Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Black text on a dark grey background makes me something something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mine is still in picking, got 1 away 1 home, rooney and mata on both.

Same but no printing,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Coat22 wrote: »
    That’s not what I said – Fergie knew how to get the best out of the crew that he had, added RVP and knew he could win a league with one last push but I would bet if he’d been 5 years younger and looking to remain at Unitied that Rio wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did. A makeweight like Moyes was never going to have the balls to deal with the situation but someone LIKE a van Gaal would have. Yes Rio was a class defender and well able for 80% of EPL opposition. But you’re seriously suggesting he was of the standard required to push for champions league success over the past 2 or 3 years? He was effectively past it.

He was in the team of the season two years ago when Fergie was managing him carefully and still very good.

Last season Moyes managed him horribly playing him in 2 or 3 games in a row which he didn't have the legs for.

Sometimes i wonder if people remember past a previous season when talking about a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Black text on a dark grey background makes me something something

Go crazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Go crazy?

tumblr_lzhj8wRp921r5frxco1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭secman

De vrij to Lazio.........

I suppose it has to be a taken that LVG just didn't want him.. money is available.....Lazio hardly an elite club and the fee wasn't huge for a 23 year old, LVG must have something up his sleeve, the guy leaves very little to chance.. especially as previously stated, when you look at all he other changes being brought in......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is it just me, or is there a real shortage of top class/world class CB out there at the moment? we are linked to Hummels, but apart from him who else could we realistically get thats potentially looking to leave a top club?

Dr Vrij was somebody that i was sure we'd be in for - cheap, young, had a decent world cup and is known to Van Gaal so its strange we didnt go for him. we could do with 3 defenders and with him gone, its a very viable option gone also.

on that basis, even though not one person on here would have signed him 5 or 6 weeks ago (and for a very very low fee) de Vrij would have been a decent signing, though of course nowhere near the answer to our problems

in saying that id rather have him on the bench than no defenders or more to the point, once our inevitable yearly injury crisis kicks in, id rather have him on the pitch than playing Carrick or fletcher in there.

its only a matter of time before Vermaelen comes in now surely unless his injury holds up the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

De vrij would have been a good purchase for 6.5 million. I really hope this is part of LVGs master plan, and not losing out because of the lack of a plan at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Maybe De Vrij simply didn't want to come. Maybe his missus likes Italy, maybe he doesn't like the crappy weather, maybe he prefers the style of football in Italy.

Who knows.

• Advertisement

Maybe he was never a target...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Maybe De Vrij simply didn't want to come. Maybe his missus likes Italy, maybe he doesn't like the crappy weather, maybe he prefers the style of football in Italy.

Who knows.

Or maybe LVG is waiting until the pre season tour is complete so that he can properly assess the current squad before deciding in new players.
    Think they are due back in England on the 4th of August. Hopefully after that we might get started on transfers.
    Leon osman might still be available! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Maybe he was never a target...

Errm its blatantly obvious that he was never a target at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm just hoping this supposed media blackout is true and there are advanced negotiations with genuine targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

DrPhilG wrote: »

Who knows.

If players are choosing Lazio over us then we have serious problems , that would be like a player choosing westham over real Madrid. If we wanted him we would have gotten him, better wages and a much better stage. Theres no way he chose Lazio over us , we just weren't interested.

Errm its blatantly obvious that he was never a target at all.

Errm that's what I just said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Some Italian DJ who played at Tomorrowland (festival in Belgium) posted on Facebook that he saw Fellaini with the sporting director of Napoli in his hotel in Brussels over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Some Italian DJ who played at Tomorrowland (festival in Belgium) posted on Facebook that he saw Fellaini with the sporting director of Napoli in his hotel in Brussels over the weekend

VgETv2a.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is it just me, or is there a real shortage of top class/world class CB out there at the moment? we are linked to Hummels, but apart from him who else could we realistically get thats potentially looking to leave a top club?

Dr Vrij was somebody that i was sure we'd be in for - cheap, young, had a decent world cup and is known to Van Gaal so its strange we didnt go for him. we could do with 3 defenders and with him gone, its a very viable option gone also.

on that basis, even though not one person on here would have signed him 5 or 6 weeks ago (and for a very very low fee) de Vrij would have been a decent signing, though of course nowhere near the answer to our problems

in saying that id rather have him on the bench than no defenders or more to the point, once our inevitable yearly injury crisis kicks in, id rather have him on the pitch than playing Carrick or fletcher in there.

its only a matter of time before Vermaelen comes in now surely unless his injury holds up the deal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90011329&postcount=2486

I had mentioned him in April as someone we should look at signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Have to say this is my favourite rumour of the summer.

Would have loved to experience Tomorrowland :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Have to say this is my favourite rumour of the summer.

Would have loved to experience Tomorrowland :(

Haha love this. As if he knew what the sporting director of Napoli looks like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Haha love this. As if he knew what the sporting director of Napoli looks like :D

Or what Fellaini looks like since his haircut.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Zico wrote: »
    Or what Fellaini looks like since his haircut.:)

Because he posted a picture of it online for the world to see?

Annoyingly that rumour sounds credible but this is silly season so I'd still be 99% sure it's bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

He didnt even cut it, not that it matters anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

All very confusing here, strong smell of 12 months ago coming out of Old Trafford. Just get the f*****g deals done. All the other top clubs have most of their business done and we seemingly are still farting about. Do they not realise that if they're not in and have pre season done that it'll be nearly xmas before we can see any type of form coming from them.

I'm getting a pain in me hole checking this thread every couple of hours

• Advertisement

All very confusing here, strong smell of 12 months ago coming out of Old Trafford. Just get the f*****g deals done. All the other top clubs have most of their business done and we seemingly are still farting about. Do they not realise that if they're not in and have pre season done that it'll be nearly xmas before we can see any type of form coming from them.

Yeah, it's starting to feel all too familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Have I missed anything lads been away since Friday heard absolutely no transfer news etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'll get a bit worried if there's no transfers this week, there's no excuses left as all should be back from holidays at this point

We still need two centre backs at least, along with the midfield problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Surely Adidas after agreeing that massive deal will want the best players at United wearing their apparrel

Have I missed anything lads been away since Friday heard absolutely no transfer news etc

Linked to Di Maria and Cavani - though obviously BS.

Continually linked to Vidal - still nothing concrete, and starting to look unlikely.

Linked to De Vrij - until he signed for Lazio for 6.5 million today.

Not much else. Rafeal is injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see this dark cloud coming my way.

I'm still in the sunshine bit and the cloud could disband to stay sunny or it could get nearer and come a thunderstorm.

I have been so confident all summer, but next 2 weeks will tell a lot.

The frustrating thing is we are only about 3-4 players from having a serious team. But those positions we need filling are huge.

I don't want to join the dark side but everyday for past week it getting less and less brighter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Surely Adidas after agreeing that massive deal will want the best players at United wearing their apparrel

The Adidas deal, and the cash that comes with it, won't kick in till next summer. They can happily wait till then, since any players bought now would be in Nike gear....

Personally won't be judging the window till, at minimum, first day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think it's fair to say that our need for players is greater than it was this time last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Nah unfortunately they want RM to have them more.

In fact, rumour has it the equalizer signed a feeder agreement with Real just to get his hands on the 750 million.

This may or may not be true

Question: is the squad stronger or weaker than at this time last year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Squad would be weaker; we've lost 4 "top" players and only got in 2.

First team however, imo, is stronger and with less games to play, we don't need a massively strong squad. A stronger first team is a bigger priority to me...

Weaker.

The league is little over two weeks away and as it stands Cleverley is our best option to start in midfield, I don't know how you can be positive about the personnel at this stage, the manager is radiating positivity but I don't want to see United playing negative football with the resources the club has.. which is what it will come down to if we don't get some midfielders in.

The next two weeks are massive for the club, I hope they've learned from last year that leaving it to the last minute is disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I don't know about the rest of you fellas, but I'm feeling pretty damn positive about transfer business in the next few weeks. I'm putting my trust in Eddy.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Squad would be weaker; we've lost 4 "top" players and only got in 2.

First team however, imo, is stronger and with less games to play, we don't need a massively strong squad. A stronger first team is a bigger priority to me...

A stronger first team yes but, as it stands the defence is one injury away from crisis. I can't ever remember there being so few defenders at the club, especially CBs and this at a time when playing 3 CBs looks like the way forward this season.

If more CBs are brought in our season is ****ed IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭secman

I'm getting a pain in me hole checking this thread every couple of hours[/quote]

Try keeping your phone on a desk or something, much handier.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think with the lose of Vidic we are weaker but gaining Ander and Shaw has somewhat addressed some glaring issues. The fact we have no champions league and a manager who can hopefully keep RVP fit we may be a bit stronger. Sign Hummels and we are definitely stronger but at the moment we are very similar to last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

I'd say stronger, we've gained Fellaini, Mata, Shaw and Herrera since this time last year and Vidic is the only big loss, the rest were passed their best anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Vidal has been in a meeting with Juve hierarchy since Friday it seems, call back next week it might be over by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Its all so vague, basically saying "we are not selling him but we will if he wants". If he wanted to stay, he would have said it outright by now... wouldn't he??

Finally some Sky Sports news on Vidal:
    Juventus managing director Giuseppe Marotta has reiterated the club's desire to keep hold of Arturo Vidal as long as he is happy in Turin.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12961/9398382/transfer-news-juventus-determined-to-keep-hold-of-manchester-united-target-arturo-vidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

This is a rumours thread aswell, your best of checking Manutd.com every few hours rather than trolling through pages of rumours and random discussion. It may help your pain in the hole!

adox wrote: »
    Weaker.

Stronger in some areas, weaker in others. I think as a team, we are stronger in that we will get more points than last season but will have a few crazy scoring games along the way.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Its all so vague, basically saying "we are not selling him but we will if he wants". If he wanted to stay, he would have said it outright by now... wouldn't he??

Finally some Sky Sports news on Vidal:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12961/9398382/transfer-news-juventus-determined-to-keep-hold-of-manchester-united-target-arturo-vidal

Sounds like a case of both parties (Vidal and Juve) hoping that the other pushes the deal along.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Stronger in some areas, weaker in others. I think as a team, we are stronger in that we will get more points than last season but will have a few crazy scoring games along the way.

I agree the starting 11 is stronger but I think the squad is weaker. No cover in defence at all.

• Advertisement

On paper the squad is probably stronger but it doesn't really matter because it isn't good enough, when you see Liverpool will likely spend 50 or 60 million on their defence in the next few weeks it makes you wonder what the delay with us is

I want to see Ed's emphatic words converted into players signing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement