.

Easily two good years left in him. Being paired with Rio made him look a lot worse than he was because he was playing both CB positions at any given time! :cool:

Easily two good years left in him. Being paired with Rio made him look a lot worse than he was because he was playing both CB positions at any given time! :cool:

He actually spent most of the time playing LB to cover for Evra going missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He actually spent most of the time playing LB to cover for Evra going missing.

Both of those comments are mostly true!

I'll miss Vidic but not Rio & Evra so much. They're nice guys but they were liabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'll miss Vidic but not Rio & Evra so much. They're nice guys but they were liabilities.

and vidic wasn't? seemed to get sent off a lot v Liverpool when things weren't going utds way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    and vidic wasn't? seemed to get sent off a lot v Liverpool when things weren't going utds way

It's effort as well though, Vidic never lacked effort, the other two looked they didn't give a hoot sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

we only played liverpool 2/3 times a season, he got sent off in a fraction of the games he played against them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

A lot of those sendings off came because Vidic was the only one back because the others went on walk about near the end of the matches, so his only options were to take the red or let a player past him and have a simple goal.
    Bar the sending off in the 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford, I thought he was very unfortunate for the others, where he was left in very unlucky situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

imo vidic never came back to the same player he was before he got injured, but in a back 3 I would imagine he could have been suited to it for at least another year same with rio, evra could have been good in that system too, less defensive work more attacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

i suggest you send daniel taylor a tweet or email then as opposed to having you usual toys out of pram rants at me, something you seem to be obsessed with yourself last few months.

I think I'll just ignore this stuff for the good of the thread.

As regards the rest of the post, I'll let people make up their own minds if you gave any reasonable, logical answers to any of four questions I asked.

Though I will say, both of your posts have started about various people being "obsessed", and they have then all gone on to speak about Woodward. Delicious irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Same as this. I'd have loved to see Vidic stay at the club. Particularly as the centerpiece of a back three, would be a fantastic role for him.

When you look at how Chelsea used John Terry last season, and how great he still looked at times (despite what we may think of him personally, you have to give the devil his due), I think Vidic can still perform to the same level as him.

Defensively, Mourinho had a great setup around Terry. It protected his weakness and used his strengths. He had protection from Azpilicueta. He had a fairly mobile partner (with Luiz or Cahill). It allowed Terry to do what he does best, tackle, block, head, defend for his life. Vidic has exactly the same qualities.

However, compare that to the way Vidic was exposed with zero cover from Evra, and often left to rely on his weakest attribute (his pace) to do that. Add to that, that he was playing behind a substandard midfield, and paired with Rio, under a manager who didn't seem to have a game plan.

bullvine wrote: »
    Lets start the debate on how he jumped from the sinking ship again :rolleyes:

i think we could have won the league last year and he still would have left - its down to the decision to give only one year rolling contracts to players 32 or over!

he probably would have been given 3 more years anyway, but looks like Inter gave him more money and more stability in terms of contract, so he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

"I made it clear at the time Man United would have to tell me they didn't want me and that happened at the end of season - the club said thank you and goodbye,"

Rio sounding the slightest bit bitter? He was lucky United held onto him as long as they did – any other club would have “suggested” he go about 2 or 3 seasons ago. Fergie didn’t want the headache of building a new centre back pairing so just rumbled on with him despite the fact he was only good for half a season and ineffective for most of that.

Coat22 wrote: »
    "I made it clear at the time Man United would have to tell me they didn't want me and that happened at the end of season - the club said thank you and goodbye,"

Rio sounding the slightest bit bitter? He was lucky United held onto him as long as they did – any other club would have “suggested” he go about 2 or 3 seasons ago. Fergie didn’t want the headache of building a new centre back pairing so just rumbled on with him despite the fact he was only good for half a season and ineffective for most of that.

he had one of his best ever seasons in 12/13, so saying he should have been left go 2 or 3 seasons ago is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Fergie must have got a massive headache when Rio was in the Team of the season in Fergies last season :rolleyes:

So many peoples opinions of Rio's ability are clouded by their dislike for him. A lot of people look very stupid with some of the comments they come out with in relation to him.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Fergie must have got a massive headache when Rio was in the Team of the season in Fergies last season :rolleyes:

So many peoples opinions of Rio's ability are clouded by their dislike for him. A lot of people look very stupid with some of the comments they come out with in relation to him.

His place in the 12/13 TOTY was as much down to the fact there was very little in terms of real competition that season. Add into that the fact that united walked the league and his place is hardly surprising. I’m not saying he wasn’t any use to united for the past 2/3 seasons but he should not have been first choice centre back in a team with Champions League aspirations. I think if someone of a Van Gaal pedigree had come in 3 seasons ago he wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did – in fact I’d say Moyes would have been rid of him last summer but was afraid to rock that particular boat in his first months in charge – bet he regrets that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Agreed. I will never understand how his Twitter comments somehow supercede being one of our greatest ever defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

His place in the 12/13 TOTY was as much down to the fact there was very little in terms of real competition that season. Add into that the fact that united walked the league and his place is hardly surprising. I’m not saying he wasn’t any use to united for the past 2/3 seasons but he should not have been first choice centre back in a team with Champions League aspirations. I think if someone of a Van Gaal pedigree had come in 3 seasons ago he wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did – in fact I’d say Moyes would have been rid of him last summer but was afraid to rock that particular boat in his first months in charge – bet he regrets that now.

Yeh Fergie didn't know what he was doing. Thank god we have King Luis to save us now.

Rio was a fantastic defender, and still was 2 seasons ago and named in team of the year. Last year he was poor but the whole team was. Every single player. If Fergie had stayed on last season I would have expected another strong season from Rio.

Yeh Fergie didn't know what he was doing. Thank god we have King Luis to save us now.

Rio was a fantastic defender, and still was 2 seasons ago and named in team of the year. Last year he was poor but the whole team was. Every single player. If Fergie had stayed on last season I would have expected another strong season from Rio.

One thing is for certain he was extremely poor last season but up until then, he's been unreal.

That’s not what I said – Fergie knew how to get the best out of the crew that he had, added RVP and knew he could win a league with one last push but I would bet if he’d been 5 years younger and looking to remain at Unitied that Rio wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did. A makeweight like Moyes was never going to have the balls to deal with the situation but someone LIKE a van Gaal would have. Yes Rio was a class defender and well able for 80% of EPL opposition. But you’re seriously suggesting he was of the standard required to push for champions league success over the past 2 or 3 years? He was effectively past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mine says shipped, I shoulda paid extra for the express postage!

Mine is still in picking, got 1 away 1 home, rooney and mata on both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement